5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Navigation App Crashing

Dsmith333

Reaction score
I'll add another data point here. The navigation app was rebooting every 7 minutes or so and displaying the navigation screen once it came back, making me keep having to press the home or media screen to get back to the way I wanted it.

This happened after it did an update on it's own over wifi, which seemed to complete with the engine off.

My fix that's worked so far was to delete the 2nd profile. It hasn't rebooted since.

Cyrnath30

Reaction score
H
My navigation app (which I never use) is causing havoc. I'm stuck in an endless loop. I get a screen that says TomTom Map Loading, then the map screen shows, then it crashes and goes back to my home screen. This loop takes about 40 seconds and never ends. It is so distracting while I'm driving that I have to turn off my screen. Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried rebooting the system at least a dozen times. I've tried disconnecting my phone. I spoke with someone at UConnect care today, and they had to elevate it. I'm supposed to get a call in the next two days, but I'm going to be on the road a ton this week. I'd much rather try a few more things on my own than be in the truck all day with the apps flashing back and forth.
Hey. I have the same problem with my new 2023 ram. Since 1 month. I went to dodge and they said I have to wait the new update in October. Nothing until here. What can we do??

23RAM

Reaction score
Hey. I have the same problem with my new 2023 ram. Since 1 month. I went to dodge and they said I have to wait the new update in October. Nothing until here. What can we do??
TLDR = too lazy?

dnice_1980

Reaction score
Just purchased a new 2023 a couple days ago and mine is doing same thing. Every 7 minutes just like you said
Same here, purchased a week ago and the Tom Tom just takes over screen then crashes. I'm totally pissed that this is happening to a brand new truck

Reaction score
Hi TexMarQue,

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you, but glad this is back on track after a reset! If anything pops back up, please let us know and we're happy to escalate this further.

Steph
Ram Cares
Mine. Same problem now. Seriously. What’s the problem with this stuff always happening

Reaction score
So I did a factory reset, and it seems to have fixed it. Only been in the truck for about 10 minutes (resetting all my settings) but it hasn’t crashed again.

I was not trying to use the navigation system at all. The map is always running in the background. It just happened to be the TomTom app kept crashing.

I’ll report back if it starts acting up again. Thank you all for your help!
Any updates yet?

tm1788

Reaction score
OK guys, I hope this helps. I had the same problem on my brand new 2023 Limited since I picked it up last week. Did factory reset and didn’t work. Uconnect helpline added some additional steps to my reset, and it worked! They said this has been happening and that they haven’t had anybody come back after following the steps.

I will post the email below.

Note the extra step of only having one profile. Also, they told me over the phone (which isn’t listed in the email), to leave my truck on for 15 minutes during reset. Then turned it off, when I turned it back on it worked. I did not have to do the second option of installing new maps.

Hope this helps with some of your heartaches. It helped me.

Step 1- Delete all the profiles, except driver 1.

Step 2- Perform Radio Factory Reset: Go to Apps--> Settings-->Reset-->Factory Reset.

If you have done this step and have found no result that helped the functionality of the navigation system; you may try these remaining steps as well.

Try and use this link:

To download the latest maps go to the link above and with a usb flash drive do the following:

1. Format the USB: Right Click on USB drive-->>Format-->>File system--->>FAT32 or NTFS-->>Start.

2. Copy the Map files to the USB stick.

3. Insert the USB stick to the USB port in the Vehicle. Once after USB is detected pop-up should occur saying "Do you want to update your system with new navigation content" then select start>>OK

4. It will take 30-40minutes to complete the update process

Once this is done the maps should be updated.

Any updates yet?

I got my truck about a week and a half ago and it had this issue. I sent the service dept this thread and they stated that there was an update for the UConnect available and they wanted to install that first. After about 0.5 day at the dealer, they stated everything seemed to be fine.

Sure enough, after about a day or two, the issue came back up again. I informed the dealer that I would be updating the maps because it seems like it's a map issue, not a UConnect issue (all other parts of UConnect work just fine). They called me after another day to let me know that their escalated issue to CDJR techs informed them to do the map update, too. My dealer let me know that he was told there is some sort of map issue/glitch which causes the issue (this is probably why the one post said turning on/off POIs worked). I was able to create the USB as described above and update the maps on my truck. Since Saturday, I haven't had any issues but will continue to monitor.

Reaction score
OK guys, I hope this helps. I had the same problem on my brand new 2023 Limited since I picked it up last week. Did factory reset and didn’t work. Uconnect helpline added some additional steps to my reset, and it worked! They said this has been happening and that they haven’t had anybody come back after following the steps.

Note the extra step of only having one profile. Also, they told me over the phone (which isn’t listed in the email), to leave my truck on for 15 minutes during reset. Then turned it off, when I turned it back on it worked. I did not have to do the second option of installing new maps.

Step 2- Perform Radio Factory Reset: Go to Apps--> Settings-->Reset-->Factory Reset.

If you have done this step and have found no result that helped the functionality of the navigation system; you may try these remaining steps as well.

Try and use this link:

To download the latest maps go to the link above and with a usb flash drive do the following:

1. Format the USB: Right Click on USB drive-->>Format-->>File system--->>FAT32 or NTFS-->>Start.

3. Insert the USB stick to the USB port in the Vehicle. Once after USB is detected pop-up should occur saying "Do you want to update your system with new navigation content" then select start>>OK

Went and bought 64 GB sandisk usb flash drive and downloaded to computer than tried to transfer to usb and it says file to large. What am I doing wrong?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Went and bought 64 GB sandisk usb flash drive and downloaded to computer than tried to transfer to usb and it says file to large. What am I doing wrong?
Can't format it as fat32. Max file size is only 4gb which you like are seeing.

Format as NTFS (right click on the drive in Windows and click format)

Legal Brief

Reaction score
They released a version without proper testing. To fix your issues you have to a) upgrade the informant to the newest version (dealer) then down load the new maps on to a very large flash drive, then if the problem persists delete all personal profiles. (It’s all about version compatibility)

The maps are massive no way the OTA will work, possible that future update may work aOTS, but I’d keep the flash drive around.

I personally am blown away that no one tests this stuff before releasing, that no one informs the dealers how to fix this… I love my RAM but am disappointed in Stellantis (this issue also exists in Jeep and Dodge)

Reaction score

Try and use this link:

Ok got it downloaded to usb. Truck doesn’t do anything when plugged in

Reaction score

Format as NTFS (right click on the drive in Windows and click format)
Ya I did that. Matter if it’s zipped files or not? Not sure what else to do. Got it downloaded and truck still doesn’t do anything when plugged in

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the shout! We're advised this is a known concern that Engineering is currently investigating to resolve at this time. We hope to return soon once further details are available with a fix.

Steph
Ram Cares
Ok so why November and I’m having these sa
W problems after a update was done?

Reaction score
Yes it matters. What exactly are you trying to do at this point? Firmware updates, or map updates?
Well I assumed it was the map updates. But like everyone else here every 6-7 minutes if I’m on the radio it will auto switch to navigation saying Tom Tom maps updating or something like that

Reaction score
I'll add another data point here. The navigation app was rebooting every 7 minutes or so and displaying the navigation screen once it came back, making me keep having to press the home or media screen to get back to the way I wanted it.

This happened after it did an update on it's own over wifi, which seemed to complete with the engine off.

My fix that's worked so far was to delete the 2nd profile. It hasn't rebooted since.
Exactly like mine but nothing is fixing the problem

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well I assumed it was the map updates. But like everyone else here every 6-7 minutes if I’m on the radio it will auto switch to navigation saying Tom Tom maps updating or something like that
The map files are several files and need to be inserted while the truck is on.

On the firmware update it needs to be inserted but does not trigger until turning the truck off (and you can turn it back on while it goes)

23RAM

Reaction score
Exactly like mine but nothing is fixing the problem
TLDR = lazy.
The solution is posted right here in this very thread.
It appears that deleting extra profiles and leaving only profile 1 resolves the issue. I only have the one profile so no issues for me.

23RAM

Reaction score
That's wrong info.
Ya I did that. Matter if it’s zipped files or not? Not sure what else to do. Got it downloaded and truck still doesn’t do anything when plugged in
The correct info has already been posted and is on the website when you download the map file. If you read the details you'd know to format the flash drive FAT32 - the map download needs to be unzipped and then the map files transferred to the empty flash drive. The 4gig limitation doesn't matter as the individual map files are all 4gigs or less.

Users who are viewing this thread