5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major issue: Odometer Moving forward with start ups while vehicle is still in Park. 19’ 1500 Longhorn , build date 6/19/19!

mstenvold

Reaction score
Well this is certainly interesting. My pickup was built around the same time, I picked it up Sept 1st and currently have 35,600ish miles but it’s always seemed considerably higher than what I actually drive. I do drive a lot for my business but it’s always seemed off but I figure it’s just my imagination. Unfortunately I’m probably SOL since I’ll be out of warranty by the end of the week and wouldn’t be able to get to a dealer in that time.

Ch28

Reaction score
Well this is certainly interesting. My pickup was built around the same time, I picked it up Sept 1st and currently have 35,600ish miles but it’s always seemed considerably higher than what I actually drive. I do drive a lot for my business but it’s always seemed off but I figure it’s just my imagination. Unfortunately I’m probably SOL since I’ll be out of warranty by the end of the week and wouldn’t be able to get to a dealer in that time.
Your true mileage could be less, that would be my arguement. Just need to have some video to help make it easier.

mstenvold

Reaction score
I’ve had a ton of issues with my local dealer and FCA with regards to warranty but I’ll definitely be trying to keep and eye on it these last few miles.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Question: is this video you recorded from the little information area in the middle of the instrument panel? If it is, how does the mileage compare to the odometer at the bottom of the screen? IE, I saw what you were talking about. But does the mile jump instantly at the same time the actual odometer does at the bottom of the screen? The reason I ask this is because it may just be a refresh issue on the little information area rather than actually jumping.

I found mine and put it up, next time I drive I'm going to try to watch to see if the two move in concert.

Ch28

Reaction score
Question: is this video you recorded from the little information area in the middle of the instrument panel? If it is, how does the mileage compare to the odometer at the bottom of the screen? IE, I saw what you were talking about. But does the mile jump instantly at the same time the actual odometer does at the bottom of the screen? The reason I ask this is because it may just be a refresh issue on the little information area rather than actually jumping.

I found mine and put it up, next time I drive I'm going to try to watch to see if the two move in concert.
The odometer in my video is the main odometer that jumps. I have compared the trip odometer to the main odometer and they were not the same, which would reaffirm that the main odometer is having issues. Doesn't make sense why they are not in concert with each other.

airgas1998

Reaction score
ok so I just started to monitor this yesterday as my build is 7 days after op's.(06/24/19) I refreshed the trip meter to zero after the odo tripped over to the next digit, and so far it's accurate.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
i noticed my truck doing this a couple weeks ago on a startup. Thought I must be mistaken but now I know I am not alone. Be sure an post what your service department has to say about this

TWRam

Reaction score
I have also noticed my odometer randomly counting up at startup like I just pulled the handle on a slot machine! Mine was counting up by the hundreds! I thought it strange, but didn't think much of it. I have been looking for it recently and have not seen it. While somewhat on the topic, I have noticed that the time in Trip A and Trip B to be off wildly. I forget the exact numbers, but trip A had like 1500 miles and 60 DAYS of time; whereas trip B has not been reset since day 1, showing 9,XXX miles and only 12 days of time. THAT made absolutely no sense. Maybe related? Maybe not.

Something that might help explain either issue would be if the time/mileage was based off GPS data rather than actual transmission rotation. My GPS has proven to have issues.

airgas1998

Reaction score
all i can say is just watch when your odo rolls over to the next digit. when it does record this set either a or b trip to zero and then daily add the trip numbers into the odo #'s if not the same then its an issue. remember guys its normal for the odo to roll over like a slot machine upon start up.. theirs no denying the op has some weird issue going on.

11B4X4

Reaction score
Hmmm, my truck is not my daily driver either and has racked up 8k miles in less than year and I thought this was excessive. Additionally, most of these miles were with 35's and a not corrected speedometer, which from my understanding means the truck drives farther than should be registered. I'm going to have to monitor this now.

I looked to see where to add 1/10 miles spot on the odo. I can't find it. Any quick instruction, not home to look at the manual

Thanks,

Kevin

d19r93

Reaction score
Hmmm, my truck is not my daily driver either and has racked up 8k miles in less than year and I thought this was excessive. Additionally, most of these miles were with 35's and a not corrected speedometer, which from my understanding means the truck drives farther than should be registered. I'm going to have to monitor this now.

I looked to see where to add 1/10 miles spot on the odo. I can't find it. Any quick instruction, not home to look at the manual

Thanks,

Kevin
It’s in the screen setup for mine, there’s an option in the favorites menu for Odometer, and it shows 000 or 000.0 for the tenths

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
been discussed here plenty elsewhere .. it goes from 000 (or more depending on your mileage) and rolls up for self-check .. freaks everyone out that doesn't know about it ..

eg. I have 632 miles on my truck ..

Kxlexus

Reaction score
It’s in the screen setup for mine, there’s an option in the favorites menu for Odometer, and it shows 000 or 000.0 for the tenths
Thanks for that. I found it. Today I noticed the odometer on my Longhorn moved before I even hit the start button! The tenths started moving as I was closing the door. I wonder if my Pedal Commander could be messing with it? Guess I need to remove it before taking to the dealer because I am sure they will blame it on the Pedal Commander

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
been discussed here plenty elsewhere .. it goes from 000 (or more depending on your mileage) and rolls up for self-check .. freaks everyone out that doesn't know about it ..

eg. I have 632 miles on my truck ..

Why doesn't it do it everytime?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I watched and marked my mileage for two days and it works perfect for me. So that's the story with that.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I wrote my mileage down when I shut my truck off. Came out about 30 minutes later and watched the odometer roll around as I was getting into the truck and shutting the door and before I pushed the start button. It did it’s th and came back to the numbers I had written down. I’ll continue to watch it for another day but it appears I was worried about nothing.....again

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
there is a timeout generally. (eg. after the display "goes to sleep", etc.)

I don't pay attention any longer 'cuz it was driving me craazzzzy after another user pointed it out to me (prior to mine being delivered).

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/