5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need to purchase lifetime warranty

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In all states? My dealer said it is only powertrain in WI.
Yes. The vehicle must meet emissions for that time period.
You can also find it in the manual or the warranty supplement, I don't recall exactly where I found it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

bakchr

Reaction score
We were offered several warranty packages when we bought our truck last week, but I didn't take any of them due to our previous experience with FCA. (They were all from a 3rd party called Fortegra) In 2008 we bought a Lifetime (unlimited years and miles) Max Care plan from Chrysler. I figure they will always find a way to worm out of it eventually, too hard to follow all the stipulations. We followed all of the maintenance schedule items in the owners manual as stipulated, all work done at the dealer we purchased from. FCA came along and canceled the policies without any communication last year. The dealer said they had 15 customers that week that found out the same when they came in for what they expected to be warranty work. Apparently the plan was a rider on the Lifetime PowerTrain warranty they included at the time. That also just required you to do maintenance as outlined in owners guide. However, burried in the middle of the owners guide was 2 sentences about having to bring in your vehicle every 5 years for a complimentary powertrain inspection. It doesn't come up in the dealers system, so everytime we asked to do everything that was required they were never prompted to let us know about that "free inspection". That is just what the dealer was told when they asked why the policy was canceled. I have written several letters and emails to Customer Care over the past year, and never received any response.

itsrname2

Reaction score
We were offered several warranty packages when we bought our truck last week, but I didn't take any of them due to our previous experience with FCA. (They were all from a 3rd party called Fortegra) In 2008 we bought a Lifetime (unlimited years and miles) Max Care plan from Chrysler. I figure they will always find a way to worm out of it eventually, too hard to follow all the stipulations. We followed all of the maintenance schedule items in the owners manual as stipulated, all work done at the dealer we purchased from. FCA came along and canceled the policies without any communication last year. The dealer said they had 15 customers that week that found out the same when they came in for what they expected to be warranty work. Apparently the plan was a rider on the Lifetime PowerTrain warranty they included at the time. That also just required you to do maintenance as outlined in owners guide. However, burried in the middle of the owners guide was 2 sentences about having to bring in your vehicle every 5 years for a complimentary powertrain inspection. It doesn't come up in the dealers system, so everytime we asked to do everything that was required they were never prompted to let us know about that "free inspection". That is just what the dealer was told when they asked why the policy was canceled. I have written several letters and emails to Customer Care over the past year, and never received any response.
Oh wow, thank you for this information!

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Lifetime Powertrain Warranty is not the same as the Lifetime MaxCare service contract.

The warranty had the 5-year inspection requirement, the service contract does not.

29B4D1E8-FDCC-4328-9D47-64C25A5FE6D9.jpeg
B3132DBE-2209-4D6A-A3F5-32A6CC769837.jpeg

FB14672C-FB46-44E4-865A-60CC193DEE9E.png

bakchr

Reaction score
Lifetime Powertrain Warranty is not the same as the Lifetime MaxCare service contract.

The warranty had the 5-year inspection requirement, the service contract does not.

View attachment 85773
View attachment 85774

View attachment 85775
Yes that is correct. However, the language in the Max Care contract left enough wiggle room that their lawyers felt that the two products work hand in hand, so if you didn't comply with one they could cancel both. I don't agree, and stated so in my unanswered letters. There is nothing in the Max Care contract that mentions the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty specifically, just that you need to maintain the vehicle according to the maintenance schedule in the OG. And there is nothing in the maintenance schedule that mentions the 5 year "free inspections". You really need to read the whole guide to find that burried in the middle. Interesting that if that is their argument, they could have made that after we missed that 1st 5 year inspection. Instead this didn't happen until 12+ years later, after FCA came into the picture.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes that is correct. However, the language in the Max Care contract left enough wiggle room that their lawyers felt that the two products work hand in hand, so if you didn't comply with one they could cancel both. I don't agree, and stated so in my unanswered letters. There is nothing in the Max Care contract that mentions the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty specifically, just that you need to maintain the vehicle according to the maintenance schedule in the OG. And there is nothing in the maintenance schedule that mentions the 5 year "free inspections". You really need to read the whole guide to find that burried in the middle. Interesting that if that is their argument, they could have made that after we missed that 1st 5 year inspection. Instead this didn't happen until 12+ years later, after FCA came into the picture.

You are confused. One is a warranty, one is a service contract. They are two completely different coverage plans, they are not related at all.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
So you have both a paid Lifetime Max Care and a Free Lifetime Power Train Warranty and both policies were cancelled?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only way a Lifetime MaxCare service contract can be canceled is if they pay out NADA retail value because the repairs exceed book value.

Or you can forfeit it for their current promotion of $2,500 cash or $3,000 rebate

ED4A7023-50DF-4855-B837-885ADAAC6CA7.png

bakchr

Reaction score
You are confused. One is a warranty, one is a service contract. They are two completely different coverage plans, they are not related at all.
I am not confused, I agree. I am simply repeating the facts as related to our dealer by FCA as to why they canceled them both.

The service contract has language in it that states it does not cover anything that would otherwise be covered by manufacturer or other warranty.

Last edited:

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am not confused, I agree. I am simply repeating the facts as related to our dealer by FCA as to why they canceled them both.

The service contract has language in it that states it does not cover anything that would otherwise be covered by manufacturer or other warranty.

How did you get both? Warranty was only offered from roughly 2007-09 and the service contract started in 2011 or so.

Yes here in the language

0BEE3DE0-24AA-4133-8C03-E23E865280E8.png
0E80EC8F-F9C7-4C77-8764-B71CBB87C7FC.png

bakchr

Reaction score
How did you get both? Warranty was only offered from roughly 2007-09 and the service contract started in 2011 or so.

Yes here in the language

View attachment 85809
View attachment 85810
you are quoting language that mentions FIAT, they were not even in the picture when we purchased the plan in 2008 from Chrysler, as I had mentioned. At the time Chrysler had a Lifetime Powertrain warranty, and we purchased the Lifetime Max Care service contract. Again, I agree that I don't believe that they should be allowed to cancel them, but I don't have time to fight with them anymore, so I guess they win this one.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What bakchr is reporting doesn't sound like good customer relations in any event. I can't comment on the technicalities or legalities however one wouldn't think that both would be cancelled at the same time.
"FCA came along and canceled the policies without any communication last year. The dealer said they had 15 customers that week that found out the same when they came in for what they expected to be warranty work." (Bolding is mine.)

What's their reason? Why no record of an attempt to contact the customer?

Users who are viewing this thread