5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limitations on mods, etorque vs non?

Brunzca

Reaction score
i agree with darksteel, gt are awesome, i love my laramie gt,
if you have the chance, test drive one,
Awesome, will do. I dont see any gt’s for sale in my area, but will keep an eye out. As of now, I’m back and forth between Laramie and limited. Great deals on a couple Laramies locally, but could order the Limited from MD for close to the same price. One limited here has almost everything I want, at a Laramie price, but it’s 4x2. I don’t off-road, but more lift options available for 4x4, and resale (if/when I get rid of that one) will hurt. May keep the lift down to 4” on the new truck, anyway.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
4wd isn’t necessary living in Florida and wont hurt resale as much as you would think selling it or trading it there now if it was up north yeah you probably wanna go the 4wd route. Especially if your not doing anything that requires it. Most dealers around here don’t order to many 4wd from my experience since most don’t need or want to pay extra for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brunzca

Reaction score
4wd isn’t necessary living in Florida and wont hurt resale as much as you would think selling it or trading it there now if it was up north yeah you probably wanna go the 4wd route. Especially if your not doing anything that requires it. Most dealers around here don’t order to many 4wd from my experience since most don’t need or want to pay extra for it.

i dont have it on my current truck, but it seems to be killing the resale, even here. I will at least keep my options open. Thanks

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
i dont have it on my current truck, but it seems to be killing the resale, even here. I will at least keep my options open. Thanks
4x4 just means more parts to go bad. 0 reason to have it in FL imo.
Only a fool would give less in value to a 4x2 vs a 4x4.

Also you can get almost every single feature on a Laramie that comes on a Limited. Looks like they brought the ability back to get the GT package and the HUD on the Laramie. They killed it during the chip shortage which was annoying and one of the things that forced me into a Limited.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When I lived in South Florida, I was of the same opinion. Bought a brand new 2017 4x2 Tacoma.
Then 2 years later I moved to Tennessee. When I experienced my first ice event, I was standing at the top of my driveway that slopes about 25’ down to the street going, “sure wish I had opted for that 4x4”. Told myself I’d never buy another 2WD vehicle ever again.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
When I lived in South Florida, I was of the same opinion. Bought a brand new 2017 4x2 Tacoma.
Then 2 years later I moved to Tennessee. When I experienced my first ice event, I was standing at the top of my driveway that slopes about 25’ down to the street going, “sure wish I had opted for that 4x4”. Told myself I’d never buy another 2WD vehicle ever again.
Tires are more important then drive train.

My 2012 Camaro with a 6.2 rwd with snow tires preforms better in the snow then my Ram, Silverado, and Kia Optima (both trucks 4x4 and kia fwd).
Never got stuck even once and it was my daily driver year around.

The only thing I had better then that was when I put snow tires on my Infinity G35x. When I changed it from AWD to 50\50 split it was just not possible to lose traction with snow tires.
With regular all season tires it would lose traction all the time (tcs would help and adjust though).

I fail to see how having 4x4 will help you going down your driveway unless you have your truck in reverse the whole way down spinning the tires backwards while sliding???

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

My 2012 Camaro with a 6.2 rwd with snow tires preforms better in the snow then my Ram, Silverado, and Kia Optima (both trucks 4x4 and kia fwd).
Never got stuck even once and it was my daily driver year around.

The only thing I had better then that was when I put snow tires on my Infinity G35x. When I changed it from AWD to 50\50 split it was just not possible to lose traction with snow tires.
With regular all season tires it would lose traction all the time (tcs would help and adjust though).

I fail to see how having 4x4 will help you going down your driveway unless you have your truck in reverse the whole way down spinning the tires backwards while sliding???
It was more about how I’d get back up…

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It was more about how I’d get back up…
Ahhhhh.

Find a friendly neighbor nearby at the bottom of the hill and park there lol.

Can't count how many times I needed to park my 06 Mustang (v6) with rwd and all season tires down 2 hills in front of random peoples house after getting home from working during snow storms when I was a kid.
Had to go about 100 feet at around 50 degrees up, then a flat turn 90 degrees left (over 2 lanes of traffic) to another steep hill around 60 degrees (private road) with parking lots attached (flat)

A couple of times when no one was on the road, I actually was able to get a running start (in reverse) and power it up with all seasons, but if I could of afforded snow tires I wouldn't of had a problem.
I recall seeing a school bus sideways on that main road at least twice.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My 2012 Camaro with a 6.2 rwd with snow tires preforms better in the snow then my Ram, Silverado, and Kia Optima (both trucks 4x4 and kia fwd)
Only a fool would give less in value to a 4x2 vs a 4x4.

Also you can get almost every single feature on a Laramie that comes on a Limited. Looks like they brought the ability back to get the GT package and the HUD on the Laramie. They killed it during the chip shortage which was annoying and one of the things that forced me into a Limited.

Lots of need for 4X4 vehicles in Florida and the south. There are many people that get off road for many different reasons.

4X4 vehicles ARE more valuable than 4X2 vehicles. If they weren’t more valuable, they would cost the same. Much better resale.

In a later post you said that tires are better than drive train in reference to not getting stuck.
Don’t agree with this either. Give me 4WD or AWD with not good tires vs a 2WD with great tires all day. I see it every year with some of my friends trying to get up my steep, wet, muddy drive in their 2WD trucks with good tires after it rains ( I have to pull them up ), where 4WD and some AWD with highway tires have no issues.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Lots of need for 4X4 vehicles in Florida and the south. There are many people that get off road for many different reasons.

4X4 vehicles ARE more valuable than 4X2 vehicles. If they weren’t more valuable, they would cost the same. Much better resale.

In a later post you said that tires are better than drive train in reference to not getting stuck.
Don’t agree with this either. Give me 4WD or AWD with not good tires vs a 2WD with great tires all day. I see it every year with some of my friends trying to get up my steep, wet, muddy drive in their 2WD trucks after it rains ( I have to pull them up ), where 4WD and some AWD with highway tires have no issues.
Not once did I talk about going off-road, you are making that assumption which would contradict everything I posted.

You can't properly go off-road with 2wd unless you have a winch and have something to attach it to everything you get stuck and there's nothing you can do because half of your wheels don't move.

As far as traction is concerned tires are a much bigger impact then drivetrain. Obviously you should of been able to figure out what I meant because I reference snow tires and you wouldn't use snow tires to go off-roading as they are not nearly as durable and the mattery is way softer when compared against any other tire type such as all-seasons or AT tires.

Also the problem with your friends getting stuck after it rains, sounds like lack of knowing how to drive up a driveway or again, using the incorrect tires.
AT tires are meant to drive through mud, not summer or all-season tires or snow as it's a completely differnet tread and texture of tire... Again showing how important the right tire for the right kind of driving is.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not once did I talk about going off-road, you are making that assumption which would contradict everything I posted.

You can't properly go off-road with 2wd unless you have a winch and have something to attach it to everything you get stuck and there's nothing you can do because half of your wheels don't move.

As far as traction is concerned tires are a much bigger impact then drivetrain. Obviously you should of been able to figure out what I meant because I reference snow tires and you wouldn't use snow tires to go off-roading as they are not nearly as durable and the mattery is way softer when compared against any other tire type such as all-seasons or AT tires.

Also the problem with your friends getting stuck after it rains, sounds like lack of knowing how to drive up a driveway or again, using the incorrect tires.
AT tires are meant to drive through mud, not summer or all-season tires or snow as it's a completely differnet tread and texture of tire... Again showing how important the right tire for the right kind of driving is.

You earlier said 0 reason to have 4X4 in FL and a fool would give less value for 4X2 than 4X4.
My point is there is a lot of reasons ( more than 0 ) to have a 4WD truck in FL, going off road. Therefore, there is a demand for 4WD trucks in FL, and there is a higher value in 4WD vs 2WD, even in FL.

As far as getting up my steep, or any steep hill when wet and muddy, tires are important, but not NEARLY as important as having 4WD or AWD. I live it and see it all the time. In fact, I’ve had the tire vs 4WD /AWD conversation with my 2WD folks a hundred times. I really don’t like having to pull people up my drive. I usually will make 2WD vehicles park at the top of the hill when rain is forecast. But they say, “ Ive got new mud tires…. then I get the call….

Next time they get stuck, I will ask them to ask you HOW to drive up the hill. 😭

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You earlier said 0 reason to have 4X4 in FL and a fool would give less value for 4X2 than 4X4.
My point is there is a lot of reasons ( more than 0 ) to have a 4WD truck in FL, going off road. Therefore, there is a demand for 4WD trucks in FL, and there is a higher value in 4WD vs 2WD, even in FL.

As far as getting up my steep, or any steep hill when wet and muddy, tires are important, but not NEARLY as important as having 4WD or AWD. I live it and see it all the time. In fact, I’ve had the tire vs 4WD /AWD conversation with my 2WD folks a hundred times. I really don’t like having to pull people up my drive. I usually will make 2WD vehicles park at the top of the hill when rain is forecast. But they say, “ Ive got new mud tires…. then I get the call….

Next time they get stuck, I will ask them to ask you HOW to drive up the hill. 😭
Turn around and get a running start in reverse and go up the hill?

Nothing I had has anything to do with going off-road.
Maybe it's differnet where you live but there is no mud on roads after snow\rain\anything on any roads I have driven on. If you can't get up a hill because it's wet there is something malfunctioning between the steering wheel and seat.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends on OP usage, if he never needed a 4wd truck prior to this chances are his usage this time still wont require again depends on his future usage. If i was shopping for a Limited and found one for a Laramie price… but a 4x2 I would strongly consider it if 4wd wasn’t a issue for me. Yes your gonna pay more for a 4wd upfront and yes you’ll get more when its selling time but your also gonna save money up front going with the 4x2 route which of course means a bit less in trade in time. Really depends on your situation. Spec out the same truck but with 4wd and see what price MD gives you and compare them and decide.

Gotta lay out a plan to if you plan on lifting too like you say. 4” is a lot of lift and requires additional work and you may be sacrificing rams comfort. Compared to 3” or so theres a lot more affordable options while still retaining most of the factory comfort.

I only buy 4wd trucks myself personally and I live in Florida but more so since I work out of state and gotta be prepared for Northern winters if that happens to be where the next work site is. Is absolutely necessary… nope plenty of my coworkers have 2wd trucks but if also seen quite a few of them get stuck when the sites aren’t easily accessible minor inconvenience but not the end of the world. Tires make a huge difference buy quality and not just the cheapest.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Turn around and get a running start in reverse and go up the hill?

Nothing I had has anything to do with going off-road.
Maybe it's differnet where you live but there is no mud on roads after snow\rain\anything on any roads I have driven on. If you can't get up a hill because it's wet there is something malfunctioning between the steering wheel and seat.

The running start is helpful. The road is too long with turns to even try in reverse. You would end up in the ditch with a worse situation.

No offense, but when you say “ there is no mud on roads after snow/ rain/ anything on any roads I have driven on”, I can tell.

I have a cabin / home way back in the sticks that I spend most of my time in. Most of the homes out here have had roads cut through the woods with a dozer, like mine. It is too expensive to concrete or pave the long drives and roads so we put different sizes and types of rock down.

Unfortunately on steep roads like mine, the rocks will wash over time with rain. So mud is
inevitable. I grew up on dirt roads and have slopped through mud ever since.

The same principles apply to mud, snow, rain or anything slick. I’m going to leave ground clearance out of this conversation, but 2WD with good tires does not get you very far.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The running start is helpful. The road is too long with turns to even try in reverse. You would end up in the ditch with a worse situation.

No offense, but when you say “ there is no mud on roads after snow/ rain/ anything on any roads I have driven on”, I can tell.

I have a cabin / home way back in the sticks that I spend most of my time in. Most of the homes out here have had roads cut through the woods with a dozer, like mine. It is too expensive to concrete or pave the long drives and roads so we put different sizes and types of rock down.

Unfortunately on steep roads like mine, the rocks will wash over time with rain. So mud is
inevitable. I grew up on dirt roads and have slopped through mud ever since.

The same principles apply to mud, snow, rain or anything slick. I’m going to leave ground clearance out of this conversation, but 2WD with good tires does not get you very far.
I mean that's all fine and dainty, but I don't consider private unpaved roads "typical" use and something we should assume people are going to be driving over unless they explicitly say.

Obviously for someone like you 4wd is going to help a lot more then people that just drive the trucks on roads
When I say roads, I mean paved solid ground with names planted on sticks in the ground by the government.

This thread was about going from a v6 4x2 to a v8 4x4 for performance, so I would believe majority of the above doesn't relate to what the OP is looking for.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome, will do. I dont see any gt’s for sale in my area, but will keep an eye out. As of now, I’m back and forth between Laramie and limited. Great deals on a couple Laramies locally, but could order the Limited from MD for close to the same price. One limited here has almost everything I want, at a Laramie price, but it’s 4x2. I don’t off-road, but more lift options available for 4x4, and resale (if/when I get rid of that one) will hurt. May keep the lift down to 4” on the new truck, anyway.
Why would you want to lift a 4X2 truck?

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mean that's all fine and dainty, but I don't consider private unpaved roads "typical" use and something we should assume people are going to be driving over unless they explicitly say.

Obviously for someone like you 4wd is going to help a lot more then people that just drive the trucks on roads
When I say roads, I mean paved solid ground with names planted on sticks in the ground by the government.

This thread was about going from a v6 4x2 to a v8 4x4 for performance, so I would believe majority of the above doesn't relate to what the OP is looking for.

Yep yep yep.

Just didn’t want anyone to believe your comment that “ tires are more important than drive train”.

. Thought I would throw the BS flag up. Especially since Brunzca talked about lifting a 2WD truck. Wait, what?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yep yep yep.

Just didn’t want anyone to believe your comment that “ tires are more important than drive train”.

. Thought I would throw the BS flag up. Especially since Brunzca talked about lifting a 2WD truck. Wait, what?
Tire are more important then drivetrain on regular roads in the United States.
You are taking a very particular scenario and twisting what I said.

Off-roading performance has nothing to do with a vehicle that is sold for on road usage for performance.
You can tweak your truck for off-roading but my above statement is still correct for the intended use of vehicles.

Why would you want to lift a 4X2 truck?
What does 4x2 have to do with a lift???

Maybe he likes the way it looks.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tire are more important then drivetrain on regular roads in the United States.
You are taking a very particular scenario and twisting what I said.

Off-roading performance has nothing to do with a vehicle that is sold for on road usage for performance.
You can tweak your truck for off-roading but my above statement is still correct for the intended use of vehicles.

What does 4x2 have to do with a lift???

Maybe he likes the way it looks.

I’m not twisting anything. You were commenting on Eighty and his ice event and his driveway, and your experience with snow covered roads. And you said tires are more important than drivetrain.

You commented specifically on “not getting stuck”. Not getting stuck ( snow, ice, mud, water) is more dependent on drivetrain than tires. Much better off not getting stuck, and getting unstuck with 4WD or AWD. Witnessed it many times, like I said.

Now you say regular roads…

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online