5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIS) Error code P1524

Johnwi

Reaction score
2020 Ram 1500 Limited gas. 9,485 miles. About a week ago my Malfunction Indicator Light (MIS) This is the engine icon light in yellow on dash. The light stayed illuminated so I called and made an appointment with my dealer. The light stayed on for several days and of course the morning I left to go to my appointment, the light went out. I had no driving issues or strange noises and oil level was fine. The only thing I noticed was that the remote start would start the vehicle via remote or Uconnect but shut off after about 3 seconds. I presume this is because there’s a warming light on so for safety it won’t allow you to remote start.

I had my dealer read the error code and it stated code P1524. Code states incorrect oil. The tech checked oil level and it was good. Tech made the following notes on repair order: Tech noted customer brought own oil in for last oil change. Advise correct oil and type must be followed. My first oil change was completed at 5,000 miles and I know have 9,485 miles on truck. The service manager asked what oil I brought in and I told him Amsoil Signsture Series 5w-20 Synthetic motor oil. He said I need to make sure I put the correct oil in but didn’t suggest what kind or that I needed to remove the existing oil. I told him I didn’t understand how the oil could be the problem as Amsoil meets or exceeds the Dodge specifications in the owners manual. I made sure of that before putting it in. The service writer said he’s seen this before on another dodge truck that used Amsoil as well.

I left the dealership and had lunch. Came back out to my truck and pulled away and the light came on again. Called the dealership and they said I can’t get in until Monday and today is Thursday. I told the dealership that I wasn’t happy with them stating on the work order that I used the incorrect oil in my vehicle. This could obviously have warranty implications later on if I have an issue and they say we’re not covering your repairs because we see you used the wrong oil. When I googled that specific code all I can find is a possible throttle position sensor or oil sensor. I’m going to take the truck to a different dealer on Monday and get a second opinion. Anyone have any suggestions?

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm...wierd. where did you get the oil?

My first suggestion is to keep all receipts for everything, and change the oil to a different brand like pensoil.

Then see if you can get that amsoil tested to make sure. That test can provide you plenty of good info, like viscosity, and confirm you bought the right brand. Hell...maybe the dealer took your oil, and gave you crappy oil. That test will show you that.

This is a tough one for the dealer...just because you gave them the oil to put in, that doesn't mean you are in the clear...its not their oil...unless you can prove to them that they didn't put in the right oil in your car.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie (leveled with 2" rc struts and 1" rear spacer on 33.5" toyo open country) , 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

Johnwi

Reaction score
After doing some more research, it may be the Amsoil oil filter I used. I’m going to switch filters and see if that resolves the problem. Found this video on YouTube with the exact same problem on an older Ram.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Which filter did you use, the one that is spec'd for the truck or the older filter which is larger?
I haven't had issues with the WIX filters I've used but do have an AMSOIL filter to go on with my next change.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Johnwi

Reaction score
I used an Amsoil EA15K50. This is the filter that was specified for my truck by Amsoil

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm. Ok.
You might be able to call tech support and see what they say, at the least they might offer to send you a new filter.

I'm wondering how they set that code, like what criteria they use.

Johnwi

Reaction score
Which filter did you use, the one that is spec'd for the truck or the older filter which is larger?
I haven't had issues with the WIX filters I've used but do have an AMSOIL filter to go on with my next change.

Johnwi

Reaction score
I will be calling Amsoil first thing Monday morning to see what they say. I guarantee it’s not the oil.

Runagun

Reaction score
Yeah I never would have taken my own oil to the dealer. Find a reputable oil change shop then bring your own oil. Then for sure you can see them changing it with your own oil. Check to make sure the dipstick has enough oil... What's the oil pressure readings on the computer?

Johnwi

Reaction score
Yeah I never would have taken my own oil to the dealer. Find a reputable oil change shop then bring your own oil. Then for sure you can see them changing it with your own oil. Check to make sure the dipstick has enough oil... What's the oil pressure readings on the computer?
I need to check that out yet. I’m going to swap out the oil filter first

Johnwi

Reaction score
I spoke to a Amsoil tech this morning and he agrees it’s not the oil. He said theres about 4-5 pages of information on what that error code may be and it sounded to him like the service tech from the dealership probably just fixated on the first code that was displayed rather than looking further. I‘m at a different dealership today to have them diagnose the issue. They just came out and told me my truck needs a bunch of software updates and feel this may be the cause of the MIL staying on. They said it will take about an hour. I’ll keep you posted

Johnwi

Reaction score
They updated the software and found and also checked engine oil pressure sensor circuits-cidu it’s good, no resistance issues or shorts to voltage or ground. Found engine oil pressure sensor is defective-high resistance. Replaced oil pressure sensor and cleared DTC. Road tested-ok..

I left dealership and about 3 miles away the MIL came back on. I callled dealership and I have to return on Wednesday for another appointmen.

Johnwi

Reaction score
I took my truck back to the dealership yesterday for further diagnosis. They weren’t able to find anything else wrong with the truck so the last thing they said that was left on the list was replacing the oil filter. They replaced existing Amsoil filter with a Mopar filter. So far, MIL light has now turned off and vehicle is driving like normal. I contacted Amsoil again and informed them of what was done. I also provided them with the batch code of the Amsoil filter in case they needed it. They didn’t offer any suggestions or thoughts on what the issue of the MIL could be. I’ll advise on a few weeks of how things are progressing but as for now, it appears to point towards the Amsoil filter. No clue why

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What do your oil pressures look like with the AMSOIL filter vs the Mopar filter? Try to get numbers from the same temp and RPM range.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took my truck back to the dealership yesterday for further diagnosis. They weren’t able to find anything else wrong with the truck so the last thing they said that was left on the list was replacing the oil filter. They replaced existing Amsoil filter with a Mopar filter. So far, MIL light has now turned off and vehicle is driving like normal. I contacted Amsoil again and informed them of what was done. I also provided them with the batch code of the Amsoil filter in case they needed it. They didn’t offer any suggestions or thoughts on what the issue of the MIL could be. I’ll advise on a few weeks of how things are progressing but as for now, it appears to point towards the Amsoil filter. No clue why
First, Ram has been using their smaller oil filter (MO-399) since at least 2015 on the 5.7 without any problems.

The "clue," if you will is the drop in oil pressure with the Amsoil filter. The only way that could occur on an otherwise correctly assembled and correct application filter, is the filter's bypass valve is opening prematurely.

I'm doubtful it's an oil problem.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045223 miles.

Johnwi

Reaction score
The only oil pressure readings I happened to record was when the vehicle was parked and at idle. The oil Pressure read 35psi with Amsoil filter at idle and the Mopar filter read 49psi

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You could easily have those two readings on the same filter at 70F and then at 190F so oil temp would be very important.
The only thing I can figure is that the AMSOIL filter, which has a higher efficiency, has too much restriction and is possibly restricting flow.
I wonder if going to the 25k filter for the earlier 5.7's (the larger filter housing) would change that?

Johnwi

Reaction score
You could easily have those two readings on the same filter at 70F and then at 190F so oil temp would be very important.
The only thing I can figure is that the AMSOIL filter, which has a higher efficiency, has too much restriction and is possibly restricting flow.
I wonder if going to the 25k filter for the earlier 5.7's (the larger filter housing) would change that?
That’s a good question. In the previous attached YouTube video that is what the guy was going to do. He was going to install the larger media filter at his next oil change.

Zolazar

Reaction score
I too am having this same issue. I changed the oil and filter myself, purchased direct from Amsoil. My dealer says it's the oil. I disagree as most do! I'd watched the same video and am suspicious of the filter as well. I'm shocked Amsoil was no help and now have doubts about even calling them.

Have you had any issues since the filter change? I have a hard time sitting idle so I'll probably change the filter just to give me something to do. lol

Johnwi

Reaction score
I’ve had no issues since changing the oil filter back to the Mopar filter. It’s been about 12 days now and the MIL light has not come back on. The oil pressure increased a bit when switching to the OEM oil filter. It’s around 55-58psi at 1500rpm. Funny how the dealer says it the oil. That’s crap. As soon as the dealer I purchased the truck from told me that, I called another dealership and made an appointment with them to have the problem looked at. The second dealer actually hooked up the truck to a computer instead of just a code reader and started diagnosing the issue. They did about an hours with of updates to the truck. My original dealer never even checked this or was lazy.

Users who are viewing this thread