5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud Rumbling/Revving Noise

canarygrass

Reaction score
Hi,

New to the forum, I have a 2019 Ram that's a week old with 100 miles. Last night I turned the car on and as I put it into drive, there was a terrible loud, low pitched rumbling noise in the truck. I'm talking ear-piercingly loud. At first I thought it was engine related but as I tried to diagnose it sounded like it was coming from the car speakers. Is this an active noise cancellation malfunction? It was almost like it was taking engine noise and amplifying it throughout the entire truck. Turned it on this morning and had no issues. I called the dealer and they suggested I record or call them the next time I hear it.

Anyone heard of this before? It was so loud I literally had ringing in my ears last night and this morning.

canarygrass

Reaction score
Is it similar to a booming noise?
I guess you could call it a booming noise...while the loud noises haven't come back the engine seems a lot louder upon acceleration now. I'm thinking the noise cancelling system is shot. Called the dealer today and he said there is a brand new TSB out on it.

Delmonico_19

Reaction score
I guess you could call it a booming noise...while the loud noises haven't come back the engine seems a lot louder upon acceleration now. I'm thinking the noise cancelling system is shot. Called the dealer today and he said there is a brand new TSB out on it.
There is a TSB about it that involves the amplifier.

Reactions: BTK

clarkwd

Reaction score
I've got 2000 miles on my 2019 truck and its ok except for the two different noises. Between 70 and 75 miles an hour there is a random drum beating noise that sounds like something loose and banging against the truck body. I can turn up the radio and live with that for a few days, but tonight the hum showed up in my truck for the second time. It was there two weeks ago when I started down a dirt road. Tonight, back on dirt it started again. I tried to measure it with my piano tuner and it is a pure noise at about 950 or 1000 HZ and is REALLY obnoxious. It comes and goes about every ten seconds. I have to drive 300 miles home tomorrow and I hope it goes away.

clarkwd

Reaction score
TSB 08-088-18 applies to trucks built between April 16 and April 27, 2019. This 1500 was built in May. I worked the diagnostics and inspection on this anyway and it does not apply. One of the noises I have, the drum beat, is related to the canvas tonneau cover. When it is off, the noise goes away. With it on, it comes back. This is the third 1500 I have had, a 2004, a 2013, and this 2019, all with the same or the same brand of cover and it was impossible to hear the cover flapping inside the truck. Since I can repeat this experiment, I'm sure its related to the noise cancellation and the cover. The other noise, the 1000Hz hum is only repeatable on dirt.

canarygrass

Reaction score
Update....

Dealer replaced the amplifier a week ago due to the TSB related to the active noise cancellation system.

Everything was great. Up until today.

Turned on the truck and the music was blasting. Turned down the volume to 0 and it turned off. Then I turned to 1 and the music blasts as if you were past max volume.

After turning off the sound system entirely I noticed the engine noise was back.

So as it stands now I can’t turn on my radio and my noise cancellation doesn’t work.

Truck is headed back to the shop for the 2nd time in 3 weeks of ownership.

Anyone have a clue what is going on? I’m starting to get frustrated. Love the truck otherwise....

abardwell

Reaction score
Update....

Dealer replaced the amplifier a week ago due to the TSB related to the active noise cancellation system.

Everything was great. Up until today.

Turned on the truck and the music was blasting. Turned down the volume to 0 and it turned off. Then I turned to 1 and the music blasts as if you were past max volume.

After turning off the sound system entirely I noticed the engine noise was back.

So as it stands now I can’t turn on my radio and my noise cancellation doesn’t work.

Truck is headed back to the shop for the 2nd time in 3 weeks of ownership.

Anyone have a clue what is going on? I’m starting to get frustrated. Love the truck otherwise....
Has your noise issue been resolved? If so, how? I had the same issue today.

Thanks...

Frank524

Reaction score
Happened to me last night when leaving work. I shut the truck off, restarted it and the noise was gone. A very deep humming that seemed to be in correlation with the throttle.

NeedMo$

Reaction score
Had both issues happen to me only 1 time. My Ram has 1100 miles on it now. Earlier this week I experienced the loud, low frequency engine noise coming from speakers. It was the opposite of active noise cancelling. Sounded like an electric car that is trying to play the sound of a gasoline powered V8 for ambiance. After shutting off ignition then starting it up again, sound was gone.

After going in reverse 1 time after sensors stopped supressing the audio, the volume was blasting even on level 1. Could not reduce volume unless going to 0 or turning off uConnect system. Turning truck off and back on did not correct. Left truck alone and next day it returned to normal.

I also had my reverse camera show green lines through the screen 1 time only and I have the thud / clunk from underneath the body.

Have not gone back to dealer yet since they went be able to replicate my 1 time issues so waiting on system updates and TSB's they will have to perform.

My Ram build date is July 2018. Not sure of the day.

Stella1234!

Reaction score
Hi,

New to the forum, I have a 2019 Ram that's a week old with 100 miles. Last night I turned the car on and as I put it into drive, there was a terrible loud, low pitched rumbling noise in the truck. I'm talking ear-piercingly loud. At first I thought it was engine related but as I tried to diagnose it sounded like it was coming from the car speakers. Is this an active noise cancellation malfunction? It was almost like it was taking engine noise and amplifying it throughout the entire truck. Turned it on this morning and had no issues. I called the dealer and they suggested I record or call them the next time I hear it.

Anyone heard of this before? It was so loud I literally had ringing in my ears last night and this morning.[/QU

I am dealing with this exact issue. I have a 2019 Big Horn. I started getting a humming noise coming from the rear speakers. It’s typically noticeable around 1500-2000 rpm.

I took it to the dealer and was told it was amp. They changed the amp and the problem persisted. I was told the problem resolves upon disconnecting the hands free microphones. However, they could not find the cause. I was literally told “we are stumped.”

Dodge is well aware of this problem. They are supposedly working on an update to resolve the problem. This all sounds like an excuse because they can’t figure out the problem. I have been in a mini van rental for over a week now. This truly sucks. If they cannot fix it I will take the Lemon Law route.

alphac

Reaction score
Purchased 2019 RAM 1500 on Sept 16, 2018. Noticed loud humming noise within 1st week. Took truck back to dealer Oct 1, 1018. They could not replicate noise. Found out later it was only making noise when 2 or more people in back seat. Took back to dealer on Oct 6, 2018 and they heard noise when people in back seat. No clue as to what was causing it. Star case was opened with FCA and advised to put in "New" noise cancelling module (amplifier) which was done, but did not correct problem. Was told FCA would have a software update to amplifier. But no idea as to when. Short term fix was to crack window 1" which disables noise cancellation module until window is closed . Was told if the module was totally disconnected, radio would not work. Hope this helps.

clarkwd

Reaction score
I've got 2000 miles on my 2019 truck and its ok except for the two different noises. Between 70 and 75 miles an hour there is a random drum beating noise that sounds like something loose and banging against the truck body. I can turn up the radio and live with that for a few days, but tonight the hum showed up in my truck for the second time. It was there two weeks ago when I started down a dirt road. Tonight, back on dirt it started again. I tried to measure it with my piano tuner and it is a pure noise at about 950 or 1000 HZ and is REALLY obnoxious. It comes and goes about every ten seconds. I have to drive 300 miles home tomorrow and I hope it goes away.

The drum beat has gone away. The frame for the fabric toneau cover was not clamped down tight with the four clamps that came with it. I added four more clamps and made sure it was all tight to the top of the body and the noise is gone.

dswoboda2120

Reaction score
This same issue happened to me today, after picking up the truck from getting a Bedliner sprayed in it. I drove it about a mile then shut it off and restarted. The sound went away. Almost sounded like I had a hole in the muffler. Mine was built 6/18. I didn’t notice any issues with the radio blaring. The truck has less than 600 miles on it.

Spikefoof

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone heard of this before? It was so loud I literally had ringing in my ears last night and this morning.
I had the same noise today on my 19 ram.I have 900 miles.didn't do it rest of the day

Spikefoof

Reaction score
Hi my first dodge truck.I have 900 miles on my 19 ram.today loud humming noise.eventually it went away.called dealer they have no idea.

ponypride

Reaction score
Curious if the problem is with both the. Alpine and HK radios

Users who are viewing this thread