5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for suggestions for performance chip, intake and exhaust

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely. Now I have the ability to tune for any changes I decide to make in the future. Also I can turn off MDS in the tune if I decide.
Do you remember how many credits a DT ram takes? I should have 4 left.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you remember how many credits a DT ram takes? I should have 4 left.
I just looked and it says 2 credits. You don't have to buy credits for every time your write, right? It's just 2 for the truck then you can write/flash that specific truck forever?

Gunner69

Reaction score
Remember there hasn't been "chips" to change on trucks since 1995. Piggyback modules simply fool the ECU into thinking the air temp is cooler. FCA has used "locked" ECU's for quite some time, so real tuning will need that unlocked. This will most likely void at least your powertrain warranty, so you have to weigh your options.
I did that very thing on an 04 5.7 truck I had. I put a resistor in the IAT circuit, making the ECU think the temp was cooler. It worked, and I got worse mileage for being in closed loop operation the entire time. The knife cuts both ways.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did that very thing on an 04 5.7 truck I had. I put a resistor in the IAT circuit, making the ECU think the temp was cooler. It worked, and I got worse mileage for being in closed loop operation the entire time. The knife cuts both ways.
I think you mean open loop. But an IAT resistor shouldn't keep the PCM in open loop. Just increased fuel enrichment

Adjutant

Reaction score
Having a less restrictive exhaust will not increase HP?
I added a 87mm throttle body, vararam, LT headers, borla exhaust. and 3.92 gears.
I was able to spin my tires from a dead stop, and easily outran my friend in his stock Limited 1500

It absolutely added very noticeable HP to my truck.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I added a 87mm throttle body, vararam, LT headers, borla exhaust. and 3.92 gears.
I was able to spin my tires from a dead stop, and easily outran my friend in his stock Limited 1500

OK?
This is what my post you quoted said.

Borla Exhaust
None of those are going to add any noticeable Horsepower increases.
People will claim them, but consistently proven data, from multiple sources, simply is not there to support it.
Having a less restrictive exhaust will not increase HP?

I never said they wouldn't. Also any truck can\should be able to spin tires from a dead stop if you turn off traction control, spinning tires means slower starts beucase of loss of traction for what it's worth.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

My tires spun from a dead stop bone stock. And without a tune, you aren't seeing much gain

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

I bet most of what u felt was from the 3.92 gears.

RamMamasuki

Reaction score
I put S&B intake and Borla S-Type exhaust and it sounds awesome! on a 2022 Laramie with Etorqe.
I can not tell if it increase the mpg but definitely decreased for me, can't get my foot off the peddle it sounds so good lol
I'm looking for a tune as well but haven't seen anything I like....
I have the same set up and was getting 17.5 mpg now I added 35 inch tires to the original rims and I feel it went down .6 mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread