5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New info on Gas tank fueling issue

ckimmel

Reaction score
On my last visit to the dealer I complained about how when filling the gas tank the pump will stop a million times if you try to fill up at the highest speed (or any speed really). They ordered me a new tank and the service advisor told me the order was canceled by RAM. He reordered the tank and that order was canceled too so he called to ask why the order kept getting canceled and he was told they are not fulfilling orders for gas tanks and that they have redesigned the fuel tank. After Jan 22nd he will be able to order the newly designed tank that fixes this issue. I am glad he told me this because I know there are people here with the same issue I have and its part of the 7 yr 70k warranty so most of you that have this issue will get the replacement free of charge.
I just had a dealer replace the fuel neck first for just under $500. Of course that didn't work and now they're ordering a new tank. Was told the fuel neck wasn't covered under any warranty and yet to find out about the tank. We'll see. I had gotten on the mopar site and chatted with them and referred to the service bulletin about the gas tank and they too said it wasn't covered under the emissions warranty.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just had a dealer replace the fuel neck first for just under $500. Of course that didn't work and now they're ordering a new tank. Was told the fuel neck wasn't covered under any warranty and yet to find out about the tank. We'll see. I had gotten on the mopar site and chatted with them and referred to the service bulletin about the gas tank and they too said it wasn't covered under the emissions warranty.
I would think the fuel neck and not filling properly is related to the emissions systems and would be covered. But I haven't read the fine print of the emissions warranty.

ckimmel

Reaction score
I would think the fuel neck and not filling properly is related to the emissions systems and would be covered. But I haven't read the fine print of the emissions warranty.
Tank change fixed the issue. The dealer didn't charge for that service after charging me for the fuel neck. So, that's good, at least. Was nice to be able to fill the truck up again.

W Six

Reaction score
Our truck just started having this issue. I noticed it as we just hit the road towing out TT cross country....with a 26 gal tank that won't shuts the pumps off with room for another 1/8 of a tank, has me seriously regretting buying this truck!

Monsterwalley

Reaction score
I've got a '20 laramie limited with a 33 gallon tank. Had fueling issues a few months after I bought it new. I already knew not to top off from my previous ram. The dealership always seemed "unaware" of any issues or technical bulletins. eventually they finally replaced the filler tube then finally the tank. I haven't had any problems until this morning. It was 40 degrees out and I was completely empty and tried filling. After 20 minutes I had 5 gallons in it and called it good for now. What is common for me is temperature. When it is cold I have issues. It does not matter what gas station, pump angle, depth or how you hold your mouth. It is just when it is cold. Even before they replaced the tank. Anyone else find this in common?

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got a '20 laramie limited with a 33 gallon tank. Had fueling issues a few months after I bought it new. I already knew not to top off from my previous ram. The dealership always seemed "unaware" of any issues or technical bulletins. eventually they finally replaced the filler tube then finally the tank. I haven't had any problems until this morning. It was 40 degrees out and I was completely empty and tried filling. After 20 minutes I had 5 gallons in it and called it good for now. What is common for me is temperature. When it is cold I have issues. It does not matter what gas station, pump angle, depth or how you hold your mouth. It is just when it is cold. Even before they replaced the tank. Anyone else find this in common?
Mine seems fine with any degree of cold thus far and it's been a minute since they replaced my tank.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've only ever had an issue filling my tank once. Figured maybe it was just that pump, but have used that same pump since with no issues. Only thing different was I had just used my emergency funnel to add some fuel additive before pumping. But ha e done that multiple times with no issues as well

Grouper

Reaction score
Gents, sorry for not wanting to dig through 348 prior posts but is there a Reader's Digest version of how to go about addressing this with the dealer? I've had my 2021 Laramie with the 33 gallon tank for just under three years. I've got a couple of months remaining on my bumper-to-bumper warranty (20K miles).

I've had this refueling issue in the past but given that my truck typically stays close to home, I think the severity has been masked by the fact that I nearly always refuel at the same brand station (WaWa).

Today, I had to drive across the state and went to three different gas stations, all of which I was unable to pump fuel. I was thankfully able to locate a WaWa and refuel.

This is obviously a major problem and it needs to be addressed while I still have warranty remaining.

Thanks.

Grouper

Reaction score
Gents, sorry for not wanting to dig through 348 prior posts but is there a Reader's Digest version of how to go about addressing this with the dealer? I've had my 2021 Laramie with the 33 gallon tank for just under three years. I've got a couple of months remaining on my bumper-to-bumper warranty (20K miles).

I've had this refueling issue in the past but given that my truck typically stays close to home, I think the severity has been masked by the fact that I nearly always refuel at the same brand station (WaWa).

Today, I had to drive across the state and went to three different gas stations, all of which I was unable to pump fuel. I was thankfully able to locate a WaWa and refuel.

This is obviously a major problem and it needs to be addressed while I still have warranty remaining.

Thanks.

I have an appointment for next Wed. They are telling me they have no loaners available. This is my only vehicle. I don't see this going well.

Grouper

Reaction score
I have an appointment for next Wed. They are telling me they have no loaners available. This is my only vehicle. I don't see this going well.
I've had to reschedule for a few days later but RamCares has intervened and Ram has agreed to provide reimbursement for a rental.

Thanks to RamCares for stepping up.

sandbagger

Reaction score
I've been leasing and buying Rams for 9 years and this one 2020 Laramie finally started with the problem this week.
After reading this thread it seems I should have new tank and filler installed for approx $1000 and hope the issue doesn't arise again?
When you guys have worked with the dealer does the service write up person acknowledge that it's an issue? Does Ram care do anything for vehicles out of warranty?
Thx for any help

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've been leasing and buying Rams for 9 years and this one 2020 Laramie finally started with the problem this week.
After reading this thread it seems I should have new tank and filler installed for approx $1000 and hope the issue doesn't arise again?
When you guys have worked with the dealer does the service write up person acknowledge that it's an issue? Does Ram care do anything for vehicles out of warranty?
Thx for any help
Nope, they will say you are crazy.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thx for any help
Does it happen at every gas station? Some nozzles are designed differently or may be too short. Also I'd check the charcoal canister and associated evap lines before changing the tank. If any of these are plugged up, the air won't be able to escape while youre fueling.

Grouper

Reaction score
Nope, they will say you are crazy.

I've still got a few months of warranty remaining but when I spoke with the service writer on the phone, he was well aware of the issue. He claimed on the 2021's (mine is a 2021) they typically replace the filler neck or the tank.

It's going in for diagnosis on Monday.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've still got a few months of warranty remaining but when I spoke with the service writer on the phone, he was well aware of the issue. He claimed on the 2021's (mine is a 2021) they typically replace the filler neck or the tank.

It's going in for diagnosis on Monday.
Best of luck for you.
My 2022 had this problem as soon as the drive home from the dealership (1700 miles) and really sucked.
2 dealerships I went to wouldn't even look at it.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Best of luck for you.
My 2022 had this problem as soon as the drive home from the dealership (1700 miles) and really sucked.
2 dealerships I went to wouldn't even look at it.
From some of your other posts, we know your local dealers suck. It's a known issue, and for sure should be fixed while under warranty. Ram should extend the warranty for this, like they did for rear windows.

Av1

Reaction score
I had a minor issue once filling the tank.

It wasn't quite as bad as some have had, but it shut off multiple times during the fill. It was not normal.

It has never had a problem since, so I'm not sure what the deal was.

Grouper

Reaction score
Partial update:

I had my service appointment this morning for my 2021 Laramie with the 33 gallon tank. I already have it back. It was quickly diagnosed as having the faulty check valve (rollover valve?), consistent with the Service Bulletin on this issue. They are ordering a replacement tank. With the strike, they were unable to predict how long it will take to receive the part.

Incidentally, they also updated the door modules, which will hopefully correct the issue of the passenger side-view mirror intermittently remaining aimed down when shifting from Reverse into Drive.

Last edited:

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Partial update:

I had my service appointment this morning for my 2021 Laramie with the 33 gallon tank. I already have it back. It was quickly diagnosed as having the faulty check valve (rollover valve?), consistent with the Serviced Bulletin on this issue. They are ordering a replacement tank. With the strike, they were unable to predict how long it will take to receive the part.

Incidentally, they also updated the door modules, which will hopefully correct the issue of the passenger side-view mirror intermittently remaining aimed down when shifting from Reverse into Drive.
Now that SHAP is on strike, they don't need any tanks there.

Diesel Tonic

Reaction score
Pattern for me has been that as soon as a cold spell hits I start having this issue. I had the entire tank assembly replaced December 2021 and then again December 2022... we had a cold spell here and now it's happening again. I'm out of warranty but since this will be the third repair and it's only been 11 months I'm hoping my dealer will help me out so I'm not bearing the entire cost to replace the whole tank assembly again. Super frustrating and I'm going to have zero confidence a year from now that I won't have the issue yet again. :(

Users who are viewing this thread