5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Navigation sucks

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is that sarcasm? Or are you being serious?
I'm serious. That's a large display. But this is coming from years of using Magellan dash mint GPS units that are half the size of what comes up on 12" display, or my phone.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check my last post.
My problem is using split screen. Using it all for nav is fine, but not split.
I'm gonna take a guess that you're near sighted? I'm lucky that I'm far sighted and can read everything off the split screen. I do use reading glasses.

But from your measurements, the split screen still gives you a 7.5" diagonal screen for Google maps. I'm not sure if my UC4 is the same. It looks like your UC5 is slightly different.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm gonna take a guess that you're near sighted? I'm lucky that I'm far sighted and can read everything off the split screen. I do use reading glasses.

But from your measurements, the split screen still gives you a 7.5" diagonal screen for Google maps. I'm not sure if my UC4 is the same. It looks like your UC5 is slightly different.
I can see fine. Anything 15 feet away starts to get blurry for text. The problem isn't being able to read things on the screen. This thread was about nav.
My nav in split screen only has 2.2 inches of vertical map while driving. You can't fit very far in front of you accurately with 2.2 inches.

I never use Google maps.
The split screen for Google maps is fine.
I only did it and took a picture for comparison.

The split screen for the built in nav is not very good.
The top bar for your next turn or exit NEVER fades away or shrinks so it's wasted space.

If UC4 is different I wouldn't know.
I do know that Android Auto is only split screen, and Car Play is full screen on the UC5, maybe that is what you are referring to?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is UC4 Android Auto with Google maps
PXL_20230128_012639598.jpg

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What tiny screen? When connected to your truck in Android Auto it should be full size like the factory NAV. There shouldn't be any stuff in the way, maybe you have and older phone or the setup needs to be adjusted?
For me Android auto is not full screen even with the latest android system and updates. Are you speaking from experience or rumor.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If y'all like google or waze that ij just fantastic. If you hate factory nav, good for you. All I said was I use it all the time and it works great for me. Get off your Karen wagon.✌️

Last edited:

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If y'all like google or waze that ij just fantastic. If you hate factory nav, good for you. All I said was I use it all the time and it works great for me. Get off your Karen wagon.
I have full screen Waze. A full 13.6 inches of it. Well maybe 12 with the bottom bar for the controls. I have the Phoenix Automotive screen.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What about factory nav split screen with a destination set?
I don't think UC4 can display the factory Nav in split screen. Besides the full screen, you can have the factory Nav in a very small window when you're listening to FM/AM radio. At least that's my experience with my UC4.

I didn't know you can display CarPlay in full screen with UC5. That's cool, but I'm only Android and never used iOS ever and don't think I'll ever will.

Neil McCauley

Reaction score
I probably know the answer to this but is there a way to 100% mirror your phone's screen to the uconnect screen? Same as hooking a laptop up to a TV with an HDMI cable?

That's the only way I would use the vehicle screen as a single navigation method. Phones are just too good at auto-filling addresses, choosing and recalculating routes, showing traffic, speed traps, businesses, etc. I don't like Android Auto because of all the restrictions it puts on using phone while driving, which seems good for safety, but even the passenger can't use the phone for things like searching addresses and playing videos if the vehicle is moving.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I probably know the answer to this but is there a way to 100% mirror your phone's screen to the uconnect screen? Same as hooking a laptop up to a TV with an HDMI cable?

That's the only way I would use the vehicle screen as a single navigation method. Phones are just too good at auto-filling addresses, choosing and recalculating routes, showing traffic, speed traps, businesses, etc. I don't like Android Auto because of all the restrictions it puts on using phone while driving, which seems good for safety, but even the passenger can't use the phone for things like searching addresses and playing videos if the vehicle is moving.
No, not on Uconnect.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't think UC4 can display the factory Nav in split screen. Besides the full screen, you can have the factory Nav in a very small window when you're listening to FM/AM radio. At least that's my experience with my UC4.

I didn't know you can display CarPlay in full screen with UC5. That's cool, but I'm only Android and never used iOS ever and don't think I'll ever will.
I have an android device hardwired that uses Carplay to connect. I never did I was using ios.

Kind of but not exactly.
There are devices you can buy that connect via USB and you can connect with them to mirror your screen, but only some apps. Think simular to casting to a TV.
You could get a dedicated device to use Google maps woth though. Think Amazon fire stick, but for uc5.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why should I spend a bunch of money and time to use something that works FOR ME. Sorry that none of yawls navs don't work. Bummer.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

That's why you put in the address and start navigation on the phone before you connect to the truck

SD Rebel

Reaction score
WHAT? Your telling me it should be full screen and you don't have a 12"? Chill dude🤣

Calm down there cowboy, don't be so sensitive. So many dainty flowers around here getting upset about Navigation in their truck.

It's all relative, if it looks great on my 8.4" it should look great on your 12", unless there is something wrong with the setup. In the end, we are all just trying the help.

Users who are viewing this thread