5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New info on Gas tank fueling issue

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there a tsb for this?

Did you guys that got it done under warranty also get a new pump? Or just tank and fill tube?

mdschadler

Reaction score
They are replacing my tank and filler tube as well, under warranty, due to “obstruction”. No luck on upsizing the tank. I think maybe because it would change the payload making the load sticker inaccurate. The tank is 3 days out, hopefully that holds true.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I need mine replaced but I don't want them touching my truck as I haven't found a local good dealership yet.
I find that only allowing 50% of gas to go in (holding the trigger the entire time) it flows fine.

There is something in the wrong spot at the fill neck causing the pump to flood and turn off.

Using the funnel thingy under the passenger seat would allow full throttle.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I need mine replaced but I don't want them touching my truck as I haven't found a local good dealership yet.
I find that only allowing 50% of gas to go in (holding the trigger the entire time) it flows fine.

There is something in the wrong spot at the fill neck causing the pump to flood and turn off.

Using the funnel thingy under the passenger seat would allow full throttle.
Replacing the tank and filler neck isn't rocket science so even a dealership full of stooges couldn't screw it up.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Replacing the tank and filler neck isn't rocket science so even a dealership full of stooges couldn't screw it up.
Lol.
I had a dealership hit my front AND rear bumpers getting snow tires put on a 2012 Camaro.
First oil change on a 2018 Silverado and a different dealership put in the wrong oil (yes it says what oil to use on the cap)

When my MFT tailgate needed to be adjusted the senior tech at the ram dealership said he has never worked on a truck like mine (a 2022 1500 limited lol)

Just because a job is simple doesn't mean the dealership can't massively screw things up and leave you were off then before.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol.
I had a dealership hit my front AND rear bumpers getting snow tires put on a 2012 Camaro.
First oil change on a 2018 Silverado and a different dealership put in the wrong oil (yes it says what oil to use on the cap)

When my MFT tailgate needed to be adjusted the senior tech at the ram dealership said he has never worked on a truck like mine (a 2022 1500 limited lol)

Just because a job is simple doesn't mean the dealership can't massively screw things up and leave you were off then before.
I know dealers can mess things up. I guess I'm lucky to have a competent dealer near me.

mdschadler

Reaction score
I picked my truck up today and crawled under to see the new tank. Glad I did, this line is clearly not run correctly and is not secured. It also looks like they couldn’t fit the heat shield on right since the fuel line was in the way so they didn’t put the third fastener in. Taking it back tonight E804ECCC-10F0-4B73-94A3-7A237BE71CBA.jpeg

Attachments

• 486486B3-D9D0-41E1-A6F4-B6C5C31D1791.jpeg
    486486B3-D9D0-41E1-A6F4-B6C5C31D1791.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 90739A2F-9CAA-42A6-8E5A-302C4DB08A7C.jpeg
    90739A2F-9CAA-42A6-8E5A-302C4DB08A7C.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 7CE70AD0-FC98-4940-A8F9-B490309A8BD5.jpeg
    7CE70AD0-FC98-4940-A8F9-B490309A8BD5.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 105A133D-1248-4E3C-A047-7E0E3508B26B.jpeg
    105A133D-1248-4E3C-A047-7E0E3508B26B.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 67

mdschadler

Reaction score
I crawled under two other trucks while dropping mine off. The heat shield is supposed to be under the tank strap too. I’m guessing they reinstalled the tank, then connected the house (around the outside of the tank strap, then put the shield on before the skid plate. No wonder holes didn’t line up. Sad and I guess proof You guys were right. 1EA26C00-4979-4F52-B048-6B7D5DDAAF0B.jpeg

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I picked my truck up today and crawled under to see the new tank. Glad I did, this line is clearly not run correctly and is not secured. It also looks like they couldn’t fit the heat shield on right since the fuel line was in the way so they didn’t put the third fastener in. Taking it back tonight
I crawled under two other trucks while dropping mine off. The heat shield is supposed to be under the tank strap too. I’m guessing they reinstalled the tank, then connected the house (around the outside of the tank strap, then put the shield on before the skid plate. No wonder holes didn’t line up. Sad and I guess proof You guys were right.
That sucks.
Stuff like that is the reason I am not getting mine replaced as long as I can just take 50% longer per fill up (so it doesn't keep clicking).

Hopefully they didn't half a$$ it this time once you took it back or did something spiteful.

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
My 2021 1500 apparently has the Fueling issue. I only have 8k miles on it and took it by to be serviced today and had to schedule an appt to go back on Aug 8 to get the issue addressed.

What a pain!

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2021 1500 apparently has the Fueling issue. I only have 8k miles on it and took it by to be serviced today and had to schedule an appt to go back on Aug 8 to get the issue addressed.

What a pain!
Explain the pain? You went in to get an oil change then asked them to check your fueling concern?

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
Here it is: The last time I fueled up (about two weeks ago), the pump kept shutting off after about 3 gallons. Now, keep in mind that I have a 33 gallon tank. I switched pumps and had the same thing happen. Except the pump shut off after about 10 seconds or so. I fuel up at my local grocery store which gives a discount if you buy groceries there. I think my discount was about 60 cents or so. I went inside the gas station to ask them about any issues with the pump and how I could get my discount. They had me prepay for my gas and go out and pump. It took me about 15 minutes to pump a full tank. Then my check engine light came on last Friday and my wife offered to run by the place I have it serviced to see what the codes my truck computer was throwing were. They are attached...but apparently the tech who read the codes said my truck was fine, just erroring out because of some evaporation in the gas tank. I have to take it back to get the issue addressed. And I'm sure they will have to order any replacement part as well, which will take a while.

Then my wife (the wonderful person that she is) called me and asked if I wanted her to fill up my gas tank. I asked her to and let her know there was the issue with fueling it up. She had the same experience as me... the pump kept shutting off when fueling. It took her a long time to fill it up.

So I searched this site to see if anyone else has had this issue with their truck and here I am. The service tech acted like this was a rare occurrence. I'm not sure if this is rare or not, but it doesn't sound like it.

To add to it, it has been extremely hot here in Denver recently and I don't drive my truck all that often. Those may be factors in this case.

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
As you can see from this and several other threads here it is not a rare occurrence.
Yeah Silver, I was surprised when I heard that the Service tech implied that it was a rare occurrence. I had even called them to make sure they weren't busy before my truck went in and the person I spoke to said sometimes the Check Engine Light is triggered by a fuel evap issue. Fyi, my truck went into a Ram dealership for service.

I read through most of this post and have seen a few comments about how you can just fuel up differently and that several other models of cars have this issue. Well, I don't believe that they experience the same issue. This is not something that is happening when just fueling fast, it happens at any speed.

Obviously this is a common occurrence.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Step into a dealership service department and see some of the work that technicians perform. I’ve been a technician for 16 years at a dealer, i’ve seen techs **** up **** that a five-year-old could do with their eyes closed with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread