5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News on a tune?

DieselRebel

Reaction score
I bought a spare pcm and had the dealership program it. They're only bench flashing right now. Definitely adds to the cost but based on the 2nd gen stuff I figured it'll be a bit before the handheld tunes are a reality. Plus I like the idea of having a dedicated "tuned" pcm to avoid any reflash issues.
What entails dealer programming it? I bought a spare PCM, I asked them to program it and they said be two weeks out and would need to leave my truck there. Would they charge me less if I brought both PCMs to them and just said clone it? So they wouldn't charge the labor of pulling the PCM out and installing it back

DieselRebel

Reaction score
I found this guy on Facebook at Ecodiesel Performance USA that does stage 1 or 2 delete bench PCM tunes inside the US. I messaged him and he has only done two stage 2 deletes so far for 3rd gen ecodiesels, but said he did several pre 2018 ones. He is more expensive than the EOCanada. Quoted at $1200, but I would guess easier to ship to and from.

Last edited:

Daverous

Reaction score
What entails dealer programming it? I bought a spare PCM, I asked them to program it and they said be two weeks out and would need to leave my truck there. Would they charge me less if I brought both PCMs to them and just said clone it? So they wouldn't charge the labor of pulling the PCM out and installing it back
Mine required I leave it in. They wanted to test it prior to me driving away. Less than an hour wait start to finish. I'm not sure if they bench flash these or not at the dealership. My gut tells me they don't.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I found this guy on Facebook at Ecodiesel Performance USA that does stage 1 or 2 delete bench PCM tunes inside the US. I messaged him and he has only done two stage 2 deletes so far for 3rd gen ecodiesels, but said he did several pre 2018 ones. He is more expensive than the EOCanada. Quoted at $1200, but I would guess easier to ship to and from.
I hear he's a fraud on fb, I would check into reviews before dealing with him.

DieselRebel

Reaction score
I hear he's a fraud on fb, I would check into reviews before dealing with him.
I was planning on going Canadian route with EOC, but they put their Stage 2 back into R&D so may be a bit before available again.

Fraud as in doesn't tune well or what did you hear exactly? He seemed legit from Facebook message, but I am weary since he has only done two vehicles

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I was planning on going Canadian route with EOC, but they put their Stage 2 back into R&D so may be a bit before available again.

Fraud as in doesn't tune well or what did you hear exactly? He seemed legit from Facebook message, but I am weary since he has only done two vehicles
If your not a member join the 2020+ 3rd generation ecodiesel group on fb, there was a post about him there recently.

DieselRebel

Reaction score
If your not a member join the 2020+ 3rd generation ecodiesel group on fb, there was a post about him there recently.

Well after going through Facebook groups and other forums, I am a little hesitant to get a tune. I didn't realize how much drama was in the tuning community. I can't decide who to go with anymore after reading through all of this thread...

Daverous

Reaction score
All that junk had me worried too, at first. Here's the thing, the internet is a full of crap talk, theory, conspiracy, and truck loads of junk. You can't go anywhere on the web without an argument about something. There's good stuff in there with it.

What I can say first hand is that I've been happy. It removed a big concern of mine since I plan to keep the truck for a bit and I put around 20k or better a year on it. I do lots of city driving mixed in and it's a heck of a lot harder to change or clean internals vs a dpf. The service was top notch and its more enjoyable to drive. I personally didn't gain much in terms of mpg. That's the only part that was a slight let down. Still, 24-26 with 3.92, 33s, and doing 75 or better is nothing to sneeze at.

Your mileage may vary, but I'd do it again. Doesn't mean I'm not interested in trying the rest of the options out there...

DieselRebel

Reaction score
All that junk had me worried too, at first. Here's the thing, the internet is a full of crap talk, theory, conspiracy, and truck loads of junk. You can't go anywhere on the web without an argument about something. There's good stuff in there with it.

What I can say first hand is that I've been happy. It removed a big concern of mine since I plan to keep the truck for a bit and I put around 20k or better a year on it. I do lots of city driving mixed in and it's a heck of a lot harder to change or clean internals vs a dpf. The service was top notch and its more enjoyable to drive. I personally didn't gain much in terms of mpg. That's the only part that was a slight let down. Still, 24-26 with 3.92, 33s, and doing 75 or better is nothing to sneeze at.

Your mileage may vary, but I'd do it again. Doesn't mean I'm not interested in trying the rest of the options out there...
Thanks for the feedback, I think several of them have decent tunes, but may differ in different areas. Its just hard to pick which one to go with as a consumer when they bash each other so badly. I am definitely still going to go with one. Guess I have 2 weeks to decide while I wait on dealer to get my spare PCM programmed.

Daverous

Reaction score
With only a couple options currently it certainly doesn't make it easier. I'm very interested in seeing what GDE does. The egr part is my only reservation. Then there's always HD diesel supply and the speculation revolving around where those tunes originate 😀 I'll probably need to check them out if they're released in the handheld tune version. Then multi tunes, change on the fly tunes, deciding on a full delete or not, ugh....

My thought was I wanted that second pcm, and as handheld versions come out I can always play around with different tunes if I'm feeling froggy. Almost at 10k miles on my current one and like I said, I've been happy.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With only a couple options currently it certainly doesn't make it easier. I'm very interested in seeing what GDE does. The egr part is my only reservation. Then there's always HD diesel supply and the speculation revolving around where those tunes originate 😀 I'll probably need to check them out if they're released in the handheld tune version. Then multi tunes, change on the fly tunes, deciding on a full delete or not, ugh....

My thought was I wanted that second pcm, and as handheld versions come out I can always play around with different tunes if I'm feeling froggy. Almost at 10k miles on my current one and like I said, I've been happy.
yea im after something that will just fine tune what i got better gas mileage for sure my goal to handle my bigger tires has 305/70/18
but i really dont like the. delay. that the truck has when giving gas… dav so which tune you have?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
GDE customer service told me that they think their Gen3 tune will be out ~October.

If it's as good as we all think it will be, I'd be in for a group buy...with a spare PCM. Of course, reviews will be key.

DieselRebel

Reaction score
Got my spare PCM programmed at the dealer and they were a little weird about it. Saying that's a weird request and no one has ever wanted that before. They had my truck two days even though he said it only took two hours with all the recall work as well. Price for the PCM flash at dealer was $390 which wasn't real happy with, but could be worse.

So decided to go with a stage 2 from EOC buying the full kit back to muffler, tune, and trans tune priced at $2000 USD.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got my spare PCM programmed at the dealer and they were a little weird about it. Saying that's a weird request and no one has ever wanted that before. They had my truck two days even though he said it only took two hours with all the recall work as well. Price for the PCM flash at dealer was $390 which wasn't real happy with, but could be worse.

So decided to go with a stage 2 from EOC buying the full kit back to muffler, tune, and trans tune priced at $2000 USD.

Did that $390 include a new PCM? (I seriously hope so...)

DieselRebel

Reaction score
Did that $390 include a new PCM? (I seriously hope so...)
Nope sadly, so think they swindled me a bit on that. You could get around the dealer by sending your stock PCM to tuner and not getting a spare, but then you are stuck with a non drivable truck for a few weeks while you wait.

I am going to be in around $2700 total for full stage 2 once everything is said and done. Plan on doing the labor of installing it myself.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Really looking forward to reviews of the GDE tune. I'll probably wait until my warranty is close to ending, I'm at 37,000km now and the warranty is up at 100,000.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yeah I've often wondered how dealers feel about somebody walking in and asking for a PCM copy. It probably throws red flags.

Users who are viewing this thread