5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major issue: Odometer Moving forward with start ups while vehicle is still in Park. 19’ 1500 Longhorn , build date 6/19/19!

whetrick1

Reaction score
So your odometer shows the tenth miles? Mine doesn't, that is why I asked. So you can see a decimal point on your odometer screen? Can you post a video of this here so that we can see what is happening?

You can go into the settings and turn on tenth of miles I did on my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
FWIW my odometer doesn't go through any init sequence at all. I haven't done any reset on either trip odometer since I got it. All three show the same value. I have it set to show tenths. I have been watching it the last few trips cause of this thread and all three are incrementing correctly as far as I can tell. I hope it stays that way.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW my odometer doesn't go through any init sequence at all. I haven't done any reset on either trip odometer since I got it. All three show the same value. I have it set to show tenths. I have been watching it the last few trips cause of this thread and all three are incrementing correctly as far as I can tell. I hope it stays that way.

You would have to be watching the main display as soon as you unlock / open the driver's door. It takes only a few seconds and may never see it if you aren't aware it happens. Drives you crazy if you constantly look for it -- sorta like the warped RAMBOXes :)

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
You would have to be watching the main display as soon as you unlock / open the driver's door. It takes only a few seconds and may never see it if you aren't aware it happens. Drives you crazy if you constantly look for it -- sorta like the warped RAMBOXes :)
Ah I see. Now I will look for it when I open the door. Definitely wasn't aware of it. Preparing to be driven crazy.

stevestrike

Reaction score
This thread had me all worried, until I remembered today that I never reset my trip B from the day I got it. Yes, they are in perfect sync to the 1/10th C230AAEC-F780-4B51-97EC-87C5E53528FE.jpeg

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
@Diamondback. Well I finally saw the weird advance today. I have been looking for it for days. When I opened the door I caught a glimpse of the odometer rolling in the ones and tenths place. But it rolled to the reading where it was when I parked. I know this because I have been recording my miles at home and at work to see if the miles match on trips to and from work. And they do almost exactly. Within a tenth of a mile. Also both my trip odometers have never been reset and all three match exactly. I will keep watching cause y'all got me worried about the odometer. But so far it is very accurate.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Diamondback. Well I finally saw the weird advance today. I have been looking for it for days. When I opened the door I caught a glimpse of the odometer rolling in the ones and tenths place. But it rolled to the reading where it was when I parked. I know this because I have been recording my miles at home and at work to see if the miles match on trips to and from work. And they do almost exactly. Within a tenth of a mile. Also both my trip odometers have never been reset and all three match exactly. I will keep watching cause y'all got me worried about the odometer. But so far it is very accurate.

Good! Glad to hear that .. everyone freaks out that they are gaining mileage from a sitting vehicle .. which they aren't, actually :)

Tim N

Ch28

Reaction score
Quick update. My delear has been working with FCA on this and they have determined that the odometer and pcm differ by 50ish miles(feels like should be more). They said they have to put in a new cluster, so am just waiting now.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I notice mine "roll" up when I get in the truck occasionally but it is sitting on zeros and it'll roll up to whatever the current miles are. Kind of odd but it sure doesn't bother me.

deanfx

Reaction score
If you have your center cluster set to temp gauges, they count up too. I kinda like the animations like that and the odometer.

deanfx

Reaction score
Quick update. My delear has been working with FCA on this and they have determined that the odometer and pcm differ by 50ish miles(feels like should be more). They said they have to put in a new cluster, so am just waiting now.
So you have a legitimate problem?

TWRam

Reaction score
Here is the easy way to see the odometer roll up when opening the door. Why I didn't think to do this earlier is besides me.......:rolleyes: When you shut your truck off, open and close the driver door but don't get out. After a few minutes the cluster goes blank. Open your door and you can watch the odometer roll up. You can repeat it as many times as you like, it always does the same thing.

Ch28

Reaction score
So you have a legitimate problem?
Yes, it had added supposedly 50 extra miles although i feel its more. They apparently have to replace the whole cluster to fix this, i dont understand and i dont think the advisor did either.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hi Ch28,
If you feel additional assistance is needed while working alongside your dealer, please private message us!
Laura
Ram Cares

Liamdog

Reaction score
I've been waiting for my 3rd cluster since April. You'll be getting rid of the truck before we get a new cluster...

Liamdog

Reaction score
Odometer readings in the tenth's not rolling over correctly....

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have noticed on several occasions with start ups and while in park, the odometer moves forward several digits. I initially noticed it one morning after overnight parking. I start truck, I noticed that the odometer move forward several digits from a 1 to 4, from ~ 2300 to 2304, just on start up. Today it was even more pronounced. The last 3 digits moved forward on start up. From 2402 to 2513 while still in park! . Now I’m forced to record every startup bc I’m afraid the dealer is not going to be able to recreate this nonsense! You literally start truck and see the odometer moves forward without moving. And it doesn’t happen with all start ups, but I have noticed it about 4 times already in past several weeks. Truck is not my daily vehicle, and I use it sparingly, no long trips, so prior to noticing this, I was amazed that I even had > 1500 miles on odometer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's part of the display start up...

20191126_132629_1.gif

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I would replace the cluster for 50 miles. I think I'd be more worried about some cretin breaking stuff trying to get the cluster back out. But I can see why you'd want to do it under warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/