5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Line-X or drop-in?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've hauled close to 1000 pounds of cinderblocks/paver stones with my OEM sprayed liner that I loaded by hand. As long as you're not literally throwing them into the bed you shouldn't have issues. I've "thrown" lumber in the truck, but I was standing at the tailgate, picking it up, and tossing it into the bed with the tailgate down. I'm not dropping it out my second story window. I honestly don't know how you're denting the bed unless you're throwing a piece of concrete or stone over the tailgate into the bed. Don't believe those Chevy commercials. Also, OEM/professional application is going to be better than DIY almost every time.
I can understand if it's the factory spray - in liner ...those are usually put on thicker and have better protection. But the roll on stuff I put on is twice as thick as line-x and it still got dented and some of it got scrapped off (without throwing things into the bed) I'm sorry...but the aftermarket spray-in liners are junk. Rhino liner used to be pretty good but even that sucks nowadays....smh.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I've decided to go with drop-in for now and ordered Pendaliner (the only drop-in I could find in WA at this time that doesn't require weeks of waiting). I will pick it up from the shop and install over the weekend, and share my initial impressions.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am using Dual Liner in mine. It arrives at your porch in a box and you snap it together. The floor is a rubber mat which is easier on your knees and keeps things from sliding and/or damaging the floor. Very nice product and you can swap it to your next truck! I have a couple of videos on YouTube.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Never had issues with my factory spray-in. I've thrown a load of rocks in there, dirt, lots of heavy items. Scrape the liner (leaving white-ish marks), sure. But dents or chips? Never an issue. I'm sure if you literally threw a load of cinder blocks in, or something similar with very distinct/sharp edges (rather than laid them in the bed flat surface down), that may do it.

I guess your mileage may vary. Probably one thing we can all agree on... a liner, whether drop in or spray in, is better than no liner.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never had issues with my factory spray-in. I've thrown a load of rocks in there, dirt, lots of heavy items. Scrape the liner (leaving white-ish marks), sure. But dents or chips? Never an issue. I'm sure if you literally threw a load of cinder blocks in, or something similar with very distinct/sharp edges (rather than laid them in the bed flat surface down), that may do it.

I guess your mileage may vary. Probably one thing we can all agree on... a liner, whether drop in or spray in, is better than no liner.
Like I said... factory spray in liners are usually Waaaay better than the aftermarket ones. No throwing blocks in my bed. That doesn't mean I took 5 minutes to set down each block either though lol. But yes...any liner is better than none. However, if it comes down to being the same price ...my money goes to the drop in liner. I almost bought a dual liner ...wish I did.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would have considered linex if it wasn’t so expensive here (750 minimum)

Went dualiner. The thick sticky rubber bed mat it comes with is pretty nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1badrebel

Reaction score
I just bought a 2020 Ram 1500 with the Rambox. Cannot find a drop in anywhere. Anyone know of one? I am not thrilled with spray in at all and have owned both. Thanks.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a Duelliner in my 15 Laramie. Worked great. I would pull the very thick bed mat once a year and it was always perfectly clean under it with the exception of the edges. Bed looked like new after 5 years.

purz

Reaction score
I was going to get drop in but no dealer has them in stock because they require you to order a bunch. They also didn't seem sure when it would come in and after shipping it was close to spray in cost. Might have better luck getting a non rambox drop in quicker. I ended up spraying and kind of regret it because I now have to spend a bunch more money on rubber mats or bed rug to protect most of my sporting gear I'll be putting in the back.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was going to get drop in but no dealer has them in stock because they require you to order a bunch. They also didn't seem sure when it would come in and after shipping it was close to spray in cost. Might have better luck getting a non rambox drop in quicker. I ended up spraying and kind of regret it because I now have to spend a bunch more money on rubber mats or bed rug to protect most of my sporting gear I'll be putting in the back.
I hear that...that's why I ended up regretting my roll-on kit. Only costs me $120...same quality as a lineX, just more of a rubberized texture. But a drop in would've been better.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just put this mat in my 2020 5.7" bed. Just the right thickness and fits perfectly. There are thicker bed mats but this is great for ease of in/out if you need to clean. I got the part number for my truck on DeeZee site then ordered it from Amazon in case I needed to return it.

deezeemat1.jpg deezeemat2.jpg deezeemat3.jpg

purz

Reaction score
I just put this mat in my 2020 5.7" bed. Just the right thickness and fits perfectly. There are thicker bed mats but this is great for ease of in/out if you need to clean. I got the part number for my truck on DeeZee site then ordered it from Amazon in case I needed to return it.

View attachment 66897 View attachment 66898 View attachment 66899
Did it smell at all or just the usual rubber smell? I was going to just get a stall mat from tractor supply but tons of reviews say theres a terrible odor that won't go away. Was lookin at the mat you got and just cutting it to fit rambox bed.

purz

Reaction score
What's the point of having the spray-on if you're just going to put a mat down? Lol

I mean people do it for extra protection but ya in my case I'm just throwing money away. Made a bad quick judgement decision because I wanted to start hauling my kayaks in my bed and was worried how much they'd beat up a bare bed on a leased truck. I was probably over thinking and over worrying, never had a truck without a liner before and I've never leased a truck. Not sure how easily they can get dinged up or how lenient chrysler is with bed damage at end of lease.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So items in your bed won’t slide. if your hauling furniture/appliances etc they won’t get damaged on the bottom. It’s an extra level of protection anyways... the line x is still there to do its job. Let’s not act like a additional $80-100 if that for a rubber bed mat is breaking the bank.. when your spending $35k+ on a new truck... or save yourself a lil money and gamble that a drop in liner won’t scratch and damage your paint overtime causing rust to start becoming a issue.

Last edited:

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did it smell at all or just the usual rubber smell? I was going to just get a stall mat from tractor supply but tons of reviews say theres a terrible odor that won't go away. Was lookin at the mat you got and just cutting it to fit rambox bed.
Well I never brought into the house, just went from the mail truck into the bed but I know if it was one of those stinky Chinese rubber mats I would have noticed. I was right up next to it when I took the pic with my phone and I didn't smell anything...not did I smell it when I was installing my bed cover so I think it's OK.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Moved a full sectional couch today...slid the parts into the bed....some of the liner scrapped off. I'll post a pic in just a few...

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Moved a full sectional couch today...slid the parts into the bed....some of the liner scrapped off. I'll post a pic in just a few...

I have to assume this would be covered be linex warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here it is...looks like this in the entire bed...from moving a damn sectional sofa...once. Still think spray on is best? Lol

20200830_111305.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread