5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for suggestions for performance chip, intake and exhaust

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Get rid of all of the throttle lag, and you will have a big grin on your face - I did. I did this after a lot of research,. It was not the least expensive, but I believe it is of the best options. I did just the pedal monster & just adjust with my phone (no idash controller on the window). Took it back for TSBs, ECU reflashes. Popped it off ina minute or so, and no issues.

Warning: when you go to the track mode, I woud suggest a more premium fuel to avoid spark knock.

There are other versions out there (& I cannot comment on them, as I have not used them on my truck) but Gale Banks has been around for a long time, and I believe a lot of their products have a bit more engineering behind them than others, but that is just my opinion.
That looks like a well thought out product, and something I am going to look into, thanks for the vid link. Question, if all this is doing is adjusting pedal response, and not changing fuel or timing, how/why would it create spark knock?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Get rid of all of the throttle lag, and you will have a big grin on your face - I did. I did this after a lot of research,. It was not the least expensive, but I believe it is of the best options. I did just the pedal monster & just adjust with my phone (no idash controller on the window). Took it back for TSBs, ECU reflashes. Popped it off ina minute or so, and no issues.

Warning: when you go to the track mode, I woud suggest a more premium fuel to avoid spark knock.

There are other versions out there (& I cannot comment on them, as I have not used them on my truck) but Gale Banks has been around for a long time, and I believe a lot of their products have a bit more engineering behind them than others, but that is just my opinion.
There is absolutely zero need for premium just by using a throttle controller. Running the recommended 89 octane is all you should need.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
There is absolutely zero need for premium just by using a throttle controller. Running the recommended 89 octane is all you should need.
Yep.
If you have problems after installing a throttle controller you either got a bad unit, or you had problems with fuel before.
I find I get better mpg with 93 (we only have 87 and 93 at most places, sometimes 87, 91, and 93 are offered.

ratchet74

Reaction score
There is absolutely zero need for premium just by using a throttle controller. Running the recommended 89 octane is all you should need

I guess I did not see the 89 octane note, - or just got too excited, and just installed it with 87 in it. 🤷‍♂️ :oops: But if they recommended 89 over the standard 87, then I am sure that recommendation is warranted to avoid detonation.

I stepped up from 87 to 89 & that does the trick. As I said, a "more premium" fuel, or slightly higher octane. Does not seem to be much of an issue in the warmer months, but as it gets colder (I'm in MIchigan), I belive they may put some additives in the fuel and that surely does not help (seems to be worse in colder weather). If things are right on the edge (or you get questionable fuel, even from a reputable station), if you load your truck or pull a heavy trailer, you may notice some detonation. Also, engine loading at lower RPMs can also cause detonation (piston hangs around the top of the stroke a bit more where the charge has more time to heat up and then you get more multiple fires going on in the combustion area then you know what to do with at multiple times, creating waves banging into one another, which causes the knock). Different throttle responses in different parts of the RPM range are an input to that. So changng the response could very well be a contributor.

Ok - I'm over thnking this. :unsure:Just keep an eye out for detonation (or run the 89 as recommended).

Have a great day guys - It's Friday now.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I did not see the 89 octane note, - or just got too excited, and just installed it with 87 in it. 🤷‍♂️ :oops: But if they recommended 89 over the standard 87, then I am sure that recommendation is warranted to avoid detonation.

I stepped up from 87 to 89 & that does the trick. As I said, a "more premium" fuel, or slightly higher octane. Does not seem to be much of an issue in the warmer months, but as it gets colder (I'm in MIchigan), I belive they may put some additives in the fuel and that surely does not help (seems to be worse in colder weather). If things are right on the edge (or you get questionable fuel, even from a reputable station), if you load your truck or pull a heavy trailer, you may notice some detonation. Also, engine loading at lower RPMs can also cause detonation (piston hangs around the top of the stroke a bit more where the charge has more time to heat up and then you get more multiple fires going on in the combustion area then you know what to do with at multiple times, creating waves banging into one another, which causes the knock). Different throttle responses in different parts of the RPM range are an input to that. So changng the response could very well be a contributor.

Ok - I'm over thnking this. :unsure:Just keep an eye out for detonation (or run the 89 as recommended).

Have a great day guys - It's Friday now.
89 is the factory recommended octane for the the Hemi. Has nothing to do with the throttle controller. And yes, winter blended fuel sucks.

gofishn

Reaction score
I have a new 2022 Longhorn. I'm interested in getting these performance parts to increase hp, diminish lag on throttle, improve engine efficiency and even better if it improves mpg. I've head of a few brands for the intake and exhaust but I'm still shooting in the dark and I don't want to miss. Also, considering a chip or maybe throttle switch like the JMS Pedal Max or maybe something better.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance
Alan

Pulsar or Tazer for improved throttle lag
S&B Intake
Borla Exhaust
RAM Air Intake OEM or Vararam

None of those are going to add any noticeable Horsepower increases.
People will claim them, but consistently proven data, from multiple sources, simply is not there to support it.

Actual, real world proven horsepower increases are possible but they are going to be beyond practical expensive, for most folks, and positively void your warranty, again, something most folks would tend to avoid. If your personal financial situation makes both of these things palatable, terrific and...if possible, I'd like to be Adopted.

If such is the case, then we can definitely help you turn that truck in a darn impressive Race Track Monster.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pulsar or Tazer for improved throttle lag
S&B Intake
Borla Exhaust
RAM Air Intake OEM or Vararam

People will claim them, but consistently proven data, from multiple sources, simply is not there to support it.

Actual, real world proven horsepower increases are possible but they are going to be beyond practical expensive, for most folks, and positively void your warranty, again, something most folks would tend to avoid. If your personal financial situation makes both of these things palatable, terrific and...if possible, I'd like to be Adopted.

If such is the case, then we can definitely help you turn that truck in a darn impressive Race Track Monster.
TazerDT can't do anything for throttle lag.

Pulsar is proven performance. It does more than just change throttle response. I have verified in back to back runs at a drag strip with half a second improvement, in 1/4 mile' going from "stock" to "performance" with the Pulsar. And about 3 tenths in the 1/8 mile

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
TazerDT can't do anything for throttle lag.

Pulsar is proven performance. It does more than just change throttle response. I have verified in back to back runs at a drag strip with half a second improvement, in 1/4 mile' going from "stock" to "performance" with the Pulsar. And about 3 tenths in the 1/8 mile
I haven't done any performance upgrades aside from the Pulsar and I can feel the difference in my butt Dyno. Truck picks up and moves in Performance mode. I drive in eco 99% of the time and find I'm a more patient driver with it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't done any performance upgrades aside from the Pulsar and I can feel the difference in my butt Dyno. Truck picks up and moves in Performance mode. I drive in eco 99% of the time and find I'm a more patient driver with it.
I also use Economy most of the time. I actually get 1.5 mpg better fuel mileage in economy

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Damn pulsar is expensive
Yeah, I would never pay full price for one. It's not that nice. I got mine used from a guy who traded his truck in on a TRX. He even sent it back to Edge, to get checked out and updated before he sold it. And paid less than half of what they go for new

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I would never pay full price for one. It's not that nice. I got mine used from a guy who traded his truck in on a TRX. He even sent it back to Edge, to get checked out and updated before he sold it. And paid less than half of what they go for new
I bought mine for about half from a guy on here too.

Edit: I intend on getting the 6.4 intake manifold and hemifever tune soon. So, my pulsar will be on here.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I guess I did not see the 89 octane note, - or just got too excited, and just installed it with 87 in it. 🤷‍♂️ :oops: But if they recommended 89 over the standard 87, then I am sure that recommendation is warranted to avoid detonation
You CAN use 87, but if you are towing you definitely want to use 89 or higher. If you just drove it around town i'm sure 87 would be fine.
89 is the factory recommended octane for the the Hemi. Has nothing to do with the throttle controller. And yes, winter blended fuel sucks.
It is recommend but not required. You can use 87, but if you have problems you would want to use a higher octane.
Personally I wouldn't run 87 in it.
Page 472 of the owners manual
This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded gasoline having an octane range of 87 to 89 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. The use of 89 octane plus gasoline is recommended for optimum performance and fuel economy.

Borla Exhaust

Having a less restrictive exhaust will not increase HP?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You CAN use 87, but if you are towing you definitely want to use 89 or higher. If you just drove it around town i'm sure 87 would be fine.

It is recommend but not required. You can use 87, but if you have problems you would want to use a higher octane.
Personally I wouldn't run 87 in it.
Page 472 of the owners manual
This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded gasoline having an octane range of 87 to 89 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. The use of 89 octane plus gasoline is recommended for optimum performance and fuel economy.

Having a less restrictive exhaust will not increase HP?
Is the Borla really mess restrictive?

ratchet74

Reaction score
Hey Darksteel - mine says the same thing on page 504 of the manual (I have a 21).

Towing - I definitley run 89 or better.

Bottom line - still more fun with the 89 octane and Pedal monster :)

Any time we have played on a dyno and let an engine breathe better, ie headers vs manifolds, or increasing the primary tube diameter, HP has always increased, poviding you have enough on the top end to flow more air. Its all about things working together, so given the right combo, it could increase HP a little.

Blubaloo - do eveything you want - it'll make it sound better, you'll feel a little crisper / responsive performance, and it'll make you feel good, especially when you are at a store or at a light & someone compliments your ride. I loved it when I had a pypes exhaust. I haven't heard a Borla, now I gotta go to Youtube which will not do it justice i am sure.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey Darksteel - mine says the same thing on page 504 of the manual (I have a 21).
Yes sorry I forgot to say I have a 22.
I need to make a signature but i'm too lazy to figure out how to format it.
I wouldn't recommend using 87, even though you could. These are big and hungry high performance engines. It does say the v6 is fine on 87 with no reason to increase (which makes sense)

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
87 runs fine, but you need 89 for max performance. At least that’s how it works in stock form.

Orion10182011

Reaction score
I already had HP Tuners due to my C6 Corvette. I purchased an unlocked ECU through HP Tuners and a Hemi tuning class from The Tuning School.

I am pleased with the results. Though this isn't the cheap way to do it. LOL

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I already had HP Tuners due to my C6 Corvette. I purchased an unlocked ECU through HP Tuners and a Hemi tuning class from The Tuning School.

I am pleased with the results. Though this isn't the cheap way to do it. LOL
So you made adjustments yourself?

Users who are viewing this thread