5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News on a tune?

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
as far as i know ECU should be blanc or from your truck :unsure:

Brand new one is blank - needs dealer programing.

Question is If you source an ECU from salvage yard - same Gen motor , can we send that ECU to GDE to program with new tune ?

Instead of downtime of sending original truck ECU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you going to get the gladiator tuned?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

I would love to. I know what to expect from a GDE tune because I had one before. It's an unbelievable difference. But, I will only do it if I can successfully acquire a cloned ECU. And it's going to be awkward to walk in to the dealership and request a duplicate of the ECU. I imagine red flags will fly and they might be more leery of warranty work in the future.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would love to. I know what to expect from a GDE tune because I had one before. It's an unbelievable difference. But, I will only do it if I can successfully acquire a cloned ECU. And it's going to be awkward to walk in to the dealership and request a duplicate of the ECU. I imagine red flags will fly and they might be more leery of warranty work in the future.
Yeah, depending on your dealership it might be worth having a chat with them about whether an aftermarket tune will immediately void the warranty.

I've heard nothing but good about the GDE tunes..the driveability improvements would be worth it alone. Throw in a few extra ponies and more torque and I'm sold.

My ecodiesel has 42k km on it and I absolute love it, but occasionally the throttle response leaves something to be desired. It seems to be random and sometimes I think it's more the transmission tuning than the actual engine.

I enjoy your videos and hope you get one, would love to see a comparison and towing your big *** trailer with the extra power.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, depending on your dealership it might be worth having a chat with them about whether an aftermarket tune will immediately void the warranty.

I've heard nothing but good about the GDE tunes..the driveability improvements would be worth it alone. Throw in a few extra ponies and more torque and I'm sold.

My ecodiesel has 42k km on it and I absolute love it, but occasionally the throttle response leaves something to be desired. It seems to be random and sometimes I think it's more the transmission tuning than the actual engine.

I enjoy your videos and hope you get one, would love to see a comparison and towing your big *** trailer with the extra power.

So I found out this morning that GDE will not accept cloned or blank PCMs for tuning. Stock PCM only, done via bench flash through the mail.

This is a major roadblock and will probably prevent me (and lots of others) from tuning at this time. Too risky to take a chance of having the GDE tune overwritten at the dealership when the truck is in for service, recalls, updates, etc.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I had it on my 2015 Grand Cherokee and loved it. On the performance and economy side, it absolutely made a noticeable difference--beyond just fixing the AEM issues.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I found out this morning that GDE will not accept cloned or blank PCMs for tuning. Stock PCM only, done via bench flash through the mail.

This is a major roadblock and will probably prevent me (and lots of others) from tuning at this time. Too risky to take a chance of having the GDE tune overwritten at the dealership when the truck is in for service, recalls, updates, etc.
If this is accurate, then it is a huge setback and will kill 99% of their potential sales. I’d be willing to bet the EPA has something to do with GDE not doing cloned or blank PCMs.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If this is accurate, then it is a huge setback and will kill 99% of their potential sales. I’d be willing to bet the EPA has something to do with GDE not doing cloned or blank PCMs.

Yeah that's specifically what they told me. I may still try to get a PCM cloned for my truck and then send GDE the original out of my truck. What's the difference?

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This was in the original post from the other site and where I misrepresented the handheld device. Sounds like it will just do the transmission?

"When GDE releases, it will be a bench flash ecm/pcm tune and a handheld PG3 OBD tool for the trans. The goal will be to have the flash tool tuning the engine in the future. The ecm will need to be shipped in to tune. It will mean a day or two of downtime."

jeeg78

Reaction score
Spoke with GDE a couple months back about when their gen3 tune will be out. They said they'd be shooting for mid to end of Oct '21 - followed up today and they said looking more like Nov which would be great. One thing I didn't know is that they have all the data for the gen 3 posted on their site. I've been checking it probably more than I should but when I did I would just click on Performance Data but it would link to the gen 2 info. But, If you hold the cursor over the link w/o clicking a drop down menu appears & thats where you can select gen 3 data plus a few other manufacturers diesel tunes they offer. I'm sure most of you already know this but to those who were unaware like myself hopefully you can now see the numbers they're putting up with the gen 3 - and it looks very nice! Increases of 80lb/ft & 45hp - better than they got for the gen 2 plus the dyno curve looks excellent. Again for those who knew about this please disregard but for those who didn't and have been looking for gen 3 info, it is on there.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Yeah that's specifically what they told me. I may still try to get a PCM cloned for my truck and then send GDE the original out of my truck. What's the difference?
I ordered a 3.0 yesterday and fully intend to get it tuned when it comes in next spring/summer.

Cloning the PCM so I can swap it out is the only way I'll get the GDE, I'm not going to deal with the truck being down for 5+ days for me to ship the only PCM to them and deal with that hassle.

Hopefully by that point they'll have the handheld tuning up and running.

oldsouth

Reaction score
I plan to tell my dealer I want to purchase a spare ECU and them program it with any updates and go ahead and install it in the truck, then give me the original one in there. I will send that one off. Should not be against the law to purchase a spare ECU...! Dang, it is a part they sell from the parts dept. Looks like they run a little over $200

Reactions: c3k

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A little more clarification from GDE this morning: "There is learned data in the stock ECM. Keep the cloned ECM to use as your stock one."

So he does, in fact, need the stock original PCM out of the truck to do the tuning. Why, I still don't know. But it is what it is....

oldsouth

Reaction score
Checked with my dealer and cost of the ECU is a little over $200 but they charge $1495 to program it. I will not be going that way. From what I hear, the GDE tune is usually not detectable with dealer equipment. The ECU would have to be sent in to FCA and diagnosed to really find any difference. So all you would have to do is flash the transmission tune out with your handheld device before service. Under the worst case situation, the dealer may overwrite your ECU programming and you would have to send it back in to get the tune put back on. I will be getting my ECU checked and updated from the dealer before sending it in to GDE to make sure it has all the updates before programming....

DieselRebel

Reaction score
Checked with my dealer and cost of the ECU is a little over $200 but they charge $1495 to program it. I will not be going that way. From what I hear, the GDE tune is usually not detectable with dealer equipment. The ECU would have to be sent in to FCA and diagnosed to really find any difference. So all you would have to do is flash the transmission tune out with your handheld device before service. Under the worst case situation, the dealer may overwrite your ECU programming and you would have to send it back in to get the tune put back on. I will be getting my ECU checked and updated from the dealer before sending it in to GDE to make sure it has all the updates before programming....
The dealer only charged me $390 to program one I bought

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

LS954

Reaction score
i'm sure, after some time, we will be able to order an already tuned ecu without having to send in your stock unit. This was the case on my 2014 GC. I had a stock ecu(not my factory unit) and a flashed ecu.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How will you know if they overwrite the ECU? Will the handheld detect it, even if it can't reflash it?

oldsouth

Reaction score
With the HP and Torque difference, I think it would be apparent. And you could always ask them, 'did you mess with the computer... seems different'

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well it's a moot point boys, because the PCM is on national backorder with "no ETA" which in 2021 terms means 12-18 months probably.

I ordered the PCM from two Mopar parts places online and both canceled my order citing the backorder.

DieselRebel

Reaction score
Well it's a moot point boys, because the PCM is on national backorder with "no ETA" which in 2021 terms means 12-18 months probably.

I ordered the PCM from two Mopar parts places online and both canceled my order citing the backorder.
I went to dealer back in August and it came in within two weeks, might try dealer instead of online store although will be charged more about 100 to 200 more.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread