5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make Your Own TRX!

ereeber

Reaction score
What if you just buy an actual TRX front Bumper? Of have a custom Desert Runner bumper made?
We looked into the TRX bumper and, believe it or not, it's the same size as the regular Rebel's. If you look at pictures, Ram was able to create a front bumper "flare" to fit to the wider front panels. We're, sort of, doing a similar thing to this one.

REBELmtnbiker

Reaction score
I just looked at my picture of a TRX here at a local dealer..it appears so...but also the OE TRX fenders come back in to meet the front bumper. It appears that the kit fender stay wide and isn't the same profile..? Dilemma for sure.. I'll post a pic of the TRX side profile.

Keep up the great work!! Looks good.

Attachments

• 20210223_161217.jpg
    20210223_161217.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:

ereeber

Reaction score
I just looked at my picture of a TRX here at a local dealer..it appears so...but also the OE TRX fenders come back in to meet the front bumper. It appears that the kit fender stay wide and isn't the same profile..? Dilemma for sure.. I'll post a pic of the TRX side profile.

Keep up the great work!! Looks good.
Thanks! This certainly helps.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

You might want to share notes with this guy.

His is a 4th Gen though I think.

Gonna be awesome looking trucks when you guys are done.

ServoFides35

Reaction score
If the bumpers are the same I bet that plastic trim around it is the difference. Instead of being flat like on the Rebel it's probably "flared" to match the fender on the TRX. That being said I wonder if it's a part that can be found and ordered or if it's part of the bumper as an assembly... hmmm.

ereeber

Reaction score
Using a bit of body filler to get tolerance as close as possible, as shown in the below pictures. Almost finish fabricating a lower extension of the front fenders to line up better with the bumper. We're getting there. Slowly, but surely...

Attachments

• IMG_5497.jpg
    IMG_5497.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_5498.jpg
    IMG_5498.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_5499.jpg
    IMG_5499.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_5500.jpg
    IMG_5500.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 543

ServoFides35

Reaction score
Using a bit of body filler to get tolerance as close as possible, as shown in the below pictures. Almost finish fabricating a lower extension of the front fenders to line up better with the bumper. We're getting there. Slowly, but surely...
Looks good. Curious on how you are going to tackle the hood? Leave it, Try to cut it and fab yourself or have you got your hands on something else? The TRX hood is one of the coolest looking parts on the body to me.

ereeber

Reaction score
Looks good. Curious on how you are going to tackle the hood? Leave it, Try to cut it and fab yourself or have you got your hands on something else? The TRX hood is one of the coolest looking parts on the body to me.
For now, we're going to leave it, as is, and see what it may need to be enhanced. I'm trying to stay away from the factory TRX stuff, as I'm doing my best to design the truck as if I had the opportunity to do so. However, I do love that TRX hood! Can't lie there... LOL.

90goldtsiawd

Reaction score
The Rebel cost, plus improvements would still be cheaper, in the end, than buying a TRX. Probably by about $15-$20K.
So how much in improvements? I'm a dealer, I know what the trucks cost.

REBELmtnbiker

Reaction score
Would you happen to know if the trx fenders fit on the rebels?
I was thinking the same thing...I'm sure parts will be available in about a 6 months to a year for the TRX when people start crashing them! LOL. Junk yard and dealership fenders, hood and bed might be available for roughly the same price = Body kit+ labor

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing...I'm sure parts will be available in about a 6 months to a year for the TRX when people start crashing them! LOL. Junk yard and dealership fenders, hood and bed might be available for roughly the same price = Body kit+ labor
I would love to get a perfect fit on the flares. Not to mention they have pretty cool looking vents and amber lights. Photo_6553678_DJI_78_jpg_6067793_0_2020122415520_photo_original.jpg

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Subscribed. That’s awesome I’m surprised your doing this to such a new truck lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ereeber

Reaction score
It's slowly coming along. If you want to make this look stock, you have to fabricate new mounting points for all fenders, build out a new rear wheel well to help settle and fibration to the wider bed panels, steel plates for the bed to catch the tonneau cover, the front fender headlight extension sat about 3 inches away from the bumper. So, we had to fabricate a lower fiberglass piece to properly blend in and make it fit against the front bumper. Lots of building up with filler to tighten tolerances, cracks, air holes in the fiberglass set us back a few days too. You really don't know you have an issue until you sand down enough for them to pop. We're at about 134 hours of labor and still going. The bottom line is that these fenders are probably a $10K job if you want it done correctly by a body shop. Hopefully, we'll be ready to sand and prime this week, hoping no more pitting or air holes pop up.

Attachments

• IMG_5545.jpg
    IMG_5545.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_5546.jpg
    IMG_5546.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 519

ereeber

Reaction score
In this picture, you'll notice the tolerances on the brake lights and tail gate. Another task that took over a week to complete. The bed sides were about 1" off on each side. So, we had to build it up to get back to stock tolerances against the tailgate. Same with the brake lights. Everywhere you see "green", is fabricated glass and body filler.

Attachments

• IMG_5537.jpg
    IMG_5537.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 466

ereeber

Reaction score
One last picture of the drivers side in it's current state showing a wide shot with tolerances all corrected (for the most part)

Attachments

• IMG_5543.jpg
    IMG_5543.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 497

Users who are viewing this thread