5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for suggestions for performance chip, intake and exhaust

Bluebaloo

Reaction score
I have a new 2022 Longhorn. I'm interested in getting these performance parts to increase hp, diminish lag on throttle, improve engine efficiency and even better if it improves mpg. I've head of a few brands for the intake and exhaust but I'm still shooting in the dark and I don't want to miss. Also, considering a chip or maybe throttle switch like the JMS Pedal Max or maybe something better.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance
Alan

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a new 2022 Longhorn. I'm interested in getting these performance parts to increase hp, diminish lag on throttle, improve engine efficiency and even better if it improves mpg. I've head of a few brands for the intake and exhaust but I'm still shooting in the dark and I don't want to miss. Also, considering a chip or maybe throttle switch like the JMS Pedal Max or maybe something better.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance
Alan
I love Borla exhausts.

I have seen good things about Sprint Booster (like JMS Pedal Max)

There is also the Pulsar unit, which I think can work like the Sprint Booster\Pedal Max and can give you some partial tunes (since it doesn't actually tune anything).

For Intakes I don't know if you can go wrong with any really
Mopar Ram Air 77072428AC
Vararam VR-Grabber-5th (cheaper)

On a side note about engine efficiency on my 22 I noticed there was a second filter build into the top of the air intake box, rip it out and enjoy better mpg, I wasn't even able to blow air through the filter touching my lips with my fingers on the other side. It's just 6ish screws to open it up. It's above the regular air filter. Not sure if all 22s have it or not.

I'm sure other people have stuff to add. I generally don't go past air intakes, exhausts, and tunes on my vehicles. I have yet to choose an air intake for my ram yet.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I like the Pulsar. Adds a mild tune that eliminates throttle lag, gives you better response off the line, better shifting, and offers more adjustability for performance or economy, whichever you desire. Intake and exhaust will give you more driving enjoyment (and more is better!), though actual horsepower increase won't be realized without true $$.

tob1y2k7

Reaction score
I put S&B intake and Borla S-Type exhaust and it sounds awesome! on a 2022 Laramie with Etorqe.
I can not tell if it increase the mpg but definitely decreased for me, can't get my foot off the peddle it sounds so good lol
I'm looking for a tune as well but haven't seen anything I like....

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You won't see much if any performance improvement with an intake/exhaust upgrade on these trucks. The factory systems are not very restrictive. But you will notice a sound difference with both, and like @tob1y2k7 said, your mileage will likely suffer from having them LOL. I have the Mopar Ram Air intake and I love it. Probably does very little to improve performance, but I like how it looks every time I open my hood. And I wanted to free up engine bay space for other purposes.

Chopemupgood

Reaction score
So the question to be answered is, is there a way to increase HP with just a chip, or do you have to get into the big $$ to make an actual difference?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So the question to be answered is, is there a way to increase HP with just a chip, or do you have to get into the big $$ to make an actual difference?
The Pulsar does increase HP on performance mode. Not as much as a true custom tune. I'm not sure if it's compatible with 22 model year though.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just want to let you know that after you have no throttle lag and louder exhaust, you fuel mileage will not go up, it will go DOWN.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remember there hasn't been "chips" to change on trucks since 1995. Piggyback modules simply fool the ECU into thinking the air temp is cooler. FCA has used "locked" ECU's for quite some time, so real tuning will need that unlocked. This will most likely void at least your powertrain warranty, so you have to weigh your options.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Remember there hasn't been "chips" to change on trucks since 1995. Piggyback modules simply fool the ECU into thinking the air temp is cooler. FCA has used "locked" ECU's for quite some time, so real tuning will need that unlocked. This will most likely void at least your powertrain warranty, so you have to weigh your options.
The Pulsar is a piggy back module and does far more than just trick the PCM into thinking temps are cooler.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Lots of things will "increase HP" will you notice it is a better question
My ECU is unlocked and turned.
No it does not void my powertrain warranty.
If something I did to my truck damages it then oblivious FCA would not be on the hook.

Saying it voids your powertrain warranty is like saying if you changed the tires on your truck and you had axle problems.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of things will "increase HP" will you notice it is a better question

My ECU is unlocked and turned.
No it does not void my powertrain warranty.
If something I did to my truck damages it then oblivious FCA would not be on the hook.

Saying it voids your powertrain warranty is like saying if you changed the tires on your truck and you had axle problems.
I have a couple local Mopar friends who had their cars red flagged in the system, basically voiding their power train warranty, because they had an unlocked/tuned PCM on the car and took it in for warranty work on the engine. But I also have friends who have had more than one engine replaced under warranty because they knew the tech doing the work at dealer, and another friend was able to modify the data logs before they were sent to Dodge.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a couple local Mopar friends who had their cars red flagged in the system, basically voiding their power train warranty, because they had an unlocked/tuned PCM on the car and took it in for warranty work on the engine. But I also have friends who have had more than one engine replaced under warranty because they knew the tech doing the work at dealer, and another friend was able to modify the data logs before they were sent to Dodge.
Stupid dealerships doing stupid things does not trump US laws or standards.
Sometimes you need to fight for your rights if a privately owned company is taking advantage of you, this is nothing new.

If you do something to modify your car\truck and it causes damage don't expect the warranty to cover it as you are in the wrong.

People here will debate this till the world ends.
If you are really concerned call an attorney in your state and ask them if it is legal, and how much it would cost to hire them if denied a warranty claim in the future.

Here is some additional information if anyone wants to read it from the Auto Care Association.

"get educated​

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits product manufacturers from conditioning consumer warranties on the use of any original equipment part or service. Furthermore, a manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if it can demonstrate that a non-original equipment part or related service caused a defect to occur in the original product. In the case of motor vehicles, new car manufacturers have ignored these conditions outlined in Magnuson-Moss and have misled consumers to believe that they must have dealer service shops install only original equipment replacement parts or fear having their new car warranty voided."

This is another website that makes some good comments too (it's a law firm's website not the government)

Many modifications people do to their cars fall outside of the “article or service” contemplated by the statute. Suppose you loved the way Vin Diesel could pull wheelies in 13th gear in his Charger and figured a little of that “NOS” would do the same for your car. Even if your little four-banger won’t pull wheelies in any gear, it now puts out a few more horses than before. So, if you find the transmission spitting out teeth like it’s been punched in the mouth by Mike Tyson, you can bet the manufacturer might blame the problem on the increased power being fed to the trans.
The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act requires manufacturers to honor their warranties and auto manufacturers only warrant their vehicles against manufacturing defects. Your claim here could be denied because the failure was not due to a defect in a factory component. It was caused by something added to the car: the nitrous oxide injection system which was not part of your car to begin with. That system caused a non-defective part to fail. Your mod did not void the warranty. It’s just that the failure was not caused by a factory defect.

Learn and understands your rights and don't trust anyone's word on the internet, myself included.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes you need to fight for your rights if a privately owned company is taking advantage of you, this is nothing new.

If you do something to modify your car\truck and it causes damage don't expect the warranty to cover it as you are in the wrong.

If you are really concerned call an attorney in your state and ask them if it is legal, and how much it would cost to hire them if denied a warranty claim in the future.

Here is some additional information if anyone wants to read it from the Auto Care Association.

"get educated​

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits product manufacturers from conditioning consumer warranties on the use of any original equipment part or service. Furthermore, a manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if it can demonstrate that a non-original equipment part or related service caused a defect to occur in the original product. In the case of motor vehicles, new car manufacturers have ignored these conditions outlined in Magnuson-Moss and have misled consumers to believe that they must have dealer service shops install only original equipment replacement parts or fear having their new car warranty voided."

This is another website that makes some good comments too (it's a law firm's website not the government)

Many modifications people do to their cars fall outside of the “article or service” contemplated by the statute. Suppose you loved the way Vin Diesel could pull wheelies in 13th gear in his Charger and figured a little of that “NOS” would do the same for your car. Even if your little four-banger won’t pull wheelies in any gear, it now puts out a few more horses than before. So, if you find the transmission spitting out teeth like it’s been punched in the mouth by Mike Tyson, you can bet the manufacturer might blame the problem on the increased power being fed to the trans.
The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act requires manufacturers to honor their warranties and auto manufacturers only warrant their vehicles against manufacturing defects. Your claim here could be denied because the failure was not due to a defect in a factory component. It was caused by something added to the car: the nitrous oxide injection system which was not part of your car to begin with. That system caused a non-defective part to fail. Your mod did not void the warranty. It’s just that the failure was not caused by a factory defect.

Learn and understands your rights and don't trust anyone's word on the internet, myself included.
I know everything you just said. Don't need you to give me a lesson or say I need to get educated.

If you blow up your engine because of a bad tune, there is no warranty. Any added performance over factory is going to be blamed for problems because you are trying to operate the power train outside factory specs. Will an intake or exhaust cause issues no. But once you start modifying the PCM tune, or opening up the engine, might as well not even worry about taking it to the dealer.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know everything you just said. Don't need you to give me a lesson or say I need to get educated.

If you blow up your engine because of a bad tune, there is no warranty. Any added performance over factory is going to be blamed for problems because you are trying to operate the power train outside factory specs. Will an intake or exhaust cause issues no. But once you start modifying the PCM tune, or opening up the engine, might as well not even worry about taking it to the dealer.
The post wasn't for just you, there are hundreds of people that read these threads. a clogged exhaust or intake could cause problems with the engine just like a tune would.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a guide for some free Hp

5th gens dont have clutch fans. At least my 2020 didn't. Weight reduction doesn't add HP. It will lower your times. I prefer to run full street weight in my daily driver so I know what it will do every day. Maybe some day I will strip it and see what it I'll run with weight reduction

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know I was just messin with y’all. Lol

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

"get educated​

I know a couple of people who's vehicles were flagged once they did a service, that their ECUs were unlocked and immediately flagged as no-go's if they come in for powertrain service.

Yes you can fight for your rights, everyone says the Magnuson law, but in reality the dealerships say no, you can't force them to work on your truck, your only option is going to court, that can take a while while your vehicle is down and in the end, you may still not win your case if they say you got a dodgy tune that screwed whatever on your powertrain.

I mean we aren't talking about an aftermarket air filter here, but literally how your engine works, how it uses fuel, how it operates, even how the tranny shifts and how hard it does it. It's not going to be difficult for a dealership or factory to say what you did screwed something up. Yes they have to prove it, but they can sit on their hands while you make them prove it in court, not sure if it's worth the time and money that will take, all for a few hp you may never notice on a 5,000 plus pound truck?

Last edited:

ratchet74

Reaction score
Get rid of all of the throttle lag, and you will have a big grin on your face - I did. I did this after a lot of research,. It was not the least expensive, but I believe it is of the best options. I did just the pedal monster & just adjust with my phone (no idash controller on the window). Took it back for TSBs, ECU reflashes. Popped it off ina minute or so, and no issues.

Warning: when you go to the track mode, I woud suggest a more premium fuel to avoid spark knock.

There are other versions out there (& I cannot comment on them, as I have not used them on my truck) but Gale Banks has been around for a long time, and I believe a lot of their products have a bit more engineering behind them than others, but that is just my opinion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread