5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowered the rear 2" last night.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed mine yesterday. I did the springs and the 1000HD bags. Already had the Hellwig bar. Not sure I’m gonna to keep the bags though. I ran them at 5 psi and it’s a bouncy ride. I let all the air out and it is still not very smooth. Maybe I was just spoiled by the very smooth factory ride. The springs are pretty small inside which made it very hard to get the bags in and they don’t fit the upper perch very well. I’m thinking a larger diameter spring might let the bags relax more. If you’re adding bags It might be best to get the larger springs and then just cut them down a little.

Attachments

• DB1D2D71-2116-451A-BEFE-1D6F433D025D.jpeg
    DB1D2D71-2116-451A-BEFE-1D6F433D025D.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 188
  • FB0D4076-E200-40C3-A25E-D7FF4D728B63.jpeg
    FB0D4076-E200-40C3-A25E-D7FF4D728B63.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 186

bigdaddy46

Reaction score
I installed mine yesterday. I did the springs and the 1000HD bags. Already had the Hellwig bar. Not sure I’m gonna to keep the bags though. I ran them at 5 psi and it’s a bouncy ride. I let all the air out and it is still not very smooth. Maybe I was just spoiled by the very smooth factory ride. The springs are pretty small inside which made it very hard to get the bags in and they don’t fit the upper perch very well. I’m thinking a larger diameter spring might let the bags relax more. If you’re adding bags It might be best to get the larger springs and then just cut them down a little.
Do you know what part number the bags you got are? Seems people recommend either the 60818 or 60824 for a lowered truck. I definitely will tow with mine once in a while and dont wanna be pointed at the sky, not sure if I'm gonna go bags or timbren has an option for lowered trucks as well.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Air Lift 60828HD = 2,100 lb load level capacity - This is what I have. Probably why the ride is not as smooth. They are pretty stiff, even fully deflated.

60818 and 60824 = 1,000 lb load level capacity

Last edited:

bigdaddy46

Reaction score
Air Lift 60828HD = 2,100 lb load level capacity - This is what I have. Probably why the ride is not as smooth. They are pretty stiff, even fully deflated.

60818 and 60824 = 1,000 lb load level capacity
the 60818 is available in an HD option as well, I think its a little shorter, I saw that advertised somewhere as the way to go for a 2 inch lowered truck. I bought 60824s which seemed way too small to do much so I sent them back.

Grip750

Reaction score
I have had the 272920 springs on my 2020 5th gen for over a year problem free. Still didn’t sit level so I cut a full coil off of them. A year later and zero issues. Even rides like stock.
I am ordering the same springs, I know the drop should be 2” . Would you say cutting off the full coil length added 1” drop or did it add more than that? I want to do the same

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am ordering the same springs, I know the drop should be 2” . Would you say cutting off the full coil length added 1” drop or did it add more than that? I want to do the same
I would say it gave it almost another inch. Truck sits perfect I think. Been on there a year now.

Attachments

• 6BC9D90F-C53D-445D-BFCA-E752C2941620.jpeg
    6BC9D90F-C53D-445D-BFCA-E752C2941620.jpeg
    259.8 KB · Views: 164

Thatsme06

Reaction score
So has anyone successfully used the 272920's with the 60818HD's? Looking to level the truck while adding airbags for occasional towing. Also seems like the 272920's need to be cut on the 2wd trucks to achieve an actual level look.

Snailpowered

Reaction score
So has anyone installed the 272720 springs on their 2wd yet?

I'm getting ready to order a set but would like to know if I should cut an extra coil off them prior to installing? Based on what jrw921 was told by MaxTrac these seem to be a "Bit More Conservative"

jrw921

Reaction score
So has anyone installed the 272720 springs on their 2wd yet?

I'm getting ready to order a set but would like to know if I should cut an extra coil off them prior to installing? Based on what jrw921 was told by MaxTrac these seem to be a "Bit More Conservative"
I went with the 272920s. They've been around forever and seem to work fine. MaxTrac rep seemed more keen on those than the newer #, only because they have sold hundreds with no problems. I am letting them settle in now to see if any more adjustmets are necessary. Truck isn't perfectly level but the rear end is noticeably lower. I have seen pictures of 2 people that used the newer model and both ended up with a negative rake and a sagging tail. That seems the opposite of "bit more conservative" as I was told by MaxTrac.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the 60828HD’s with 272920’s and I’m wondering if anyone else using the two together had a hard time getting the bags inside the springs. I used soapy water and it help a little bit. But, it was really difficult and they are super tight inside the springs. Unfortunately, I found the zip tie idea after I finished my install. I have to run the bags with no air because even at the recommended 5psi, the ride is quite bouncy. Of course, I’m sure the bags are designed for the stock springs, which have a larger inner diameter. I’m wondering if the really tight fit is going to cause premature wear and damage to the bags. I’m also thinking the non-HD bags would have been a better choice.

Snailpowered

Reaction score
I went with the 272920s. They've been around forever and seem to work fine. MaxTrac rep seemed more keen on those than the newer #, only because they have sold hundreds with no problems. I am letting them settle in now to see if any more adjustmets are necessary. Truck isn't perfectly level but the rear end is noticeably lower. I have seen pictures of 2 people that used the newer model and both ended up with a negative rake and a sagging tail. That seems the opposite of "bit more conservative" as I was told by MaxTrac.

Oddly enough, I would be fine with a slight negative rake, as my intention is to find a front spring that provides a 1" drop in the front.

I see that alot of members have been interested in doing a 1/3 drop and no one has been able to provide this yet. The fact is, with the amount of spring manufactures out there there is going to be a spring that was designed for another application that will likely fit our needs. Top perch diameter, bottom perch diameter, length and spring rate is all a spring is.
If/when I find these values I have a contact in the industry that can help us source these. After that, I will need to see if the 1" drop in the front needs suspension geometry alterations, but I think it will be fine since the air ride guys have had no issues.

jrw921

Reaction score
I have the 60828HD’s with 272920’s and I’m wondering if anyone else using the two together had a hard time getting the bags inside the springs. I used soapy water and it help a little bit. But, it was really difficult and they are super tight inside the springs. Unfortunately, I found the zip tie idea after I finished my install. I have to run the bags with no air because even at the recommended 5psi, the ride is quite bouncy. Of course, I’m sure the bags are designed for the stock springs, which have a larger inner diameter. I’m wondering if the really tight fit is going to cause premature wear and damage to the bags. I’m also thinking the non-HD bags would have been a better choice.
The 272720s have a larger inner diameter than the 272920s. ( according to MaxTrac CS)

Snailpowered

Reaction score
Just wanted to give everyone my personal experience and for future people reading this thread.

I called and talked to MaxTracs the manufacture (not where most people are buying the springs from) and they gave me some good information on the differences between the two spring sets.
Below are simplified spring rates for the two different springs. Since these are progressive springs they do change spring rate to give a more comfortable ride. So the values below are what the spring rate starts as, the amount of spring compression needed to move to the second spring rate, and the second spring rate.

Part Number - 1st Spring Rate - 2nd Spring Rate @ X amount of compression

PN: 272720 - 145 Pounds/Inch - 230 Pounds/Inch @ 5 Inches of Compression
PN: 272920 - 225 Pounds/Inch - 285ish Pounds/Inch @ 5 Inches of Compression (<-- the reason for the 285ish was he couldn't quite recall the actual value)

Based on what other had said about the 272720 kit, and it being past level, this is what I was hoping would happen, as I am wanting to achieve a 1.5/3 drop on my truck. I can confirm that it does go past level on the 272720's but the ride is quite nice and only slightly stiffer than stock on my 2021 Laramie Sport 2WD w/ 26gal tank and 5'7" non-Rambox bed. I did take the truck up to about 100mph to check for rear sway/wobble and can report that there is none. The rear axle did shift to the right about 3/8 inch, as well. I am running the factory sway bar at the moment as well.

I will also post an update after I figure out, and install how I was able to get 1"-1.5" front drop.

What I was hoping to accomplish with this post is this; If you want a more "Stock" ride quality than the 272720 is the springs you want, and you can use an Energy Suspension Coil Spring Isolator to shim the rear up either 1/4" or 7/16" to achieve a true level stance more than likely.

20210423_230408.jpg

Snailpowered

Reaction score
Wanted to post an update of my wifes truck with some 22x10 ET-19 wheels and 285/45R22 tires using the 272720 rear leveling springs. The wheels poke out about 3/4" past the factory fender flares, which my OCD will need to address by putting on some slightly larger fender flares, but these wheels filled the fender wells much better than the 20's previously. As you can see in the picture, with about 350lbs in the rear of the truck, there is now a slight negative rake. Without the weight in the bed, the top of the trucks bed is level with the ground, but due to how the factory wheel wells are cut there is less wheel gap in the rear than in the front which makes the rear look like it is past level.
StephsTruck.jpg

Biz Jet Tech

Reaction score
Wanted to post an update of my wifes truck with some 22x10 ET-19 wheels and 285/45R22 tires using the 272720 rear leveling springs. The wheels poke out about 3/4" past the factory fender flares, which my OCD will need to address by putting on some slightly larger fender flares, but these wheels filled the fender wells much better than the 20's previously. As you can see in the picture, with about 350lbs in the rear of the truck, there is now a slight negative rake. Without the weight in the bed, the top of the trucks bed is level with the ground, but due to how the factory wheel wells are cut there is less wheel gap in the rear than in the front which makes the rear look like it is past level.
View attachment 92442

WOW !! That looks awesome, congrats !!
I want to do the same thing - did you need to cut the coils at all? I've read some guys are needing to cut a full coil
off the spring to get it to set level?

Snailpowered

Reaction score
WOW !! That looks awesome, congrats !!
I want to do the same thing - did you need to cut the coils at all? I've read some guys are needing to cut a full coil
off the spring to get it to set level?
Biz Jet - I didn't need to cut any coils off of my springs, just installed them and was good to go because I used the MaxTrac 272720 springs. Other members who are needing to cut their springs are using the 272920 springs from a 4th Gen Ram 1500. Take a look at my post further up the page and I break down the differences between these two part numbers.

Biz Jet Tech

Reaction score
Biz Jet - I didn't need to cut any coils off of my springs, just installed them and was good to go because I used the MaxTrac 272720 springs. Other members who are needing to cut their springs are using the 272920 springs from a 4th Gen Ram 1500. Take a look at my post further up the page and I break down the differences between these two part numbers.
Perfect !!
That is exactly what I'm going to do - thanks a bunch!
I'm going to run 305/50/20 on stock 20x9 wheels with 1.25 spacers for that wide "look"

2020SilverMidnight

Reaction score
So, the 272720 springs are listed for a 2wd only? Maybe that's why they get a tad lower than the 272920? I too am looking to get my truck even lower than the 272920 springs I have now, but want to make sure these would work. My truck is 4wd though.

Biz Jet Tech

Reaction score
So, the 272720 springs are listed for a 2wd only? Maybe that's why they get a tad lower than the 272920? I too am looking to get my truck even lower than the 272920 springs I have now, but want to make sure these would work. My truck is 4wd though.
I think I will be good as mine is a 2WD - thanks for the excellent info, much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online