5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Video on 5.7 Hemi Lifter Failure - Interesting bit of information

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
So, I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this, but is the "MDS mode" the same thing as what the owner's manual calls "ERS"? In my defense, I've had my 1500 for only about a month, so I'm still learning.
No, MDS is cylinder deactivation (from 8 to 4) for fuel savings.
ERS is gear limiting (used to limit the highest gear you want to truck to be in, for example when going downhill, etc), which incidentally, disables MDS.

834k3r

Reaction score
No, MDS is cylinder deactivation (from 8 to 4) for fuel savings.
ERS is gear limiting (used to limit the highest gear you want to truck to be in, for example when going downhill, etc), which incidentally, disables MDS.
Got it--thanks!

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this, but is the "MDS mode" the same thing as what the owner's manual calls "ERS"? In my defense, I've had my 1500 for only about a month, so I'm still learning.
Electronic range selection (ERS) allows you to put a range on the gears available in your automatic transmission. If you are in “Drive,” for instance, your vehicle can use every gear. ERS allows you to set a limit for the highest gear that you can use. To switch into ERS mode, simply move your automatic shifter from “Drive” to one of the gear numbers. This will limit your vehicle to that gear, and all the gears below it (i.e. if you place the automatic shifter at “3,” then the vehicle can only use gears one, two, and three).

MDS stands for Multi Displacement System, which when at highway speed will shut down to use only four cylinders instead of all 8 to save on fuel consumption. When you step on the gas to climb a hill or pass another vehicle or just to hear that HEMI Roar, the other 4 cylinders will automatically kick back in.

I hope this clears things up. ;)

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have thought long and hard on what the problem could be on destroyed cams. Then this morning it hit me, Programed Obsolescence! As I started my truck this morning it sounded like a lifter was in sideways! The same way It sounded the day I picked it up from the dealer. They say the lifter needs to pump up. I say BULL ****! Everyone knows the most damage done to an engine is at start up. These lifters sound dead or stuck not deflated, if they were deflated they would not let the valves lift. I'm sure enough damage is done in the occasional stuck lifter start up to destroy a cam!
This is my third Ram with a Hemi and I’ve never had the Hemi tick , knock on wood , I hope I never experience it . I also never use MDS , I shut it off as soon as I put the truck in drive .

ram0686

Reaction score
This is my third Ram with a Hemi and I’ve never had the Hemi tick , knock on wood , I hope I never experience it . I also never use MDS , I shut it off as soon as I put the truck in drive .
If you don't mind me asking... how many miles do you average on your Ram trucks? Seems like a large deal of people on the forum don't keep their vehicles very long.
That's just an observation on my part.. I could be very wrong!!

Most problems don't show up until after the 100,000 mile mark.

Thanks

Fatherof3

Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking... how many miles do you average on your Ram trucks? Seems like a large deal of people on the forum don't keep their vehicles very long.
That's just an observation on my part.. I could be very wrong!!

Most problems don't show up until after the 100,000 mile mark.

Thanks
Got me there , I don’t have a long commute to work . I had about 35k on my last one . I’d still have it if it wasn’t for the air ride .

ram0686

Reaction score
Got me there , I don’t have a long commute to work . I had about 35k on my last one . I’d still have it if it wasn’t for the air ride .
Thanks for reply!

I'm just curious.. I have faith in our Rams. Just got to do our part in maintenance. If I get 200,000 miles with small repairs I'd be more than satisfied

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
im
not watching the video one less thing ill be anal about thanks for posting though

Quint

Reaction score
My 2015 Ram developed the hemi tick around 60k miles. I live in Minnesota but do not idle much, meaning rarely more than a minute or two even on the coldest of mornings. In the winter I use remote start more to get the oil warmed up slightly before hopping in to drive immediately. I also have a short work commute during non-covid times, and frequently tow my boat 4hrs each way to our cabin. I rarely ever disabled the MDS via gear selection. Around 85k miles I started throwing a code that cylinder #5 was misfiring. My local shop replaced the plug and coil twice. I never noticed a power decrease or even a change in noise. The truck would only throw the code when towing, and at that maybe only 60-70% of the time, and it would go away after towing. At 112k miles I finally took it to the dealer who diagnosed it as cam & lifter failure.

I throw this out for any of you trying to diagnose what usage could lead to the failure. The truck had 3.21 gears and was driven gently. My new 2021 has 3.92 gearing and I am putting the pedal to the metal more often, at the suggestion of the dealer, to splash oil around more often.

Quint

Reaction score
My wife rolls her eyes each time I get hard on the gas, because she knows that I'll just quote the dealership.... It's keeping our middle-aged relationship in place!

Fatherof3

Reaction score
That's part of Uncle Tony's theory, but the lifters use pressurized oil, I don't see how angle plays any role in this whatsoever. He grabs a lifter on angle and pours oil over it and then it drops off before reaching the needle bearings and then says "see, no lubrication", but it's pressurized oil, it's going to be reaching the end.

Same thing with the height/placement, the lifters don't get "splashed" with oil from off the crank, they get pressurized oil.

I better stop arguing because I have to admit this is out of my wheelhouse, but so far all of this rumour and speculation is based off of Uncle Tony's video and many have tried to correct his theory but the damage is now done. Apparently FCA doesn't now how to lubricate an engine 🤷‍♂️
I think Uncle Tony would have had a different result if the oil was pressurized and in the lifter galley . Oil can’t just run off of the lifter inside the lifter galley .

JLaw297

Reaction score
My take away from the Reignited video is it's better to leave MDS on if your casually driving around town (low RPM) because of the pressurized oil needed depress the lifter pins. If there's enough pressure to force those pins in on both sides, surely oil is making it to the rollers and then the cam. I picture it like when you do an oil change on these trucks, the lifter bore is the hole in the oil pan.. the sway bar is your camshaft. Oil everywhere lol. I'm no expert in fluid dynamics, but I find it hard to imagine it just being a drip during MDS usage..

My only concern is I'm wondering if over time the springs inside the MDS lifters begin to weaken from MDS usage, which could potentially cause some roller "skipping" (only during MDS usage) causing the needle bearings to get pounded by the cam and fail??

aoehero

Reaction score
In the winter I use remote start more to get the oil warmed up slightly before hopping in to drive immediately.

I always used the remote start but now I listen at start up for a sideways lifter! It doesn't do It but once a month or so, But one stuck lifter can wipe a cam at start up. I've got my fingers crossed. I considered going to the dealer with the complaint" needs valve adjustment" but I dont think they will be able to reproduce the noise.

aoehero

Reaction score
Has anyone else had an occasional dry lifter/knock/tick sound at start up that goes away after 15 seconds? From a new vehicle?

Quint

Reaction score
Mine was exactly like that, but started around 60k miles. It would tick for the first 15-30 seconds, or until I drove a block. Then it would sound just fine. Lifter....

Users who are viewing this thread