5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News on a tune?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Right now They are both a complete Package with the Trans Tuner Flash Device thrown in.

Malodave
I figured that might be the case. I didn’t want to call the guy and talk to him again so I figured I would ask here.

jeeg78

Reaction score
FYI - for those us with a '22 Gen 3 it looks like GDE is now able to tune ours as well. I will probably get it done in the next couple wks and report back.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
FYI - for those us with a '22 Gen 3 it looks like GDE is now able to tune ours as well. I will probably get it done in the next couple wks and report back.
Awesome! When I talked to GDE before the tune came out, I was a little disappointed that he said it would be four or five years before a handheld/tool was available. Are you getting a second PCM before you get the tune?

jeeg78

Reaction score
Awesome! When I talked to GDE before the tune came out, I was a little disappointed that he said it would be four or five years before a handheld/tool was available. Are you getting a second PCM before you get the tune?
I'm haven't decided yet. But, the more I read opinions from you guys and the benefits of doing it plus being that it really won't break the bank I'm leaning towards it.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm haven't decided yet. But, the more I read opinions from you guys and the benefits of doing it plus being that it really won't break the bank I'm leaning towards it.
When I priced it, the PCM was around $230 online. I don’t know if that was correct though, since it seems too low of a price. If it’s true though, wholesale price should be just under $200.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any updates thoughts on the tune from those that have it? Specifically the new trans tune.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Rhombus

Reaction score
Any updates thoughts on the tune from those that have it? Specifically the new trans tune.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
I believe the tune I initially received in January was the new tune. I love the entire package. Turbo lag is gone, plenty of power. The truck is snappy. The initial “cold” mannerisms from the tranny do not bother me at all. Shifts are crisper, even downshifts are.

For me, I’m extremely happy.
BTW - the week before I tuned I installed Copper AT3 XLT’S, 275/60/R20. E rated and ~11 pounds more per tire than what I had. Between the tires and the tune, I’ve not gained any MPG, not convinced I lost any either. So I’m good

Last edited:

Rhombus

Reaction score
BTW - I've driven in the single digits several times lately. Yes, the shift is "harder" if you will. But I do not find it terribly annoying. Hope that helps.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got to Contact GDE about the Dealer Upgrading the PCM Software from 68500630AD to 68500630AE.
I don't know if it wiped out the tune or not. GDE upgraded the PCM Software before they installed the tune.

Malodave

YEP! GDE just confirmed the tune has been wiped. They said I should get a Second PCM and They will Clone
Mine with the tune so if it ever happens again, i will still have it.

Last edited:

jeeg78

Reaction score
Got to Contact GDE about the Dealer Upgrading the PCM Software from 68500630AD to 68500630AE.
I don't know if it wiped out the tune or not. GDE upgraded the PCM Software before they installed the tune.

Malodave

YEP! GDE just confirmed the tune has been wiped. They said I should get a Second PCM and They will Clone
Mine with the tune so if it ever happens again, i will still have it.
Sorry to hear that. I am also looking into getting a spare but I have not been able to source one for a '22 yet. My PCM looks to be at their place by tomorrow so should hopefully get it back by next Monday at the latest. Got back from Idaho a few wks back, pulled a 23' enclosed sled trailer loaded up and 4 people in the truck - did pretty well I thought especially compared to the '19 E torque I had last. It's been awhile but stock it felt similar to the '16 GDE tuned Eco I had previously. Leaving for the U.P. next Friday so anxious to compare between the 2 but judging from most of the reviews I think I will be impressed.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I am also looking into getting a spare but I have not been able to source one for a '22 yet. My PCM looks to be at their place by tomorrow so should hopefully get it back by next Monday at the latest. Got back from Idaho a few wks back, pulled a 23' enclosed sled trailer loaded up and 4 people in the truck - did pretty well I thought especially compared to the '19 E torque I had last. It's been awhile but stock it felt similar to the '16 GDE tuned Eco I had previously. Leaving for the U.P. next Friday so anxious to compare between the 2 but judging from most of the reviews I think I will be impressed.
Did you have the dealer flash the configs to the PCM, or is GDE doing it all?

jeeg78

Reaction score
Did you have the dealer flash the configs to the PCM, or is GDE doing it all?
I still have to find one but since GDE already has mine I'll get a hold of them & see what they have to say. I clicked on the link you sent me for the PCM but in the menu there was no option for a '22. Since they're blank or not programmed maybe the yr doesn't matter? I will contact them tomorrow and find out.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I still have to find one but since GDE already has mine I'll get a hold of them & see what they have to say. I clicked on the link you sent me for the PCM but in the menu there was no option for a '22. Since they're blank or not programmed maybe the yr doesn't matter? I will contact them tomorrow and find out.
I thought that one would fit since nothing has changed between 2019 and 2022 regarding the ecodiesel platform. I still need to verify the part number though, so I don’t know if it fits or not.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is where I ordered one Today:

Hello David Mullins,
Thank you for your purchase! We will start processing your order shortly and will notify you with any updates. You can monitor the status of your order here.

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
68256850AA​
Powertrain Control Module​
$195.80​
1​
$195.80​

Subtotal: $195.80​
Estimated Shipping to 03049 via Standard Shipping: $16.25​
Total: $212.05​

ETA: Part is on National Backorder. I tried a couple of Places but they just inform me that it is unavailable, AFTER they have charged my card.

Last edited:

jeeg78

Reaction score
Nice! It looks like that part # will work for mine as well. djevox, thanks for the link earlier - if I would have read just a bit further down the page, it is the same part so you are correct.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get why someone wouldn't want the their tune overwritten but what if the update the dealer installed was truly beneficial and something the tune didn't cover? I honestly have no idea what this might be but is there any scenario where by swapping out modules when it goes in for service, you miss out on a usable update?

I don't know how this all works, but do tuners like GDE update their tunes to incorporate any FCA updates? So, the person who doesn't have two PCMs gets their tune back and the FCA update when they send it back to be reflashed?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I get why someone wouldn't want the their tune overwritten but what if the update the dealer installed was truly beneficial and something the tune didn't cover? I honestly have no idea what this might be but is there any scenario where by swapping out modules when it goes in for service, you miss out on a usable update?

I don't know how this all works, but do tuners like GDE update their tunes to incorporate any FCA updates? So, the person who doesn't have two PCMs gets their tune back and the FCA update when they send it back to be reflashed?
Yeah, that’s definitely a concern. I wonder what GDE would charge for a reflash.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Of course, as the registered owner of an EcoDiesel, I'm wondering why Ram hasn't notified me of a flash...

I'm definitely going to go the route of a backup PCM to use while GDE does their magic. Of course, timing for that is still...nebulous. (My nearest dealer is ~30 minutes away and I'm not sure if they'll flash a backup PCM for me.)

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Of course, as the registered owner of an EcoDiesel, I'm wondering why Ram hasn't notified me of a flash...

I'm definitely going to go the route of a backup PCM to use while GDE does their magic. Of course, timing for that is still...nebulous. (My nearest dealer is ~30 minutes away and I'm not sure if they'll flash a backup PCM for me.)
Speaking of that, if somebody gets an answer, let me know. I really don’t want to mess with a dealer, but my other option (that’s guaranteed) involves calling in a favor, and I don’t want do that either.

Enigma4078

Reaction score
For the guys who have the tune did your MPG’s go down? Mine, according to the dash went down 2-3mpg. Thought I was supposed to get better mileage lol. The tune itself feels so much better. The cold shifts in the morning isn’t so bad. Sort of like driving a stick shift but not terrible. The power definitely comes on a lot sooner and pulls harder. Thx
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread