5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIS) Error code P1524

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
There's only so much room inside that tiny housing for debris and media, the finer filtration means that the filter will catch more debris than other filters.
If you want to stick to an AMSOIL filter, then run the EAO11. It's the filter that's spec'd for older 5.7's with the biggest difference being the size of the housing, should help with the filter filling up so quickly.
I would think a newer vehicle, especially one that gets many highway miles, wouldn't generate a lot of debris. I don't plan on going to extended mileage oil change, I'll stick with the Ram recommendations, 10k or 1 year changes for normal driving. That's why I use the XL instead of the Signature oil, so the Wix should be fine. I would go with the larger body, but I had a hard enough time getting that small one in and out. Maybe I'll buy a cheap equivalent size filter housing just to test the size fit at my next oil change. I won't use it though, I can buy a better extended mileage one if it fits easy enough.

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
Fan boys will fan, and cheerleaders will cheer. But sounds like this amsoil filter has some serious problems that could lead to
premature internal engine wear. And for that reason, I'm out.
I always thought Amsoil prices were to high also. But when you sign up for an account, it's ~25% lower than their retail prices. The XL is better than the OE, but not as good (or pricey) as the Signature series. I use a lot of oil for several cars and motorcycles I have, it's worth the yearly fee and the oil get's sent to me in a day or 2. For one vehicle, it's not worth paying for an account.

As for this particular problem, I'm spouting off without really knowing what the issue is. I am always skeptical of company motives. Yes I said that I think it could be a bypass issue, but is the real underlaying cause something with the Ram engine design that creates excessive carbon particulate. That's what Amsoil claims is the problem, I just don't know. Anyway I'm ok with using a Wix filter or maybe I'll try a larger filter element on the next oil change.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always thought Amsoil prices were to high also. But when you sign up for an account, it's ~25% lower than their retail prices. The XL is better than the OE, but not as good (or pricey) as the Signature series. I use a lot of oil for several cars and motorcycles I have, it's worth the yearly fee and the oil get's sent to me in a day or 2. For one vehicle, it's not worth paying for an account.

As for this particular problem, I'm spouting off without really knowing what the issue is. I am always skeptical of company motives. Yes I said that I think it could be a bypass issue, but is the real underlaying cause something with the Ram engine design that creates excessive carbon particulate. That's what Amsoil claims is the problem, I just don't know. Anyway I'm ok with using a Wix filter or maybe I'll try a larger filter element on the next oil change.
Somewhere I'm sure you can get filter analysis done. That could be an option if you were really curious to backup what tech told you, not sure what it would cost though.
With the strict emissions standards, it really wouldn't surprise me if it's from EGR. But I also contribute it to the smaller filter size overall. Now thinking about it, could be the unburnt oil washing stuff out of the cylinders while in MDS that would normally exit the tailpipe...lots of factors at play.

I wasn't going to engage him because it seemed like it was going to be a waste of time. I also hear complaints about how it's not available in a local store...but it's not that hard to plan maintenance 3-5 days in advance really.

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
It's OK to be wrong or have opinions. I could be wrong on my opinion, but I'm gonna be outspoken with it, and everyone individually who reads it can decide.
I agree that the egr and emissions standards could be producing more carbon. But if amsoil is gonna sell a filter designed to catch all, and get normal service intervals with it, they better research. They obviously know they have a filter problem if they are sending a wix in replacement. A filter problem that throws the unhappy light on the dash for low oil pressure, and potentially causing premature wear on the engines internals, is not cool. I'd hope people read this entire thread and make a good choice on their own. But my opinion is amsoil dropped the ball on this one, and it appears to be recovered by wix.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Runagun

Reaction score
Fan boys will fan, and cheerleaders will cheer. But sounds like this amsoil filter has some serious problems that could lead to
premature internal engine wear. And for that reason, I'm out.

You're out? Wtf who gives if you're "in or out" opinions are like *******s. Everyone has them and everyone thinks the other one stinks. If you ain't got anything but I told you so. Move-on. Enjoy your life.

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
You're out? Wtf who gives if you're "in or out" opinions are like *******s. Everyone has them and everyone thinks the other one stinks. If you ain't got anything but I told you so. Move-on. Enjoy your life.
Geezus!
Amsoil is frigging awesome! Hoot and Hollar, raise the the roof. Heaven forbid someone gives an opinion on a filter that may be causing a boat load of internal damage. You seem to be the one with a post that has nothing relevant other than a rant at me. I'm at least trying to help people about a probable issue with amsoil filters. I'm not a keyboard cowboy, and you most likely are bigger, stronger, smarter, and better looking than me. If you all would just leave my opinion alone I'd have no reason to reply, but ya can't lol.

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
It's ok to have different opinions, otherwise life would be boring. But realize that each story has 2 sides, and the other side may not be well represented or understood. The one thing I won't do here is say that one party is absolutely right and the other one wrong. So to be fair, (even though I'm usually a skeptic) there may not be any issues with the filter. Amsoil didn't pull the plug on their EA15K50 and say it's not available. It's was taken off of the recommended list for Ram and some GM vehicles. If it was a flawed filter design, you would think they would of quit selling these all together. So, if the filter is plugging quickly, it's hard to blame the filter for doing what it's suppose to, bypassing oil filter so it doesn't prevent oil from getting to the engine. Could the bypass be defective, yes, but how can I say that exclusively, I don't have proof one way or the other. I think that's all I'll say about that for now.

The Wix just isn't as efficient at removing particulate. I just read that Mobil 1 filters were a finer micron rating back when they came out, but must have had similar issues to what I'm seeing now with the Amsoil filter. They made the micron rating up to 25 or 30 microns (depending on where you read) to improve oil flow to engine. So that brings up the question about what's to fine of micron rating and how much surface area do you need to last through a full oil change without any oil bypassing?

I may get this oil and filter analyzed. I actually still have some oil and filter from my last oil change that I'm debating if I want to analyze. I used Castrol Edge Extended performance with a Mobile 1 Extended oil filter with ~8500 miles on it. I am always curious about things and why they happen. Money isn't a big issue for me, but even if I learned something, what is it really going to change or improve, probably nothing. You probably can't tell, but being retired gives you more time to contemplate stuff like this, then when your younger and just don't have the time to think about stupid stuff like this, lol.

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
It's ok to have different opinions, otherwise life would be boring. But realize that each story has 2 sides, and the other side may not be well represented or understood. The one thing I won't do here is say that one party is absolutely right and the other one wrong. So to be fair, (even though I'm usually a skeptic) there may not be any issues with the filter. Amsoil didn't pull the plug on their EA15K50 and say it's not available. It's was taken off of the recommended list for Ram and some GM vehicles. If it was a flawed filter design, you would think they would of quit selling these all together. So, if the filter is plugging quickly, it's hard to blame the filter for doing what it's suppose to, bypassing oil filter so it doesn't prevent oil from getting to the engine. Could the bypass be defective, yes, but how can I say that exclusively, I don't have proof one way or the other. I think that's all I'll say about that for now.

The Wix just isn't as efficient at removing particulate. I just read that Mobil 1 filters were a finer micron rating back when they came out, but must have had similar issues to what I'm seeing now with the Amsoil filter. They made the micron rating up to 25 or 30 microns (depending on where you read) to improve oil flow to engine. So that brings up the question about what's to fine of micron rating and how much surface area do you need to last through a full oil change without any oil bypassing?

I may get this oil and filter analyzed. I actually still have some oil and filter from my last oil change that I'm debating if I want to analyze. I used Castrol Edge Extended performance with a Mobile 1 Extended oil filter with ~8500 miles on it. I am always curious about things and why they happen. Money isn't a big issue for me, but even if I learned something, what is it really going to change or improve, probably nothing. You probably can't tell, but being retired gives you more time to contemplate stuff like this, then when your younger and just don't have the time to think about stupid stuff like this, lol.
This is great info, and want to be a little more clear and say that I'm disappointed about all issues with this. I think we'd all agree if these new emission regulations are causing a huge carbon problem, that's not good, and that's issue 1. Issue 2 is I just thought more testing of filters from manufacturers was done. Everyone loves clean oil! I just assumed the top manufacturers would of tested their filters under extreme conditions for multiple miles, and found out they might have too "good" of filters. It sucks we as the truck owner have to find this out for them, and that's really all I'm trying to say.

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
Reading back I do believe I should apologize also. I did let my personal views on a product affect my opinions. That wasn't right to do, and I'm sorry about that. I do stand behind the logistics of what I've said however.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is great info, and want to be a little more clear and say that I'm disappointed about all issues with this. I think we'd all agree if these new emission regulations are causing a huge carbon problem, that's not good, and that's issue 1. Issue 2 is I just thought more testing of filters from manufacturers was done. Everyone loves clean oil! I just assumed the top manufacturers would of tested their filters under extreme conditions for multiple miles, and found out they might have too "good" of filters. It sucks we as the truck owner have to find this out for them, and that's really all I'm trying to say.

Everything is designed to a set of criteria, so the filter is designed to hold the average amount of contaminants from an engine plus say a 33% safety margin. However, these filters likely aren't tested on an actual engine, they use a standardized set of "particles" and run the fluid through the filter. And various standards and mfg specs have various particle dimensions, whether they're round or irregular etc.
If something starts to eat itself inside the engine, it's going to fill the filter up no matter what the micron rating is. But that's not what we're talking about here. What we are talking about is an unexpected occurrence of carbon which happens to get caught by the filter. Nobody could have predicted it would happen, and it appears it may be a small percentage that it happens to. But a few unhappy people make more noise than a lot of happy people...just look at this forum!

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
I guess if I got a bad burger at McDonald's, I wouldn't expect them to replace it with a gift certificate to Burger King. That how I feel about amsoil replacing their filter with a wix.

Bpramz

Reaction score
Got the P1524 engine code today after 4000 miles after oil change. Used amsoil signature 5w20 with the notorious EA15K50 filter. Changed the filter to a mopar OEM filter (for now) and the code went away. Thankful for this forum, as the dealer would have blamed the oil.

Runagun

Reaction score
Got the P1524 engine code today after 4000 miles after oil change. Used amsoil signature 5w20 with the notorious EA15K50 filter. Changed the filter to a mopar OEM filter (for now) and the code went away. Thankful for this forum, as the dealer would have blamed the oil.
How many miles on the motor? I assume the more miles on the motor the more carbon it'll produce.

Runagun

Reaction score
Reading back I do believe I should apologize also. I did let my personal views on a product affect my opinions. That wasn't right to do, and I'm sorry about that. I do stand behind the logistics of what I've said however.

Trying to find wrong with a company cause some sort of biasedness isn't really kosher. I always say if you really want to understand things. Put the other persons shoe on your foot. Instead of playing gotcha. Cause that's what it seem this world is becoming. We can then understand the problem and hopefully fix. This society should be at war with ignorance and stupidity instead of glorifying it all over social media. And really entails questions out own motives and thoughts. I use Amsoil, if there is a better oil out there Id use that instead. I'm not bias to the brand. I want the best oil simple as that. If you don't feel they make good oil. Don't use them. Petroleum industry is hundreds of billions in earnings a year. Amsoil annual revenue is only $500 million. So it ain't a big fish by any means. There's a reason why they compete against the big dogs. And it's not because they make bs oil.

Bpramz

Reaction score
How many miles on the motor? I assume the more miles on the motor the more carbon it'll produce.
Approximately 20,000 miles on the motor. Great customer service from amsoil. They are providing a full oil change on the house!

Runagun

Reaction score
Approximately 20,000 miles on the motor. Great customer service from amsoil. They are providing a full oil change on the house!
Awesome to hear. Generally they've been very good on customer service when I've spoken to them. I suggest Using the flush every oil change. Especially now we know these hemis are producing more carbon. Highly recommended

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
Awesome to hear. Generally they've been very good on customer service when I've spoken to them. I suggest Using the flush every oil change. Especially now we know these hemis are producing more carbon. Highly recommended
Can you show proof that these hemis are producing more carbon? I'm not saying they are or they're not. I've done quite a bit of reading on this and have found some guys ran this filter through normal intervals til 90k, and some never made it to the second oil change. And everything in between. It would seem more likely a bad batch of filters, than the hemis randomly producing more carbon, some with 7000 miles, and others waiting til 90k. Again I'm not saying your wrong. I'm only following this to see if there is indeed a carbon problem, a filter problem, or an oil problem?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ve been running Mobil 1 and wix on all my vehicles for As long as I can remember. Guess I’ll go with Pennzoil and a mopar filter when I change my oil. Don’t wanna void my warranty or anything.

Runagun

Reaction score
Can you show proof that these hemis are producing more carbon? I'm not saying they are or they're not. I've done quite a bit of reading on this and have found some guys ran this filter through normal intervals til 90k, and some never made it to the second oil change. And everything in between. It would seem more likely a bad batch of filters, than the hemis randomly producing more carbon, some with 7000 miles, and others waiting til 90k. Again I'm not saying your wrong. I'm only following this to see if there is indeed a carbon problem, a filter problem, or an oil problem?

This was thru Amsoil customer rep. The filter wasn't pulled from amsoil. It just not recommended from Amsoil for the ram at this time. I had 28k miles on my 1500 without a problem. First oil change I did was @4k used flush and after every charged put @10k miles on the oil and filter. But I used flush on every oil change. This is the program I'm going to do with my '21 1500

RRSBighorn

Reaction score

The curiosity side of me decided to look into this more. I am going to send oil samples from my last oil change that I kept and oil from when I just changed from the Amsoil EA15k50 filter to the Wix filter sent to me as a replacement. I am also going to do my own testing for solids in the Mobil 1 Extended filter I used and the Amsoil filter I just took out.

So I've opened up both filters using a standard kitchen can opener. I had to use a small chisel to complete the removal of the tops. The filter media pleats are just cut out with a razor knife. The first observations were that Mobil 1 Extened and the Amsoil filter housings are definitely made by the same manufacturer. There is probably only a handful of manufacturers for oil filter housings. Mobil and Amsoil probably just specify the filtering media and each has there Logo put on the housing. The reason I bring this up is every part of the housing is identical, including the bypass valves.
20210425_121557.jpg 20210425_123019.jpg 20210425_123159.jpg
I checked the bypass, and there wasn't anything on the seat that would be allowing continuous leakage and the spring rate felt the same in both filter housings. So I think problem had to be a plugged filter element.
The pleated elements are very different, the Mobil 1 is a thin paper filter, the Amsoil is a fabric bonded to a screen and was thicker, similar to a K&N air filter element. I didn't observe any large carbon particles, but I noticed more metal in the Mobile 1 filter, but that was only the second oil change and had over 8.5k miles compared to the 3.4k miles on the Amsoil filter.

At Blackstone Labs, they can analyze the filter elements but I don't want to spend $75ea plus the $30ea for oil analysis. I worked in the oil refining industry for 40+ years and have lab experience testing different crude cuts for solids, so I will make up my own test, even though it won't meet ASTM standards. I want to compare the solids content and compare the filters. This along with the Insolubles from the oil test will hopefully give some insight on % total solids in oil and filter.

I'm not sure anyone is interested in this, but as I said, I am, especially since I spent my whole career in R&D.

Users who are viewing this thread