5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunctional Tailgate

Nhiatt

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I plan on buying a new 2020 Ram Laramie sport 1500 soon. What are everyones thoughts on the multifunctional tailgate? I’m hesitant on getting one. How do they hold up in the winter months? I’m here in Minnesota so it will be exposed to snow, ice and SALT! Can’t wait to get my new pickup. I’m switching from a GMC to a Ram

MrB

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I plan on buying a new 2020 Ram Laramie sport 1500 soon. What are everyones thoughts on the multifunctional tailgate? I’m hesitant on getting one. How do they hold up in the winter months? I’m here in Minnesota so it will be exposed to snow, ice and SALT! Can’t wait to get my new pickup. I’m switching from a GMC to a Ram
It's my most favorite feature on the truck (and my Limited has just about every feature). Not sure how MFT would be any different than a normal tailgate regarding winter, but maybe others can chime in on that. It obviously can function as a normal tailgate whenever you want but the only time i've ever opened it conventionally instead of via barn doors is when i'm trying to show off the automatic tailgate drop via FOB to impress friends.

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
I am picking up my 2020 Sport tomorrow with RamBox and Multi Tailgate. Can't wait for the ease of access and storage options it provides. I have young kids and thus 2 car seats making underseat storage in the crew cab worthless

bigalf

Reaction score
I have not had mine long and I already really like it. My suggestions humbly would be to get it with the bed utility group, which comes with a s divider. That makes it like a trunk. Excellent execution.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can't think of anyone who has it that's complained about it. Lots of people who don't have it have said they'd never buy it, but I chalk that up to their not having used it. For my wife and I it's just as important as having the rambox option. Haven't had it over winter yet, but I wouldn't think it can't hold up to that.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Personally love mine. I'm not sure I can ever go back to just a standard tailgate. I've used the barn doors way more often than the traditional drop. Can't speak to the winter months you mention as this is my first winter with it but I can't imagine it being any different than a regular tailgate.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
If Ram (or even an aftermarket company) came out with a retrofit kit, to allow those of us without one to have one without buying a whole new truck, I'd give them my money.

Steve
This is a pretty good endorsement for em. :LOL: Another checkmark in the MFT column.

BNeal

Reaction score
I almost never use the drop-down feature of my MFT. The car-door style of opening is the freakin' bomb! I can't imagine winter having any negative effect. I love my MFT and Ram Boxes!

RickWaz

Reaction score
The RAM Boxes and MFT are w/o question 2 of the best options I have. I got my 2020 Limited in OCT-2019 and had absolutely no issues w/ it during the past MI winter.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
At 5'5" and kinda chubby - this was the one feature that got me into my RAM over the next closest (F-150 Platinum). Beware though - the availability of tonneau covers covers that are compatible with it.

There are aftermarket brackets that will make most covers fit - but it's still a crapshoot at best.

At any rate.

The MFT tailgate is a little less "air-tight" than a regular old tailgate. If you're not running a cover on the bed - won't make much of a difference either way.

Snow/Ice/Salt - shouldn't make much of a difference between this and a regular - aside from the fact there will be more "nooks & crannies" for salty crap to get into. So you might want to pay some extra attention when cleaning the salt/gunk off - to make sure you don't leave any to fester in all the additional hiding spots the MFT creates - so they don't create a body rot issue down the road.

Rick

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Seems to be a worthwhile feature.
What’s the difference in price vs. the std tailgate?

Wsmith

Reaction score
My last vehicle was a ridgeline which had a tailgate that would open traditionally or horizontally, kind of the original MFT. I did not get it on the Ram, long story short I wish I would have. The convenience of getting right to the bed is really nice. Didn't think I would miss it but I do.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My last vehicle was a ridgeline which had a tailgate that would open traditionally or horizontally, kind of the original MFT. I did not get it on the Ram, long story short I wish I would have. The convenience of getting right to the bed is really nice. Didn't think I would miss it but I do.
I would have ordered if it was available when I got mine. That being said, I like Honda’s implementation better.
The off-center opening on the RAM bugs me :)

Wsmith

Reaction score
I would have ordered if it was available when I got mine. That being said, I like Honda’s implementation better.
The off-center opening on the RAM bugs me :)
I had a 2019, the tailgate would not quite open 90 degrees, I have heard, but not sure they have increased that in 2020. That was the only ting I didn't like about the Honda tailgate.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The problem with the Ridgeline style tailgate is you may not be able to open it all the way if you have a trailer connected. With the split tailgate it shouldn't be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread