5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News on a tune?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went to dealer back in August and it came in within two weeks, might try dealer instead of online store although will be charged more about 100 to 200 more.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Good thought. But the online stores I've ordered from actually are dealerships. They just happen to sell online also, and they see stock levels on a nationwide basis.

GrizEagle

Reaction score
I ordered a PCM through Mopar's parts store (main Mopar site, not a different dealer) last Wednesday. They cancelled the order until I sent them an email saying I was fine to wait, but then they raised the price to full retail vs the ~$100 dollar cheaper price I originally agreed to order. I told them that was BS and I wanted the part way the original cost. They re-ordered my original order and low and behold, I got a shipping confirmation a day ago!

BNJMN

Reaction score
@jeeg78 Looks like GDE has the performance data online now. Have you tuned before? You're the lucky one that had a quick turnaround from order to build - did you pick it up yet? My ETA is January for my laramie ecodiesel - first ram, first diesel for me. Anyone know if you can tune right away, or should the truck be ran a certain amount of miles before installing the tune? GDE is close enough to me in MI that I could go there for the install if their tunes are ready for 2022's.

jeeg78

Reaction score
@jeeg78 Looks like GDE has the performance data online now. Have you tuned before? You're the lucky one that had a quick turnaround from order to build - did you pick it up yet? My ETA is January for my laramie ecodiesel - first ram, first diesel for me. Anyone know if you can tune right away, or should the truck be ran a certain amount of miles before installing the tune? GDE is close enough to me in MI that I could go there for the install if their tunes are ready for 2022's.
Yeah, if I would have read a few posts above mine they had said the same thing & posted the link as well. Guess I was a bit too excited after I got off the phone with them and didn't take the time to catch up on the thread. I had a '16 with their tune and was really impressed with it, almost felt like a new vehicle. I didn't install it until I had around 8k miles so wasn't brand new. As to when the best time to install it is, I thought the consensus was the earlier you can do it the better but not 100% - that's just what I recall from reading yrs ago. I know there are some more knowledgeable members that can give a more definitive answer on that & the reasons why. I did pick up the '22 yesterday - ordered it on 10/07 so came very quickly. Not sure how I lucked out on that but I'll take it especially since my luck is usually the polar opposite. The gen 3 so far seems like it's a strong runner. I had a '19 with the etorque so it's been awhile since I've been in a eco but I really like the way it feels. That being said, I'm all for getting some more power & drivability out of it as long as it doesn't affect the reliability and that's ultimately why decided on GDE. Congrats on your new truck, I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think it would matter if you tune it right away. Would love to hear your review if you get it done.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Daverous

Reaction score
Didn't realize the price had come down so much on the pcm, that's pretty cool. Bummer its out of stock, however. I'd love a third. If anyone finds someone that has them in stock please post up. Have a trip planned this month and would love another clone for it.

Edit- found a used one on the bay for 120 bucks. Going to give it a shot and see how feasible it is to modify vin/injectors similar to the 4th gena.

Last edited:

insulso

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to move forward with the tune using a clone ecu. I do have a few questions. Do I need to get my truck to the dealer to have them clone my ECU? Can it be done remotely with just the vin number. I live in Puerto Rico and the dealers are not friendly about mods or creating a clone ecu....
thanks
Elliot

Last edited:

DieselRebel

Reaction score
Finally installed MRTuning stage 2 tune on mine and it is sweet. No pedal lag and lot of power and it sounds great too

d1d20b52d61491482b50ce35969b6719.jpg

Last edited:

BNJMN

Reaction score
Finally installed MRTuning stage 2 tune on mine and it is sweet. No pedal lag and lot of power and it sounds great too

I don't see any products for 2019+ on their site - are they selling somewhere else?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi,
I want to move forward with the tune using a clone ecu. I do have a few questions. Do I need to get my truck to the dealer to have them clone my ECU? Can it be done remotely with just the vin number. I live in Puerto Rico and the dealers are not friendly about mods or creating a clone ecu....
thanks
Elliot

I have a shop (independent shop, not a Jeep/Ram dealership) working on cloning a brand new PCM for me right now. They had to send a request to Chrysler to get approval. Otherwise they can't get past the security on the PCM. They said they should know in a day or two if they can or cannot program the PCM.

A dealership CAN do it because I've seen others report that it was done for them. However, there is some thought that when you ask a dealer to do this, it may raise attention and potentially cause them to look at your vehicle for potential warranty denials in the future. So whether or not it's worth it depends on how nice and honest your dealership is.

I've basically decided that if my independent shop can't do it, I'm going to forget all about it.

DieselRebel

Reaction score
I don't see any products for 2019+ on their site - are they selling somewhere else?
Message them about it. I bought mine through EOC. Email the address on their website for info. Getting about 4-5 mpg better

You can also get details by messaging EOC or MRTuning on Facebook

Last edited:

jeeg78

Reaction score
Spoke with GDE yesterday - again. They said they've had a soft release of the Gen 3 tune for drive-in customers only the last wk or so. They also said on the 20th of this month we will be able to start sending in our ECU's for them to program which is good news for those of us who have been waiting. Hope this helps -

oldsouth

Reaction score

d1d20b52d61491482b50ce35969b6719.jpg
DieselRebel, did they send something to plug the return cool egr pipe? I guess you just tape up the wires that were connected to the old pipe? Dang... I wish there would be some type of dyno or comparison to this tune to the soon to be released GDE. Is there a dyno chart of the MR Tuning Stage 2? Do you get much smoke from your tune?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spoke with GDE yesterday - again. They said they've had a soft release of the Gen 3 tune for drive-in customers only the last wk or so. They also said on the 20th of this month we will be able to start sending in our ECU's for them to program which is good news for those of us who have been waiting. Hope this helps -
Good to hear. Can't wait to hear some real world reviews.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

DieselRebel

Reaction score
DieselRebel, did they send something to plug the return cool egr pipe? I guess you just tape up the wires that were connected to the old pipe? Dang... I wish there would be some type of dyno or comparison to this tune to the soon to be released GDE. Is there a dyno chart of the MR Tuning Stage 2? Do you get much smoke from your tune?
Yes, I installed a block off plate.
Here is pic of stage 2 dyno charts from his Facebook page.

Smokes a bit if you get on it. I still the have stock resonators before each dual so its not terribly loud but sounds good compared to stock
5e619ae5ed71a39c4751edb7ae4b49fd.jpg

Last edited:

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I installed a block off plate.
Here is pic of stage 2 dyno charts from his Facebook page.

Smokes a bit if you get on it. I still the have stock resonators before each dual so its not terribly loud but sounds good compared to stock
5e619ae5ed71a39c4751edb7ae4b49fd.jpg
so you gain 100 hp ? cnt see lol my eyes are sucky

Users who are viewing this thread