5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud Rumbling/Revving Noise

Cadams

Reaction score
I had this sound happen on my 19 ram today. It has 2000 miles. I went to Lowe’s to grab a few bags of cement and when leaving the parking lot sounded like I has a different muffler. I stopped with the engine still running and looked under the truck, under the hood but the sound was gone. I proceeded to drive home and the sound started again. When I got home and unloaded my cargo, I made a test drive and have not heard it again. Thank all of you who are trying to get the resolved!

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting...I heard this today as well. I installed new speakers in the doors yesterday, and heard it today. It may have been the before and I'm only hearing now.

Others in the speaker replacement threads have said the same thing, but on this thread, most people haven't done and anything to audio system.

It's the same thing though...low drone at 1500-1900 RPMs. Sounds like the engine trying to pull in the wrong gear.

Definitely would seem ANC related since it seems those who have unhooked it are no longer having the issue.

Last edited:

Rambruiser

Reaction score
Just a quick update: Truck now at 4178 miles. Rear camera still not working and booming sound still present. I can almost repro on demand (6th gear, off throttle and coast, @ 1220-1250rpms) however, the dealer can’t.
Adding further insult to injury: my trucks Driver Side Rearview Mirror almost caught ON FIRE this AM! Luckily, i was able to disable the defroster and let the mirror cool down. Was too late to save the mirror, though. As the result, my mirror now has an Amber Hugh to it. The defroster icon etched into the mirror is purple... While, I am literally ROFLMFAO this AM about dealing with all these issues, I am also losing my patience. At this point, I am going to start the process with the dealer, and ask for a buyback. I will keep you all posted..
Oh, one more thing: the heating coil on the leather wrapped steering wheel has permanently shrunk and wrinkled the leather cover from 9 - to - 3 o’clock position, as well as at around 7.... lol! I am not making this up!

Zebber

Reaction score
I also have the very , very irritating drone noise. It seems like it only happens when I have back seat passengers and it hurts everyone's ears . It also seems to happen somewhere around 60-65 mph and it doesn't matter if I'm accelerating or coasting. It was doing it when I only had 300 miles on the truck, now at 3000 and still doing it.

Whiskey_tango

Reaction score
Had the loud booming sound yesterday right at startup. Drove about a mile at about 35mph with the persistent booming. Shut it off and no booming on restart.

Funny thing is I just picked it up from the dealer for recall, wind noise, and oil change. 3,200 miles. I will notify dealer if it happens again.

Zebber

Reaction score
Not sure but I may have found the source of the drone. I climbed under the truck this morning to see if anything was loose or could be vibrating and found the gas tank skid plate bracket on the drivers side isn't even bolted to the frame. It's about an inch away from the frame with no bolt in it and the frame doesn't have a hole for it to bolt to. If I smacked the skid plate it vibrates and shakes. I think the wind hitting the skid plate is causing the problem making it vibrate and drone. I'm also thinking that since it seems to happen when someone is the backseat the weight is causing the truck to be a little lower in the back and then the wind is hitting the skid plate just right to cause it to vibrate and make the noise. Before I drill any holes and bolt mine up I'll let the dealer look at it. The assumption that it's the ANC just doesn't sound right to me, the sound seems to be coming from outside the truck and resonating into the cabin. All you guys that are having the same problem take a look at your skidplate to see if it's bolted to the frame. Not saying this is the complete problem but I know loose or poorly mounted things can cause a lot of noise when the wind hits them. I have included a picture. skidplate.jpg

Whiskey_tango

Reaction score
Not sure but I may have found the source of the drone. I climbed under the truck this morning to see if anything was loose or could be vibrating and found the gas tank skid plate bracket on the drivers side isn't even bolted to the frame. It's about an inch away from the frame with no bolt in it and the frame doesn't have a hole for it to bolt to. If I smacked the skid plate it vibrates and shakes. I think the wind hitting the skid plate is causing the problem making it vibrate and drone. I'm also thinking that since it seems to happen when someone is the backseat the weight is causing the truck to be a little lower in the back and then the wind is hitting the skid plate just right to cause it to vibrate and make the noise. Before I drill any holes and bolt mine up I'll let the dealer look at it. The assumption that it's the ANC just doesn't sound right to me, the sound seems to be coming from outside the truck and resonating into the cabin. All you guys that are having the same problem take a look at your skidplate to see if it's bolted to the frame. Not saying this is the complete problem but I know loose or poorly mounted things can cause a lot of noise when the wind hits them. I have included a picture. View attachment 17028

That's interesting. My issue was occurring at low speed , even while stopped. I'm thinking the ATMM's somehow got whacked out. After re-start the noise went away.

Rambruiser

Reaction score
Not sure but I may have found the source of the drone. I climbed under the truck this morning to see if anything was loose or could be vibrating and found the gas tank skid plate bracket on the drivers side isn't even bolted to the frame. It's about an inch away from the frame with no bolt in it and the frame doesn't have a hole for it to bolt to. If I smacked the skid plate it vibrates and shakes. I think the wind hitting the skid plate is causing the problem making it vibrate and drone. I'm also thinking that since it seems to happen when someone is the backseat the weight is causing the truck to be a little lower in the back and then the wind is hitting the skid plate just right to cause it to vibrate and make the noise. Before I drill any holes and bolt mine up I'll let the dealer look at it. The assumption that it's the ANC just doesn't sound right to me, the sound seems to be coming from outside the truck and resonating into the cabin. All you guys that are having the same problem take a look at your skidplate to see if it's bolted to the frame. Not saying this is the complete problem but I know loose or poorly mounted things can cause a lot of noise when the wind hits them. I have included a picture. View attachment 17028
The sound we are referring to is roughly around 35-45hz in frequency. You can actually listen to this range on youtube
Had the loud booming sound yesterday right at startup. Drove about a mile at about 35mph with the persistent booming. Shut it off and no booming on restart.

Funny thing is I just picked it up from the dealer for recall, wind noise, and oil change. 3,200 miles. I will notify dealer if it happens again.
you will notice that, turning off and restarting the truck ( rebooting) does wonders lol! In my case though, I had to turn it off then, use the fob to lock the vehicle -then unlock and restart it, in order to get 4WD back.... :) a true story by the way! If you experience issues, don’t reboot your truck, take it to the dealer right away if you can. Otherwise, they’ll never be able to confirm the issues. Btw, my truck is in the shop now. The service department is “trying to teach me a lesson” by lending me a Jeep Patriot with crank windows and manual rearview mirrors. You actually have to lean out of the vehicle to adjust the mirrors. Helmet and goggles are optional. Awesome! Lol!

Zebber

Reaction score
The sound we are referring to is roughly around 35-45hz in frequency. You can actually listen to this range on youtube

you will notice that, turning off and restarting the truck ( rebooting) does wonders lol! In my case though, I had to turn it off then, use the fob to lock the vehicle -then unlock and restart it, in order to get 4WD back.... :) a true story by the way! If you experience issues, don’t reboot your truck, take it to the dealer right away if you can. Otherwise, they’ll never be able to confirm the issues. Btw, my truck is in the shop now. The service department is “trying to teach me a lesson” by lending me a Jeep Patriot with crank windows and manual rearview mirrors. You actually have to lean out of the vehicle to adjust the mirrors. Helmet and goggles are optional. Awesome! Lol!

Ha, sometimes less is better, IE , never had any problems like we are having in a 60's or 70's car. Rust or headliner falling down maybe..

Rambruiser

Reaction score
Update: based on TSB I received from Ramcare (in this thread) the dealer is replacing the Amp to fix the booming sound issues.
They are also replacing my rearview camera, the driver’s side rearview mirror and, the steering wheel. All on backorder but should have them in 2 weeks. The service manager was very helpful by the way, didn’t even question me on any of the items I listed as faulty. So, I am pretty happy right now.
Will let y’all know how it goes, after all new parts been swapped out. Thanks

dwilc

Reaction score
Hello, all I just got my Ram 2 weeks ago. I didn't have any issues with the noise until after hooking up an after market amp and sub. The noise only comes out of the sub and is gone if I disconnect it. I've check everything from ground to power wire and RCA connections. I'm going to try the to de-pin the mics to see if that helps thx, @KRField. Will let you all know, glad I found this forum!

eduardolalo11

Reaction score
Update: based on TSB I received from Ramcare (in this thread) the dealer is replacing the Amp to fix the booming sound issues.
They are also replacing my rearview camera, the driver’s side rearview mirror and, the steering wheel. All on backorder but should have them in 2 weeks. The service manager was very helpful by the way, didn’t even question me on any of the items I listed as faulty. So, I am pretty happy right now.
Will let y’all know how it goes, after all new parts been swapped out. Thanks
What was wrong with your steering wheel?

Rambruiser

Reaction score
What was wrong with your steering wheel?
The leather wrap started fraying between 9 - 3 o’clock real bad. This, I think, has to do with the heated coils that sort of “cook” the leather real good when used. There’s also an area where the coil is showing through the leather wrap.

Brought truck home, found new issue: passenger side mirror no longer tilts when in reverse. It wants to move but gets stuck. lol

dwilc

Reaction score
You can depin the ANC at the harness on the amp. I have a write up on it over at ramforums. It corrected the problem and all systems still work. I can make a thread on it here if others are interested.
So instead of depinning the ANC I pulled the two mics from the roof in the rear of truck sniped the wire leaving enough to reconnect for future reconnect and the noise is gone.

deanfx

Reaction score
I had this problem when I put Nitton trail grapplers on my 19 Bughorn. I think the truck finally learned that I changed tires and it stopped. But yesterday I put a Flowmaster muffler on it and guess what? The drone at 70mph is back. And worse than before.

Has anyone found a cure besides unplugging wires from their Bughorn?

Zebber

Reaction score
Alex from Ram Cares has contacted me about starting a case but I think I'm waiting until I get my brake pedal recall letter to get everything taken care of at once . A pain in the rear to take it in multiple times. Has anyone received their brake pedal recall letter yet?

Users who are viewing this thread