5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limitations on mods, etorque vs non?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When I got a quote in December of 2021 from MD I believe it was only a 7-8k discount from MSRP.
I was looking at one partly loaded (level 2 tech package I think)
The discount on the regular 1500s were better then the TRX, they said discounts didn't apply as much as it was a premium vehicle :-/
Here’s what Mark Dodge is offering now:

1673566374484.png

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It says orders must be placed by 12/31/2022 :p
Looks like the TRX I want goes for 103k, so I could get it for 92k.
Would have "only" costed me an additional 25k from my 2022 fully loaded Limited lol.
Hey @datdudes - can you confirm current TRX discounts for the group?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is front and passenger side intakes for screw chargers, just not what we usually see on hemis. Be a guinea pig and get one of the makers to develop a kit. As said above, centrifugal is available.

All other mods should be compatible?

Also as said, I see absolutely no mpg benefit from Etorque, and the reduced payload really annoys me. I was wondering if the 6.4 intake manifold would fit myself.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So with the 5.7L engine, there have been many many people who have installed the Scat Pack Stage 2 camshaft kit, long tube headers, and then go to a dyno for tuning and they come away with 80-100 horsepower gained at the wheels. That would likely translate to around 440 HP at the crank. You're talking $2,500 in parts and then 8-10 hours of labor. It would be a fun and pretty fast truck at that point.

The option above that would be a supercharger kit. They sell for $8k all day long, a few options to pick from, and labor for installation is about the same as the cam kit. Most people agree that 550 crank HP is where you will end up as a maximum safe power level.

The TRX you guys keep pushing him toward is a completely different ballgame. Over 700 HP, $90k realistic starting MSRP puts it $30k over a Laramie, $35k over a Bighorn, and insurance rates are nuts. Yes you get maximum power but you pay dearly for it.

So there are lots of options depending on how much you want to spend. But I see nothing wrong with a 5.7 Hemi that just has some bolt on or bolt in parts thrown at it. These trucks are quick stock, so any go fast parts will make it all a guy really needs. This past Sunday my cousin and I did a roll race. His truck is a 2020 F-250 with Powerstroke. 1,050 lb/ft from the factory, 10-speed trans, 3.73 gears. On paper it's a monster. I put truck lengths on him. He and I were both surprised. These 5.7s are no slouch.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So with the 5.7L engine, there have been many many people who have installed the Scat Pack Stage 2 camshaft kit, long tube headers, and then go to a dyno for tuning and they come away with 80-100 horsepower gained at the wheels. That would likely translate to around 440 HP at the crank. You're talking $2,500 in parts and then 8-10 hours of labor. It would be a fun and pretty fast truck at that point.

The option above that would be a supercharger kit. They sell for $8k all day long, a few options to pick from, and labor for installation is about the same as the cam kit. Most people agree that 550 crank HP is where you will end up as a maximum safe power level.

The TRX you guys keep pushing him toward is a completely different ballgame. Over 700 HP, $90k realistic starting MSRP puts it $30k over a Laramie, $35k over a Bighorn, and insurance rates are nuts. Yes you get maximum power but you pay dearly for it.

So there are lots of options depending on how much you want to spend. But I see nothing wrong with a 5.7 Hemi that just has some bolt on or bolt in parts thrown at it. These trucks are quick stock, so any go fast parts will make it all a guy really needs. This past Sunday my cousin and I did a roll race. His truck is a 2020 F-250 with Powerstroke. 1,050 lb/ft from the factory, 10-speed trans, 3.73 gears. On paper it's a monster. I put truck lengths on him. He and I were both surprised. These 5.7s are no slouch.
doing a quick search on google ( many performqnce review and challenger forum) mention that the scat pack stage 2 is good for 30hp with tuning (a.camshaft would work proprelly without it anyway) that kit is about 1700 to 1800$ without the tuning, the tuning they charge extra 799$ so that about 2500$ without labor for extra 30hp... thats expensive they also claim that if you complet stage 1, 2 and 3, then you can gain about 70 to 80hp but that cost around 9000$ just in part...

so your 80hp to 100hp claim.for stage 2 at wheels... how do you acheive that? also the 2500$ is very unlikely for everything... more 3500$ plus another 1000$ in labor for a realiste 40hp

headders wont give you the missing 70hp maybe 15hp with the tuning... unless all those person in these.site are wrong(maybe) not trying to start a debate here.. just want to stay realist for the op mod plan, on real cost and gain.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
doing a quick search on google ( many performqnce review and challenger forum) mention that the scat pack stage 2 is good for 30hp with tuning (a.camshaft would work proprelly without it anyway) that kit is about 1700 to 1800$ without the tuning, the tuning they charge extra 799$ so that about 2500$ without labor for extra 30hp... thats expensive they also claim that if you complet stage 1, 2 and 3, then you can gain about 70 to 80hp but that cost around 9000$ just in part...

so your 80hp to 100hp claim.for stage 2 at wheels... how do you acheive that? also the 2500$ is very unlikely for everything... more 3500$ plus another 1000$ in labor for a realiste 40hp

headders wont give you the missing 70hp maybe 15hp with the tuning... unless all those person in these.site are wrong(maybe) not trying to start a debate here.. just want to stay realist for the op mod plan, on real cost and gain.

All I know is there are countless members who have done cam, headers, dyno tuning and they post their sheets all the time and they commonly are seeing 90 HP gained.

There is no way in hell anybody would spend that kind of money if they were only getting 30.

The cam kit as you mentioned is $1,800. Most guys are doing OE Hellcat lifters for $400ish. Then odds and ends like MDS block off plugs, etc. $2,500. It's not rocket science. The cam kit has the valve springs, gaskets, push rods, etc. None of that is extra.

The wildcard is labor. A lot of guys do it themselves. If you pay, you're looking at $1,000 or a little more.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Or, if you don't want the Scat Pack Stage 2/Comp 270 cam, you can step up another level and get even more power. It's amazing what the 5.7 will do with only a cam, headers, and correct tuning. And I've seen some vendors sell this setup for $1,200ish which is a pretty big savings over Mopar's OE offering.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Or, if you don't want the Scat Pack Stage 2/Comp 270 cam, you can step up another level and get even more power. It's amazing what the 5.7 will do with only a cam, headers, and correct tuning. And I've seen some vendors sell this setup for $1,200ish which is a pretty big savings over Mopar's OE offering.

like i mention, im not trying to start a debate, i know some came kit might give big numbers, but not the scat pack stage 2 that you suggested... that one is good for around 30hp that was the point. and not at around the price of the scat pack 2 , unless op does the install himself

now is there camshaft that will give better hp that the 30hp scat pack i think so.

but 100whp thats still hard to acheive with cam, the first video you posted he achieve 65hp at crank not wheel with aftermarket cam, lifters headders and tuning.... so thats like 40is hp at wheel... far from the 100whp

the 2500$ you mention for the 30hp kit, yes thats part prices but dont forget dyno and install labor, precise dyno is expensive, its not a 200$ job

the 2nd video they acheive 89whp thats impressive

but they put more then just a cam and headders... that mod.is way more expensive then the 2500$ of the scat pack stage 2,

if i had to guess that mod in 2nd video would be about 3000 in part only, another 1500is in install and dont know for dyno but guessing alot has alot of stuff was fine tune so i guess between 5000$ and 6000$ but it prove that bolt ons can add power , but at what price

at the end it all depends what the op plan and budget is, but no way he will acheive 100wheel hp with a 2500$ or 3000$ unless going nitrous or doing install and dyno himself

Last edited:

Orion10182011

Reaction score
A base TRX can be purchased for less than $80k. Not trying to sell you on it, but it would check your boxes. And you’d have 307 more ponies under the hood compared to a 5.7L.
Not really... Well maybe, if you have the one dealer in America that doesn't slap a $15,000 FU markup on a TRX.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not really... Well maybe, if you have the one dealer in America that doesn't slap a $15,000 FU markup on a TRX.

8k$ off msrp plus manufacture discount rebate... 88- 8 = 80 minus the 1k or 2k ram often offer and sometimes more... you are under 80k$ no ? if you bring this offer with you most dealer will equal it
this offer has been renew as long as 2023 trx are available

Screenshot_20230113_121246_Samsung Internet.jpg

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
8k$ off msrp plus manufacture discount rebate... 88- 8 = 80 minus the 1k or 2k ram often offer and sometimes more... you are under 80k$ no ? if you bring this offer with you most dealer will equal it
this offer has been renew as long as 2023 trx are available
There are no manufacturer rebates on the TRX...
Also almost no dealer will honor MD pricing, that's just a sad fact.

Current on the Ram website a base TRX is $86,450. At MD that would bring the sale price down to $78,450, which imo is a waste of money.

The base model has nothing except basic features and a nice engine.
Cloth seats, no heads up display, no speed adaptive cruise control, no ventilated seats, no wireless charger, no surround view cameras no rear window defroster, the list goes on. A base model TRX sucks unless you want no creature comforts for $80k.

IMO getting a TRX without level 2 equipment group is a sin. and that shoots the MSRP up to 97k, which makes the sale price $87,445.
My fully loaded 2022 Limited had a sale price of 67k but also had rebates which took the price to around 65k, a difference of around 25k.

I guess the question would be, do you plan on adding more then $25k worth of parts into a Limited then a TRX might be a better starting base as you don't need to add as much.
Using a lower level trim like a Bighorn gives you more wiggle room to put stuff in (but you are still working on a 5.7 and not a 6.2 engine as a base.

The OP originally asked about limitations of eTorque vs non-eTorque. The TRX really don't belong in this conversation as OP doesn't want to spend that much money.

Another Bighorn with a 5'7 with eTorque (since that's all you can get new for 2023) would likely fit what OP wants. You can put exhaust on with tunes etc on an eTorque truck and it's fine.
Maybe even a pre-built GT package Laramie could be a good start

MRSP of a loaded Laramie with Gt package and HUD is cheaper then the sale price of a base model TRX.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I see you're in Kentucky. Dan Cummins in Georgetown and Paris is offering 4% below invoice. So for a fully-loaded TRX, it would be around $11k off (not sure what that works out to on a base model, but I bet it's around $8k).

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
MRSP of a loaded Laramie with Gt package and HUD is cheaper then the sale price of a base model TRX.
Yes, a Laramie or Rebel GT would be the best equivalent to a TRX (before starting upgrades). The G/T's have the stick shifter, paddle shifters, etc.

But along with the engine in a TRX, you also get upgraded driveline components (e.g., massive driveshaft) and upgraded suspension components (e.g., massive UCA's, active-dampening shocks, etc.). If you are upgrading a standard 1500 DT for higher horsepower, you'd also want to look at upgrading the driveline at a minimum.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, a Laramie or Rebel GT would be the best equivalent to a TRX (before starting upgrades). The G/T's have the stick shifter, paddle shifters, etc.

But along with the engine in a TRX, you also get upgraded driveline components (e.g., massive driveshaft) and upgraded suspension components (e.g., massive UCA's, active-dampening shocks, etc.). If you are upgrading a standard 1500 DT for higher horsepower, you'd also want to look at upgrading the driveline at a minimum.
Yeah i'm not saying a TRX is bad, its just a big price jump and doesn't seem like OP wants to spend that much.
Going from a v6 to a v8 is a big jump to begin with anyways.
The deal is - I Love my Bighorn, everything about it, except that it’s a 6cyl. I should have gotten the Hemi when I bought it, but too late to worry about that now. So, looking at the Bighorns and Laramies,with 5.7L, and doing my due diligence first.

I dont know what kind of mods (engine/performance-wise) I’d make to the new truck, other than exhaust, and maybe a tune, in the immediate future. Realistically - I’ll probably never add a SC, I was just giving an example of the one thing I knew of, that was “limited” by etorque on the 5.7L. I have etorque on my current truck, so familiar with it, but didn’t know what (if any) limitations I might have down the road. What I don’t want to do, is spend 5x more than it would have cost for just the Hemi upfront to get into a new truck,, then find out 2 years from now I can’t change things because of the hybrid.
If OP doesn't plan on driving off-road would be better served with a Laramie GT, if OP wants to go off-roading then could do a Rebel GT.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are no manufacturer rebates on the TRX...
Also almost no dealer will honor MD pricing, that's just a sad fact.

Current on the Ram website a base TRX is $86,450. At MD that would bring the sale price down to $78,450, which imo is a waste of money.

The base model has nothing except basic features and a nice engine.
Cloth seats, no heads up display, no speed adaptive cruise control, no ventilated seats, no wireless charger, no surround view cameras no rear window defroster, the list goes on. A base model TRX sucks unless you want no creature comforts for $80k.

IMO getting a TRX without level 2 equipment group is a sin. and that shoots the MSRP up to 97k, which makes the sale price $87,445.
My fully loaded 2022 Limited had a sale price of 67k but also had rebates which took the price to around 65k, a difference of around 25k.

I guess the question would be, do you plan on adding more then $25k worth of parts into a Limited then a TRX might be a better starting base as you don't need to add as much.
Using a lower level trim like a Bighorn gives you more wiggle room to put stuff in (but you are still working on a 5.7 and not a 6.2 engine as a base.

The OP originally asked about limitations of eTorque vs non-eTorque. The TRX really don't belong in this conversation as OP doesn't want to spend that much money.

Another Bighorn with a 5'7 with eTorque (since that's all you can get new for 2023) would likely fit what OP wants. You can put exhaust on with tunes etc on an eTorque truck and it's fine.
Maybe even a pre-built GT package Laramie could be a good start

i agree i would not buy a base trx, i would go level 2, carbon kit, stickers, rambars etc..

but the point was its possible to get a base trx under 80k$ and it is

again i would not do that, and also op said its not the route he wanted to go either

Brunzca

Reaction score
Yeah i'm not saying a TRX is bad, its just a big price jump and doesn't seem like OP wants to spend that much.
Going from a v6 to a v8 is a big jump to begin with anyways.

If OP doesn't plan on driving off-road would be better served with a Laramie GT, if OP wants to go off-roading then could do a Rebel GT.
Thanks, I haven’t looked closely at the GT, will check it out

Users who are viewing this thread