5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lots of issues reported, curious who’s had no issues, major ones anyway?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not to derail but my 14’ Edge does the same thing, Ferd has an aggressive battery management system (BMS) which has been a headache for many owners since 2011. The F150 forums have several threads about it.
12.3v, while low for a FLA or AGM battery at a resting state, is getting to be more common due to the “smart” alternators not wanting to use the additional engine power to charge all the time.
..that proves my point lol. That's why I had enough of Ford

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Some of the problem is the incessant quest for every tenth of a mile per gallon thanks to CAFE standards. Shutting off the alternator saves a tiny amount of horsepower load on the engine but costs some owners multiple batteries.
Lower front air dams that get caught on and ripped off from parking lot (concrete) stops, tailgate top extensions which force the redesign of canopy toppers (adding to cost and preventing a good seal from water), everything that is redesigned to add mpg’s seems to end up costing the owner more money for other issues. Part of the reason we have$75K+ trucks now.

I don’t even want to think of what the cost is to rebuild GM and Ferd’s 10 speed transmissions. Our ZF 8 speed will be expensive enough.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your issues with RAM. Sure seems like a lot of pesky problems in a row. All I can say is for every one that has bigger issues there seems to be many more without, else the forums would be blown up with complaints. Go read each brand/forum and you’ll see.
My brother left GM very recently for RAM due to miserable Dmax issues.

Absolutely. The forums are sounding boards for complaints more than compliments. Nature of the beast.

I take most of the issues I've had with a grain of salt. Most problems, while inconvenient, are fixable. Issues that should have been addressed while at the factory that aren't are just poor business practices. Mine clearly was not an accident after the fact. It's easy to tell when things have been fixed after it leaves the factory. These were all done before. The part that raises question is everyone knows that Ram varies quite a bit across their lineup. You can look at 5 trucks on a lot and half of them will have issues. I think the majority of people really don't care, which is why it doesn't get voiced more than it does. I'm OCD about body lines/gaps etc so this bugs me more than someone else; especially as it's such a simple thing for them to correct.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just a thought on your clunk, if you have your hitch and ball installed, that clunks inside the receiver over bumps. I padded my hitch with rubber tape on top, then inserted into receiver. Bump is gone.
I finally found the clunk after many dead ends, wasted free time, busted knuckles and the occasional burn from the exhaust as well as the wife. It's the stupid rear cab vents flapping. The thing that drove me nuts was the seemingly random nature. Long story short they will not make the noise if the fan is on bringing in outside air, creating pressure in the cabin holding the vents open. If the fan is off, or if you have the window open they flap and make noise over certain choppy bumps, but only at low speeds. I assume circulating wind at higher speed hold the flaps open with negative pressure

Users who are viewing this thread