5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunctional Tailgate

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With the right on brackets you can use multiple covers.
I have the bakflip mx4 and no issues 9 months now

O

Old member 1160

You can replace the factory brackets and use pretty much whatever cover you want.
True story. Just noting if you don’t want to go down that path, there are limited cover options.

O

Old member 1160

28C71B5C-A21C-45C0-8C47-ED17016BF76C.jpeg
For anyone who is curious, I went with a Truxedo CT. Works fairly well with the MFT.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Love the MFT…however, it is hard finding a cover that works due to the braces at the front of the bed.
I ended up going "inexpensive" and getting the Truxedo Truxsport for like 300 bucks. For my needs, it works great. I also have the Ramboxes and bed utility management system. I am less interested in perfection and more about practicality. It isn't 100% waterproof, but it is about 98%. And I don't have to obsess about the 1500 buck tonneau I got that isn't waterproof. AND, standing three cars over walking up to it in a parking lot, I bet you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and a 1500 buck soft version. I used to have the tri-fold on my 2015 and much prefer the roll up as I don't have to remove it to get something big in the bed. For 300 bucks, easy to install (you will need another person for about 30 seconds) and looks pretty good.

RBJ

Reaction score
Love having the MFT and use the barn door opening far more than the traditional up and down tailgate. The barn door set up is much more practical for every day use. I have only once experienced the warning light that the tailgate wasn’t completely closed. A firm, solid push to close works well. I would definitely get another MFT in a truck.

Kaderast

Reaction score
After a few months with my truck, and reading some posts on here, I really wish I would have ordered mine with the MFT. Especially since I'm only 5'7" with a good pair of boots on, feel like I would be able to reach a lot more stuff in the bed with one.

Has anyone added the MFT aftermarket, or is it insanely expensive?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
After a few months with my truck, and reading some posts on here, I really wish I would have ordered mine with the MFT. Especially since I'm only 5'7" with a good pair of boots on, feel like I would be able to reach a lot more stuff in the bed with one.

Has anyone added the MFT aftermarket, or is it insanely expensive?
Not sure anyone has done it yet. I was looking into it earlier this year but ended up trading my truck in for one with the MFT. It will physically fit. You need to replace the strikers. There is also question about whether you need to add any wiring. You would also need the extra bracing if you don't have a rambox bed. But the biggest issue is getting the tailgate. You can't buy one complete from Mopar, so unless you can find one from a salvage yard you're out of luck for now.

Kaderast

Reaction score
Not sure anyone has done it yet. I was looking into it earlier this year but ended up trading my truck in for one with the MFT. It will physically fit. You need to replace the strikers. There is also question about whether you need to add any wiring. You would also need the extra bracing if you don't have a rambox bed. But the biggest issue is getting the tailgate. You can't buy one complete from Mopar, so unless you can find one from a salvage yard you're out of luck for now.
Bummer. Sounds like I might be taking the Sawzall to mine and cutting my traditional tailgate in half then. Bolt on some side hinges and a slide latch from the hardware store, and surely no one will know the difference.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Not possible - the brackets screw into reinforcements with threaded holes. The top rail of the rear bed wall, and top forward section of the bed rails use stampings unique to MFT-equipped beds, and are only reinforced at the current location of the brackets.

And with all due respect, the righton brackets don’t work as reinforcements, they just make you feel better about removing the factory parts. They do not have the rigidity of the factory bracket, but it may take a couple years to experience the failure mode they allow.
Actually they do act as reinforcement for the flexing of the bed walls that happen when you have the barn doors open. Just as the OEM brackets do.

Users who are viewing this thread