5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIS) Error code P1524

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To the amsoil guys. Are you using amsoil flush whenever you change the oil? Just curious. I'm not sure if I have a ea15k50 filter left. If I don't, I'll probably use fram ultra with amsoil.
No, the flush is meant to clean a dirty engine. So say someone had been using conventional oil and you know it's built up sludge inside the engine, then you would run the flush before the change to get that crap cleaned out.
As for the ea15k50, it seems people who have always run AMSOIL oil and that filter may not have an issue with the fault codes and oil pressure. However people who are switching to AMSOIL and using the filter seem to be having issues, likely due to the oil cleaning better and all that crap getting flushed into the filter. They are a high efficiency filter but still crammed into that small stock size housing, there's only so much room for filter media before it affects the flow of the oil. The filters are filling up with debris before the change interval is reached, and thus higher restriction through the filter and lower oil pressure to the oil galley and everything else inside the engine.

I have two ea15k50s that I had ordered to run on my 1500, I am going to run them on my 2500 but I will be keeping an eye on oil pressure as this truck was used. So we'll see what happens.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Runagun

Reaction score
No, the flush is meant to clean a dirty engine. So say someone had been using conventional oil and you know it's built up sludge inside the engine, then you would run the flush before the change to get that crap cleaned out.
As for the ea15k50, it seems people who have always run AMSOIL oil and that filter may not have an issue with the fault codes and oil pressure. However people who are switching to AMSOIL and using the filter seem to be having issues, likely due to the oil cleaning better and all that crap getting flushed into the filter. They are a high efficiency filter but still crammed into that small stock size housing, there's only so much room for filter media before it affects the flow of the oil. The filters are filling up with debris before the change interval is reached, and thus higher restriction through the filter and lower oil pressure to the oil galley and everything else inside the engine.

I have two ea15k50s that I had ordered to run on my 1500, I am going to run them on my 2500 but I will be keeping an eye on oil pressure as this truck was used. So we'll see what happens.

Well I'm wonder, everytime I changed my oil I'd run the flush right before. Even amsoil -amsoil oil change. While I didn't experience the light turning on. I did notice my oil pressure dropping to the 30s. 6kmiles was on the oil &filter @ the time.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well I'm wonder, everytime I changed my oil I'd run the flush right before. Even amsoil -amsoil oil change. While I didn't experience the light turning on. I did notice my oil pressure dropping to the 30s. 6kmiles was on the oil &filter @ the time.
30 is fine. I thrashed my truck in the sand a few weeks ago and the oil temp was up to 230 F, oil pressure was 22 psi at idle in park

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, down to 30 is definitely fine. Only time I saw less was when pulling off the highway while towing and my oil temp was up to 230-240. There's speculation that long periods of idle with hot oil is what causes the cam/lifter failures, it's hard to know for sure though. With AMSOIL and using the OLM, I would not expect any issues from the Hemi.
As for the flush every time, I think that's definitely overkill and not something that I would recommend. If it's been running AMSOIL, there's enough detergents in the oil to keep everything clean under normal conditions.

Runagun

Reaction score
As for the flush every time, I think that's definitely overkill and not something that I would recommend. If it's been running AMSOIL, there's enough detergents in the oil to keep everything clean under normal conditions.
In a way that's my point with the flush. I think its what help me not having the light to turn on... I'm using ss with 10k+ oil change intervals. Something is contaminating the oil filter to drop the pressure.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In a way that's my point with the flush. I think its what help me not having the light to turn on... I'm using ss with 10k+ oil change intervals. Something is contaminating the oil filter to drop the pressure.
Signature Series has more than enough detergents in it, I wouldn't bother with the flush unless you run into issues.
It's normal to see oil pressure fluctuate throughout the life of the oil, sometimes oils will gain or lose viscosity. But in the case of the Ea filter, it's got such fine filtration that it captures almost everything that goes into it(other than oil of course). Then the filter media gets full of the wear metals, combustion byproducts, dirt etc. from the engine oil and it slowly blocks more and more of the flow through the filter. Now this in and of itself is not really an issue, it's what always happens to the filter. The issue comes when you block enough of the filter flow that it begins opening the bypass valve in the filter, that's when it becomes detrimental to engine life.
I suspect the reason that they increased the the bypass pressure for the new smaller filter is because of the reduced debris capacity of the filter and they want to ensure the filter won't bypass unless it absolutely needs to.

Regardless, if you're not seeing the fault codes then I would not change what you're doing(other than not using the flush) as you are not plugging the filter enough. What I've explained is the severe case and does not appear to be what you're experiencing.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
This seems to be isolated to both rams and gm trucks with active fuel management. If you have the filter just watch your oil pressures. I had the issue with the line being on and it made me uneasy seeing the oil pressure at 32psi while driving on the highway at 75mph knowing that it is typically in the 50-60psi range. This filter has been removed from their locator for now. Wix filters are an excellent replacements especially their XP line.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
Official statement as of March 4th

AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filter Temporarily Not Recommended for Select Ram and GM Applications​

March 4, 2021 - Announcement

AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filter Temporarily Not Recommended for Select Ram and GM Applications
We are no longer recommending the AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filter for 2007-2013 GM vehicles with the 5.3L engine and 2013-current Ram vehicles with the 5.7L or 6.4L engines. There is no cause for alarm if you or one of your customers is using the EA15K50 Filter with one of the listed vehicles; we are acting out of an abundance of caution. We have sold thousands of AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filters to customers with one of the GM or Ram engines listed above. A very small percentage of those customers have reported gauges or check-engine lights indicating slightly lower than normal oil pressure.

Our industry-leading high-efficiency media removes more particles of smaller sizes than most competing filters to better prevent engine wear. In the GM and Ram applications listed, the EA15K50 Filter is capturing a large number of deposits and reaching its holding capacity before the end of its recommended service life in a small number of instances. This can result in reduced flow and overall oil pressure, but in no way harms the engine. AMSOIL Oil Filters include a bypass relief valve to ensure appropriate oil volume is always delivered to critical components.

Rather than cause some customers unnecessary concern, we are recommending the WIX 57060 or Donaldson P550794 in place of the EA15K50 in 2007-2013 GM 5.3L engines and 2013-current Ram 5.7L and 6.4L engines. They are high-quality filters, but will not capture as many small particles as the AMSOIL Oil Filter does, and they are designed for shorter service intervals.

Watch the Dealer Zone for updates. If you have questions, contact Technical Services at [email protected] or (715) 399-TECH.

FAQ

I used the EA15K50 Oil Filter with one of the affected GM or Ram engines before. Can I continue to do so?

Yes, but it should be changed at the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended change interval. We no longer recommend this filter for up to 15,000 miles in these engines.

Did using the EA15K50 Oil Filter harm my vehicle?
No. The filter includes a bypass relief valve to ensure appropriate oil volume is always delivered to critical components.

Can I still practice extended drain intervals with Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil in these engines?
Yes, but only if you change the WIX or Donaldson filter at the manufacturer’s recommended service interval and top off the oil after the filter change.

Is there any benefit to using Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil if I don’t want to change filters to get extended drain intervals?
Yes, Signature Series contains a robust package of detergents and dispersants to protect against the deposits produced by these engines.

What can I do to combat these oil deposits?
We recommend using Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil and changing the WIX or Donaldson filter at the manufacturer’s recommended interval. We also recommend using AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush (FLSH) every-other oil change.

Will AMSOIL offer another extended drain filter for these engines?
We are conducting additional research and development with the goal of once again supplying a high-efficiency, extended-life filtration option.

Runagun

Reaction score
What can I do to combat these oil deposits?
We recommend using Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil and changing the WIX or Donaldson filter at the manufacturer’s recommended interval. We also recommend using AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush (FLSH) every-other oil change.
So they do recommend using the flush even on amsoil- amsoil changes. I thought so. While I do it on every oil change they recommend every other. I wonder if that's why I never got the light on.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
So they do recommend using the flush even on amsoil- amsoil changes. I thought so. While I do it on every oil change they recommend every other. I wonder if that's why I never got the light on.
Yea I cant really reply to that as have never been a flush guy per say, In my case I changed the factory oil and filter at 3500 at new, and then put on the Amsoil filter and signature 5w20 and I started to get the MIL light just before 5000 was coming up. It did intermittently come and go and I did not like seeing my oild PSI that low.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It also depends on the cycle of the engine, as early as what stryker is saying and there could still be lots of debris shedding and plugging the filter. Start with the filter at 10k and maybe it's fine because all the break in wear is done.
Lot's of variables at play, If you're still going to use the AMSOIL filter. They now recommend not exceeding the OLM interval for the filter, and you just change the filter and top off and keep going. The other option is just watch your oil pressure and change the filter when you have seen a significant change. Or just use an alternate filter brand or use the larger early 5.7 filter.

It sounds like something is in the works for the future for these applications, I have not heard any timing though.

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
I just got the P1524 code less than a week ago with about 20K miles on it. I'm using Amsoil XL 5W-20 oil with the EA15k50 filter. When I first got the code while driving home from work, ~ 1/2 hour or so on the highway running 70-80 mph, I checked my oil pressure, it seemed ok, in the 40 psi range. From memory I thought the pressure was normally higher than that but don't look at it much. I checked it at home after I scanned the code, seemed not go below 30 psi at idle, but never went much above mid 40's at higher RPM's. I just dropped it at the dealer today, as I drove there the MIL went out. The dealer saw the stored code and is going to check it out, but haven't heard anything yet.

After reading through this thread, I'm going to replace the EA15K50 with the a new filter, just to be on the safe side. I only have about 3.5K miles on this oil and filter, the filter shouldn't be anywhere near full capacity, but I don't really need the extra micron filtration, since I don't do extended oil changes past what Ram recommends. I'll comment back if the dealer comes up with something, but the service manager didn't seem very confident they would find anything since the MIL went off, they wanted me to take it home. I hadn't read this yet and told them to check it out more thoroughly. I gave them the receipt for the oil and filter I used, it will be interesting to see if they try to blame the oil. I will document the oil pressure at a given temperature with the EA15K50 vs the new filter when I get it.

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with tech support from Amsoil. They are sending me a new Wix filter and 2 quarts of the XL 5W-20 oil I use for free, to replace my Amsoil filter and lost oil during replacement.

I had some discussions with the tech, the problem seems to be with some, but not all Rams, generating more carbon fines than others. They have collected used oil filters from Nov last year to sometime in Feb/Mar this year. The oil filters collected were all inspected for filter element problems, and none were found, they all met the quality control specs. What they found in these filters is an excess of carbon particulate, dirt and other debris plugging the filter element. Their engineering is working on the problem and trying to come up with a solution, in the mean time recommending using the Wix filter.

The Wix filter they are sending me is a 20 micron rated filter, which is the same as the Amsoil filter rating. The difference is in the material used, the Amsoil filter is a full synthetic material, where the Wix is semi-synthetic. I work with filters in the process industry, and filtration can be easily misunderstood. You can have 2 filter manufacturers that claim 20 microns filtration, but the ratings are measured differently. One manufacturer can use use a rating that says it filters out 20 micron particles absolute, where another manufacturer can say that the 20 micron rating is nominal. What that means is most of the particles captured are 20 microns or larger, but may allow some to pass through, in other words it's not an absolute 20 micron rating. So that's just a little more info about what's going on. I'll be interested in hearing what the Ram dealer comes back with.

Absolute vs Nominal explanation:
https://www.qualityhydraulics.com/blog/filtration/absolute-vs-nominal-filter-ratings

Last edited:

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got the P1524 code less than a week ago with about 20K miles on it. I'm using Amsoil XL 5W-20 oil with the EA15k50 filter. When I first got the code while driving home from work, ~ 1/2 hour or so on the highway running 70-80 mph, I checked my oil pressure, it seemed ok, in the 40 psi range. From memory I thought the pressure was normally higher than that but don't look at it much. I checked it at home after I scanned the code, seemed not go below 30 psi at idle, but never went much above mid 40's at higher RPM's. I just dropped it at the dealer today, as I drove there the MIL went out. The dealer saw the stored code and is going to check it out, but haven't heard anything yet.

After reading through this thread, I'm going to replace the EA15K50 with the a new filter, just to be on the safe side. I only have about 3.5K miles on this oil and filter, the filter shouldn't be anywhere near full capacity, but I don't really need the extra micron filtration, since I don't do extended oil changes past what Ram recommends. I'll comment back if the dealer comes up with something, but the service manager didn't seem very confident they would find anything since the MIL went off, they wanted me to take it home. I hadn't read this yet and told them to check it out more thoroughly. I gave them the receipt for the oil and filter I used, it will be interesting to see if they try to blame the oil. I will document the oil pressure at a given temperature with the EA15K50 vs the new filter when I get it.
Was this your first time running the AMSOIL filter? Just change the filter and you'll be fine.
The small filter housing doesn't allow for the extra filter media that the filter needs to be there when the filtration efficiency is increased. So you end up with decreased debris capacity.

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
Was this your first time running the AMSOIL filter? Just change the filter and you'll be fine.
The small filter housing doesn't allow for the extra filter media that the filter needs to be there when the filtration efficiency is increased. So you end up with decreased debris capacity.
Maybe you didn't see my second post, Amsoil is sending me a new Wix filter. This is on my second oil, 1st using Amsoil, oil and filter. The first one I used Castrol Edge Extended with Mobil 1 filter, with no issues. My concern is I only have ~3300 miles on this oil and filter on Amsoil, there's no way the filter regardless of size should be loading up this quick. Hopefully this isn't an indication of some other internal engine issue. As I said above, the Amsoil tech guy said they found no problems with the filter themselves, they are used in other vehicles with no problem. Amsoil only pulled the filters from the Ram and certain GM products as the recommended filter, suggesting Wix for the interm, that are showing similar issues.
My 2011 Silverado started showing issues of carbon fouling that started in 2007 version when the cylinder deactivation started on the 5.3L engines, that why I went to the Ram. Hopefully whatever Rams version of the cylinder deactivation isn't producing a bunch more carbon, that's what Amsoil is trying to figure out, I'm assuming with cooperation from Ram.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe you didn't see my second post, Amsoil is sending me a new Wix filter. This is on my second oil, 1st using Amsoil, oil and filter. The first one I used Castrol Edge Extended with Mobil 1 filter, with no issues. My concern is I only have ~3300 miles on this oil and filter on Amsoil, there's no way the filter regardless of size should be loading up this quick. Hopefully this isn't an indication of some other internal engine issue. As I said above, the Amsoil tech guy said they found no problems with the filter themselves, they are used in other vehicles with no problem. Amsoil only pulled the filters from the Ram and certain GM products as the recommended filter, suggesting Wix for the interm, that are showing similar issues.
My 2011 Silverado started showing issues of carbon fouling that started in 2007 version when the cylinder deactivation started on the 5.3L engines, that why I went to the Ram. Hopefully whatever Rams version of the cylinder deactivation isn't producing a bunch more carbon, that's what Amsoil is trying to figure out, I'm assuming with cooperation from Ram.

Yeah...got pulled away from my computer before I could post it.
I was theorizing that it's occuring with the first, maybe second too, AMSOIL filter used. And it's the junk left over inside the engine from other oil or what other filters haven't collected.
Though I'm going to guess that maybe that's not the case, based on your conversation with the tech line.
It would be nice if ram would work with them, but I doubt it. Ram is going to say there's no issues with their engine.

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
Here's a follow up on the P1524 code. The day I took truck to Ram dealer, the code cleared by itself on the way there. They saw the stored code and did some more diagnostics, including test drive and couldn't find anything and code didn't come back. so they gave it back and said to call them if it comes back.

Driving to work today 40 miles, early morning temps in 30's, running at 75 mph , no MIL, oil pressure high 30's at ~215F. Coming home outside temps near 50F, the the light went on, I monitored the gauges. Cruising at 75 mph, oil pressure 31-33 at 215F. At home, check pressure, in the upper 20's at idle, pressure wouldn't get to 40 running rpms up to ~3k.

The new Wix filter from AMSOil was delivered today, so I let the oil cool a little and changed the filter. Observation, oil coffee color, seemed darker than I would of expected with only ~3400 miles on oil. I cleared the P1524 code. When I restarted the truck at idle, the pressure immediately went up to 49 psig @143F. Left it warm up some, 34 psi @190F at idle. Decided to take it out on the highway to warm up, running at 75mph, oil pressure @49 psi @215F. Rev the engine to 3k, pressure goes over 50psi.

My guess is my Amsoil filter bypass was partially open bypassing oil, so pressure wouldn't get out of the 30's. Makes me wonder the bypass in those filters are the problem. Amsoil says the elements have been getting plugged, but seriously, how can a truck with 20K on it, and only ~3400 on this oil change plug an oil filter? Anyway I'm fairly confident, the P1524 won't come back. I'll stick with the Wix filter from now on.

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
I love the remedy. Send you a wix filter. But not enough oil for an entire change lol. Never been a fan of over priced hype, and amsoil is proving once again, that's all they are. Sorry for your troubles though.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a follow up on the P1524 code. The day I took truck to Ram dealer, the code cleared by itself on the way there. They saw the stored code and did some more diagnostics, including test drive and couldn't find anything and code didn't come back. so they gave it back and said to call them if it comes back.

Driving to work today 40 miles, early morning temps in 30's, running at 75 mph , no MIL, oil pressure high 30's at ~215F. Coming home outside temps near 50F, the the light went on, I monitored the gauges. Cruising at 75 mph, oil pressure 31-33 at 215F. At home, check pressure, in the upper 20's at idle, pressure wouldn't get to 40 running rpms up to ~3k.

The new Wix filter from AMSOil was delivered today, so I let the oil cool a little and changed the filter. Observation, oil coffee color, seemed darker than I would of expected with only ~3400 miles on oil. I cleared the P1524 code. When I restarted the truck at idle, the pressure immediately went up to 49 psig @143F. Left it warm up some, 34 psi @190F at idle. Decided to take it out on the highway to warm up, running at 75mph, oil pressure @49 psi @215F. Rev the engine to 3k, pressure goes over 50psi.

My guess is my Amsoil filter bypass was partially open bypassing oil, so pressure wouldn't get out of the 30's. Makes me wonder the bypass in those filters are the problem. Amsoil says the elements have been getting plugged, but seriously, how can a truck with 20K on it, and only ~3400 on this oil change plug an oil filter? Anyway I'm fairly confident, the P1524 won't come back. I'll stick with the Wix filter from now on.
There's only so much room inside that tiny housing for debris and media, the finer filtration means that the filter will catch more debris than other filters.
If you want to stick to an AMSOIL filter, then run the EAO11. It's the filter that's spec'd for older 5.7's with the biggest difference being the size of the housing, should help with the filter filling up so quickly.

I love the remedy. Send you a wix filter. But not enough oil for an entire change lol. Never been a fan of over priced hype, and amsoil is proving once again, that's all they are. Sorry for your troubles though.

It's enough to top off after the filter change, and that's all that needs to happen. WIX is still a really good filter, just not as good of a micron rating.
There's a lot of other companies out there that would hang you out to dry and not respond...but that's not how AMSOIL does business. Check out the oil analysis HERE that I did with OE and a wix filter. My 2500 has Signature Series in it and I will be doing oil analysis on it as well.

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
Fan boys will fan, and cheerleaders will cheer. But sounds like this amsoil filter has some serious problems that could lead to
premature internal engine wear. And for that reason, I'm out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online