5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Video on 5.7 Hemi Lifter Failure - Interesting bit of information

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
I just watched another video theorizing that the problem is caused by poor cam lubrication. My current take away is to keep MDS active to keep lifter oil pressure as high as possible and to limit idling to a minimum. For those in cold climates, that may mean making the investment of heated seats.

Here is a Youtuber who believes Uncle Tony is clueless. Pick your expert.

Last edited:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here is a Youtuber who believes Uncle Tony is clueless. Pick your expert.

You literally made my month by linking that video, so thanks a ton. I'd "like" your post more than once if I could. I really needed to see that video as I was worried about longevity and how long I should keep my truck etc., this has completely changed my perspective.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You literally made my month by linking that video, so thanks a ton. I'd "like" your post more than once if I could. I really needed to see that video as I was worried about longevity and how long I should keep my truck etc., this has completely changed my perspective.
I'd just drive it like you want to and not try to baby it. If you take good care of it, and change your oil every 5-10K miles, the motor will outlast the truck.

silver billet

Reaction score
Very interesting videos, totally confused now.

Some of his convincing (to me) points: FCA says "change the oil every 230 hours for severe usage". That would be every 2 weeks in a cop car that sees 24 hour usage. That's not happening to many cop cars, and dirty oil kills the needle bearings in the lifters. If you change the oil regularly, you should be fine.

Second one, if there was truly a flaw in the design (lifters not getting oiled), every hemi would die right away. FCA sells close to a million hemis a year, if it was a truly flaw, the issue would be huge and everybody would be having the problem, we'd have tons of reports all over place just due to sheer numbers. Instead it's a few people posting on a few forums (not counting the cop car/extensive idling issue where oil probably isn't getting changed enough).

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Some of his convincing (to me) points: FCA says "change the oil every 230 hours for severe usage". That would be every 2 weeks in a cop car that sees 24 hour usage. That's not happening to many cop cars, and dirty oil kills the needle bearings in the lifters. If you change the oil regularly, you should be fine.

Second one, if there was truly a flaw in the design (lifters not getting oiled), every hemi would die right away. FCA sells close to a million hemis a year, if it was a truly flaw, the issue would be huge and everybody would be having the problem, we'd have tons of reports all over place just due to sheer numbers. Instead it's a few people posting on a few forums (not counting the cop car/extensive idling issue where oil probably isn't getting changed enough).
THIS ^^^ (y)

Reverse

Reaction score

I changed oil regularly, never idled for long, but still had the lifter problem at around 100,000 miles. For me, extended warranty took care of it, but would have been about $5,000 otherwise. I still bought a 5th gen, but will always get the extended warranty to cover me if the sh%t hits the fan. I consider that the price of owning a Ram. This has paid off for me so far.

I do disagree that the problem is not widespread though. In the grand scheme of automotive things, 5% is a huge failure rate, especially one of this magnitude. It isn't for nothing that the lifters are on permanent back order.

Having said all of that, we happily still drive the truck with the fixed engine, it's at around 178,000 miles now and running strong (knock on wood). We've owned two more hemi's, one with and one without MDS, and they were flawless well past 100,000 miles. I personally believe there isn't really anything we as owners can do to improve the odds.

silver billet

Reaction score
Anybody know what the very light ticking is coming from the drinkers side of the engine? It's definitely not lifter tick (can't hear it unless you're head is directly over top), and not exhaust manifold tick either. It's too light and faint for those 2 common cases, mine has done it from day one.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
I'm glad it was helpful, the video is kind of tedious to set though but I believe he makes some valid points.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
Anybody know what the very light ticking is coming from the drinkers side of the engine? It's definitely not lifter tick (can't hear it unless you're head is directly over top), and not exhaust manifold tick either. It's too light and faint for those 2 common cases, mine has done it from day one.
You might be hearing the fuel injectors .

TBMSport

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Very interesting videos, totally confused now.

X3 My truck has been ticking (especially loud in eco mode) since day one with about 50 miles on her. I assumed it was bad cheap gas as the truck was on the lot for 8 months. But it has only gotten louder and I have been running premium since tank #2. First service oil change made zero difference

SD Rebel

Reaction score
X3 My truck has been ticking (especially loud in eco mode) since day one with about 50 miles on her. I assumed it was bad cheap gas as the truck was on the lot for 8 months. But it has only gotten louder and I have been running premium since tank #2. First service oil change made zero difference

How loud is the ticking, are you sure it's not the injectors, because they can be quite loud especially when they bounce off a wall or a sign, like say the speaker box order wall at a McDonalds.

The loud ticking, the real ticking will sound almost like that "metal clink" you hear once in a while at first start up, but constant.

TBMSport

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How loud is the ticking, are you sure it's not the injectors, because they can be quite loud especially when they bounce off a wall or a sign, like say the speaker box order wall at a McDonalds.

The loud ticking, the real ticking will sound almost like that "metal clink" you hear once in a while at first start up, but constant.

I hear that light tick, but this is something different. It's constant under eco mode load and can even be heard faintly on all 8 cylinders under load. It's NEVER short on power, misses, or stumbles, just gets marginally louder depending on temperature and how long I've been driving it. Also seems to be louder under all conditions on the passenger side. Makes the truck just sound like junk when driving next to walls, barriers, etc. Quite embarrassing for a new top of the line truck and something I've never had the misfortune of experiencing short of my old Freightliner with 425 Kitty Cat. I have had several GM vehicles over the years and even a few Fords. Hell I have a Chevy Trailblazer SS LS2 with an obvious lifter issue, but it only makes itself known at idle. I have years of experience as a dealer service advisor from lots of makes and work on my own vehicles. This, however, is a defective engine and it's insulting to RAM owners when dealers blow it off as "normal operation".

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I hear that light tick, but this is something different. It's constant under eco mode load and can even be heard faintly on all 8 cylinders under load. It's NEVER short on power, misses, or stumbles, just gets marginally louder depending on temperature and how long I've been driving it. Also seems to be louder under all conditions on the passenger side. Makes the truck just sound like junk when driving next to walls, barriers, etc. Quite embarrassing for a new top of the line truck and something I've never had the misfortune of experiencing short of my old Freightliner with 425 Kitty Cat. I have had several GM vehicles over the years and even a few Fords. Hell I have a Chevy Trailblazer SS LS2 with an obvious lifter issue, but it only makes itself known at idle. I have years of experience as a dealer service advisor from lots of makes and work on my own vehicles. This, however, is a defective engine and it's insulting to RAM owners when dealers blow it off as "normal operation".

Gotcha, that makes sense. Can you try another dealership or contact RAM cares?

silver billet

Reaction score

I'm almost certain what you're hearing in your engine is what I'm hearing in mine, and if that's the case it's definitely "normal"; I hear it in every youtube video I've seen with the hemi; at one point I was worried about having the lifter tick and watched a video where a guy said he got rid of it using redline 5w-30 + royal purple oil filter, then he said "see, listen" and shoved the camera into the engine bay. I was like "Don't you hear that ticking man??" Different tick, as SD Rebel said, more than likely injectors.

These hemis are not quiet. Just how they are. I also hear mine slightly while in ECO (back when I used ECO), the tick under ECO almost sounds like it's coming from under the floor by the rear passenger seats. I've double checked exhaust etc, I don't think it's anything to worry about considering every Hemi I've listened to since then has that injector noise.

Pop the hood, and walk over to the passenger side while it's running. Is it more noticeable there vs the right side?

Maybe post a video too...

Users who are viewing this thread