5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News on a tune?

oldsouth

Reaction score
Finally got behind it for a video, sounds pretty good, doesn't smoke much, but some.
Yeah, I looked on their Facebook page and saw one tuned truck taking off. Good bit of smoke there. I want a delete, but want very little smoke most of all. Smoke is unburnt fuel.... I will probably go with the GDE.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some smoke/soot from a diesel engine under acceleration is a given. Especially on a turbo or other forced induction. Diesel is always WOT. you add more fuel to speed up the engine. In order to speed up faster you need much much more fuel to accelerate. I'm not talking rolling coal, but yes if you don't have input correction in the map and the injectors are allowed to open 100% before the engine can use/handle it, that's what rolling coal is. Additionally in a very high compression engine such as a diesel with FI, you want to err on the rich side. You lean it out and you detonate, and very bad things happen. DPF is the solution to soot, it traps it, while choking the exhaust a fair bit. The increase in MPG is from not wasting diesel to burn the soot off in regen and not struggling against the backpressure of the exhaust.

DieselRebel

Reaction score
Yeah, I looked on their Facebook page and saw one tuned truck taking off. Good bit of smoke there. I want a delete, but want very little smoke most of all. Smoke is unburnt fuel.... I will probably go with the GDE.
GDE doesn't make a delete or I would have considered them as well, just performance tune. If I lived in an area that did emissions check I would definitely go that route, but otherwise a delete is much more beneficial for your truck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't mind emissions per se. It works. I just don't agree with the truck bricking itself because the def got low. That's the main reason I'm doing a tune. The other stuff is gravy. I do conservation work for a living. My lawnmower and 2 stroke boat will put out more pollution in one day than my truck ever will even tuned.
I prefer "stupid" equipment that if I tell it to go until it breaks, it will do so until then in case of an emergency. If there's a wildfire and I need to start the truck with no def, it wont let me. If I need to bash a tree out of the way and keep driving on 3 wheels flat and parts hanging off I don't want a car telling me I was in an accident and to wait for help and kill the engine.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
GDE doesn't make a delete or I would have considered them as well, just performance tune. If I lived in an area that did emissions check I would definitely go that route, but otherwise a delete is much more beneficial for your truck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Paraphrasing GDE from just a week ago or so: "Deleting EGR is no longer needed. Gen 3 engine has low pressure EGR that is used 99% of the time with our tune, so the air flowing back into the engine is clean."

Basically, a Gen 3 engine with GDE tune will run as clean emissions intact as a Gen 3 engine running a delete AND it's still legal in 49 states. This is a game changer.

DieselRebel

Reaction score
Paraphrasing GDE from just a week ago or so: "Deleting EGR is no longer needed. Gen 3 engine has low pressure EGR that is used 99% of the time with our tune, so the air flowing back into the engine is clean."

Basically, a Gen 3 engine with GDE tune will run as clean emissions intact as a Gen 3 engine running a delete AND it's still legal in 49 states. This is a game changer.
A full delete is still cleaner and more efficient for the engine due to reduced back pressure and not recirculating exhaust gas. You will see better mpg with a full delete. I would definitely go the GDE route if I lived in a different area that I would have to worry about getting fined for emissions. GDE themselves would probably still make a full delete if they wouldn't have got slammed with lawsuit.

oldsouth

Reaction score
GDE should just sell out of Canada. HD Diesel Supply says they will not have a tune for the Gen 3 engine because it requires sending in the ECU....... :(

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And this is the reason we all wait for GDE to release their stuff:

"We had a drive in customer on Monday that had a competitor stage 1 tune on this truck from north of the border. The GDE tune as a comparison has higher hp and torque throughout the operating range and was about 0.7 seconds quicker on 0-60 run. We ran an emission prep cycle on this Canadian tune and it showed 0.6 mpg worse than factory. This northern tune was sold to customer stating the egr was turned off and no changes to the safety limits. This was not true as both egr (high and low pressure) systems were active, the exhaust temp limit was raised from 1529 F to 1706 F, and overheat protection was raised for coolant temps. This customer also had a trans tune from the Canadians...better to stay stock than use this stuff."

"Needless to say, the customer left with the GDE engine and trans tune installed and his previous tuning will be up for sale soon. We are looking forward to his feedback as the miles are put on."

I've always heard that good things come to those who wait. I'll find out on Thursday!

DieselRebel

Reaction score

"We had a drive in customer on Monday that had a competitor stage 1 tune on this truck from north of the border. The GDE tune as a comparison has higher hp and torque throughout the operating range and was about 0.7 seconds quicker on 0-60 run. We ran an emission prep cycle on this Canadian tune and it showed 0.6 mpg worse than factory. This northern tune was sold to customer stating the egr was turned off and no changes to the safety limits. This was not true as both egr (high and low pressure) systems were active, the exhaust temp limit was raised from 1529 F to 1706 F, and overheat protection was raised for coolant temps. This customer also had a trans tune from the Canadians...better to stay stock than use this stuff."

"Needless to say, the customer left with the GDE engine and trans tune installed and his previous tuning will be up for sale soon. We are looking forward to his feedback as the miles are put on."

I've always heard that good things come to those who wait. I'll find out on Thursday!
Is this your truck @Daverous ?

2020 1500 Rebel 3.0 Ecodiesel, 3.92, 12A, Level 2, Ramboxes, 33 gallon tank, 50k miles

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Good to know. I live in Canada and the only tune I will get would be GDE. I don't care about max power or torque. I was driveability and knowing the engine is still operating within it's safe limits.

I like the fact that GDE takes the time to properly test these times and doesn't just rush them to market.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread