5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIS) Error code P1524

hdgmctruck04

Reaction score
I just encountered this same issue yesterday. I am and will always be an AMSOIL preferred customer and fan. And I have been running AMSOIL since the truck was brand new. I now have 70K on it. But I noticed that last oil order the AMSOIL website did not list the AMSOIL filter, just a WIX filter. I manually ordered the filter # from all of my previous orders. I have approx. 7K on this oil change and on my way into work yesterday bam the light came on. I noticed 2 days earlier the oil pressure was running a little low. 30-36. With AMSOIL I run no less that 43. Ever. So I called my buddy at the dealer and he ran down and checked my code. Talked to him, and we both decided it was best I should try an oil change. The dealer screwed up my oil change last time, and we were concerned the lube tech did something because he was pi$$ed he had to stay late on Friday and fix his screw up. Like put an old or incorrect filter on.

They did oil change, and my buddy ( service writer ) made sure it was done right. It's hard to fill oil with my MOPAR RAM AIR kit on, and the tech was B!tching about it. But he brought truck back and oil pressure is back to more normal operating pressures. It seems a little low once warmed up and idle, about 36PSI. I originally came here to see if anyone has posted operating oil pressures and stumbled into this thread. Very glad I did. Looks like AMSOIL has some answering to do.

What idle oil pressure is everyone seeing running MOPAR synthetic oil and filter?

Zolazar

Reaction score
I am convinced it was the AMSOIL filter! I changed to a PurolatorBOSS filter, left existing AMSOIL oil, topped it off of course and instantly could tell a difference!

PSI went from 35-45 idle warmed up to 50-60. I now see the ECO coming on way more often and my MPG is going up. Had a buddy turn off the check engine MIS and haven't seen it since!

Stryker6040

Reaction score
I too just had this issue with the P1524 code, running Amsoil 5w20 and their EA filter, Im an Amsoil dealer and just noticed the filter is no longer available. I cant seem to find any info on this filter currently as well. When this happen the other night it was around 5-10 outside at idle it was 33-32psi and while driving 40-42. I think your on to something with the filter.

banditsc

Reaction score
I am probably on my 4th oil change with the Amsoil EA15K50 filter and Amsoil XL 5W-20 oil and have never had any issues at all with it.

hdgmctruck04

Reaction score
I have used AMSOIL since week 1 after buying the truck brand new, and I have 70K on it now. Change it 12-13K. This was the first issue I have had. It was approx 7300 miles into this oil change cycle.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"wrong oil"...HA HA HA...dealers say the craziest things. What a load. Amsoil 5-20 SYN, is good stuff. A bad run of filters I can see possibly causing an issue, but not that oil.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
I am seeing chatter from guys on the amsoil dealer forums having issues with this filter EA15K50. Seems to all be hemis and gm trucks with afm or cylinder deactivation. I will continue to monitor the forum for updates

Kev77

Reaction score
The only oil pressure readings I happened to record was when the vehicle was parked and at idle. The oil Pressure read 35psi with Amsoil filter at idle and the Mopar filter read 49psi
Johnwi, i have a 2020 Rebel with 8K miles. I also changed my oil and filter to Amsoil. My engine light came on just the other evening so i took it straight to the dealer the next morning. The code was a P1524 OIL PRESSURE OUT OF RANGE. The oil life was still at 43% and the oil pressure before i dropped it off was ~33 psi. They (dealer) recommended changing the oil and filter. I have approximately 6k miles on the Amsoil oil. I called the Amsoil tech line and he quickly recommended changing the filter to a WIX. Which is what they seem to have as their recommended filters now. I changed the filter (NAPA Gold/WIX) and immediately regained my startup pressure of ~50-52 psi. After a 45 mile drive to work this evening the idle pressure was still ~30psi as recommended by the dealer technician.. Long story short, Amsoil filter not too good on these particular engines. I did ask the dealer tech what the alarm point is for the engine light to come on and i didnt get an answer... obviously lower than 27 at least. Hope this helps

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is my 2nd Hemi, both idle(d) at 24-26 psi when the oil is hot (220 F). On cold start it's 60 psi. Wix XP with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-20. My truck got a work out in the sand the other day and the oil hit 230F, 22 psi at idle. Check engine light did not come on. The check engine code in this case might be for oil pressure too high

Kev77

Reaction score
This is my 2nd Hemi, both idle(d) at 24-26 psi when the oil is hot (220 F). On cold start it's 60 psi. Wix XP with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-20. My truck got a work out in the sand the other day and the oil hit 230F, 22 psi at idle. Check engine light did not come on. The check engine code in this case might be for oil pressure too high
You may be exactly right... unfortunately I wasn’t watching the pressure when the light actually came on. It was a few minutes later as i was scrolling through checking the temps and pressures. At that point the pressure was reading about 35psi. Thanks for the reply.

banditsc

Reaction score
From Amsoil

"The issues we have been experiencing with the Ram pickups is related to these engines is the EA15k50 prematurely filling to capacity, and then going into bypass mode. When this has occured, all that is necessary to do is change the oil filter, and top off the oil level and the oil pressure will return to normal. The EA15k50 does not cause any damage to the engines, however, an engine light will come on to alert you of the lower oil pressure. AMSOIL has identified the vehicles that could experience this issue with the EA15k50, and we are recommending to use the WIX filter at the factory OEM intervals at this time while we continue to investigate. If you are not experiencing any issues with the EA15k50, it will still be fine to use, however, there is the possibility the filter will not last up to the 15,000 miles, 1 year interval."

Stryker6040

Reaction score
EA15K50 Removed from Lookup Guides for these Vehicles

· Ram with 5.7L and 6.4L = 2013 to current

· GM with 5.3L = 2007 to 2013

Some customers that have used the AMSOIL Ea15k50 oil filter, with the identified vehicles listed above, have experienced low oil pressure indicators while operating their vehicles. Typical symptoms include check engine lights and visual loss of oil pressure on the gauges. This situation does not affect all these vehicles, but some vehicles are affected more than others.

Through AMSOIL testing and research with technology partners, we have learned the problem occurs with any oil filter but is exacerbated by high-performance filters like AMSOIL Oil Filters. Our high-efficiency media filters out more particles of smaller sizes than most other filters, reducing flow and overall oil pressure. In no way will this oil-pressure reduction affect the engine; AMSOIL Oil Filters include bypass relief valves to ensure appropriate oil volume to critical components.

Because AMSOIL Oil Filters provide higher efficiency than OEM and other aftermarket filters (WIX, FRAM, Mobil, Donaldson), they capture more deposits, helping reduce engine wear. Unfortunately, due to the large amount of deposits being captured by the AMSOIL Ea15k50 oil filters, the filter is plugging before the end of its recommended service interval. For these vehicles, we are recommending using a WIX or Donaldson oil filter in place of your AMSOIL Oil Filter. WIX and Donaldson filters are designed with the OEM service interval in mind and are better suited for more frequent changes.

Johnwi

Reaction score
Well, it’s been about a month now since the oil filter change and I’ve had now issues with the MIL coming on as of yet. One thing I did notice when logging into the Amsoil site for my vehicle is that they have removed the Amsoil Ea oil filter when looking up my vehicle. They now suggest a Wix or Donaldson filter

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, it’s been about a month now since the oil filter change and I’ve had now issues with the MIL coming on as of yet. One thing I did notice when logging into the Amsoil site for my vehicle is that they have removed the Amsoil Ea oil filter when looking up my vehicle. They now suggest a Wix or Donaldson filter
Yup, noticed that too. Ended up throwing the wix I had on my 1500 because I didn't want to have to deal with it on my way to trade in. Plan to try it with my 6.4 and we'll see what happens, not holding out a lot of hope. It will clean the hell out of the oil though. Lol

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've used both WIX 57060XP and the Mobil 1 M1-113 with no issues.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Just my personal opinion, and to each their own. These trucks were built and engineered to have a mopar filter run on them. All of my oil changes get a mopar filter. Period.

The oil debate is an age old tale, and everyone has their own flavor preference. Personally I love mobile 1 full synthetic. The last 2 oil changes on my truck have been with the rotella gas truck full synthetic. I used to run the T6 in my diesel, and treated me right. So once they released a gas truck oil, I jumped on it.

Runagun

Reaction score
To the amsoil guys. Are you using amsoil flush whenever you change the oil? Just curious. I'm not sure if I have a ea15k50 filter left. If I don't, I'll probably use fram ultra with amsoil.

Johnwi

Reaction score
To the amsoil guys. Are you using amsoil flush whenever you change the oil? Just curious. I'm not sure if I have a ea15k50 filter left. If I don't, I'll probably use fram ultra with amsoil.
No, I’m not using an Amsoil flush. I think everything points to the Amsoil oil filter being to restrictive. These are extended life oil filters designed to run longer between oil changes and have finer filtration. I’ve been using these filters for 20 years in my Fords with no issues but I guess the new Rams just don’t like them.

Users who are viewing this thread