5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New info on Gas tank fueling issue

SpikeMike

Reaction score
I'm having this problem now too. Started a while back. At first, it wasn't too bad. Now it's gotten terrible. I can't even get a 1/4 gallon in before it clicks. This is not just a pump spout position or rate of flow thing. I have tried all sorts of combinations of positions and flow rates.

I finally took it into the dealership. It's there now and I'm waiting to hear the prognosis. I will let the service advisor know about the new tank design.
Update: Dealer advisor says the new design is on the filler neck. For now, they are replacing the neck and the tank. Supposed to be done tomorrow.

SpikeMike

Reaction score
Just an update. Since replacing the tank and the filler neck, I haven't had a problem at all with filling the gas tank.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an update. Since replacing the tank and the filler neck, I haven't had a problem at all with filling the gas tank.
They are waiting for the parts to replace mine and I cant wait to get it resolved.

UnclJim

Reaction score
My Durango doesnt like to fill the nozzle from the left side it keeps shutting off. I have to drag the nozzel from the passanger side over and fills up fine. that slight angle change seems to let the gas flow just right.

SkeeterJackson

Reaction score
I just contacted 4 dealers about this issue. I am in a rural area and there is one dealer about 30 minutes away. The rest are about an hour to 1.5 hours. 3 of the 4 dealers were not helpful at all and actually pretty rude, including the place where I purchased the truck. They basically said 'it aint getting replaced until the new filler neck is in stock. Also, you don't get a curtesy car because they are all in use until the end of February." Luckily, at a dealer about an hour away the service manager was super helpful. He said send over the VIN and we will get you a tank and filler neck ordered right away.

I have the 23 gallon tank currently and asked him if there is any way to get the 33 gal replaced instead. I told him I'd pay the difference in cost and labor and if you have to put a 10-15% premium on top do it, if it is going to get the deal done. I probably lost some leverage there, but I am ok with it if I end up with a 33 gal tank that I can actually put gas into. Just goes to show you that the right dealer goes a long way! I dont know how this will all shake out yet, but I'm happy just because he was a nice guy about it.

PLEASE READ: This service manager said he currently has a truck on the lot that wont accept gas at all. It has been sitting for a few weeks waiting to get a tank and filler neck to come in. FOR ANYONE THAT HAS THIS ISSUE, GET TO A DEALER AND GET IT RESOLVED ASAP! No one wants to be stranded at a gas station because you can't get fuel in your truck, especially in the winter.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
**********Update********
My Tank & filler neck were replaced on Monday and I filled the tank at full speed today with no issues! I hope its fixed for good now.

moparleo51

Reaction score
took mine in for the same issue, they said they have had a few already and just went ahead and ordered me a new tank. will see.

bskubon

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this problem is just random or should everyone expect it to happen? I have a 2020 Limited with the 26 gal tank. Only have like 6k miles and only a couple times nozzle clicked, just backed out a bit and worked. Seems if they redesigned the tank and filler tube that it should be on every vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 20k miles on my 2021 and have had 0 problems with the gas tank.
I really have no understanding of what happened over time to cause this. My truck was at about 20k miles when it started clicking off maybe three times per fill up. As time went on it started clicking off more and more per fill up until it got to the point where it did not matter how fast or slow you tried to fill up it clicked off every few gallons. No pulling the nozzle out, changing the angle or speed of the fuel flow changed the result. When it got that bad I could hear a sound similar to how it sounds when your tank is almost full and you hear that sound of the fuel almost full. But it wasn't full, and clicked off even though my tank was not even 1/8th full. You wait a few seconds and start filling again, and then again you hear the same almost full tank sound and off clicks the nozzle. While I waited for the parts to come in it got to the point where it clicked off about every gallon. Now with the new neck & tank fuel runs full speed as fast as possibly can and no weird its almost full sounds until its really full and all's well.

jzinckgra

Reaction score
Got the fuel filler and tank replaced. All good except fuel gauge reads empty. Need to schedule another appointment but sounds like mechanic forgot to plug in fuel gauge wire connector. Is this on outside of tank and something I can do?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Amazing93

Reaction score
I filled up at costco last week. When the nozzle clicked off I pulled it out and a stream of fuel like the old faithful geyser shot from my filler neck 4 feet in the air. It was insane.

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 22 doesn't click and shut off randomly when filling up. Did on previous years, and it was REALLY REALLY bad on a 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Must be some revision/fix on newer model years.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the fuel filler and tank replaced. All good except fuel gauge reads empty. Need to schedule another appointment but sounds like mechanic forgot to plug in fuel gauge wire connector. Is this on outside of tank and something I can do?

Technician has to be a real idiot to not realize something was wrong if the tank is reading empty after he replace the fuel tank.

jzinckgra

Reaction score
Technician has to be a real idiot to not realize something was wrong if the tank is reading empty after he replace the fuel tank.
You have no idea the crap I've gone through to get this done. Started off great but spiraled down fast.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So true, not sure how you drop a tank and install it without checking the guage

jzinckgra

Reaction score
So true, not sure how you drop a tank and install it without checking the guage
That's what I said. I mean cmon. How hard is it. Now I need to go back a 3rd time to have them get this right

jzinckgra

Reaction score
Is there a fuel gauge reset option where on the older gens you'd push in the odometer button and hold down while ignition is turned to on? What else would cause the gauge to report empty after just getting new tank installed? Doesn't the sender unit wire exit the tank somewhere? The only wire I see is near the fuel fill tube

Users who are viewing this thread