5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lots of issues reported, curious who’s had no issues, major ones anyway?

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 Big Horn 1500 driven for 10,000 miles and never took it to the dealership for any problems, however it did suffer from the poor AC system which I fixed with the valve hack.

2020 Laramie 7500 miles and had zero problems until they did an OTA update on the 12” screen a couple months ago in which the radio freezes on start up about 1 of 5 mornings and I lose all radio and bluetooth speaker function. New radio on back order and waiting. Also have a clunk in left front suspension over bumps and when turning to the left. I think the culprit was a loose lower ball joint nut which I tightened myself and haven’t heard the clunk since. To add the AC performance is also poor on the 2020.

Last edited:

Wsmith

Reaction score
2019 Big Horn 1500 driven for 10,000 miles and never took it to the dealership for any problems, however it did suffer from the poor AC system which I fixed with the valve hack.

2020 Laramie 7500 miles and had zero problems until they did an OTA update on the 12” screen a couple months ago in which the radio freezes on start up about 1 of 5 mornings and I lose all radio and bluetooth speaker function. New radio on back order and waiting. Also have a clunk in left front suspension over bumps and when turning to the left. I think the culprit was a loose lower ball joint nut which I tightened myself and haven’t heard the clunk since.
How is the AC on the 2020 in comparison with your pre-hack 2019? My 2020 AC is pathetic but survivable.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How is the AC on the 2020 in comparison with your pre-hack 2019? My 2020 AC is pathetic but survivable.

Still poor. Can’t get AC to blow colder than 50 deg no matter what. I have owned two of these 5th gens and my buddy and coworker has owned two of them also , none of our 4 5th gen trucks has blown colder than 50 deg. His black limited was really bad, it would blow like 62 deg at 100 ambient. He got rid of that truck pretty quick.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 2020 Lone Star I purchased a week ago does not have the dual climate control like our other Rams. I just have the knob to adjust the fan speed and one knob for adjusting the temperature with no AUTO button or individual temp controls.

I've read and can now verify the AC on this 2020 is far better than our other Rams in the family which all have the dual climate control. This baby gets so cold I had to turn it down to half speed on the fan because my glasses keep fogging up after I get out of the truck. My understanding is the dual temp control is the problem for those with poor A/C performance which is associated with the blend door which FCA engineers either can't or won't produce a fix.

Last edited:

Wsmith

Reaction score
The 2020 Lone Star I purchased a week ago does not have the dual climate control like our other Rams. I just has the knob to adjust the fan with no AUTO button or individual temp controls. I've read and can now verify the AC on this 2020 is far better than our other Rams in the family which all have the dual climate control. This baby gets so cold I had to turn it down to half speed on the fan because my glasses keep fogging up after I get out of the truck.
Do you have the level 1 or level 2. Maybe that's the difference in the dual zone. My non lone star bighorn has level 2 with dual zone. I would give that up in a heartbeat for cold air.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Big Horn Level 1 Equipment Group.
Other optional equipment includes Front/Rear Rubber Floor Mats, 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio, 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque Engine, 275/55R20 All-Season LRR Tire, 20-inch x 9-inch Aluminum Chrome Clad Wheels, Remote Start System and ParkSense Front and Rear Park-Assist with Stop.
And icy cold A/C.

Wsmith

Reaction score
I have the Big Horn Level 1 Equipment Group.
Other optional equipment includes Front/Rear Rubber Floor Mats, 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio, 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque Engine, 275/55R20 All-Season LRR Tire, 20-inch x 9-inch Aluminum Chrome Clad Wheels, Remote Start System and ParkSense Front and Rear Park-Assist with Stop.
And icy cold A/C.
Maybe there is something with the dual zone that is the culprit.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just curious who’s had little to no issue with their RAM so far. Most vehicles have some issues but barring the minor who’s out there with little to no issues with their truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 Ram Bighorn Hemi Etorque 4wd. Had a transmission software update....no issues otherwise. 22,560 miles on the clock to date.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have the level 1 or level 2. Maybe that's the difference in the dual zone. My non lone star bighorn has level 2 with dual zone. I would give that up in a heartbeat for cold air.

I’ve had dual zone and basic single zone, AC performance was identical.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is applicable to the 1500s too

Yes it is, this poor AC performance reared it’s head with the 2019 5th gen models of both 1500 and 2500 Trucks. I traded in a 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie that would freeze me out for a 2019 Ram 1500 that had me thinking my AC didn’t work. What’s funny is a buddy of mine bought a new 2019 1500 classic and his AC blows 12 deg colder than the multiple 5th gens I’ve put the thermometer in. He can get 38 out of his vents. So it’s clearly something in the redesign of the HVAC system of the 5th gen models.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 Bighorn purchased October 2019

-Master brake cylinder needed replacing at 1500 miles (after a heavy braking effort)
- Transmission Valve body needed replacing at 3000 miles (tranny got stuck in 3rd)
- Drivers side mirror replaced at 10,000 miles (it was loose/vibrating)
- Rear window crack, leaking, entire rear window replaced at 11,000 miles

At 12,000 miles now and all is well.. hoping that’s the last of the issues.

Despite all the issues I’m greatly enjoying this truck and plan on keeping it a long time.

taz2016

Reaction score
My 2019 Bighorn with 7000 miles has had no problems other than the worst air conditioner I've had in decades. It's the basic system so I can confirm the problems are not only in 2 zone systems.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Major issue were defective Bridgestones. The annoying little ones are interior squeaks/rattles, tailgate or something in the rear clunking over small bumps, leaking third brake light, and mediocre AC.

Still enjoying it though, it took a couple years and many beers to chase all the gremlins out of my 4th gen

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Major issue were defective Bridgestones. The annoying little ones are interior squeaks/rattles, tailgate or something in the rear clunking over small bumps, leaking third brake light, and mediocre AC.

Still enjoying it though, it took a couple years and many beers to chase all the gremlins out of my 4th gen
Just a thought on your clunk, if you have your hitch and ball installed, that clunks inside the receiver over bumps. I padded my hitch with rubber tape on top, then inserted into receiver. Bump is gone.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
15 months in now, zero confirmed issues (knocking on wood now).

Tranny is silky smooth on upshift and downshifts, actually impresses me how well it works. A/C is plenty cold, no leaks, no fit and finish issues, no engine lights or weird noises, doesn't consume a drop of oil.

One area of notice is sometimes, I feel a slight bit of feedback in the steering wheel when turning left at slow speeds. I suspect a tire issue, will report if it gets bad enough that a tech can actual notice it.

Bighorned

Reaction score
I'll be honest. I have 17000 on her how and the only issues ive had is the door alignment which I fixed myself adjusting hinges on drivers door and the rear brake groan when backing up. which hasn't driven me to the point where I need to get it to the dealer. Other than that the truck has been perfect. Shifting, powertrain, etc. I had an update to the uconnnect 8.4 for the radio shutting off but that fixed it.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a thought on your clunk, if you have your hitch and ball installed, that clunks inside the receiver over bumps. I padded my hitch with rubber tape on top, then inserted into receiver. Bump is gone.
This is the real $16 fix for a loose/noisy hitch. Just towed 300 mi with it and my hitch which would clunk every time I accelerated or stopped was smooth and quiet. Works great!

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
2019 Ram Bighorn Hemi Etorque 4wd. Had a transmission software update....no issues otherwise. 22,560 miles on the clock to date.
Same here but no ET. 10K miles, 1 dealer trip for a downshift shudder. Biggest issue to me is battery resting voltage of 12.3 if not driven daily, which it never is. I have to use a 4 amp charger at least every 10-14 days to ensure I don’t lose the battery due to it getting too discharged.

Users who are viewing this thread