5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Line-X or drop-in?

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had factory drop-in bedliner on my previous truck, and I heavily used it for years. Carrying trash, yards of gravel and soil, bikes and other stuff. After years bed with drop-in still looked great.

Not I've switched to 2020 Rebel, and it didn't came with any bed liner - just glossy red-painted bed. I have two options:
1. Pendaliner drop-in bed liner, $300 plus tax.
2. Line-X spray bed liner, $575 plus tax.

I haven't used trucks with spray bed liners before, so I'm not sure that it is really durable. I drop concrete blocks and bricks to the bed often, and I don't want to be super careful with it - drop-in provides great impact-resistance. But I'm reading that debris can get under drop-in bed liner and corrode the metal after years. I haven't noticed anything like that on my previous truck, but I never removed drop-in liner to check what's beneath.

Surprisingly, I haven't found any topic on this forum, and almost all Line-X vs drop-in Google results and YouTube videos are sponsored by Line-X.

What are you thoughts on that? Especially interested in opinions of folks who were able to get Ram with factory spray bed liner.

STR

Reaction score
I’ve had drop-in liners installed in all of my previous trucks, and was generally satisfied. I elected the factory spray-on liner this time around on my ‘20 Rebel. I haven’t had it long enough to form an opinion except that it looks a lot better and seems more durable. The only negatives are that items slide around a little easier, and it feels like 60 grit sand paper. While waxing the truck between the bed and cab, the back of my hand scrapped the liner and actually broke the skin. Lesson learned.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I have loaded it up multiple times but I am not beating up on it very hard like construction use. Mine is still in perfect shape. On most other tucks I see that have had the Line-x installed for years, they might end up with a couple small chips in the liner but nothing noticeable. And you dont need to worry about water getting under it or the plastic warping after years of use etc... It is just better IMO.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
I’ve had drop-in liners installed in all of my previous trucks, and was generally satisfied. I elected the factory spray-on liner this time around on my ‘20 Rebel. I haven’t had it long enough to form an opinion except that it looks a lot better and seems more durable. The only negatives are that items slide around a little easier, and it feels like 60 grit sand paper. While waxing the truck between the bed and cab, the back of my hand scrapped the liner and actually broke the skin. Lesson learned.
Thanks. That is a con of Line-X - it scratches the cargo. E.g. I put a cabinet without the package and secure with tie-downs. Drop-in bedliner is smooth plastic (while still skid-resistant), so I don't need to worry about that.

So my current plan is:
1. Install drop-in for now (cheaper, doesn't scratch cargo, installed within minutes, I don't need to give away my truck for 1 day to apply Line-X)
2. Few years after take it off and check the condition of the bed. If it is beaten up, apply Line-X to prevent corrosion. Or even go with some DIY kit like Raptor.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You'll definitely need pads if you go with the spray in, but I had it for over a decade on my Titan with no cover, only in the garage a handful of times. Yeah it looked like it was a truck bed, but never got scratched through the liner and no dents. If I went in and scrubbed it really well it would just look faded (expected).

After seeing the condition of some beds with drop in liners (rust, dents, etc) I'll always have spray in.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A bad thing about a drop in... water gets underneath it/down the sides, eventually encourages formation of rust given time. More so than no drop in or Line-X.

With the spray in liners, I just use packing blankets to stop scratches. Easy peasy.

JimD007

Reaction score
My Tradesman didn't come with as many features as most if not all you guys trucks but it does have the factory spray in liner. I really like it. There are hard plastic pieces at the top including the tailgate. That helps with sliding things in. This is my first truck so I can't compare to a drop in liner. I do not find that things move around easily. I have a wooden box that is pretty big that I collect sawdust in and it doesn't slide easily in or out, but it will slide if you just push a little harder. I haven't hauled bricks or concrete yet but I do not baby it and have not noticed any damage. Mostly I've hauled wood and drywall. I really like my basic truck.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Line X then get a dee zee rubber mat but I also wouldn’t just purposely throw bricks and concrete in a expensive new truck either. It take very little time to place said items down. Keeping your truck looking nicer for much longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Line X then get a dee zee rubber mat but I also wouldn’t just purposely throw bricks and concrete in a expensive new truck either. It take very little time to place said items down. Keeping your truck looking nicer for much longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It is really hard to be gentle every time when you need to load 100+ concrete pavers on a parking lot of Home Depot ;)

A bad thing about a drop in... water gets underneath it/down the sides, eventually encourages formation of rust given time. More so than no drop in or Line-X.

With the spray in liners, I just use packing blankets to stop scratches. Easy peasy.
This is what I read in Line-X ads and Line-X sponsored videos... The question is - how long does it really take to scratch the bed to bare metal and see rust ;) If it is more then 3 years - then it is OK, drop-in liner doesn't survive for so long anyway. Replacing drop-in with spray liner is easy. Replacing damaged spray bed liner is pain.

Also it is interesting to see Pendaliner advertising their liner AGAINST spray ;) Here is an example: https://pendaliners.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/05/Pendaliner-vs.-Sprayon.pdf

Sherran

Reaction score
I have factory spray-in and I like it. It's my first truck with any kind of liner so I don't have much to compare it to. As others have stated, with the texture of the liner can def. damage items so I went ahead and bought a mat for it. I don't have a tonneau cover yet and I've had no issues with it attempting to escape out the bed when driving 85-90 mph down the highway.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had booth, I prefer the spray in for it's looks and also it does not flop or move. I've had drop in's lift when you hit a bump making noise. As for rust, I never had any rust with drop in's. You might get a few scuff marks in places but the repeated vibration that caused the scuffed paint also keeps any rust from forming.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go drop in....these guys that are recommending the spray - in obviously don't use their beds for any serious hauling (no offense). I always had drop in....decided to do the roll on kit (thicker than spray) due to many "great" recommendations. Hauled some cinder blocks and other big/heavy items...now I have dents as well as spots where the liner has started to peel. Never again!

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Spray in (line-x) here. Only issue is that it is slick so went with a bed mat so things don’t slide around.
But before the bed mat I threw in bicycles, kayaks and camping gear and no scratches.

also line-x has life time warranty

highgear2005

Reaction score
I’ve had both. Pros and cons to each. I had my truck sprayed with line x. If you go with a spray liner, buy a rubber mat! I got mine on amazon for under $90
If your hauling and throwing anything heavy or sharp edges,on a spray liner you can and will dent the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go drop in....these guys that are recommending the spray - in obviously don't use their beds for any serious hauling (no offense). I always had drop in....decided to do the roll on kit (thicker than spray) due to many "great" recommendations. Hauled some cinder blocks and other big/heavy items...now I have dents as well as spots where the liner has started to peel. Never again!
I've hauled close to 1000 pounds of cinderblocks/paver stones with my OEM sprayed liner that I loaded by hand. As long as you're not literally throwing them into the bed you shouldn't have issues. I've "thrown" lumber in the truck, but I was standing at the tailgate, picking it up, and tossing it into the bed with the tailgate down. I'm not dropping it out my second story window. I honestly don't know how you're denting the bed unless you're throwing a piece of concrete or stone over the tailgate into the bed. Don't believe those Chevy commercials. Also, OEM/professional application is going to be better than DIY almost every time.

badpewterz

Reaction score
drop in. easier on your skin if your in and out, more impact resistant, cheaper ( got my rugged liner under 250). more options like mine has side net pockets which is huge for me versatility wise. also i like how easily stuff will slide for getting coolers and stuff in and out easily net.jpg

Wsmith

Reaction score
I vote line-x had it in both of my pickups. Loved them will never own a truck without it. I intentionally shop for vehicles minus the factory spray in, so I can have Line-X installed.

fou

Reaction score
I had Line-X in my 18 Rebel and all my previous had liners. And I went back to Factory Liner for my 2020.
LineX do not protect against drop in of heavy equipment. My 18 box was all bang up ...

Users who are viewing this thread