5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Toyo Open country at3 thoughts

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an update, still no rain.

In another thread elsewhere on this board, I saw someone mentioned tire noise going up with a tire being underinflated.
I started running the tires at 56/46 cold PSI, and also heard them at 54 cold PSI.
I'm thinking there's some truth to that.

I did some more reading on other tire reviews, and I think I feel comfortable on the answer of - no they aren't that quiet of a tire, at least the LT E rated tires aren't.
I don't expect them to suddenly be after break in. It's not a tire on road noise that's constant, it's a whooping noise in a sound frequency that shows up on the highway, can't really hear it that well at low speed.
It's actually something you miss almost completely if you have your windows down (which I often do).
Windows closed, if you turn everything off? You hear it more when accelerating or decelerating. It fades at constant speed. MOST noticeable if the tires are a little under-inflated.

I like them thusfar, but if being quiet is your number one priority above all? I don't know if this is the right tire.

Do I regret the purchase? No! I like them. GREAT on road grip on dry pavement.
I'm looking forward to wet testing.
Fingers crossed that 3PMSF rating is what I believe it is. Thusfar both tires that had it that I used in the snow were fantastic.

RebelSept2a.jpg

RebelSept1a.jpg

Last edited:

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update for those following this thread:

Rain:
It finally rained! Finally.
So my 33gallon tank is approaching empty, the rear of the truck was empty, and I did not turn on 4x4 at any point.
Damn I liked the rain performance. Pretty good if you ask me.

I went back to the same roads/conditions that gave the old Toyo AT2s the fits in the rain.
Fine. Totally fine. I had to be a brat with the gas pedal to get the rear tires to break free a little bit - I mean I had to try. And when they slipped, they didn't fish tail, or fish around - the truck stayed straight.
Anecdote, one rain storm? very pleased. I would say the grip in the rain was better than the Duratracs, I think I was driving more respectfully with those and not realizing it.

Ranking the rain performance of the tires, of the ones I've driven on Rebels:
- Toyo AT3
- BF Goodrich KO2
- Duratrac

(spaces here on purpose)

- Toyo AT2.

Noise:
So I think the noise came down a little bit, and also that I've gotten used to it. But I do believe that if I had a decibel meter- it would be a touch quieter. It's not a heinous amount of noise, but again because it's quiet and then shows up at speed, you notice.

I also run the tires at 56/46. The noise did seem to lessen at higher PSI, and was louder at low PSI. However I didn't want to stray too far from the door sticker, so I'm running them at 56/46 cold.
On dry pavement the truck handles wonderfully. Today suggests to me, awesome in the rain too.

Attachments

• AT3_Rain.jpg
    AT3_Rain.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

watson439

Reaction score
Update for those following this thread:

Rain:
It finally rained! Finally.
So my 33gallon tank is approaching empty, the rear of the truck was empty, and I did not turn on 4x4 at any point.
Damn I liked the rain performance. Pretty good if you ask me.

I went back to the same roads/conditions that gave the old Toyo AT2s the fits in the rain.
Fine. Totally fine. I had to be a brat with the gas pedal to get the rear tires to break free a little bit - I mean I had to try. And when they slipped, they didn't fish tail, or fish around - the truck stayed straight.
Anecdote, one rain storm? very pleased. I would say the grip in the rain was better than the Duratracs, I think I was driving more respectfully with those and not realizing it.

Ranking the rain performance of the tires, of the ones I've driven on Rebels:
- Toyo AT3
- BF Goodrich KO2
- Duratrac

(spaces here on purpose)

- Toyo AT2.

Noise:
So I think the noise came down a little bit, and also that I've gotten used to it. But I do believe that if I had a decibel meter- it would be a touch quieter. It's not a heinous amount of noise, but again because it's quiet and then shows up at speed, you notice.

I also run the tires at 56/46. The noise did seem to lessen at higher PSI, and was louder at low PSI. However I didn't want to stray too far from the door sticker, so I'm running them at 56/46 cold.
On dry pavement the truck handles wonderfully. Today suggests to me, awesome in the rain too.
ChadT,

Once again, thanks for the awesome info, noise is not a #1, but definitely top 3 priority. Given the information you just provided, I'll be ordering me a set today. Good wet traction is a big deal and your tid bit of info is enough to tip the scales on ordering a set. Once I get them in and get a little of my own experience I'll comment on the performance as well for those out there still following along.

Scarriere

Reaction score
I believe I'll be ordering a set of these for a winter set. Likely today.
I've had A/T II Extreme on two other trucks and liked them a lot.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
So far, very pleased with the Toyos (275/70 18). Dirt, gravel, cobble, all good. On road they are smooth riding, balanced easy according to tire guy, no problem at 80 mph. Will likely be in some rain and light snow this coming week. Will report back afterwards.

LGBarnett

Reaction score
I've now had my Toyo AT3s for 3 months and they have been great. Road noise and comfort equal to or better than the OEM GY Tourings and very good off road. Louisiana rain storms, piece of cake. Gravel roads, no problems and no stones stuck in the tread! Mud and creek crossing at the hunt camp, handled with ease. I also think they even look better than the Tourings on the Limited, which was a surprise.

IMG_1995.jpg
IMG_1994.jpg

vinnie45acp

Reaction score
I've now had my Toyo AT3s for 3 months and they have been great. Road noise and comfort equal to or better than the OEM GY Tourings and very good off road. Louisiana rain storms, piece of cake. Gravel roads, no problems and no stones stuck in the tread! Mud and creek crossing at the hunt camp, handled with ease. I also think they even look better than the Tourings on the Limited, which was a surprise.

View attachment 71437
View attachment 71438
What size AT3's did you put on those OEM 22" 285 or 305?

doolin64

Reaction score
Just an update, still no rain.

In another thread elsewhere on this board, I saw someone mentioned tire noise going up with a tire being underinflated.
I started running the tires at 56/46 cold PSI, and also heard them at 54 cold PSI.
I'm thinking there's some truth to that.

I did some more reading on other tire reviews, and I think I feel comfortable on the answer of - no they aren't that quiet of a tire, at least the LT E rated tires aren't.
I don't expect them to suddenly be after break in. It's not a tire on road noise that's constant, it's a whooping noise in a sound frequency that shows up on the highway, can't really hear it that well at low speed.
It's actually something you miss almost completely if you have your windows down (which I often do).
Windows closed, if you turn everything off? You hear it more when accelerating or decelerating. It fades at constant speed. MOST noticeable if the tires are a little under-inflated.

I like them thusfar, but if being quiet is your number one priority above all? I don't know if this is the right tire.

Do I regret the purchase? No! I like them. GREAT on road grip on dry pavement.
I'm looking forward to wet testing.
Fingers crossed that 3PMSF rating is what I believe it is. Thusfar both tires that had it that I used in the snow were fantastic.

What you're describing on the highway reminds me of the Toyo R/T's I ran on my F150. They were a quiet tire, especially at that sub 40mph spend. But on the highway I had a weird resonance that made it into the cab. Used to drive me nuts. I'd have to speed up or slow down to get ride of it. Switched to Cooper Discoverer at3 XLT and loved them. Unfortunately they're not offered in 22's for me to use on my Ram.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What you're describing on the highway reminds me of the Toyo R/T's I ran on my F150. They were a quiet tire, especially at that sub 40mph spend. But on the highway I had a weird resonance that made it into the cab. Used to drive me nuts. I'd have to speed up or slow down to get ride of it. Switched to Cooper Discoverer at3 XLT and loved them. Unfortunately they're not offered in 22's for me to use on my Ram.

I tell you what these are neat/weird tires :unsure:
Fantastic traction.
I finally got them to slip in the rain!
1) Make sure you're down below 50mpg remaining on your gas tank
2) Give it more gas than you know you should, say a "jack rabbit start" in 4x2. You can get the tires to spin a bit, but it tracked straight.

Very satisfied with them thusfar. The dry traction is good as well, very good.
They're comfortable, planted, and while the tread pattern looks tame from the side? Absolutely badass from the front, wow what a goodlooking tire!

Noise-wise, same thing. Whirs at high speed, particularly when going up or down speeds - if a concrete divider is next to you it pushes the sound back. If you're at a speed/on a road surface that reflects well, AND your exhaust is quiet at that RPM? (AND you get fixated/focused on it) That's the ****tail.

Whirring at high speed aside? They're a perfect tire. I'm not an expert but they're basically perfect. The whir is the lone thing I can pick at.
3PMSF rated, good in rain, great grip on dry pavement, still an A/T tire, AND they're 52lbs each?

RAMEN

Reaction score
What size AT3's did you put on those OEM 22" 285 or 305?

Also curious to know what I size of AT tire I can put on my OEM 22” rims without doing any lift or levelling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
Just a quick follow-up:
Tires were excellent in up to heavy rain and water build up on the highway. I hit some light snow but only off road. They performed excellent there as well in snow that was approx 8" deep. They handled mud well, clearing out quickly with a quick throttle blip. Very impressive tire overall.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a quick follow-up:
Tires were excellent in up to heavy rain and water build up on the highway. I hit some light snow but only off road. They performed excellent there as well in snow that was approx 8" deep. They handled mud well, clearing out quickly with a quick throttle blip. Very impressive tire overall.

I will say in my "testing" in the rain, in 4x2 you have to get on the gas to make the rear tires spin. When they spun it was predictable, and the truck tracked well. And I was running into the "25 miles left" fuel range - the truck was very light in the back, and I was TRYING to spin the tires.
In 4x4? Wow. VERY pleased. I was able to really get on the gas to get going in the rain, I backed off because I felt like the truck could have accelerated faster than I felt was safe and smart for those roads!

I'm a big, big fan of the traction characteristics of the tires.
In these LT trim, they do have noise. That's the only knock I can think of.
They're light, they're good in rain, great on dry pavement, great grip, balanced easily.
They have one knock. Other than that they're perfect for my needs.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
I will say in my "testing" in the rain, in 4x2 you have to get on the gas to make the rear tires spin. When they spun it was predictable, and the truck tracked well. And I was running into the "25 miles left" fuel range - the truck was very light in the back, and I was TRYING to spin the tires.
In 4x4? Wow. VERY pleased. I was able to really get on the gas to get going in the rain, I backed off because I felt like the truck could have accelerated faster than I felt was safe and smart for those roads!

I'm a big, big fan of the traction characteristics of the tires.
In these LT trim, they do have noise. That's the only knock I can think of.
They're light, they're good in rain, great on dry pavement, great grip, balanced easily.
They have one knock. Other than that they're perfect for my needs.
I agree. They aren't loud, just louder than I expected.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I got some highway mileage over 15minutes on it today, it was about 40minutes each way on the highway in the rain. Enough rain that people were reluctant to showcase their inner Jeff Gordon.
Quick note: The grip never ceases to impress! I'm super happy with that.
Dry, wet, it's been great thusfar. Looking forward to the snow testing!

Noise wise (for those following this!), I had something of a breakthrough today. After a few minutes on the highway, I don't know if it's that your ears acclimate to it, or if the rubber gets a touch warmer, there could be a few factors.
But I noticed that at 68mph to 70mph, I lost the sound - and I listen for it.
Now at that point there's some MDS noise (not Drone, the magnaflow tames that nicely), but I was getting 22mpg (so said the truck computer) at 70mph, in a rebel, and I didn't notice the only knock I have on the tire.
Today was a 10/10 driving experience.

MPG wise update:
I've been getting about 15.5mpg around town lately. If the tires are underinflated I got around 15.2
After the short trip back and forth today I'm likely at 16.1 ish on the computer.

Looks wise from the side they may not impress, but from the front, allll business!

Attachments

• ToyoFrontBlurry.png
    ToyoFrontBlurry.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 125

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Snow:
So an update now that we've had snow.
I didn't get in a ton of driving on it, but the driving I did do? Inspired confidence!
I liked the grip.
To me that counts for a ton, I'm pretty set on having 3PMSF rated A/Ts for snow tires.
I love this truck (and the last one!) for a ton of reasons. On the list?
When the weather goes sideways, there's not another vehicle I'd want to be in.

On a funny note? check out the side of the tires.
I know we all kinda roast the sidewall pattern for being on the "diet coke" side of the spectrum, but it looks like the snow disagrees! :oops:
I was surprised how much snow the sidewalls picked up.

Sound:
For those following on the noise topic on the AT3s.
I found something funny. It is a recognizable sound when it eventually shows up at like 45mph.
It's easiest to pick out when the engine's barely working (think 45mph) on a loud road.
Once the speed picks up? The exhaust noise picks up, it's harder to hear.
At lower speeds, harder to hear.
Oddly enough? At higher speeds? Same, at 65-70 now there's wind noise on the truck, and exhaust note.

So if you WANT to hear it, and you have a good ear for picking out musical instruments (I do), you will hear it.
(This was likely true of the duratracs, and the KO2s, I just never bothered to listen to them.)
Know why you'd hear a tire noise you're listening for?
Because you're listening for it.
You'll win that game every time.
If you de-condition yourself not to really listen to it? Suddenly life goes on, they are waaay harder to notice, and you think to yourself.
"Damn my mpg improved a smidge, and I have pretty good grip on road, in rain, and in snow? Sweet tire."

Attachments

• RebelSnow2020.jpg
    RebelSnow2020.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 180
  • ToyoAT3Snow2020.jpg
    ToyoAT3Snow2020.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 168
  • ToyoAT3Snow2020Tracks.jpg
    ToyoAT3Snow2020Tracks.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 176
  • SideRebelSnow2020.jpg
    SideRebelSnow2020.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 178

L a r r y

Reaction score

View attachment 71437
View attachment 71438
My apologies to reviving a 2 month old post...I'm loving this look and stance, as I have the same color, but with 20 wheels. Are you currently running stock stance? Or do you have a level/lift on it?

mtbiker033

Reaction score
I just put Toyo Open Country AT/3 on my 2020 Limited (air suspension) today at stock size 285-45-22 and they are really nice, rides just as good or better than the stock goodyears

sorry she's dirty, we just had some winter weather and it was cold af today :D

Attachments

• IMG_20201219_161656.jpg
    IMG_20201219_161656.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_20201219_161433.jpg
    IMG_20201219_161433.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_20201219_153720.jpg
    IMG_20201219_153720.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_20201219_153656.jpg
    IMG_20201219_153656.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_20201219_153700.jpg
    IMG_20201219_153700.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_20201219_153929.jpg
    IMG_20201219_153929.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_20201219_161349.jpg
    IMG_20201219_161349.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 287

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an update after some more snow/winter driving:

So the tires have been good, even in the snow.
In the name of science I was driving around in 4x2 a bit, and TRYING to get fresh with the go pedal to test the traction at its limits when safe to do so. If I used 4x4 and patience I think I would have to drive a TON of miles in bad weather to find the right condition to get them to see some limits.

Reality is, if you want your 400hp Hemi to get your tires to break loose? they'll do it. :LOL:
Here's the neat thing. If the AT3s lose traction because you were using too much go-pedal?
At least in my experience, they would track straight. The rear end of the truck doesn't seem to fish around or move left and right.
The truck breaks traction, it tracks straight, you let up on the gas pedal even a little, and it hooks right up and takes off.
They're very predictable.

I had a set of KO2s on my 2016 Rebel that I loved. IIRC they did tick down my MPGs a bit, highway and around town. SUPPOSEDLY they're good for about 36,000 miles, then noise and poor wet performance kicks in. The sidewalls were a bit mushy when broken in.
And yet I loved them.

I don't really recall them ever losing grip, that soft rubber was excellent, even in the cold.
I think the Toyos have better lateral grip on warm/normal temperature roads due to the tread design - how much rubber is contacting the road. But I think the KO2's rubber was generally more grippy.
Digging into my memory, IIRC if the KO2s lost traction in the slushy stuff, they would fish left and right a little bit - but it was really a rare thing. Thusfar with the Toyo AT3s? It's rare to lose traction, but when you do the truck tracks straight. Again I also think the rubber is less grippy than the KO2s were.

Verdict? They're good. 3PMSF rating for heavy snow does seem to really help.
The Duratracs on the rebel, the KO2s on the old rebel, and the Toyo AT3s - I would run any of them.

If I HAD TO pick one between the AT3s and the KO2s?
Oof. I'm having a hard time deciding.
I honestly wish I could have an AT3 design with the KO2 rubber and sidewall. :LOL:

Attachments

• RamSnow2021.jpg
    RamSnow2021.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 60

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I have no dog in this fight, other than to say I’m running Falken Wildpeak AT3w on my new truck, and honestly have had some slippage in our snowy weather up here in the great Northwest. I ran KO2s on my previous 5th gen without issue for two winters, which includes highways and mountain passes. Might go back but always looking for the best...wondering if Toyo might be a better option, based on what I’ve read.

Users who are viewing this thread