5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Navigation sucks

Oldphart

Reaction score
Would there be any difference between the "factory" navigation and the one provided by Sirius/XM?

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I discovered something pretty cool that I didn’t try before. Onx maps on my 12” screen.

162D5D3E-385A-4264-B251-906747F1E34F.jpeg
Not any good for actual navigation on roads but I sure like it for driving around exploring public hunting land boundaries.

lost demon

Reaction score
I suspect that the maps in your truck are outdated. Did this interchange look new-ish?

If you had a 2022, I’d point you to a way to update your maps for free. But I don’t know how it would be done with UC4.

That said, I use Waze. Factory nav sucks, regardless of make/model.
The whole reason to have the 12" UConnect 4 was for navigation. Mine was useless the day I drove it off the lot>2019 Rebel. I just ask SIRI on my phone and plug in car play. it transfers right to screen. It never recognizes any address I put in, but will show it on the gosh dam map when I get there. Bad technology or poor I.T. department. Could have saved some money on that option. Maybe if the dam company would quit changing hands they could straighten **** out.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The whole reason to have the 12" UConnect 4 was for navigation. Mine was useless the day I drove it off the lot>2019 Rebel. I just ask SIRI on my phone and plug in car play. it transfers right to screen. It never recognizes any address I put in, but will show it on the gosh dam map when I get there. Bad technology or poor I.T. department. Could have saved some money on that option. Maybe if the dam company would quit changing hands they could straighten **** out.
They don't even use that manufacturer anymore for maps, your comment of changing hands just doesn't make sense.
The 2022s+ use tomtom with free map updates.

Have you ever used nav in any other manufacturer? They all suck.

lost demon

Reaction score
They don't even use that manufacturer anymore for maps, your comment of changing hands just doesn't make sense.

Before they started putting nav in vehicles I used ride alongs that plugged into the lighter port . Garmin,Nuvi,and TomTom. TomTom worked the best. MY wifes Buick nav system is a waste of time. I had a Ford Edge with nav, I don't remember what system but it was great. So apparently it depends on the system the mfg uses. As far as changing hands, whenever there a turnover in ownership the new group will look for ways to please their investors. this means finding parts and products and technology at the best price to produce a sellable product A N D make money. They'll figure out the bugs later while your vehicle is in the shop waiting to get fixed.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You could have gotten Nav on the 8.4 without paying fmthe premium for the 12" display.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If UC5 uses TomTom, what does my UC4 use? Just curious. I barely use mine. Using Google maps is way faster plotting my destination.

cliffsta

Reaction score

Not to derail this thread, but how do I update my TomTom maps? Is it buried in navigation settings or only something the dealer can do? Love to hear that they’re free.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not to derail this thread, but how do I update my TomTom maps? Is it buried in navigation settings or only something the dealer can do? Love to hear that they’re free.
Here ya go

Download the maps for your region (North America)
There are 9 download links and around 16GB.
Put it on an SD card formatted as NTFS, insert it into your truck and turn it on, should say it will update the maps.
Takes around 45 minutes, you can drive while it's doing it but the radio is not completely functional during that time.

Edit: USB stick not SD card.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The newest $400,000 Ferrari no longer offers factory navigation, not even as an option.

They didn't even bother to do it, knowing the majority of people will just use their phones in Android Auto/Apple Carplay.

However, it should be noted, in testing of this car up in the mountains roads, some of the journalist did lose navigation due to their cell phone reception. So as much as I hate the factory NAV, there is clearly a place for it in low reception situations.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The newest $400,000 Ferrari no longer offers factory navigation, not even as an option.

They didn't even bother to do it, knowing the majority of people will just use their phones in Android Auto/Apple Carplay.

However, it should be noted, in testing of this car up in the mountains roads, some of the journalist did lose navigation due to their cell phone reception. So as much as I hate the factory NAV, there is clearly a place for it in low reception situations.
Or if your phone sucks.
My Samsung Note 3 would reboot randomly (great phone besides that, I even had a 10k MAH battery in it).
Image driving through Boston or any major city and your GPS dying on you for a few minutes....

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

That's where you download the offline maps if going some place that might have spotty reception. You don't need the cell service for GPS to work you only need it for the maps to download to phone

cliffsta

Reaction score
Here ya go

Download the maps for your region (North America)
There are 9 download links and around 16GB.
Put it on an SD card formatted as NTFS, insert it into your truck and turn it on, should say it will update the maps.
Takes around 45 minutes, you can drive while it's doing it but the radio is not completely functional during that time.
Where is there an SD slot in my truck? All I’ve seen are USB ports.

mtnbikej

Reaction score
Navigation isn't that bad......

s-l1600.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread