5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News on a tune?

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The pedal commander cannot alter the torque curves. It's not magic and its not a tune, it can do nothing but alter the delay/smoothing of the stock pedal input.
All of that IS in a tune, and if the tune isn't using proper curves and maps and mapping throttle input, especially an "erroneous" one you really don't want that tune on your truck. That's why the throttle defaults to a high idle rather than WOT or dead if there is a problem.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I forgot to add that on my way to work I bumped a Deer. I come
around the corner and four Deer were having a meeting in my lane.
I hit the brakes and swerved to the on coming lanes. The deer then
bolted across that lane and I just bumped the last one. Probably
knocked it off its feet as it took a little time to catch up to the rest.

Picked up the new Scan tool, removed the Pedal Commander, reset
the codes I could. Only the CEL remains lit because of the Permanent codes.
The truck it driv\able again. Hopefully the CEL will reset itself soon. I have to
get the truck inspected this month and it will not pass with the CEL on.

Cross your Fingers, Eyes, Arms, and Legs.

Malodave
You need to do a trip cycle. Then it should become a history code and you can clear it.

This is the only doc I can find for a 2019.

All Monitor Drive Trace
Do not turn off until all steps are complete or you have to restart.
Check fuel level >1/4 and not Full.
Start engine, Idle for 5 minutes
Warm engine up for five minutes ( >160F coolant temp for 5 minutes can be met while driving )
Smoothly acceerate and maintain a speed between 40 to 60 mph for 8-10 minutes.
Stop and idle for 3 minutes.
Smoothly accelerate and maintain a speed above 20 mph for 2 minutes.
Turn key off, leave off for ten minutes

This should set all monitors below.

Catalyst Monitor Drive Trace
Idle for 5 minutes
Smoothly accelerate and maintain a speed between 30 to 45 mph for 2 minutes.

EGR System Monitor Drive Trace – Vacuum controlled
Idle for 5 minutes
Smoothly accelerate and maintain a speed between 40 to 60 mph for 2 minutes.

EGR System Monitor Drive Trace – Electronic
Idle for 5 minutes
Smoothly accelerate and maintain a speed between 40 to 60 mph for 2 minutes.
Idle for 3 minutes

Evaporative System Monitor Drive Trace
Trace 1: Standard Type – Make sure that your fuel level is between 50% and 85% full.
Idle for 5 minutes
Smoothly accelerate and maintain a speed between 30 to 45 mph for 2 minutes.

Trace 2: Leak Detection Pump
From 6-8 hours of the vehicle being off (cold soak), idle for 5 minutes
Drive in city traffic naturally with stops and acceleration for 5 minutes.
Stop. Idle vehicle for 4 minutes.

O2 Sensor Monitor Drive Trace
Idle for 5 minutes
Smoothly accelerate and maintain a speed above 25 mph for 2 minutes.
Stop and idle for 30 seconds.
Smoothly accelerate and maintain a speed between 30 to 40 mph
Repeat idle and acceleration to 30-40 mph five times.

O2 Sensor Heater Monitor Drive Trace
Idle for 5 minutes, then shut the engine and leave the vehicle off for 10 minutes.

Reactions: c3k

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
SUCCESS!!! The CEL went out on Start Up this morning.

So inspection is not a problem now. I will rescan and see if the Permanent Codes are gone.
Then I can hit the Dealer for the Rear Parking Sensors not working. I think it is
a connector that has shaken loose, Because they were working.

Malodave

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
SUCCESS!!! The CEL went out on Start Up this morning.

So inspection is not a problem now. I will rescan and see if the Permanent Codes are gone.
Then I can hit the Dealer for the Rear Parking Sensors not working. I think it is
a connector that has shaken loose, Because they were working.

Malodave

Great to hear!

Now, get rid of all the other add-on throttle/tune devices and let us know how the GDE engine tune (I think you removed the transmission tune?) works.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great to hear!

Now, get rid of all the other add-on throttle/tune devices and let us know how the GDE engine tune (I think you removed the transmission tune?) works.
I still have both tunes installed.

Malodave

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you do a code clear to clear the history, you will need to rerun the trip cycle to reset the monitors again too.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is only one code in Permanent status the P2124. I am hoping a few more cycles and it will reset.
Everything else is looking good.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think they added to the low DEF pages. I am getting a low Def warning at 750 miles at 1/4 Tank. The other time I ran it down
low, it alerted at 500 miles, then 250, and 200, at 150 it stayed on and was counting down. I got to about 40 miles before I could
refill. I added a 2.5 gal jug when I filled up and it still gave me a low DEF warning at 3450 miles. It looks like it recalculated the miles,
but didn't reset the DEF warning yet.

ETA: DEF alert has reset.

Malodave

Last edited:

reddog

Reaction score
I have been researching the various tune options out there for the past several weeks. Has anybody run across this option? https://www.agdieselsolutions.com/product/20240/ ? Looks kind of similar to the Banks offering. I emailed them and they recommended that I pair their tune with their throttle sensor unit to do away with the offline throttle lag. It's a company that caters to agriculture equipment but also has units for some popular light duty trucks like ours. I'd like to know what you all think. Thanks

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been researching the various tune options out there for the past several weeks. Has anybody run across this option? https://www.agdieselsolutions.com/product/20240/ ? Looks kind of similar to the Banks offering. I emailed them and they recommended that I pair their tune with their throttle sensor unit to do away with the offline throttle lag. It's a company that caters to agriculture equipment but also has units for some popular light duty trucks like ours. I'd like to know what you all think. Thanks
Dumb question but if you're paying for a tune, why in the world would you also need to add a throttle sensor to do away with throttle lag. If you ask me, if I buy a tune then I shouldn't need to have something else hooked up to my system. It sounds to me like they "sorta have a tune" but "you also will need this to compensate for what our tune doesn't do."

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That thing looks like an expensive pedal commander. Not sure how they’re modifying mapping, but I wouldn’t trust it without talking extensively with them first. This concept isn’t new though, and the hemi crowd has a version of this called the pulsar. I just wonder why no one else is doing it.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the GDE tune on a PCM. If anybody can figure out how to change the VIN to match your truck I'll sell it to you for half price. I no longer need it.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the GDE tune on a PCM. If anybody can figure out how to change the VIN to match your truck I'll sell it to you for half price. I no longer need it.
Was it not what you expected?

BNJMN

Reaction score
I don't want to speak for @WXman but at least some of his experience is documented earlier in this thread for your reading. Bummer we won't be getting more updates; i found the info shared valuable.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not happy? That's super dissapointing if that's the case.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m interested, but I’m having a hard time understanding why you were unhappy with cold shift point holding when the PCM doesn’t control that. Did you have a trans tune also? Second question: how much did your DEF usage increase?

Edit: you can PM me if you want

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just watched his video..he traded the truck in.

• Sad

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just watched his video..he traded the truck in.

He’s already talking about getting rid of the Jeep also. I know you weren’t directing that comment at me, but I really just want to know what I’m getting into.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I don't want to speak for @WXman but at least some of his experience is documented earlier in this thread for your reading. Bummer we won't be getting more updates; i found the info shared valuable.

Not happy? That's super dissapointing if that's the case.

I’m interested, but I’m having a hard time understanding why you were unhappy with cold shift point holding when the PCM doesn’t control that. Did you have a trans tune also? Second question: how much did your DEF usage increase?

Edit: you can PM me if you want

The PCM and TCM work in tandem. The truck still shifted like **** 1-2 and 2-3 even with the stock trans tune, although it was better. With both installed it took all the joy out of the truck. I have no idea how there are people who overlook this and act like theirs drives just fine with this tune. Shifting a diesel at 3,000 RPM under light throttle is a joke. Shifting it at 2,500 RPM is a joke. Locking the TC in a McD's parking lot is a joke. Holding 2nd gear to 25 MPH under light throttle is a joke. This is not OK, and they need to fix it. But.....that isn't why I'm selling mine.

DEF usage increased quite a bit from what I could see. I went from over half tank to having to refill the tank in less than two weeks. I was hoping that was a fluke but I saw others comment on increased DEF usage also.

The timing cover leak that's rampant on these EcoDiesels has nothing to do with the tune. Totally separate issues.
It's ridiculous that they still have the issue. My two were built 18 months apart and had the same issue. And I know guys were having this issue long before the Gen 3 engine debuted. It's just ridiculous that they can't get this solved on the assembly line.

I kept most of my mods. Will resell for $$$. Dealership kept the wheels and tires and bed cover but gave me $1,000 additional for those on top of their trade offer which was already surprisingly good. So I'm not worried about any of that. The only thing that stings a little is the tune. If the person who buys the truck contacts me, I'm going to offer to sell it to them for a deal to recoup most of that money. THIS would be the advantage of the Banks Derringer. It could have been resold to anybody with a diesel.

Or, if anybody here can figure out how to make the VIN in this PCM match yours so you can use this tuned PCM in your truck, I'll cut you a sweet deal on it.

As much as I loved my Gladiator EcoDiesel, I strangely feel at peace with this. The Tundra is SO simple and inexpensive compared to the EcoDiesel. It's saving me a lot of money already AND I don't have any fears of breakdowns or CELs looming over my head.

Users who are viewing this thread