5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Toyo Open country at3 thoughts

Barqs

Reaction score
I put a set of the Toyo A/T II's on my Cherokee Trailhawk and they have been terrible in the wet conditions. I wanted Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's but the tire guy I was dealing with convinced me that the Toyo was a far superior tire as far as ride quality and balance. But after that experience I didn't think twice about putting Wildpeak A/T3W's on my Ram when it was time to replace the H/Ts. So far I've really liked the Falkens on the truck and they seem planted in the rain. We don't get much snow around here but if we do I feel they'll do well there as well. I've had BFG KO2's on my Jeep Wrangler for a few years now and they have been great in the rain but I've not had them in the snow either. They were my go-to tires for years but I wanted to try other brands and save a bit of money in the process. Like other's have posted, if money wasn't a factor I would put KO2's on all my rides, but they were $200+ more for a set on the Cherokee and nearly $400 more for the Ram.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put a set of the Toyo A/T II's on my Cherokee Trailhawk and they have been terrible in the wet conditions. I wanted Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's but the tire guy I was dealing with convinced me that the Toyo was a far superior tire as far as ride quality and balance. But after that experience I didn't think twice about putting Wildpeak A/T3W's on my Ram when it was time to replace the H/Ts. So far I've really liked the Falkens on the truck and they seem planted in the rain. We don't get much snow around here but if we do I feel they'll do well there as well. I've had BFG KO2's on my Jeep Wrangler for a few years now and they have been great in the rain but I've not had them in the snow either. They were my go-to tires for years but I wanted to try other brands and save a bit of money in the process. Like other's have posted, if money wasn't a factor I would put KO2's on all my rides, but they were $200+ more for a set on the Cherokee and nearly $400 more for the Ram.

To me I think the KO2s and the Falken AT3Ws are at the top of the list for good ATs on a pickup truck (I would also add duratracs, and if the reviews are to be believed, the new toyos belong in that tier). I loved the KO2s I had, really did.
I totally hated the Toyo AT2s, specifically for how awful they were in the rain when it got cold.
Didn't want to try snow. Those were NOT 3PMSF rated.

I'm really interested to see how the changes in tread design and rubber mixture on the Toyo AT3s will turn out, I ordered a set and they go on soon.

watson439

Reaction score
I'm interested in the Toyo AT3s as well. I've narrowed it down to those, BFG KO2s, or Nitto Trail Grapplers. The Nittos fall on this list mostly because of design, I'm putting new wheels on the truck and don't want to oversize the tires too much just to get an aggressive look, the Nittos looks very aggressive because of thier sidewall.

I know the nittos are a hybrid tire, but everything I've heard about them say they are very well mannered on road (road noise, handling etc etc of a AT tire). Anyone have experience with the Trail Grapplers??

eeziter

Reaction score
I had a set of the ridge grappler‘s on my 2019 ram 1500 hemi. I bought aftermarket 18 inch fuel wheels to put them on. I really liked the ride of the ridge grappler‘s, however they wear fairly quickly. Don’t know if that was due to improper inflation, I rotated them about every 5000 miles, and I tow a small travel trailer that weighed about 4000 pounds. After about 22,000 miles on them they look like they need to be replaced. I just bought a 2020 eco-diesel with 22 inch wheels. And I’m planning on putting the Toyo at3s on my new truck. I live in snow country and I need a better tire than the stock road tires. Hoping these work well for towing, snow and rain.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The AT3s are on! Initial first drive thoughts to follow, I'm pretty tired today so expect some "Word salad" in places!

Wow, is what I can say. Wow. They are a better onroad tire, no doubt about it.
I'm coming from the factory duratracs that had just under ~24,000 miles on them.
I did not hate them, I found them adequate, I won't knock them.

I think the Toyos are the better on road tire (by far) thusfar, and the duratracs are likely better offroad, particularly in mud.
Don't get me wrong I think the Toyos will be capable enough, and will be able to perform where I would be comfortable taking a mostly stock ~80in wide, $50,000+ truck truck with 33in tires, unlifted, with the breakover angles of a fullsize truck.
I'm not super interested in rock-crawling, pure mudding, or denting my magnaflow exhaust - with those situations being left out, the Toyo will likely be fine, but I'll have to test that theory one day!

The toyos, after the first drive on road, I honestly believe they have less rolling resistance than the duratracs. I think they're a smidge harder rubber wise, the pattern less aggressive, I believe they're 2lbs lighter on the spec sheet, there's more rubber contacting the road, etc. I was able to carry a little more speed into a corner or two (I was stuck behind the oldest driver in the united states, didn't get to test it too much until I passed the poor old guy who thankfully made a left turn at some point). The sidewalls might be harder than the duratracs, I will be interested to see if that changes with a few thousand miles. I say that as I felt less body roll. It could just be that the tires are new. The grip on road was VERY good coming from the duratrac. I get the feeling driving a Ram sport package and a Rebel are 2 very different driving experiences.
It was also quieter.

I actually suspect that I'm going to hit 16mpg around town soon now. The Ram air intake (coupled with the magnaflow exhaust) bumped up the mpg somewhat, I wanna say somewhere between .5 to 1mpg.
I'm at 15.6ish on 87 octane. I don't think the truck has dropped below 15mpg since, when before spirited driving would get me to the mid 14s quickly.
These tires will likely increase it again, if you're able to go into eco going uphill, carry more speed into and out of corners - now you don't have to brake and re-accelerate, etc. I was getting a range between 14.7-15.3 off the top of my head with the goodyears. If I behaved and got some highway miles, and behaved again, it would bump to 15.5 Highway I want to say I would get 18.9 on a long highway loop.

My guess, between the intake and tires, I'll see around 16 city, darn near 20 highway.

THUSFAR, first take?
If you have a rebel and LOVE it, if you would like better MPG, road handling manners, a little less body roll - but you DO NOT want to make your truck as offroad worthy as a prius on drag radials? If you want a true A/T tire with a 3MPSF rating that works on the road too? The Toyo AT3 is worth a look. It is a different tire than the AT2.

I'll be updating this thread as I get more miles on them! Thusfar, drive one on a sunny day, I'm pleased.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Emailed Toyo Canada

The 3 is not an option in Canada yet

The at 2 is here. And the at2 aw is the alternate to the 3 here

I could import. Makes it a bit pricey, and if I want any kind of warranty/support at any point, I’d have a lot of fun.....

Pass for now...

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pics!! How’s the noise/hum?

Took a quick photo!

So I think tire noise is something that gets figured out once it's sorta broken in.
What I can say RIGHT now, today? I haven't been over 45mph yet, so I have nothing on highway levels yet.
Under 40 they're quieter than the duratrac, in my opinion.
I actually felt like suddenly my exhaust system seemed louder (I know it's not!) It's just that I can hear it better in that low range.
However, at 45mph I do notice some noise, it's different noise from the duratracs.
Note: It is not a road tire, it is an A/T tire, it reminds you of that at 45mph.
However, the road-manners have been awesome.

The sidewalls on this white outline tire, in my opinion they are not aggressive, personally I don't mind. If you do, I really think the BFG KO2 is the best game in town. The duratrac also looks aggressive. These are comparatively pedestrian in appearance, but perform just fine (so says the reviewers anyway, I'll have to test that myself!).

I'll give more updates and impressions as I get to drive it more, more photos too

On an interesting note, I saw a newish- looking Rebel roll by me at a light today. I remember being struck by the fact that I couldn't really hear the hemi that well, but I could absolutely hear the duratracs as he rolled by. Again I do not think duratracs are terrible and noisy! Not at all like some poor guy in a jeep with 40in swamper tires rolling down the highway. Just that I was surprised at what I saw/heard. I think it's a factor of how quiet the stock exhaust is, and a hybrid M/T tire.

Attachments

• QuickTirePhoto.jpg
    QuickTirePhoto.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 384

watson439

Reaction score
I had a set of the ridge grappler‘s on my 2019 ram 1500 hemi. I bought aftermarket 18 inch fuel wheels to put them on. I really liked the ride of the ridge grappler‘s, however they wear fairly quickly. Don’t know if that was due to improper inflation, I rotated them about every 5000 miles, and I tow a small travel trailer that weighed about 4000 pounds. After about 22,000 miles on them they look like they need to be replaced. I just bought a 2020 eco-diesel with 22 inch wheels. And I’m planning on putting the Toyo at3s on my new truck. I live in snow country and I need a better tire than the stock road tires. Hoping these work well for towing, snow and rain.
That was a concern of mine as well, usually there is a reason why a company doesn't put a mileage warranty on thier tires... The Ridge Grapplers don't the new AT3s do, 65,000 for the size I'm looking at. I guess my instincts were right on the Nittos. Now the next question is, did Toyo fix the wet traction issues from the old AT2s???? Anyone have any long term experience with the AT3s who can attest to the wet traction?

Fishwiz

Reaction score
I only had them for about 4000 miles, but I thought the Toyo AT3s did quite well in the rain, and were smooth riding and fairly quiet.

I like them alot and would have switched then onto my new ram, but my new ram had 20" wheels and my Ford I traded had 18" wheels.

The Toyos are high on my list when I decide to replacey OEM Falkens.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2 more photos, I went on the highway just so I could talk about it. I was only on a short time!

Thusfar I really like them. Day one thought? Glad I did it.
I'm starting to think the less aggressive sidewall, might also be why these tires are lighter than the competition, despite being spec'd at 33.4in tall in the OEM size. There's less rubber on the side, and it translates to weight savings.
Again these tires are super new, I'm realizing I should consider some of my opinions with a "grain of salt" situation as they are ultra new.

Noise wise, didn't notice any under 40mph.
It actually made me feel like I have the exact right amount of exhaust note now.

From 50 to 70mph I did notice noise.

Tire wise, in the past I've had:
- Dueler Revo 2 A/Ts
- General Grabbers
- Toyo AT2s on a Gen1 Rebel
- BF Goodrich KO2s
- Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs
- Now the Toyo AT3s.

The sound profile reminds me of a sound I've heard before, I want to say it's the revos?
It doesn't sound like a full squadron of B-17s flying toward Berlin, not aaaaaanything like that. It's almost like a whir? A whoosh? Different sound from the duratracs.
I don't know how to quantify it but it didn't strike me as concerning, horrible, nothing like that. I notice it, but it wasn't concerning.
in fact it was quieter at 70 than it was at 50, odd. Perhaps the exhaust note covering it up? (It's not loud if the non-droning 22in magnaflow exhaust can cover it). I think this might be break in related. They are suuuper new.

I'll post some more pictures.

Attachments

• SuperNewToyos.jpg
    SuperNewToyos.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 355
  • ToyoAfterWash.jpg
    ToyoAfterWash.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 356
  • ToyoAT3Day1.jpg
    ToyoAT3Day1.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 353

watson439

Reaction score
2 more photos, I went on the highway just so I could talk about it. I was only on a short time!

Thusfar I really like them. Day one thought? Glad I did it.
I'm starting to think the less aggressive sidewall, might also be why these tires are lighter than the competition, despite being spec'd at 33.4in tall in the OEM size. There's less rubber on the side, and it translates to weight savings.
Again these tires are super new, I'm realizing I should consider some of my opinions with a "grain of salt" situation as they are ultra new.

Noise wise, didn't notice any under 40mph.
It actually made me feel like I have the exact right amount of exhaust note now.

From 50 to 70mph I did notice noise.

Tire wise, in the past I've had:
- Dueler Revo 2 A/Ts
- General Grabbers
- Toyo AT2s on a Gen1 Rebel
- BF Goodrich KO2s
- Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs
- Now the Toyo AT3s.

The sound profile reminds me of a sound I've heard before, I want to say it's the revos?
It doesn't sound like a full squadron of B-17s flying toward Berlin, not aaaaaanything like that. It's almost like a whir? A whoosh? Different sound from the duratracs.
I don't know how to quantify it but it didn't strike me as concerning, horrible, nothing like that. I notice it, but it wasn't concerning.
in fact it was quieter at 70 than it was at 50, odd. Perhaps the exhaust note covering it up? (It's not loud if the non-droning 22in magnaflow exhaust can cover it). I think this might be break in related. They are suuuper new.

I'll post some more pictures.
Awesome information ChadT, I appreciate you including the other tires you have used/had experience with. Out of all of these, which were your favorites?? I know time will only tell on the new AT3s, but what about the rest?

I'll be curious to know if that little bit of road noise goes away or gets louder with added miles on the AT3s. If you get some rainy drives, please report back!

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome information ChadT, I appreciate you including the other tires you have used/had experience with. Out of all of these, which were your favorites?? I know time will only tell on the new AT3s, but what about the rest?

I'll be curious to know if that little bit of road noise goes away or gets louder with added miles on the AT3s. If you get some rainy drives, please report back!

- Dueler Revo 2 A/Ts - A glorified highway tire, PS: Do not turn in the snow. Had good MPG. It was a simpler time then, I think we were still on BFG A/T K/Os. Not even the KO2. Might have been 2008? More aggressive than a dueler H/T, didn't ruin the driving characteristics.

- General Grabbers - They had a reputation on some web boards for "flat spotting" if they sat in certain temperature ranges, i believe I experienced that. It went away not long after rolling, but it was a funky feeling. Poor man's BFG. I recall them being good in the snow, but highways were sketchy at times. Little bit of wander, and if in a high and light box-shaped SUV, taking some wind, you noticed the lack of rubber under you.

- Toyo AT2s on a Gen1 Rebel - Slip and slides in the rain. Never chanced it to winter. Replaced at 7,000 miles. I'm so pissed about that, I forgot alll its other qualities. I believe Ram chose them for good reasons. Good offroad in the dirt, good ride even with an E-rated tire, didn't kill the MPG, etc. I think they honestly felt like they nailed it. Then the canadian rebel owners started to talk about changing out the tires.

- BF Goodrich KO2s on a Gen 1 Rebel- These were my favorite, and will always be a favorite. In the beginning I had a bad vibration in the rear tires, I had them balanced 3 seperate times - the 3rd time I had them road force balanced on that special machine, that fixed it. (Note these Toyo AT3s did not have to go on a road force balancing machine.) I also set them at about 53.5PSI front, 43.5 PSI rear, as the sidewalls felt super stiff. 2,000 miles later they relaxed, I went to regular PSI. Then, eventually the sidewalls felt a little mushy.

That aside, I loved them. Traction on everything. Great in the rain, in the snow even on an unplowed road in a surprise snowstorm that left many stranded. Freak ice storm. I could have done the speed limit everywhere had it not been gridlock everywhere. Comfortable, not too loud. I don't think they were going to last much longer than 40,000 miles, but they stuck to everything. Good to adequate on the highway too, no complaints.
This truck was leased, I was too chicken to do serious offroading with it, the light stuff it saw (that included a little bit of dirt road that got one highway tire Ram longhorn stuck, they needed to go into 4x4 and make a few turns to get out of), it breezed through without drama.

- Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs -I respect them, I think they're a good tire. Having an A/T or M/T that can get a 3MPSF rating for severe snow, and handle water, AND be comfortable, not too loud, etc? I think that makes for a good tire. I once drove on a highway in the snow, it hadn't really been really plowed yet. I didn't want to go too fast in 4x4, but I can say up to 49mph, I felt like I had excellent traction. When I didn't, I'd slow down. It was confidence inspiring. They aren't super heavy either. I honestly wanted to try something different though. I have a suspicion the rolling resistance was high due to the soft rubber, square treads, ton of open space, etc.

- Now the Toyo AT3s. - To me I was looking for an A/T that was a little better on road, where I would be using it most of the time, BUT I didn't wanna compromise snow performance or the trails I'd feel comfortable taking the truck one day. It's an offroad truck, I would not put highway tires on them, nor am I someone that's purchased highway tires for any of my rides!

I think these are better on road than the Toyo AT2s, the duratracs, and the KO2s.
The KO2 and duratrac sound profile, you could hear them, you could. I think the KO2s might have been a smidge quieter than the duratracs, but the 5th gen ram has better sound proofing. The Toyos are too quiet to hear below 40mph.
I think why people talk about noise with them, is that you don't hear them at all below 40, and suddenly hear them above 50.
At least thusfar. As I try hard to think, I think the duratracs make some noise the whole time that your brain kind of assumes is simply the truck - and it's gradually getting louder with speed.
The Toyo's sound profile shows up only with enough speed/rotational velocity.
I could see not noticing it after 5min or so on a highway trip. I'll have to test that.

I personally think these have the best lateral grip on dry road of any of the above. The Ko2s, AT2s, duratracs, all. You can carry more speed through a corner.
Even if the tires make noise when broken in (the lines on the tires are still visible right now), I could see keeping them happily and picking them again as long as they perform well in rain and snow. I really like them on road.

Attachments

• ToyoSidewall.png
    ToyoSidewall.png
    930.5 KB · Views: 115

watson439

Reaction score
- Dueler Revo 2 A/Ts - A glorified highway tire, PS: Do not turn in the snow. Had good MPG. It was a simpler time then, I think we were still on BFG A/T K/Os. Not even the KO2. Might have been 2008? More aggressive than a dueler H/T, didn't ruin the driving characteristics.

- General Grabbers - They had a reputation on some web boards for "flat spotting" if they sat in certain temperature ranges, i believe I experienced that. It went away not long after rolling, but it was a funky feeling. Poor man's BFG. I recall them being good in the snow, but highways were sketchy at times. Little bit of wander, and if in a high and light box-shaped SUV, taking some wind, you noticed the lack of rubber under you.

- Toyo AT2s on a Gen1 Rebel - Slip and slides in the rain. Never chanced it to winter. Replaced at 7,000 miles. I'm so pissed about that, I forgot alll its other qualities. I believe Ram chose them for good reasons. Good offroad in the dirt, good ride even with an E-rated tire, didn't kill the MPG, etc. I think they honestly felt like they nailed it. Then the canadian rebel owners started to talk about changing out the tires.

- BF Goodrich KO2s on a Gen 1 Rebel- These were my favorite, and will always be a favorite. In the beginning I had a bad vibration in the rear tires, I had them balanced 3 seperate times - the 3rd time I had them road force balanced on that special machine, that fixed it. (Note these Toyo AT3s did not have to go on a road force balancing machine.) I also set them at about 53.5PSI front, 43.5 PSI rear, as the sidewalls felt super stiff. 2,000 miles later they relaxed, I went to regular PSI. Then, eventually the sidewalls felt a little mushy.

That aside, I loved them. Traction on everything. Great in the rain, in the snow even on an unplowed road in a surprise snowstorm that left many stranded. Freak ice storm. I could have done the speed limit everywhere had it not been gridlock everywhere. Comfortable, not too loud. I don't think they were going to last much longer than 40,000 miles, but they stuck to everything. Good to adequate on the highway too, no complaints.
This truck was leased, I was too chicken to do serious offroading with it, the light stuff it saw (that included a little bit of dirt road that got one highway tire Ram longhorn stuck, they needed to go into 4x4 and make a few turns to get out of), it breezed through without drama.

- Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs -I respect them, I think they're a good tire. Having an A/T or M/T that can get a 3MPSF rating for severe snow, and handle water, AND be comfortable, not too loud, etc? I think that makes for a good tire. I once drove on a highway in the snow, it hadn't really been really plowed yet. I didn't want to go too fast in 4x4, but I can say up to 49mph, I felt like I had excellent traction. When I didn't, I'd slow down. It was confidence inspiring. They aren't super heavy either. I honestly wanted to try something different though. I have a suspicion the rolling resistance was high due to the soft rubber, square treads, ton of open space, etc.

- Now the Toyo AT3s. - To me I was looking for an A/T that was a little better on road, where I would be using it most of the time, BUT I didn't wanna compromise snow performance or the trails I'd feel comfortable taking the truck one day. It's an offroad truck, I would not put highway tires on them, nor am I someone that's purchased highway tires for any of my rides!

I think these are better on road than the Toyo AT2s, the duratracs, and the KO2s.
The KO2 and duratrac sound profile, you could hear them, you could. I think the KO2s might have been a smidge quieter than the duratracs, but the 5th gen ram has better sound proofing. The Toyos are too quiet to hear below 40mph.
I think why people talk about noise with them, is that you don't hear them at all below 40, and suddenly hear them above 50.
At least thusfar. As I try hard to think, I think the duratracs make some noise the whole time that your brain kind of assumes is simply the truck - and it's gradually getting louder with speed.
The Toyo's sound profile shows up only with enough speed/rotational velocity.
I could see not noticing it after 5min or so on a highway trip. I'll have to test that.

I personally think these have the best lateral grip on dry road of any of the above. The Ko2s, AT2s, duratracs, all. You can carry more speed through a corner.
Even if the tires make noise when broken in (the lines on the tires are still visible right now), I could see keeping them happily and picking them again as long as they perform well in rain and snow. I really like them on road.
ChadT friggin awesome info, thanks again. Very helpful Information, I'm going to keep looking for some answers on the wet driving for the new AT3s. I'm not a fan of noisey tires, and I've got a buddy with a set of KO2s and you can hear them on the road for sure. If it wasn't for that, I would have already bought a set of them. That's why I looked into the AT3s and Nitto Trail Grapplers (hoping the trail grapplers would be quite) if I can find some solid info leading to the AT3s staying sticky in the wet, I'll be sold.

reb0957

Reaction score
i just put the new rims and 285/60r20 Toyo’s on. Got them from Custom Offsets. Pretty happy with the price and service. Had them put on hardrock crusher 20x9 rims.
LOVE THESE TIRES. Don’t have a ton of time on them but so far they are amazing. I’m replacing Falken wildpeaks wi 8700 mile. I really liked the Falken tires and was A bit worried moving to a LT rated tire but my worries are gone. A tad bit firmer than the Falken but by no means rough. Very quiet. I’m hearing more wind noise due to being less aerodynamic but I don’t really hear more road noise. I also love that these are also 3 peak rated for snow. We go to Colorado 3-4 time a yr to snowboard and I need good tires in snow. Anyway...I’m a fan.
What lift are you running?

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ChadT friggin awesome info, thanks again. Very helpful Information, I'm going to keep looking for some answers on the wet driving for the new AT3s. I'm not a fan of noisey tires, and I've got a buddy with a set of KO2s and you can hear them on the road for sure. If it wasn't for that, I would have already bought a set of them. That's why I looked into the AT3s and Nitto Trail Grapplers (hoping the trail grapplers would be quite) if I can find some solid info leading to the AT3s staying sticky in the wet, I'll be sold.

Hmm. Interesting.
Truth be told tire noise is never really something I paid a lot of attention to? I think a lot of times I would attribute such noises to the wind hitting the trucks, maybe not knowing better.

Now to be fair my last Ram had a Borla XR1, soundwise it was a V8-orgy everywhere I drove :ROFLMAO:

Still hasnt rained and I'm at maybe 500miles tops, so I dont know of I can definitively say on the noise - but I did more driving today

Same story
Inaudible under 40
Noise shows up at 50-70

I think it's windnoise from the tires, not tire on road sound? Different from the duratracs for sure

If I had to describe it? Being very honest?
At highway speed, if going downhill and there's not a lot of engine sound?
It's like a white noise machine on an airliner setting. Something like that. It's weird?
Music on volume 14 will drown it. If you talk you cant hear it.
Thats thusfar. Again no noise until you get tire rotational velocity, then you do

Users who are viewing this thread