5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunctional Tailgate

davidajpritchard

Reaction score
I really like the mft on my 2020 Limited. I use it in the barn door way more than I ever imagined I would. The only thing I miss is having a bakflip cover as it didn't work with brackets in the bed

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

MrB

Reaction score
Beware though - the availability of tonneau covers covers that are compatible with it.
I have the factory tonneau cover and I love it. Works fine with MFT, easy to open or fold back, easy to take off/put back on, and excellent protection from weather/rain.

Skater

Reaction score
I really like the mft on my 2020 Limited. I use it in the barn door way more than I ever imagined I would. The only thing I miss is having a bakflip cover as it didn't work with brackets in the bed

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk
Have you looked into Right On Brackets solution to replace the OEM corner braces preventing you from installing the backflip? They allowed me to install a WeatherTech Tri-fold Alloy and it works great with my MFT.

Last edited:

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The problem with the Ridgeline style tailgate is you may not be able to open it all the way if you have a trailer connected. With the split tailgate it shouldn't be an issue.
Had a Ridgeline, loved it and I love my Ram with MFT but neither would open all the way with my camper. For that to happen I'd need to get an extended drawbar to make it work.

Hence when camping season arrives I'm going to get the Mopar corner step so I can get my fat @ss up on the tailgate.

Nhiatt

Reaction score
At 5'5" and kinda chubby - this was the one feature that got me into my RAM over the next closest (F-150 Platinum). Beware though - the availability of tonneau covers covers that are compatible with it.

There are aftermarket brackets that will make most covers fit - but it's still a crapshoot at best.

At any rate.

The MFT tailgate is a little less "air-tight" than a regular old tailgate. If you're not running a cover on the bed - won't make much of a difference either way.

Snow/Ice/Salt - shouldn't make much of a difference between this and a regular - aside from the fact there will be more "nooks & crannies" for salty crap to get into. So you might want to pay some extra attention when cleaning the salt/gunk off - to make sure you don't leave any to fester in all the additional hiding spots the MFT creates - so they don't create a body rot issue down the road.

Rick
Thanks for the info Rick! I’m picking up my 2020 Ram Laramie 1500 on Wednesday.

What is the brand of tonneau cover do you have? I’ve only had Access Tonneau covers.

Neil

RSConsulting

Reaction score

What is the brand of tonneau cover do you have? I’ve only had Access Tonneau covers.

Neil
Gator Hybrid. Fits with no issues. If you opt for the factory sliding bed divider - you will have to cut the rails down to make it work (it hits the corner brackets and the clamps for the cover.

There may be some manufacturers that have modified their covers to work with the MFT by this time. OTOH - as popular as it is AMONGST THOSE OF US WHO HAVE THEM, there may still not be enough of them "out in the wild" - to justify a redesign for cover manufacturers.

All in all - the MFT's benefits (for me) outweigh the shortcomings. There are enough "workarounds" for them, that you can get them 80% (or better) as functional, as regular tailgate models. If I had to do it all over again - I'd still have gotten the MFT (or if it wasn't time to trade my last vehicle in, waited a year).

Then again - I bought a pickup because all the SUV models out there were "stale" (in the last year or two of the generation) and the tech in them was "stale". I'm an "SUV Guy" - and the new Tahoe really gives me wood (actually - the Yukon Denali). They have independent rear suspension now - so they don't ride like a "truck" (the jarring of a solid rear axle going over bumps, gives me the impression stuff is gonna start falling off the truck). But I have to wait until they start discounting them (summer at the earliest most likely) because I just can't make the numbers work.

Rick

Skater

Reaction score

Neil
Sent you a PM if you are interested in an OEM Tri-Fold Soft Tonneau that came with a black appearance package on 2020 Limited without RamBoxes, but with MFT.

Last edited:

tyresmoker

Reaction score
Funny..A good friend of mine just ordered up a '21 Limited. I said "you gotta get the tailgate, it is my favorite feature on mine"... He didn't. Then I thought about it. He never owned a pickup before, so has never experienced the relative shortcomings living with a conventional tailgate. I call it the Costco issue: I had an F-150 KR then a Superduty supercab. I also have a Canyon 4-door shop truck. In the past, whenever taking one on such mundane duties as bulk shopping, they are a PITA to load because of the size of the vehicles/doors. The splitfold gate solves that issue as far as I am concerned. It makes loading/unloading the truck that much easier....My two cents of course..

JParsonss

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I plan on buying a new 2020 Ram Laramie sport 1500 soon. What are everyones thoughts on the multifunctional tailgate? I’m hesitant on getting one. How do they hold up in the winter months? I’m here in Minnesota so it will be exposed to snow, ice and SALT! Can’t wait to get my new pickup. I’m switching from a GMC to a Ram
Just purchased a Ram 1500 last week with the MFT. I love the tailgate but because of the braces it uses at the front of the bed your selection of Tonneau covers is very, very limited.

Nhiatt

Reaction score
Just purchased a Ram 1500 last week with the MFT. I love the tailgate but because of the braces it uses at the front of the bed your selection of Tonneau covers is very, very limited.
Did you get a tonneau cover? What brand did you go with? I saw that Access Tonneau cover brand has them. I get my Ram Laramie 1500 with the 6’4 box tomorrow!

JParsonss

Reaction score
Did you get a tonneau cover? What brand did you go with? I saw that Access Tonneau cover brand has them. I get my Ram Laramie 1500 with the 6’4 box tomorrow!
Not yet still doing my research. Open to any suggestions though.

Nhiatt

Reaction score
Not yet still doing my research. Open to any suggestions though.
I was told by my dealer that they use Access Tonneau covers and you will want the Access original cover. I’ve had Access on all my GM pickups and have yet to have a problem

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I plan on using the right on brackets with a OEM Mopar trifold hardtop. Also have the mopar bed divider installed as well. Took off factory brackets yesterday and installed the top. Will add the brackets when I get off work on Monday when they arrive.

traveller09

Reaction score
Good discussion. I am debating buying a 2021 Rebel. Rambox are a must, lockable tonneau cover is a must, MFTG is a nice feature and I want the feature, but the Rambox and tonneau cover are first priority. I really like the retrax. Can I find a lockable cover that works with the Rambox and MFTG? Doesnt sound like it? But maybe it is just as hard to find one that works with the Rambox?

DanoUF

Reaction score
Good discussion. I am debating buying a 2021 Rebel. Rambox are a must, lockable tonneau cover is a must, MFTG is a nice feature and I want the feature, but the Rambox and tonneau cover are first priority. I really like the retrax. Can I find a lockable cover that works with the Rambox and MFTG? Doesnt sound like it? But maybe it is just as hard to find one that works with the Rambox?
Most covers that work with the Rambox will work w/ the MFT. The tonneau issue is w/ beds that don't have the Ramboxes, they use corner brackets at the cab bulkhead for additional structural support required for the MFT.

RickWaz

Reaction score
I opted for the Pro (Aluminum) vs Poly for what I believed would be a more durable material. Below is the warranty info for both, and the Pro has a better warranty. And both are lockable, work w/ the RAMboxes and work w/ the MFT.

Also note the Retrax has 15% off all products, until 12/02/20!

The RetraxPRO MX (https://retrax.com/product-detail/80244) has a Legendary Lifetime Guarantee. This warranty is to the original owner and is non-transferable

The RetraxONE MX (https://retrax.com/retraxone-mx/2020/ram/1500) has a 1 year full warranty, then a limited lifetime warranty after the first year at a prorated price unless specified otherwise. This warranty is to the original owner and is non-transferable.

dfk140

Reaction score
At 5'5" and kinda chubby - this was the one feature that got me into my RAM over the next closest (F-150 Platinum). Beware though - the availability of tonneau covers covers that are compatible with it.

There are aftermarket brackets that will make most covers fit - but it's still a crapshoot at best.

At any rate.

The MFT tailgate is a little less "air-tight" than a regular old tailgate. If you're not running a cover on the bed - won't make much of a difference either way.

Snow/Ice/Salt - shouldn't make much of a difference between this and a regular - aside from the fact there will be more "nooks & crannies" for salty crap to get into. So you might want to pay some extra attention when cleaning the salt/gunk off - to make sure you don't leave any to fester in all the additional hiding spots the MFT creates - so they don't create a body rot issue down the road.

Rick
Rick,

I know this is an old thread, but regarding the aftermarket tonneau covers, do you have any suggestion on a good tri-fold cover for MFT without the Ram Boxes?

Users who are viewing this thread