5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Video on 5.7 Hemi Lifter Failure - Interesting bit of information

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just saw this pop up on my youtube feed and gave it a watch. Definitely informative and worth the watch if you're interested! If this has already been posted (I didn't see a thread) feel free to remove.

Too Long; Didn't Watch - Basically went over that lifter failure only happens to roughly 5% of all Hemis and FCA is in no hurry to retool their production lines to fix such a small number of instances. Addresses some of the speculation on what causes the lifter failure and then goes on to show a disassembled MDS lifter vs a standard lifter. Then discusses some hypothesis on what's going on as well as explaining how the MDS system functions. This is the really interesting portion in my opinion.

Last edited:

KY2021Laramie

Reaction score
I just saw this pop up on my youtube feed and gave it a watch. Definitely informative and worth the watch if you're interested! If this has already been posted (I didn't see a thread) feel free to remove.

Too Long; Didn't Watch - Basically went over that lifter failure only happens to roughly 5% of all Hemis and FCA is in no hurry to retool their production lines to fix such a small number of instances. Addresses some of the speculation on what causes the lifter failure and then goes on to show a disassembled MDS lifter vs a standard lifter. Then discusses some hypothesis on what's going on as well as explaining how the MDS system functions. This is the really interesting portion in my opinion.

I had lifter failure on my 2012 GMC Sierra. It was awful. I think a 5% failure rate is still not acceptable when you’re selling half a million units.

ram0686

Reaction score
Yeah it was an informative video. Seems like environment location could play a part. Who knows!

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had lifter failure on my 2012 GMC Sierra. It was awful. I think a 5% failure rate is still not acceptable when you’re selling half a million units.

I don't disagree but when you think of it from the point of a large manufacturer it just is what it is. We'd all love for them to not have any issues but you're always going to have a margin of error and I guess that's up to the bean counters.

Fortunately it seems that if you drive your truck as intended and don't let it idle forever then the lifter issue probably won't affect you.

flyfingers

Reaction score
So is the take away from this video to not manually deactivate the MDS system by doing to +/- toggle to 8th gear? If this guy is onto something then sounds like the goal should be to keep the MDS activated as much as possible by driving with a light foot.
BTW the MDS info portion of the video starts at the 12 minute mark

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

This was already posted somewhere else on this forum as I watched it a while back. Interesting indeed.

soSincerious

Reaction score
I can manage to keep Eco mode on for most of my daily drive ...

Now, if I can also to manage to keep a car for more than 2 years, I'd be interested to see how my lifters sound once the mileage racks up.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This was already posted somewhere else on this forum as I watched it a while back. Interesting indeed.
I think it is a little misleading, in that: If you are running a stock engine, never disabling MDS still only pressurizes some of the lifters, some of the time. The video makers point was in regard to replacing all of your lifters and running extra oil pressure all of the time. Plus, I would be concerned with oil aeration and creating leaks with that constant, increased oil pressure.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think it is a little misleading, in that: If you are running a stock engine, never disabling MDS still only pressurizes some of the lifters, some of the time. The video makers point was in regard to replacing all of your lifters and running extra oil pressure all of the time. Plus, I would be concerned with oil aeration and creating leaks with that constant, increased oil pressure.
I, personally, run with MDS OFF 100% of the time.

silver billet

Reaction score
I do too, can't stand MDS. I have to think, what happens in tow mode then? If you're towing a trailer for 4 hours and MDS is disabled and that is the only way to sufficiently lubricate the lifters (when MDS kicks in), well, that engine is going to have problems very quickly, because tow mode disables MDS. Unless it disables the 4 cylinder mode but still manages to do the oil pressure stuff which I don't believe is possible because the oil pressure is apparently required to activate MDS.

So, he has a well reasoned theory, but I'm not sure I would worry about it. I'm still going to drive with MDS off.

MeOff

Reaction score
I had 08'Ram 1500, 5.7 hemi w/MDS. Quad Cab w/8'bed, 4x4.Bought new. 1st oil change at 3000 miles. 2nd at 10,000 miles. Every 10,000 miles afterward w/ 5w20 full synthetic and filter. Had for 11years w/200,000 miles when traded in on my 2019. Never disabled the MDS, lots of idle time, at least once a week hit 100 miles an hour. Drove it strong! Never a tick, noise or leaks from engine, tranny, rear end, front end or transfer case. Never a mech'l issue, although I did have to replace pw'r steering unit at third year. Miss that truck! If my new one does as well I'll be happy, so far no issues at 27,000 miles. Laramie, Quad Cab w/6'-4" bed. Sport Edition, all options as the Limited, only less expensive. Lovn' my truck. Sorry for you fellows that have had issues, as the Rams are good trucks. This my fourth since 1995.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had 08'Ram 1500, 5.7 hemi w/MDS. Quad Cab w/8'bed, 4x4.Bought new. 1st oil change at 3000 miles. 2nd at 10,000 miles. Every 10,000 miles afterward w/ 5w20 full synthetic and filter. Had for 11years w/200,000 miles when traded in on my 2019. Never disabled the MDS, lots of idle time, at least once a week hit 100 miles an hour. Drove it strong! Never a tick, noise or leaks from engine, tranny, rear end, front end or transfer case. Never a mech'l issue, although I did have to replace pw'r steering unit at third year. Miss that truck! If my new one does as well I'll be happy, so far no issues at 27,000 miles. Laramie, Quad Cab w/6'-4" bed. Sport Edition, all options as the Limited, only less expensive. Lovn' my truck. Sorry for you fellows that have had issues, as the Rams are good trucks. This my fourth since 1995.
Always good to hear from long time ram owners who are happy! My dad has also owned several Rams over the years with no issues. Here's to hoping we all have a long happy time with our trucks.

flynjay

Reaction score

I just watched another video theorizing that the problem is caused by poor cam lubrication. My current take away is to keep MDS active to keep lifter oil pressure as high as possible and to limit idling to a minimum. For those in cold climates, that may mean making the investment of heated seats.

silver billet

Reaction score
I just watched another video theorizing that the problem is caused by poor cam lubrication. My current take away is to keep MDS active to keep lifter oil pressure as high as possible and to limit idling to a minimum. For those in cold climates, that may mean making the investment of heated seats.

Well what if you're towing at 1800 - 1900 rpms for hours. MDS is not active. If you needed MDS to fully lubricate your engine, towing is sure to self destruct it in a quick hurry. So I can't accept that theory (that you need MDS) at the moment, unless they're is something else I'm missing.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I don't see how that video points to keeping MDS active as the best answer.
To me it stresses more the importance of getting your hemi above 3k rpm's often to drench the camshaft in oil.
Does MDS being active result in the same 'drenching' of the camshaft as winding out the engine a few times a day?

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
To me it stresses more the importance of getting your hemi above 3k rpm's often to drench the camshaft in oil.
Does MDS being active result in the same 'drenching' of the camshaft as winding out the engine a few times a day?

Looks like my lifters and cam shaft will be just fine since I am proactive about my preventative maintenance - lots of time above 3k RPMs for me! haha

silver billet

Reaction score

The video there is the first one, from "uncle tony's garage". The second video to come out just recently is from a former FCA mechanic who is talking about MDS in more detail, and is wondering if keeping MDS enabled at all times would lead to better/necessary oiling of the lifters.

flynjay

Reaction score
MDS video: MDS on keeps oil pressure higher on lifters. (No real proof this increases oil lubrication of lifter roller bearing)
Limit Idling: Getting more oil on lifter rollers due to slinging from crank. (definitely increases oil exposure to lifter roller bearing)

My thoughts are more towards less utilization of remote start, idling to warm up vehicle when it's cold, etc.

As far as MDS utilization, I don't think it plays a large part in the lifter roller failure since there really isn't a path through the lifter. And I prefer the gas mileage savings from MDS.

Users who are viewing this thread