5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Navigation sucks

jljbtm

Reaction score
If I use waze I get such a tiny map on my big screen so wheres the value?

cleandirt

Reaction score
The truck’s navigation is bad, but I also seem to have problems with apple carplay dropping my phones connection. Does anyone else run into that while using their phone’s gps? My phone is a 2016 iPhone SE so maybe the older phone is the issue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I really like the nav on these trucks.
Better then my old GM which never got map updates.

It's not perfect, and Google maps will always be better due to it's nature of always online but the nav on these trucks are by no means "bad".
Also only 2022s get free updates, UC4 needs to buy the map updates.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The trip to the center of the earth that my factory NAV sent me would beg to differ on how garbage the factory NAV is.

But it's probably a case for case basis on how well it works, especially dependent on where you live and how well that area is mapped. I would venture to guess it actually works well for some people.

But at least in my area, the factory NAV is truly the biggest pile of dung I ever used. I rather guess or use the alignment of the night stars like sailors of yore before I ever fire up the OEM NAV again.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use the factory nav all the time and have never had a problem. Hate google on that ity-bity screen that I cant see for $h!t and telling me to turn when I get to the turn. I'll stick with the factory nav.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I use the factory nav all the time and have never had a problem. Hate google on that ity-bity screen that I cant see for $h!t and telling me to turn when I get to the turn. I'll stick with the factory nav.
In theory Google maps should work simular. If you're using carplay I thought it used the trucks gps and not your phones?

One thing I wish we could split screen side to side apps. Having the GPS on the top or bottom sucks beuacse they don't minimize the menus and stuff, so you can't see really far. On Google maps given the same physical screen space it shows you way more because all the route stuff like fakes away.

Having the entire screen nav is also a waste imo.

I havnt tried it but I have one of those Android devices that transmit via carplay, so I can use full screen android which in turn has Google maps. The built in nav works good enough that I just havnt tried despite having the device there and setup.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In theory Google maps should work simular. If you're using carplay I thought it used the trucks gps and not your phones?

One thing I wish we could split screen side to side apps. Having the GPS on the top or bottom sucks beuacse they don't minimize the menus and stuff, so you can't see really far. On Google maps given the same physical screen space it shows you way more because all the route stuff like fakes away.

Having the entire screen nav is also a waste imo.

I havnt tried it but I have one of those Android devices that transmit via carplay, so I can use full screen android which in turn has Google maps. The built in nav works good enough that I just havnt tried despite having the device there and setup.
I'm Android, and with the info in the way, the viewing area is like a postage stamp. I don't have any trouble finding destinations, and my eyes are too old and too tired to deal with it. Big screen all the way. It shows me the exits with whatlane to be in and upcoming turns well before I get to them. When towing in traffic I need all the extra time I can get with all the drivers that try and block lane changes.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

What tiny screen? When connected to your truck in Android Auto it should be full size like the factory NAV. There shouldn't be any stuff in the way, maybe you have and older phone or the setup needs to be adjusted?

beetlespin

Reaction score
Google maps sent me in a 5 mile circle once.

Good thing my wife was with me, I'd still be going round and round.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you guys complaining half the 12" screen for Google maps navigation is too small?? :ROFLMAO:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are you guys complaining half the 12" screen for Google maps navigation is too small?? :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, I don't understand how they say half of the 12" display is too small.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ok so I grabbed my tape measure and went to work.

The 12 inch screen (vertical) is actually. 6.5x10 inches (widextall)

The built in nav is 5.5x8.5
The built in nav split screen is 6.5x2.2

Carplay for iphones (uses the full screen) is 6.5x8.25

Android auto can only use half the screen, that is 6.5x3.75

Since Android Auto can only use half the screen, it's height is only 3.75 inches. My cell phone's screen is over 6 inches tell, hell my phones width is just over 3 inches and I always hold it in my hand closer then my radio is.
The problem is even worse with the built in nav, as it's only 2.2 inches tall when navigating so you basically can't see much in front of you.

So the built in nav uses half the screen via a card, but it's only 2.2 inches tall out of the 10 inch screen, that is not "half the screen", thats 22% of the screen at least vertically which is what matters when you are driving, you aren't looking 5 miles to the left of you for your next turn, you are looking along your route.

Here are some pictures for reference.
Built in nav
I wasn't able to turn the map in split screen with the built in nav, but it's pretty clear how small the usable screen size is vertically.
2023-01-27 17.47.25.jpg 2023-01-27 17.48.08.jpg
Android device connected via Carplay, forced into a card to match native android auto.
2023-01-27 17.44.15.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread