5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News on a tune?

Bad Notch

Reaction score
So I have followed this thread. I bought a 21 Eco Limited 4x4 yesterday. It is very snappy and has instant throttle response with no lag at all. This thread is half the reason I bought it. I wonder if it has the most up to date tune...

Daverous

Reaction score
where do we buy this at and. is it best i buy a seperate ecu ? for warranty purposes ?

Shoot ecodiesel owners Canada an email or Facebook message. Your call on the extra pcm. I prefer it. Warranty is hit and miss, but I sure don't want to lose my tune on a random dealer visit for some recall.

Mines sitting in Washington state right now waiting to clear. Still hope to have a review up soon. I run 700-1500 miles every other week so I'll have another shot at it in two weeks.

Reactions: c3k

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was really bored, so I figured up the lb/ft of torque per pound of curb weight on your typical crew cab 4x4 Ram with a Cummins diesel. 0.113 is what I came up with. A truck like mine comes in at 0.088. I don't know, I guess that puts the difference somewhere in the 25% range.

So a tune that brings the Gen 3 EcoDiesel to 600 lb/ft of torque would make it equivalent to a stock Ram 2500/3500 Cummins in terms of power per pound. MR Tuning was doing 550+ on the Gen 2 engines, so 600 shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility with Gen 3.

Like I said, I'm bored at the moment. Lol.

PNWDiesel

Reaction score
600ftlbs is entirely in the realm of possibility. I'm waiting for their stage 2 tune that has pretty solid gains over the stage 1 (have the T&S speed shop exhaust waiting to go in once they release the tune).

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
Picked mine up last Saturday, I do notice some dead pedal when it's cold. Once it warmed up no problems but could be better. Just ordered the pedal monster and Idash data monster. I asked about the Derringer, they said they expect them any day. Won't hit 600 ft/lbs but 460 ft/lbs, it is 73 over stock and an extra 57 hp. No flashes no ecm programming. I think I will give that a try first.

PNWDiesel

Reaction score
Not surprised, the Banks stuff was never as good as any of the ECM tuning on any platform but at least they came out with something.

Roaminglost

Reaction score
Banks derringer finally gets installed on Tuesday! Considering I'm in CA and still take my truck to the dealer, I wont have any issues.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gotta admit, I'm following this closely...as someone waiting on his truck. All what follows is based on what I've gleaned from reading others' experiences.

The latest PCM/TCM update seems to have fixed the dead pedal/throttle lag issues. (As I understand it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)
This seems to take away most of the impetus for getting just a pedal monster.

Tuning for more power: yeah, that's interesting
1. Get a Banks derringer so it's plug and play (or unplug and the dealer won't deny coverage).
2. Flash the ECM and hope for the best.
3. Pull the oem ECM, get a second and flash the second. <-- This interests me. What does a new ECM go for? I know some vehicles' ecms are VERY specific. If you have the wrong options, the new ecm will not work, even if you flash it. (Some of the programming is "fixed" and not flashable.)

Wondering about option 3...

Thanks.

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
@c3k
Just got my 21 last week. Most of the dead pedal is resolved however, I have experienced it twice now and find it to be particularly annoying so I am installing the pedal monster this weekend. So of course I will be considering the derringer for the same reasons you mentioned. I had a 14' with a backup ECM and GDE tune, that was an amazing setup. Took all of 15 minutes to swap them, I paid $400 for the ECM for the 14 and saw on Facebook someone got one of the new ECM's for $600 for their 3rd gen. If I go the ECM tune route I will definitely be swapping ECM's again. I will be in a holding pattern until the GDE tune comes out, I am really happy with the power of the truck now, it's a solid performer for a little diesel. Just that pedal hesitation and pulling into traffic does not build confidence.

• Love
Reactions: c3k

Daverous

Reaction score
New pcms are running between 420 and 550 bucks outside of the dealer. Part number 68256850AA. Dealers will program a spare to your truck if you ask. At least mine did. Even easier to swap than the 4th gen. Right by the battery. Couldn't be simpler.

Holding impressions on the tune I received until I give it more time and following the directions. I want to be thorough with my review. I will say the dead pedal is no more........

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New pcms are running between 420 and 550 bucks outside of the dealer. Part number 68256850AA. Dealers will program a spare to your truck if you ask. At least mine did. Even easier to swap than the 4th gen. Right by the battery. Couldn't be simpler.

Holding impressions on the tune I received until I give it more time and following the directions. I want to be thorough with my review. I will say the dead pedal is no more........
Outstanding. Thanks.
(This is pretty cheap insurance for doing a flashed pcm tune.)

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I checked with GDE again yesterday and they're still aiming for fall of 2021 to have their tuning out.

They indicated that it'll be mail-in of the ECU, similarly to how they've done VM engines for many years. No spare ECU necessary. That's their thinking at this time. A flash tool is very difficult due to the ECU being locked through the OBD port.

Unless you just have to have a full delete tune, the GDE will be the best tune on the market. I can promise you that. The fuel savings alone will pay for the tune pretty quickly. When GDE says 2-3 MPG they aren't kidding. I saw the full 3 MPG on the last VM engine tune I bought from them.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I checked with GDE again yesterday and they're still aiming for fall of 2021 to have their tuning out.

They indicated that it'll be mail-in of the ECU, similarly to how they've done VM engines for many years. No spare ECU necessary. That's their thinking at this time. A flash tool is very difficult due to the ECU being locked through the OBD port.

Unless you just have to have a full delete tune, the GDE will be the best tune on the market. I can promise you that. The fuel savings alone will pay for the tune pretty quickly. When GDE says 2-3 MPG they aren't kidding. I saw the full 3 MPG on the last VM engine tune I bought from them.
Nice..if the border ever opens Ill just drive to Michigan and back and have it done. Eager to hear what kind of safe power they can get.

I love my little italian oil burner. With a few extra ponies and more torque it would be even better.

Daverous

Reaction score
Initial impressions are very solid but it’s still too early for me to comment on all aspects of the tune. In addition, I’m still waiting on my HP tuners device to come in for transmission adjustments. Here’s where I stand after about 4 days of playing around, two of which were at low throttle per the recommended procedure. I have another long highway trip coming up this weekend so I can provide a bit more insight on how it handles the Tennessee mountains and 75+ mph for 12 or more hours.

• Throttle response is superb in comparison to stock. The delay is gone. Touch the pedal and you have power. From a stand still or a roll I no longer have to “pre-load” my throttle in anticipation of passing or taking off.
  • The high idle is more refined and slightly higher(Appeared to sit around 1300 rpms most cold days). It revs up slowly when cold and drops down slowly when you hit the brake. The stock high idle worked when the HVAC was on, this tune appears to be every start when the outside temps dictate. Obviously with only a few days under my belt I don’t know all of the parameters and I also haven’t asked. Just an observation.
  • Turbo braking is noticeable. Haven’t needed it much yet and intend to further test this weekend. It’s a noticeable difference from stock but not something I can quantify as of yet.
  • EGTs are comparable even under full throttle. Again, more testing to do on some longer stretches, but watching my CTS3 everything appears dang near the same on that front. That would make sense since I was told that factory safety parameters are maintained.
  • 0-60…Subjective with some “hard numbers”. I’ll say it’s significantly quicker. To be fair I didn’t buy this truck to drag race, like most of you. Traction control off, no boost braking, just pedal to the floor, I sat around 11 seconds with my setup per CTS3 timer. A far cry from quick. I’m positive I could get that lower by boosting and dropping but I had never recorded it so, eh, take that for what it is. Now under the same circumstances I can pull off around 8 seconds per the timer. I may actually give it a few more runs after the trans tune since I’m pretty curious what I could get with an actual launch and these extra ponies.
  • General feel on the highway is pretty nice! Passing is way quicker and easier. On ramps are a breeze. It’ll get up and go significantly easier now. If I hammer down and don’t pay attention, I’ll look down and be doing 80 or better in no time.
  • Towing is still a little under tested. Moved about 1000lbs of very wet ash logs on Sunday and didn’t notice they were there at all, other than the rear end squat. I’ll have to hook the enclosed up soon for a scoot around the block.
  • Fuel mileage wasn’t even on the radar yet. I’ll see how she does on this next trip with the cruise set. I’m pretty familiar with my MPG numbers for this route so I’ll be able to tell quickly.
  • Partial vs WOT is also something I want to get more time in on. The transmission is just so sluggish on shifting I can’t get a good feel. I say sluggish, but you guys know what I mean – it’s a lot better than past transmissions just may need some help to take advantage of the new power curve. It’s also a little hard to pick out the difference in power vs the difference in increased throttle response and partial throttle and lower speeds.

Overall, I’m happy so far. The EGR alone makes me worry less. EOC/MrTuning appear to be close to the full delete tune as well with even higher HP/Torque numbers if that’s your bag.

Roaminglost

Reaction score
It’s installed! Banks derringer tune so far has been great with the combo of the pedal monster they work together and the drivability definitely is better than stock. I’ll review it more and report back when I get more miles on it F587C824-FFA4-4A7A-B204-11FF280719B5.jpeg

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So fartop contenders are banks pedal monster + derringer

Or get the extra pcm and send it in to get tuned by the ecodiesels in canada

Still confused which i want 😒🙃

Also for banks site says that it can not confirmed it fits lol so. Anyone know if tune was done for the 21

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
Derringer is now available on the Banks website for anyone interested.

datammwv13

Reaction score
I also have about 10 days on my Banks Derringer & Pedal Monster, with I-Dash. Installing is really not that bad. Two turbo boot screws hardest to remove & not loose. Very clean out of way and site installation. Have tried with just Derringer on level 6 and no Pedal Monster, along with numerous other combinations. Have settled in on Derringer 3 and Pedal Monster in middle of Sport mode. What I can say coming from 2021 Hemi e-torqe & 2019 hemi is that the truck is at least back to Hemi level and above. I was very displeased with the 'get out of its own way' prior to these upgrades. My 2021 ED build date 3-21 with only 900 miles when I installed is back to being fun to drive and pull out onto a street without worrying the car you pulled out in front of will catch you. As expected mileage has gone from 27-28 to 23-25mpg. But I'm sure will level back out once playing phase done. It is no doubt a bit pricey for actual HP, however I wanted something that I had a MAJOR Company backing my daily driver. I didn't want to fight with voiding warranty with changing computers out/in. Plus I like the ability to monitor additional stuff.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Scjon03

Reaction score
Just order the derringer turner. w/o the Pedal Monster though. So hope without that it is still worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread