5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magnaflow Exhaust installed!

NDanecker

Reaction score
From the above comments and reviews I have placed the order from HotExhaust. Got the 20% discount so that help make the decision. I was leaning towards the Borla but the price is very high and I'd have to fabricate an extension for my Crew Cab with 6'-4" bed. So - will give my thoughts after the installation. Thanks for everyone's comments.

flinstigator

Reaction score
Installed my Magnaflow catback 19430 last weekend using ramps. It took me about 2.5 hours to make the swap..... I ended up buying an exhaust hanger removal tool for $30 (I would recommend this to anyone considering an install) and I am so glad that I did even though I'm probably never going to use it again. I did manage to get the stock exhaust out with cutting it although It took a little bit of finagling. I did lower the spare and remove the heat shield on the drivers side of the truck as suggested by other members to make things easier. I love the sound of the truck. I didn't want that obnoxious sound and this kit seems to perform exactly as expected and definitely much better then the quiet stock exhaust. I agree with everything ChadT posted about his initial thoughts with the exception of the guy rolling up next to me with an obnoxious stereo since that hasn't happened to me yet. This exhaust is exactly what I expected it be be which is great!

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed my Magnaflow catback 19430 last weekend using ramps. It took me about 2.5 hours to make the swap..... I ended up buying an exhaust hanger removal tool for $30 (I would recommend this to anyone considering an install) and I am so glad that I did even though I'm probably never going to use it again. I did manage to get the stock exhaust out with cutting it although It took a little bit of finagling. I did lower the spare and remove the heat shield on the drivers side of the truck as suggested by other members to make things easier. I love the sound of the truck. I didn't want that obnoxious sound and this kit seems to perform exactly as expected and definitely much better then the quiet stock exhaust. I agree with everything ChadT posted about his initial thoughts with the exception of the guy rolling up next to me with an obnoxious stereo since that hasn't happened to me yet. This exhaust is exactly what I expected it be be which is great!

The black tips look amazing right?
It's like two little exhaust cannons sticking out the back of your bumper.

flinstigator

Reaction score
Black exhaust tips do look awesome. I had factory black tips initially with the stock exhaust. Magnaflow did a really nice job on this kit!

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Impressions, now with more time driving with it:

To guys who have installed it during the winter time like I did?
roll the windows down. I'm serious. Open the middle rear window, roll down those windows.
It's got a way more muscular sound than you might think with the windows closed! The sound proofing on the Ram is AWESOME. For road trips on the highway, excellent. But if you're thinking the magnaflow is a little too quiet? If you can endure the cold for a little bit, open up the windows and give it a listen.
It's a great sound, wow.

Last edited:

EJ_Reynolds

Reaction score
Have anyone towed with this yet? Looking for an exhaust that wouldn't be unbearable going up a mountain stuck at 4500-5500 RPM.

porkie

Reaction score
Impressions, now with more time driving with it:

To guys who have installed it during the winter time like I did?
roll the windows down. I'm serious. Open the middle rear window, roll down those windows.
It's got a way more muscular sound than you might think with the windows closed! The sound proofing on the Ram is AWESOME. For road trips on the highway, excellent. But if you're thinking the magnaflow is a little too quiet? If you can endure the cold for a little bit, open up the windows and give it a listen.
It's a great sound, wow.
How do you like the magnaflow compared to the borla that you mentioned that you had on previous trucks? Thanks

NDanecker

Reaction score
Had the MF cat back installed by a local repair shop (good friend). Cost was just under $120 which is fair IMO.

Upon the first start-up I was concerned I did a mistake as it was louder than I wanted. However, after going for a test ride I am hooked. It is not nearly as loud as I thought when I first started it. My guess I was so used to not hearing the exhaust before that now that I can hear the exhaust it worried me, but not anymore. Good decision and all smiles. Even in the upper RPM range it is not bad. Absolutely no drone and sounds like a v8 hemi should. :)

To put it in perspective my stock Jeep Trackhawk was much louder on full throttle pulls. MF is no where near that.

Next test will be towing.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is not nearly as loud as I thought when I first started it. My guess I was so used to not hearing the exhaust before

It's true. Being able to HEAR the exhaust, in my opinion, makes it SO much more enjoyable

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing like the sound of a v8 singing
It seems the Raptor guys are unhappy with the oddball sound of the twin turbo ecoboost 6 cylinder, even though it has lots of power and is a technical marvel. I bet they grit their teeth when they hear a Rebel (or other cool Ram) go by with an aftermarket exhaust rumbling the Hemi power sound. Most Raptors probably never see real Baja type off roading anyway unless they live in desert states. I bet more will switch to Rebel in future.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It seems the Raptor guys are unhappy with the oddball sound of the twin turbo ecoboost 6 cylinder, even though it has lots of power and is a technical marvel. I bet they grit their teeth when they hear a Rebel (or other cool Ram) go by with an aftermarket exhaust rumbling the Hemi power sound. Most Raptors probably never see real Baja type off roading anyway unless they live in desert states. I bet more will switch to Rebel in future.

Isn't there a rumor that Ford will be putting their next big V8 in the Raptor? Likely around the same time the Rebel TRX comes out along with an actual V8 in it.

There isn't an exhaust on the market that can fix the sound of the Raptor.
It's an incredibly underwhelming sound for a $75,000 baby-baja truck.

Yes, the tech specs are good, but Ford is capable of building a NA V8 close to those specs, they won't because they're trying to sell ecoboosts to their regular truck buyers due to the EPA CAFE situation.
To do that they're convincing Ford buyers that the ecoboost is literally the best engine ever, and there are no alternatives - by putting into their top end vehicles (Like the GT, and the Raptor).
It's working, there's a near religious following for the ecoboost on a ton of web boards.
The arguments go as far as to suggest that NA V8s are actually more complex than the the V6 turbo with intercooler setup.

flinstigator

Reaction score
Have anyone towed with this yet? Looking for an exhaust that wouldn't be unbearable going up a mountain stuck at 4500-5500 RPM.

Rebel_Wellcraft.jpg

I have towed a boat with the MF installed and have had no noise issues. IMO the exhaust isn't obnoxious at any RPM level. Although I live in Florida and don't have to contend with the sound waves bouncing off of the side of a mountain! From my perspective you will have no issues towing with the MF exhaust.

EJ_Reynolds

Reaction score
View attachment 15403

I have towed a boat with the MF installed and have had no noise issues. IMO the exhaust isn't obnoxious at any RPM level. Although I live in Florida and don't have to contend with the sound waves bouncing off of the side of a mountain! From my perspective you will have no issues towing with the MF exhaust.
I have a 24ft enclosed trailer so sure it'll bounce off of that pretty good. Coming from a 2500 CTD which the exhaust exited from the side instead of straight back. MF the only exhaust right now that's giving me a warm fuzzy. Hopefully I can find someone locally that have different exhaust I can hear in person. If not, I'll just pull the trigger on this one.

RenoRam

Reaction score
I have a 24ft enclosed trailer so sure it'll bounce off of that pretty good. Coming from a 2500 CTD which the exhaust exited from the side instead of straight back. MF the only exhaust right now that's giving me a warm fuzzy. Hopefully I can find someone locally that have different exhaust I can hear in person. If not, I'll just pull the trigger on this one.
Had MF on my 2014 Ram and had no issues with sound towing my 25ft camping trailer. Have yet to tow with this one yet but would firmly expect the same.

natehawes

Reaction score
Add me as another happy Magnaflow customer. I had the catback system installed today by my local shop ($150) and it sounds awesome. It's exactly what I was hoping for. Louder than stock, but not too loud. I took it for a bit of a drive on the freeway and it sounds good, to me, at all RPM levels. Cruising I don't hear any drone. My shop did have issues getting the tips aligned. They are pretty close, but off just a hair. It's not enough to bother me.

BTW-I bought this used from mhb1638 and the transaction was very smooth. Thank you for being a great seller.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good to hear as I have a nib one sitting in my garage. Wifey felt bad about complaining about my last (2) Borlas and picked this up for me. I was almost desperate enough to put a cat back exhaust on my turbocharged Accord lol...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Good to hear as I have a nib one sitting in my garage. Wifey felt bad about complaining about my last (2) Borlas and picked this up for me. I was almost desperate enough to put a cat back exhaust on my turbocharged Accord lol...

Sure hope the magnaflow works for you man cause I can’t imagine you getting another exhaust. You should’ve started a YouTube exhaust review page...

PorBoy

Reaction score
Lol if that doesn't work I'm going to stay stock..

Users who are viewing this thread