5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunctional Tailgate

moontea

Reaction score
I bought the Extang Trifecta 2.0 Tonneau Cover and installed it last week, works well with my MFT w/o Rambox. No need to change the support brackets.
454fe166dffef02585af7e528269bc18.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Skater

Reaction score
Rick,

I know this is an old thread, but regarding the aftermarket tonneau covers, do you have any suggestion on a good tri-fold cover for MFT without the Ram Boxes?
I installed the WeatherTech tri-fold Alloy and I do not have Ramboxes, but do have the MFT. I replaced the factory bed braces with Right On Brackets’ replacements and even though WeatherTech claimed it would not fit, it worked perfectly and looks amazing.

If you are willing to replace the factory bed braces with something like Right On Brackets products, you can likely install just about any tri-fold tonneau you want. I can tell you the WeatherTech worked and I have it on for a year without any issues.

Last edited:

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
moontea, that sounds like it will work with my new truck. I purchased a Laramie this week with the multifunction tailgate. Since you've had this for a bit do you have any reservations?

moontea

Reaction score
I have it for two month now, works good except two tiny issues I can live with: 1. Gate won't auto fall off when if cover is closed and you use the key to open the gate. I always manually pull down the gate so that's not an issue for me. 2. The locks of the cover will interfere with my AMP research Extender HD Max ,which makes it a bit hard to lock the cover when the extender is flipping inward.

BNeal

Reaction score
moontea, that sounds like it will work with my new truck. I purchased a Laramie this week with the multifunction tailgate. Since you've had this for a bit do you have any reservations?
I never use the traditional tailgate unless I am hauling something that requires the extra length. The car-door-like functionality of the MFT is awesome and meets almost all of my needs.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I never use the traditional tailgate unless I am hauling something that requires the extra length. The car-door-like functionality of the MFT is awesome and meets almost all of my needs.
Same for me. I haven't opened mine in the traditional way for a couple of months other than to use it for a seat at a tailgate party a couple weeks ago.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same for me. I haven't opened mine in the traditional way for a couple of months other than to use it for a seat at a tailgate party a couple weeks ago.

Same, and our daughter opened it the old fashioned way the other week and said "oops" and quickly closed it before opening it the right way! Still one of my favorite feature of the truck.

lawrencemb

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I plan on buying a new 2020 Ram Laramie sport 1500 soon. What are everyones thoughts on the multifunctional tailgate? I’m hesitant on getting one. How do they hold up in the winter months? I’m here in Minnesota so it will be exposed to snow, ice and SALT! Can’t wait to get my new pickup. I’m switching from a GMC to a Ram
My multifunction tailgate sucks. If you don’t hold your mouth right and close it just right it won’t open and the dash light comes on saying your tailgate is open

moontea

Reaction score
My multifunction tailgate sucks. If you don’t hold your mouth right and close it just right it won’t open and the dash light comes on saying your tailgate is open
Just close it as hard as you can, don't be gentle.

RBJ

Reaction score
I love the MFT. If you use the bed of your truck frequently to haul things, including groceries, it just makes it so much easier to load and with the MFT, the retracting rear bed step is under the larger barn door (left-side) making it even easier to step up and into the bed as needed. And FYI with the MFT tailgate down, the tailgate can hold 2,000 lbs. Its a great option offering additional utility for using the truck bed in a variety of situations.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was on the fence about the MFT.....until I had a truck with it for a weekend. Made sure it was part of my order. It makes it much easier to use the bed of the truck. My girlfriend is short and not having to reach over the tailgate makes it easier for her as well.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It sounds to me like there is an issue with yours. Have you taken it in and had it looked at? We have two of these in the family and we don't have to slam them to get them to close right and not have the dash indicator come on.
Just close it as hard as you can, don't be gentle.

You shouldn't need to close it as hard as you can. Nominal slamming should be sufficient to get it to close right :ROFLMAO:

Redfour5

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I plan on buying a new 2020 Ram Laramie sport 1500 soon. What are everyones thoughts on the multifunctional tailgate? I’m hesitant on getting one. How do they hold up in the winter months? I’m here in Minnesota so it will be exposed to snow, ice and SALT! Can’t wait to get my new pickup. I’m switching from a GMC to a Ram
I really did not want it or the bed utility management system OR the Ram boxes, but the rest of the truck checked my boxes around towing a travel trailer and the off road package. And part of all that was the spray in bed liner. So, I shrugged my shoulders and bought it. Here about a month later I love all of those things. I am frankly surprised.

As someone else noted, I now use the "barn doors" to get in the bed and practically haven't even used the regular tailgate except as a work surface while building a few small projects. AND, I can almost reach all the way back to the cab (5 foot 7 bed) with the doors instead of having to throw half my body onto the tailgate to reach things up by the cab. If I don't have to open the tonneau I don't. I even had a system on my old truck of long bungees on things up by the cab so I could pull anything back. What a hassle.

NOW, no problem, what so ever. So, I have been converted and have seen the light... Oh, having the whole shebang for the bed systems You will notice that few tonneau covers seem to fit and when they do, the prices are horrid. I took a chance on the Truxedo Truxsport at 299 bucks and have been pleasantly surprised. If you want perfection in looks and perfect water tightness, then look else where and even then water tightness is a relative term for all of them. You want practical and 95% water tightness and a decent price, with looks that at 15 to 20 feet away aren't much different than the 1000 buck units, consider the Truxport. And you can install it yourself.

ny2az

Reaction score
Ordered a 22' Limited w/ 10th Ann Edition which includes the MFT... ln the ordering, l added the factory tri fold option due to the MFT compatiblity with one piece hard tonneau covers ... never ordered the MFT before for that reason ... l love the look of a painted to match hard tonneau cover ... now that l have read here that you can modify the forward bulk head braces to make a one piece cover work, l will be looking into this ... may even cancel the factory tri fold option ...

question ... are there any rear bracing by the MFT that would need modifying ...
if anyone with an MFT can post pics of the tailgate / bulkhead areas ... so we can see what ram has changed for structural support to work with the MFT ... that would greatly be appreciated ...

Last edited:

BNeal

Reaction score
Ordered a 22' Limited w/ 10th Ann Edition which includes the MFT... ln the ordering, l added the factory tri fold option due to the MFT compatiblity with one piece hard tonneau covers ... never ordered the MFT before for that reason ... l love the look of a painted to match hard tonneau cover ... now that l have read here that you can modify the forward bulk head braces to make a one piece cover work, l will be looking into this ... may even cancel the factory tri fold option ...

question ... are there any rear bracing by the MFT that would need modifying ...
if anyone with an MFT can post pics of the tailgate / bulkhead areas ... so we can see what ram has changed for structural support to work with the MFT ... that would greatly be appreciated ...
Not sure this is what you're looking for, but the image on the left is how it looks with the tailgate down (see yellow box), and the one on the right, that part stays up and provides the hinge to open the gate-like doors.

1626885609144.png

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not sure this is what you're looking for, but the image on the left is how it looks with the tailgate down (see yellow box), and the one on the right, that part stays up and provides the hinge to open the gate-like doors.

View attachment 100550
Pretty sure he's asking about the bracing that's needed for the non-rambox beds with the MFT. Those beds require the brackets in the front corners of the bed. The pics you attached aren't bed bracing, but a structural part of the MFT itself. Any extra rear bracing would be internal.

BNeal

Reaction score
Pretty sure he's asking about the bracing that's needed for the non-rambox beds with the MFT. Those beds require the brackets in the front corners of the bed. The pics you attached aren't bed bracing, but a structural part of the MFT itself. Any extra rear bracing would be internal.
Ahhh... you're probably right.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the image from righton's website. The bottom is the bracket in the front corners for the bed.
1626887696571.png

Users who are viewing this thread