5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News on a tune?

jeeg78

Reaction score
GDE said they keep a copy of your stock PCM data so if you send them a blank they will flash it for you, I think they said $300 for the service. I will more than likely go that route as I don't want to raise any suspicion at my dealer just in case.

Reactions: c3k

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
GDE said they keep a copy of your stock PCM data so if you send them a blank they will flash it for you, I think they said $300 for the service. I will more than likely go that route as I don't want to raise any suspicion at my dealer just in case.
What!?! That’s awesome! That’s also $150 cheaper than my guy. Did you ask if you can just send both at the same time?

jeeg78

Reaction score
What!?! That’s awesome! That’s also $150 cheaper than my guy. Did you ask if you can just send both at the same time?
I did not but I'm assuming it shouldn't be an issue - send both in at the same time, get back a tuned version along with a copy of your original. I am pretty happy about them being able to do the stock flash as I was trying to think of a reason to ask my dealer to do it, now it should be smooth sailing.

rtpassini

Reaction score
Ive heard that the dealer will know if swapping out the ECU due to certain parameters not being saved. Any confirmation? But as stated, what happens with there is something else the computer does for a flash? Theres no way GDE would know or be able to do anything about that....

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ive heard that the dealer will know if swapping out the ECU due to certain parameters not being saved. Any confirmation? But as stated, what happens with there is something else the computer does for a flash? Theres no way GDE would know or be able to do anything about that....
If you performed 3 full readiness cycles before going to the dealer, the only way they would know is if the mileage is saved as a parameter. I imagine if it did and there was a mismatch between BCM and PCM mileage, then the system would probably throw a code and/or not start. Note: I don’t know that what I mentioned is the case, I’m just brainstorming possibilities.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where are you guys sourcing blank PCM's?
go back one page

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To update this, PCM‘s are on national backorder. Even with my wholesale accounts and connections, no one in the US will sell to me if it’s not a repair at their dealer. My guy said it’s 2 to 3 month minimum wait; he has a view of every dealers inventory in the US, so I trust him. With that in mind, I ordered a banks Derringer to try out. I figure I can recoup most of that money if I don’t like it since those are about to be back ordered as well.

JdSunrise

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I am also looking into getting a spare but I have not been able to source one for a '22 yet. My PCM looks to be at their place by tomorrow so should hopefully get it back by next Monday at the latest. Got back from Idaho a few wks back, pulled a 23' enclosed sled trailer loaded up and 4 people in the truck - did pretty well I thought especially compared to the '19 E torque I had last. It's been awhile but stock it felt similar to the '16 GDE tuned Eco I had previously. Leaving for the U.P. next Friday so anxious to compare between the 2 but judging from most of the reviews I think I will be impressed.
Different pcm for a 22’ vs 21?!?

GrizEagle

Reaction score
Any news ? Any new GDE tune owners ????

I installed the GDE tune in my truck this week. Wow! Drives like a whole new truck! Way crisper throttle response and you can really feel the additional torque in the lower gears while accelerating.

Quicker shifts, lower shift points, and quieter/smoother engine noise are the things I noticed right off the bat. I haven't driven far enough to get a feel for mileage yet, but am doing a 250 mile trip today so I will report back. One thing I did notice was it seems like it is loading the DPF at a faster rate (I monitor via Torque app) and isn't burning off as quick as before despite similar driving habits and routes. Again, just might be too soon to tell.

I bought a blank PCM awhile back (before the current backorder) and had them clone my original as a spare so I don't have to worry about the dealership accidentally overwriting the tune.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed the GDE tune in my truck this week. Wow! Drives like a whole new truck! Way crisper throttle response and you can really feel the additional torque in the lower gears while accelerating.

Quicker shifts, lower shift points, and quieter/smoother engine noise are the things I noticed right off the bat. I haven't driven far enough to get a feel for mileage yet, but am doing a 250 mile trip today so I will report back. One thing I did notice was it seems like it is loading the DPF at a faster rate (I monitor via Torque app) and isn't burning off as quick as before despite similar driving habits and routes. Again, just might be too soon to tell.

I bought a blank PCM awhile back (before the current backorder) and had them clone my original as a spare so I don't have to worry about the dealership accidentally overwriting the tune.
I am still trying to locate a spare PCM. Because the Dealer Overwrote the Tune. There is a Y-81 Recall for the DEF System that will overwrite the PCM and a TSB on the Radio.

Malodave

• Sad

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am still trying to locate a spare PCM. Because the Dealer Overwrote the Tune. There is a Y-81 Recall for the DEF System that will overwrite the PCM and a TSB on the Radio.

Malodave
I put in an order with my wholesale parts guy, and have been waiting for two months. I still don’t have an ETA.

TSL

Reaction score

I believe with GDE there's also a trans tune via a handheld device they ship you. Do you think you'd also revert that back to oem before going near dealer, in addition to putting your oem clone pcm back in. If so, would you say that's fairly straightforward to do?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe with GDE there's also a trans tune via a handheld device they ship you. Do you think you'd also revert that back to oem before going near dealer, in addition to putting your oem clone pcm back in. If so, would you say that's fairly straightforward to do?
Yes, you should because it could brick the Trans Module per GDE.

Malodave

GrizEagle

Reaction score

Yes, you download your original trans tune via the handheld device they send you and then send the file to GDE and they return a tuned version of the file that you upload to the handheld device and then flash the transmission computer with. Once you have the tuned file on the handheld, it is a matter of less than 5 minutes to flash the transmission back to the stock so that it doesn't get overwritten.

The PCM takes about 5-10 minutes to swap as well (including beer sips along the way). 4 bolts and two wiring harness clips.

Users who are viewing this thread