5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New info on Gas tank fueling issue

Grouper

Reaction score
I have a 2021 with 33 gallon gas tank. I had the filler neck replaced under warranty about 2 months ago. I still have the problem but it only occurs when it's freezing cold outside. Filled up today with 50 degree weather with no issue. Whatever the deal is, mine is temperature related.
Interesting. I live in central FL and haven't had much issue fueling my 2021 33 gallon tank. But at the end of November 2021, I road tripped to Georgia and the near inability to fuel the truck was maddening.

I assumed there was some difference in the fueling nozzles at Georgia gas stations but it was definitely cooler in GA than is typical where I live and normally refuel in FL.

Is there a TSB for this issue?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got truck today. Now another check engine light and P0154 code comes up. Can't believe they returned the truck to me after all this with a cel. I drove away and pulled the code when I got home. I figured it'll go off and had something to do when they put the new fuel pump in, but interestingly my truck won't go into Eco mode now. If it's truly a lean condition as noted by the code definition, would this prevent eco mode from working?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
Is that the correct code?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Interesting. I live in central FL and haven't had much issue fueling my 2021 33 gallon tank. But at the end of November 2021, I road tripped to Georgia and the near inability to fuel the truck was maddening.

I assumed there was some difference in the fueling nozzles at Georgia gas stations but it was definitely cooler in GA than is typical where I live and normally refuel in FL.

Is there a TSB for this issue?
If this was caused by cold weather, more than half the country wouldn't be able to fuel their trucks for half the year. Not saying the cold isn't making a small problem worse. Just saying the cold isn't the root cause of the problem.

Naturenut

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance but I’m having the same problem with my ram shutting off the pump when filling. I have seen on YouTube that it could be caused by the evap charcoal canister getting clogged? And then I’ve seen it could be the fuel filter? But then I learned my truck (which is a 5th gen 2019 ram 1500 slt) doesn’t have a fuel filter, but apparently has a fuel pump screen? I don’t see how the screen could cause my issue? I can’t seem to find any pictures or videos anywhere to help me see how the system works. Is the screen at the top of the pump right before gas goes into the tank? If so why does it vent out my evap line? I feel like I’m gonna waste a couple grand just to fix this ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance but I’m having the same problem with my ram shutting off the pump when filling. I have seen on YouTube that it could be caused by the evap charcoal canister getting clogged? And then I’ve seen it could be the fuel filter? But then I learned my truck (which is a 5th gen 2019 ram 1500 slt) doesn’t have a fuel filter, but apparently has a fuel pump screen? I don’t see how the screen could cause my issue? I can’t seem to find any pictures or videos anywhere to help me see how the system works. Is the screen at the top of the pump right before gas goes into the tank? If so why does it vent out my evap line? I feel like I’m gonna waste a couple grand just to fix this ugh.

2019's are having an issue that only the dealer can fix.

Naturenut

Reaction score
2019's are having an issue that only the dealer can fix.

What exactly is it though? I’m reading the fuel pumps , filler hose and tanks are being replaced? But if it’s just the pump why replace the tank? I’ve talked to my dealer about this before but he don’t seem to know anything about what’s happening? So I’m hoping I can give him further details to fix it properly. I’ve also got a steering wheel issue that seems like the clocking pin is going, I’m hearing a rubbing when turning and my heated wheel stopped working.

If the issue is just the pump etc why can’t my normal mechanic fix it ? The dealership doesn’t seem to know much about what’s going on.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
What exactly is it though? I’m reading the fuel pumps , filler hose and tanks are being replaced? But if it’s just the pump why replace the tank? I’ve talked to my dealer about this before but he don’t seem to know anything about what’s happening? So I’m hoping I can give him further details to fix it properly. I’ve also got a steering wheel issue that seems like the clocking pin is going, I’m hearing a rubbing when turning and my heated wheel stopped working.

If the issue is just the pump etc why can’t my normal mechanic fix it ? The dealership doesn’t seem to know much about what’s going on.

there was something incorrect with the filler neck and replacing that apparently also requires the tank to be replaced.

some 2020my are also reporting the same issue and a few 2021 and 2022

mine has been ok so far.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine only has the problem with Costco pumps.

Anyone have success paying the difference to get a bigger tank? 23 gallon tank sucks, 26 even would be much better.

Naturenut

Reaction score
Crap my truck is out of warranty so I’ll end up having to pay for this fix.

Naturenut

Reaction score
there was something incorrect with the filler neck and replacing that apparently also requires the tank to be replaced.

some 2020my are also reporting the same issue and a few 2021 and 2022

mine has been ok so far.

Thank you for the reply

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I appear to be having the same problem, or at least the same symptoms on a brand new 22 with a 33 gallon gas tank.
Around 60% of the pumps I use keep shutting off.
Yesterday was so bad I actually broke the pump as I think I tripped some safety feature and it completely stopped allowing gas to come out to each attached nozzle. The guy on the other side made a comment about "guess they are out of gas" because it shut down both sides of the pump while I kept trying to get it to pump (I only put in 2.3 gallons and I was at a half tank [33 gallon tank]).

I have never had a car\truck with this problem to this extent.
I can legit not get gas out of some pumps and pull around and change pumps and it's fine or not as bad. It doesn't matter the position of the pump or the speed or even how long I have been holding it down.
Sometimes it clicks as SOON as I pull the trigger down.

I see a small hole below the circle, is that suppose to be a hole or is a screw support to be in there keeping it at a certain angle? The entire fuel fill area "floats".

So far all the problems I have had I have needed to fix myself as the dealerships for Ram are stupid around here just like Chevy's were so I need to do all the troubleshooting myself, and sometimes even the resolution.

How can I check the tank or neck or whatever is generally the problem, I have never worked with a fuel tank or system before but I can turn a wrench.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I appear to be having the same problem, or at least the same symptoms on a brand new 22 with a 33 gallon gas tank.
Around 60% of the pumps I use keep shutting off.
Yesterday was so bad I actually broke the pump as I think I tripped some safety feature and it completely stopped allowing gas to come out to each attached nozzle. The guy on the other side made a comment about "guess they are out of gas" because it shut down both sides of the pump while I kept trying to get it to pump (I only put in 2.3 gallons and I was at a half tank [33 gallon tank]).

I have never had a car\truck with this problem to this extent.
I can legit not get gas out of some pumps and pull around and change pumps and it's fine or not as bad. It doesn't matter the position of the pump or the speed or even how long I have been holding it down.
Sometimes it clicks as SOON as I pull the trigger down.

I see a small hole below the circle, is that suppose to be a hole or is a screw support to be in there keeping it at a certain angle? The entire fuel fill area "floats".

So far all the problems I have had I have needed to fix myself as the dealerships for Ram are stupid around here just like Chevy's were so I need to do all the troubleshooting myself, and sometimes even the resolution.

How can I check the tank or neck or whatever is generally the problem, I have never worked with a fuel tank or system before but I can turn a wrench.
You cant do it. One of the issues is a sensor inside the tank. Bite the bullet and deal with the idiots at the dealership.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You cant do it. One of the issues is a sensor inside the tank. Bite the bullet and deal with the idiots at the dealership.
A sensor INSIDE the tank is causing the stations PUMP to shut off?

That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Ive already went to 2 dealerships and it was clear they don't know how to work on the ram 1500s for some reason (which really doesn't make sense since it's the only pickup they could even work on as a ram dealership????)

Can't and will not are 2 different things.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Found this video

saying it's a sensor in the tank makes 0 sense unless these are not the nozzles we use in the USA, but it sure looks like it to me.

I'm going to test putting the fuel fill plastic piece in next time I find a trouble pump tomorrow and see if it works fine, that would force the gas to go in the correct spot as it's made for portable fuel tanks to refill (since they can't trigger both seals for the capless design).
If it works using that it provides some insight into what the problem may be and possible solutions without ripping the tank out or letting RAM learn on your truck.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found this video

saying it's a sensor in the tank makes 0 sense unless these are not the nozzles we use in the USA, but it sure looks like it to me.

I'm going to test putting the fuel fill plastic piece in next time I find a trouble pump tomorrow and see if it works fine, that would force the gas to go in the correct spot as it's made for portable fuel tanks to refill (since they can't trigger both seals for the capless design).
If it works using that it provides some insight into what the problem may be and possible solutions without ripping the tank out or letting RAM learn on your truck.
I said its one of the issues not all of the contributing factors into the design flaws causing the fueling problem. You specifically asked asked what you could do so I wanted you to know that most people wont drop the tank and pull the pump assembly. The filler neck is a problem and so is the tank as it was such a problem they did a re-design. There is a sensor inside the tank that apparently also causes issues. If you want to try to deal with it, have at it but I went the same route and nothing worked until it all got replaced. Let us know how it works out for you.

mdschadler

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue with my 2020. Just got back from a 1300 mile trip with the camper. Had to stop every 2 hours since I was operating with only 3/4 of the tiny 23 gallon tank. My biggest fill was 17 gallons… at least I got to get out and stretch a lot along the way. I had though it was a clogged EVAP but sounds like it’s a tank issue. Ha, I’ll try the upsize idea and see what happens!

Users who are viewing this thread