5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lots of issues reported, curious who’s had no issues, major ones anyway?

Wsmith

Reaction score
Same here but no ET. 10K miles, 1 dealer trip for a downshift shudder. Biggest issue to me is battery resting voltage of 12.3 if not driven daily, which it never is. I have to use a 4 amp charger at least every 10-14 days to ensure I don’t lose the battery due to it getting too discharged.
I could be driving for hours, as soon as I shut the truck off battery drops to 12.3v. I assumed this was fine since it is a 12v battery. Charging it is a little over 14v.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here but no ET. 10K miles, 1 dealer trip for a downshift shudder. Biggest issue to me is battery resting voltage of 12.3 if not driven daily, which it never is. I have to use a 4 amp charger at least every 10-14 days to ensure I don’t lose the battery due to it getting too discharged.
12.3 volts is pretty low, I'd make a warranty appointment.
attachment.php

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just a thought on your clunk, if you have your hitch and ball installed, that clunks inside the receiver over bumps. I padded my hitch with rubber tape on top, then inserted into receiver. Bump is gone.
I wish it was that, but it's not the hitch. It only happens at low speed, like 25 mph or under but doesn't do it all the time. It does sound just like a hitch though. Going to try loosening and tightening the bed and body bolts along with the trailing arm bolts one day. Could be the nature of the floating rear axle as well. I'm sick of trying to figure it out so for now I've fixed it with radio volume

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've heard that's very common with a lot of the late model vehicles nowadays. They constantly use battery voltage even when not on for a few days. Happened in my 2013 F-150, and in my 2014 Ford Edge (had a dead battery every couple months) This is why I said screw Ford...and went with RAM.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
This is my 5th Ram (7th FCA vehicle) in 9 years and the worst qc and issues by far. Really disappointing. Based on this truck, my Ram streak is definitely over. While most should be fixable; and minor issues are to be expected on a mass produced truck; the amount of issues on my truck are unacceptable and don't instill much confidence in the brand.

1) Hood installed crooked (DS rear almost touching and sitting proud about 3/8" where ds front has monster gap), front fender bowed out proud of door by 1/4" and large gap between fender and A pillar, huge paint imperfection in DS rear door (appears to be bondo from factory repair), large paint sag below DS rear door, ds rear exhaust tip almost touching LS bumper surround, remote start temp sensor is screwed up and turns on heated seats/wheel when hot outside and won't turn on anything when it's in the 30's. Also when starting the truck after remote start the temp controls won't revert back (if temp is set at 60 deg with AC on, and remote start turns on heat and blows hot air; hot air still continues blowing even though temp is showing 60 with AC on), tires severly out of balance at 60mph, loud squeak/rattle in DS front brake over bumps, etorque motor whines, etc, etc, etc, AC is weak at best but when temp is set to 70 degrees it blows air so hot you can barely hold your hand over the vent.

Previous issues on Rams:

2011 box was installed so far the mounting holes had to be auger'd out to get it to even remotely line up, huge seat wrinkles/humps in leather after a few months from just sitting (I weigh 170 lol)

2013 Ongoing air suspension issues that were never resolved

2016 Ongoing air suspension issues, minor quibbles like fender flares falling off from crappy 3m tape, etc.

2018 Got smart and avoided air suspension, best truck as far as fit and finish. Only strange issue was major clunking from front end the night I drove it home. When in service a large rusted tool press like instrument was found wedged in the front suspension??????

So out of 5 Rams, the 18 was the only one that even remotely met basic standards for qc (other than missing a gigantic tool stuffed under truck lol). While no other brands are problem free; Rams are known to be severely lacking in fit/finish/quality compared to other mfg's.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^this sounds like dealer performed subpar repairs after they took delivery and damaged it somehow. And with as awful as it all sounds, how was it not caught pre-purchase. Think it would have been a hard pass for me if it looks as bad as it sounds (before I ever signed on the dotted line).

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
Considering it's my dealership; I'm going to say no. ;) I do love how everyone is super quick to blame the dealer though. :) You'd be surprised how many vehicles come from factory with previous repairs. Happens more often then you'd think.

Unlike some of you on here; I don't go over truck with fine tooth comb when purchasing lol. These were caught a couple days later when washing it.

^^^this sounds like dealer performed subpar repairs after they took delivery and damaged it somehow. And with as awful as it all sounds, how was it not caught pre-purchase. Think it would have been a hard pass for me if it looks as bad as it sounds (before I ever signed on the dotted line).

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Considering it's my dealership; I'm going to say no. ;) I do love how everyone is super quick to blame the dealer though. :) You'd be surprised how many vehicles come from factory with previous repairs. Happens more often then you'd think.

Unlike some of you on here; I don't go over truck with fine tooth comb when purchasing lol. These were caught a couple days later when washing it.
Well, then you obviously picked the wrong one off your lot. Good thing for you is, you can pass this sh** off to another unsuspecting customer and grab the keys to your next choice.

And see if you can motivate your service department to come up with some quality repairs for your other issues and pass them on here

SD Rebel

Reaction score

From a guy I knew who worked manufacturer transit, he said most damage that does occur happens between the factory to the dealership. From the factory to the railway, then to the railway hubs and finally hubs to the dealerships. He said there are whole repair departments set-up at rail hubs just to handle the damaged vehicles in transit.

The 2nd most damage happens at the dealership level, vehicles sitting on the lot for months at a time are open to all kinds of things before they are finally delivered. He said it's rare for exterior cosmetic issues to leave the factory. However things like software updates and mechanical service bulletins are often taken care of at dealer level.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
Well, then you obviously picked the wrong one off your lot. Good thing for you is, you can pass this sh** off to another unsuspecting customer and grab the keys to your next choice.

And see if you can motivate your service department to come up with some quality repairs for your other issues and pass them on here

I believe in being ethical. I'm not going to look the other way and sell it to someone else, so they can have problems. ;) Most dealers are pretty upstanding. It was the last laramie night edition out there. I actually ordered a gray night edition and it went MIA in the order bank. My last night edition was white and I had no problem going that direction again.

I will report back on some updates to the gremlins I have on mine.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
From a guy I knew who worked manufacturer transit, he said most damage that does occur happens between the factory to the dealership. From the factory to the railway, then to the railway hubs and finally hubs to the dealerships. He said there are whole repair departments set-up at rail hubs just to handle the damaged vehicles in transit.

The 2nd most damage happens at the dealership level, vehicles sitting on the lot for months at a time are open to all kinds of things before they are finally delivered. He said it's rare for exterior cosmetic issues to leave the factory. However things like software updates and mechanical service bulletins are often taken care of at dealer level.

Without a doubt. You would be amazed at what I've seen over the years. Like I mentioned; I know better than to expect perfection on mass produced vehicles. This one (body issues aside) just has more gremlins than I've seen in past years.

Steveu

Reaction score
Just curious who’s had little to no issue with their RAM so far. Most vehicles have some issues but barring the minor who’s out there with little to no issues with their truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a 2019 Loaded up with 23,000 zero issues. Truck is amazing. Thinking about trading for a 2021

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Without a doubt. You would be amazed at what I've seen over the years. Like I mentioned; I know better than to expect perfection on mass produced vehicles. This one (body issues aside) just has more gremlins than I've seen in past years.

I don't doubt it, I don't think FCA was prepared for how popular the RAM and Jeep lines were going to be these last few years. I think they are probably missing some QC on the line to speed things up. Also, all FCA dealerships are currently ranked at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to customer satisfaction (except Land Rover which is last), mainly because they are overworked with vehicles.

I never had a service advisor try to dissuade me from getting an oil change before, just because I was a little early for an oil change, but that's how packed FCA dealers are in a lot of places. Its why I switched to doing my own maintenance at this time.

brettguercio

Reaction score
Just curious who’s had little to no issue with their RAM so far. Most vehicles have some issues but barring the minor who’s out there with little to no issues with their truck.

Bad vibration issuse rams service department sucks the cant duplicate or its normal after 7 failed service attempts i gave up

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Loaded up with 23,000 zero issues. Truck is amazing. Thinking about trading for a 2021
Why trade it off since there‘s little to no difference with the 21’s?
If yours is a “built on a Wednesday at 10 am” truck, it might be better to keep it and not risk a “built Friday at 4pm” like the poster a few comments above (#105) must have gotten.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I've heard that's very common with a lot of the late model vehicles nowadays. They constantly use battery voltage even when not on for a few days. Happened in my 2013 F-150, and in my 2014 Ford Edge (had a dead battery every couple months) This is why I said screw Ford...and went with RAM.
Not to derail but my 14’ Edge does the same thing, Ferd has an aggressive battery management system (BMS) which has been a headache for many owners since 2011. The F150 forums have several threads about it.
12.3v, while low for a FLA or AGM battery at a resting state, is getting to be more common due to the “smart” alternators not wanting to use the additional engine power to charge all the time.

CDP110

Reaction score

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
This is my 5th Ram (7th FCA vehicle) in 9 years and the worst qc and issues by far. Really disappointing. Based on this truck, my Ram streak is definitely over. While most should be fixable; and minor issues are to be expected on a mass produced truck; the amount of issues on my truck are unacceptable and don't instill much confidence in the brand.

1) Hood installed crooked (DS rear almost touching and sitting proud about 3/8" where ds front has monster gap), front fender bowed out proud of door by 1/4" and large gap between fender and A pillar, huge paint imperfection in DS rear door (appears to be bondo from factory repair), large paint sag below DS rear door, ds rear exhaust tip almost touching LS bumper surround, remote start temp sensor is screwed up and turns on heated seats/wheel when hot outside and won't turn on anything when it's in the 30's. Also when starting the truck after remote start the temp controls won't revert back (if temp is set at 60 deg with AC on, and remote start turns on heat and blows hot air; hot air still continues blowing even though temp is showing 60 with AC on), tires severly out of balance at 60mph, loud squeak/rattle in DS front brake over bumps, etorque motor whines, etc, etc, etc, AC is weak at best but when temp is set to 70 degrees it blows air so hot you can barely hold your hand over the vent.

Previous issues on Rams:

2011 box was installed so far the mounting holes had to be auger'd out to get it to even remotely line up, huge seat wrinkles/humps in leather after a few months from just sitting (I weigh 170 lol)

2013 Ongoing air suspension issues that were never resolved

2016 Ongoing air suspension issues, minor quibbles like fender flares falling off from crappy 3m tape, etc.

2018 Got smart and avoided air suspension, best truck as far as fit and finish. Only strange issue was major clunking from front end the night I drove it home. When in service a large rusted tool press like instrument was found wedged in the front suspension??????

So out of 5 Rams, the 18 was the only one that even remotely met basic standards for qc (other than missing a gigantic tool stuffed under truck lol). While no other brands are problem free; Rams are known to be severely lacking in fit/finish/quality compared to other mfg's.
Sorry to hear about your issues with RAM. Sure seems like a lot of pesky problems in a row. All I can say is for every one that has bigger issues there seems to be many more without, else the forums would be blown up with complaints. Go read each brand/forum and you’ll see.
My brother left GM very recently for RAM due to miserable Dmax issues.

CDP110

Reaction score

I had PCM replaced Tried starting 2 weeks ago and pcm had failure in file relay which in turn made starter keep trying to start truck but no fuel do to relay from PCM. Melted starter. New PCM And new starter

CDP110

Reaction score
I had PCM replaced Tried starting 2 weeks ago and pcm had failure in file relay which in turn made starter keep trying to start truck but no fuel do to relay from PCM. Melted starter. New PCM And new starter
Fuel relay

Users who are viewing this thread