5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIS) Error code P1524

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man some of you have way too much time on your hands and way overthink things.. Obviously there’s something wrong with the current batches of Amzoil filters, they are clearly trying to blame it on the Chevy and Ram engines, inclining that the filter is getting full of too much debris, which is Bull ****, these are new trucks that have no issues with any other filter made. This is exactly why I avoid gimicky over priced **** and keep things simple on the servicing of my vehicles. Who needs these kinds of head aches!

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
Man some of you have way too much time on your hands and way overthink things.. Obviously there’s something wrong with the current batches of Amzoil filters, they are clearly trying to blame it on the Chevy and Ram engines, inclining that the filter is getting full of too much debris, which is Bull ****, these are new trucks that have no issues with any other filter made. This is exactly why I avoid gimicky over priced **** and keep things simple on the servicing of my vehicles. Who needs these kinds of head aches!
Oh this can't be true because Amsoil says so!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Runagun

Reaction score
Geez your opinion is like a Chevy guy coming in here and saying Ram sucks. Move-on you don't use Amsoil no need to give your opinion. It's ironic your pointing fingers of people wasting time when you yourself is wasting time. I'll say it Again, opinions are like *******s we all have them and always think someone else's stinks.
Enjoy the truck.

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
Geez your opinion is like a Chevy guy coming in here and saying Ram sucks. Move-on you don't use Amsoil no need to give your opinion. It's ironic your pointing fingers of people wasting time when you yourself is wasting time. I'll say it Again, opinions are like *******s we all have them and always think someone else's stinks.
Enjoy the truck.
This post is about ram truck with a mil light. We all have a right to be here. You have even gone as far as to say now that we "know" our rams are producing more carbon. I asked if you had some proof, and you responded with a basic response of what amsoil told you. No proof! One person here is doing some real checking into it. But its easy to see all you have to back up your claim is you pay a lot of money for your oil changes, and you got their back. Funny thing is if this was a mopar filter and the dealer said for now we need to run a wix, this would be entire different story. I bet every single one of you would place blame on the filter and start documenting how many times the light came on, and how much possible internal damage has been done, and so on.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
I guess if I got a bad burger at McDonald's, I wouldn't expect them to replace it with a gift certificate to Burger King. That how I feel about amsoil replacing their filter with a wix.

Wix is their secondary line that they sell for people who dont want to buy an Amsoil filter, most makes and model will offer you both. Its not like they threw a dart at a board and said we will send him this random filter. Wix makes great filters for the money, for those not taking their oil out the full distance and dont need the filter to go that term, the wix filter is an excellent choice.

In the case of the Ram, it has notoriously used a small filter media, and some have gone with a larger filter to combat this. The problem, (if it is a problem), is the filter media in the new Amsoil filters catches particles that are a lot smaller than even their older filter line. This combined with the large capacity of oil in these trucks causes them to "plug" faster than the sensors on modern vehicles like tripping the service code showing lower oil pressure because now the bypass is being used to help with flow. Im really not sure why Ram uses such a tiny filter when there is a ton more space to add a longer one with more filter media but this would certainly help in regards to this. I wouldn't be surprised with that wont be the end result, after all this.

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
Wix is their secondary line that they sell for people who dont want to buy an Amsoil filter, most makes and model will offer you both. Its not like they threw a dart at a board and said we will send him this random filter. Wix makes great filters for the money, for those not taking their oil out the full distance and dont need the filter to go that term, the wix filter is an excellent choice.

In the case of the Ram, it has notoriously used a small filter media, and some have gone with a larger filter to combat this. The problem, (if it is a problem), is the filter media in the new Amsoil filters catches particles that are a lot smaller than even their older filter line. This combined with the large capacity of oil in these trucks causes them to "plug" faster than the sensors on modern vehicles like tripping the service code showing lower oil pressure because now the bypass is being used to help with flow. Im really not sure why Ram uses such a tiny filter when there is a ton more space to add a longer one with more filter media but this would certainly help in regards to this. I wouldn't be surprised with that wont be the end result, after all this.
Thank you! This would make a whole lot more sense to me than the motors are producing more carbon. And I have nothing against the wix/napa filter. Good filters in my opinion. It just seemed like an odd situation to me.

Runagun

Reaction score
This post is about ram truck with a mil light. We all have a right to be here. You have even gone as far as to say now that we "know" our rams are producing more carbon. I asked if you had some proof, and you responded with a basic response of what amsoil told you. No proof! One person here is doing some real checking into it. But its easy to see all you have to back up your claim is you pay a lot of money for your oil changes, and you got their back. Funny thing is if this was a mopar filter and the dealer said for now we need to run a wix, this would be entire different story. I bet every single one of you would place blame on the filter and start documenting how many times the light came on, and how much possible internal damage has been done, and so on.

are you paying for my oil changes? Cause if you are you're more then welcome to chime in.... I'll send you the bill lmk your address.

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
are you paying for my oil changes? Cause if you are you're more then welcome to chime in.... I'll send you the bill lmk your address.
Geesh you're a sensitive one lol! Once again, your loyalty to the product is awesome! But your loyalty to a product don't back your accusations that the hemi is producing more carbon. When you state such a statement on a public forum, other members like myself are intrigued to say the least of how you came up with that knowledge, and where the proof is. That's all I'm doing here, but you keep telling me to "move on". I'm not going anywhere lol, and I'm not trying to get you to stop using a product, or bad mouth any brand.

Runagun

Reaction score
Geesh you're a sensitive one lol! Once again, your loyalty to the product is awesome! But your loyalty to a product don't back your accusations that the hemi is producing more carbon. When you state such a statement on a public forum, other members like myself are intrigued to say the least of how you came up with that knowledge, and where the proof is. That's all I'm doing here, but you keep telling me to "move on". I'm not going anywhere lol, and I'm not trying to get you to stop using a product, or bad mouth any brand.

Brother your right. Go bask in your glory of internet fame.

DSmith1178

Reaction score
Add me to the list of a possible bad Amsoil oil filter. CEL came on other day about 7000 miles since last oil change and 30 % life showing on guage. Code P1524. Just bought a mopar oem filter and the Pennzoil full synthetic mopar reccomends to see if that clears it up. To those who have had the issue does the CEL light go out on its own after a few drive cycles?

Runagun

Reaction score
Add me to the list of a possible bad Amsoil oil filter. CEL came on other day about 7000 miles since last oil change and 30 % life showing on guage. Code P1524. Just bought a mopar oem filter and the Pennzoil full synthetic mopar reccomends to see if that clears it up. To those who have had the issue does the CEL light go out on its own after a few drive cycles?
Went with fram ultra synthetic filter with amsoil. So far so good. Have 5-6k miles on the oil and oil psi is still in the 50s

DSmith1178

Reaction score
Went with fram ultra synthetic filter with amsoil. So far so good. Have 5-6k miles on the oil and oil psi is still in the 50s
Awesome. I did the oil change yesterday with mopar filter. Psi back in mid 50s. Waiting for light to turn off however long that takes.

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
The curiosity side of me decided to look into this more. I am going to send oil samples from my last oil change that I kept and oil from when I just changed from the Amsoil EA15k50 filter to the Wix filter sent to me as a replacement. I am also going to do my own testing for solids in the Mobil 1 Extended filter I used and the Amsoil filter I just took out.

So I've opened up both filters using a standard kitchen can opener. I had to use a small chisel to complete the removal of the tops. The filter media pleats are just cut out with a razor knife. The first observations were that Mobil 1 Extened and the Amsoil filter housings are definitely made by the same manufacturer. There is probably only a handful of manufacturers for oil filter housings. Mobil and Amsoil probably just specify the filtering media and each has there Logo put on the housing. The reason I bring this up is every part of the housing is identical, including the bypass valves.
View attachment 91325 View attachment 91326 View attachment 91327
I checked the bypass, and there wasn't anything on the seat that would be allowing continuous leakage and the spring rate felt the same in both filter housings. So I think problem had to be a plugged filter element.
The pleated elements are very different, the Mobil 1 is a thin paper filter, the Amsoil is a fabric bonded to a screen and was thicker, similar to a K&N air filter element. I didn't observe any large carbon particles, but I noticed more metal in the Mobile 1 filter, but that was only the second oil change and had over 8.5k miles compared to the 3.4k miles on the Amsoil filter.

At Blackstone Labs, they can analyze the filter elements but I don't want to spend $75ea plus the $30ea for oil analysis. I worked in the oil refining industry for 40+ years and have lab experience testing different crude cuts for solids, so I will make up my own test, even though it won't meet ASTM standards. I want to compare the solids content and compare the filters. This along with the Insolubles from the oil test will hopefully give some insight on % total solids in oil and filter.

I'm not sure anyone is interested in this, but as I said, I am, especially since I spent my whole career in R&D.

FYI, this is a follow up on my post from earlier this year about the P1524 code. I never got the time to analyze the filter elements for solids, but I haven't had another P1524 code. I have attached 4 oil analysis that I've done from right before using the Amsoil filter, right after having the P1524 code after only 3319 miles and just replacing the filter, and 2 following oil changes, one using Wix filter and one using K&N filter.
when you look at these reports, besides just looking at the actual analysis numbers, read the comments by the analyst. As you will see, my truck has had no issues with excessive particulate coming from the engine based on the <2% insolubles and analyst comments. FYI, the last oil change included 3k miles of towing a 6.5k travel trailer in the mountains, running at much higher than normal rpms with no obvious adverse effects on the oil analysis.
I'd guess that the problem is probably a combination of the AMSOIL EA15K50 being too fine of micron filtering element, and Rams underestimating the filter capacity using to small of a can/element for the 7 qt oil capacity in the 5.7L motor.
I also would like to note that somewhere in this thread I read you could use a larger capacity oil filter from the 4th gen 5.7l motor. I don't know if there are differences from model to model, but my 4wd Bighorn could not accommodate a longer filter element, I can barley get the stock one out. It is very tight around and below the housing, where I have a hard time getting an oil filter wrench on it. At least using a larger micron filter element seems to work fine with the small filter capacity and 7 qts of oil without causing any problems with filtering efficiency based on the analysis.
Also observations from these oil analysis's, show it can take 20-30k miles, or 3 to 4 oil changes to filter out all of the metal fines from engine break in. These analysis's may be useful posted to a larger audience somewhere else in the forum if someone is inclined to copy them.

Attachments

• OilReports06032021.pdf
    55.9 KB · Views: 9
  • OilReports06242021.pdf
    56.2 KB · Views: 5
  • OilReports08302021.pdf
    56 KB · Views: 4
  • OilReports11302021.pdf
    55.9 KB · Views: 5

KJ6MTJ

Reaction score
I just got my P1524 code today... I run Royal Purple 5w20 with Royal Purple Filter 10-48. I was thinking about switching over to 10w30 Royal Purple but not sure if its just the brand of oil I'm running causing the issue.

I have about 44,000 miles on the truck. Thought about switching over to Mopar Filter and Rotella Gas Truck 5w20 or 10w30. I do pull a RV Travel trailer around. I barely let the MDS engage. My psi used to run 31 at idle, but its dipping down as low as 24. Driving it was be 51 to 55 psi but today, couldn't get it past 33 psi while driving. Didn't observe anything clunking or out of norm. Oil change would be my first step with this. Question is to stay with existing brands or change. Seems like Mopar Filers are the winner for sure.

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
I
I just got my P1524 code today... I run Royal Purple 5w20 with Royal Purple Filter 10-48. I was thinking about switching over to 10w30 Royal Purple but not sure if its just the brand of oil I'm running causing the issue.

I have about 44,000 miles on the truck. Thought about switching over to Mopar Filter and Rotella Gas Truck 5w20 or 10w30. I do pull a RV Travel trailer around. I barely let the MDS engage. My psi used to run 31 at idle, but its dipping down as low as 24. Driving it was be 51 to 55 psi but today, couldn't get it past 33 psi while driving. Didn't observe anything clunking or out of norm. Oil change would be my first step with this. Question is to stay with existing brands or change. Seems like Mopar Filers are the winner for sure.
I'm not going back to reread all of the post, but if my memory is correct, most of the problems have been with the AMSOIL EA15K50 oil filter. So interestingly the P1524 code isn't unique to the Amsoil filter. I'm fairly confident that the oil choice doesn't have anything to do with this code, so I'd stick with the recommended viscosity oil. Your symptoms are typical of what others including myself have seen. This is an indication that the filter media is getting too full. If you aren't close to the change oil mileage, you can just swap filters and add back the amount of oil lost and in the filter, I think this was less than 1/2 a quart.
I looked at the specs on your Purple 10-48 and they look very similar to the Amsoil filter. They could very well be made by the same manufacturer. They are both considered extended life filters with micro-glass filter media claiming 99% filtering efficiency. The only difference is Amsoil claims filtering down to 20 microns whereas Purple claims 25 microns. But this could still be the same element as one manufacturer may be using the absolute micron rating and the other may be using a nominal micron rating. Either way the elements are loading up to quickly and won't last to the end of the oil change recommendations.
This problem seems to point to filter element surface area being too small to handle the 7-quart oil capacity and the smaller particle filtration. Since I've changed filters, I haven't seen this code again. The Mopar filter is probably just as good a choice as many other filters out there. I would just say get a good mid grade quality filter, just not the cheapest one. You could try fitting the larger Mopar oil filter that was used on the previous generation 5.7l motors, but for my Bighorn, there's barely enough room for the smaller canister filter, although other say they have fit the larger (longer) one.

KJ6MTJ

Reaction score
Don't blame ya there, I did change the oil out this afternoon, what a difference, They didn't have the Mopar filter so I went with Wix 57899 filter which is what the 2012 5.7 had, larger, fit perfectly in the housing and went with 5w30 RP still to keep the consistency. Back to normal ranges, so happy with that! That's where these forms come in handy, I can pull my travel trailer this weekend somewhere for New Years, Yea Happy New Years all!

KJ6MTJ

Reaction score
Here's two pictures - 10-48 Royal Purple Filter - Purple Silicon looks like its folded over itself...
The other filter was a new filter but not the one that I put in and look how nice that orange silicone is seated...
Thought that was interesting to share...

IMG_20211227_191546_014.jpg IMG_20211227_191551_042.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread