5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limitations on mods, etorque vs non?

Brunzca

Reaction score
I know this has likely been covered over (More than) a few threads. But, trying to get some current info, all in one place.

I want to upgrade to a Hemi, while its still available. I’ve been looking for a non-etorque, for multiple reasons (no battery behind rear seat- want that room for stereo equip, potential long-term reliability/costs, and ability to add performance mods). The latter of these is the reason for this post. I don’t know what all I might want to add, eventually, re: performance. But, it’s going to cost me a LOT to go from a 2021 4x2 V6 to a 2022 4x4 Hemi, so I want to ensure that if I do it, I won’t be unhappy later due to limitations on etorque.

So, what can you do to a non-etorque, that you can’t do to the hybrid? I believe there are multiple supercharger options for non-etorque, but only one currently for the ET. Anything else that I CANT do to ET?

Im still looking, and maybe can find the one I want without - but, so far, havent Been able to locate a 2022/non-ET, with all the other options I want, so may only have the option for 2022 with ET, or ordering a 2023 (Obviously with ET)

high-level info is ok, thanks in advance!

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
if I had $100k burning a hole in my pocket, no brainer. But, not an option for me
A base TRX can be purchased for less than $80k. Not trying to sell you on it, but it would check your boxes. And you’d have 307 more ponies under the hood compared to a 5.7L.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
eTorque doesn't really matter as far as performance is concerned.
You can turn off\disable all of the features that would affect you.

You have a generator instead of an alternator, and a $1500 battery back that ahs a 7 or 8 year warranty if it dies.

I would be more concerned about cylinder deactivation.

I would of rather got a TRX instead of my Limited, but I didn't want to pay\finance the extra 20k for it.
I don't see how you can get a supercharge and installed for under $15k at LEAST?

Unless you plan on getting a base model Bighorn I don't see why you would get a 1500 and then plan on adding a supercharger, kind of silly. Just save up your money until you can afford a TRX.
Building a race car? if not why invest so much money into a basic truck.

Brunzca

Reaction score
is that kind of where you want to end up though? building something similar to a TRX?

eTorque doesn't really matter as far as performance is concerned.
You can turn off\disable all of the features that would affect you.

You have a generator instead of an alternator, and a $1500 battery back that ahs a 7 or 8 year warranty if it dies.

I would be more concerned about cylinder deactivation.

I would of rather got a TRX instead of my Limited, but I didn't want to pay\finance the extra 20k for it.
I don't see how you can get a supercharge and installed for under $15k at LEAST?

Unless you plan on getting a base model Bighorn I don't see why you would get a 1500 and then plan on adding a supercharger, kind of silly. Just save up your money until you can afford a TRX.
Building a race car? if not why invest so much money into a basic truck.

thanks, appreciate the feedback.

The deal is - I Love my Bighorn, everything about it, except that it’s a 6cyl. I should have gotten the Hemi when I bought it, but too late to worry about that now. So, looking at the Bighorns and Laramies,with 5.7L, and doing my due diligence first.

I dont know what kind of mods (engine/performance-wise) I’d make to the new truck, other than exhaust, and maybe a tune, in the immediate future. Realistically - I’ll probably never add a SC, I was just giving an example of the one thing I knew of, that was “limited” by etorque on the 5.7L. I have etorque on my current truck, so familiar with it, but didn’t know what (if any) limitations I might have down the road. What I don’t want to do, is spend 5x more than it would have cost for just the Hemi upfront to get into a new truck,, then find out 2 years from now I can’t change things because of the hybrid.

Sounds like this isn’t really a concern I should have. Thanks again

Brunzca

Reaction score
A base TRX can be purchased for less than $80k. Not trying to sell you on it, but it would check your boxes. And you’d have 307 more ponies under the hood compared to a 5.7L.
Yeah, still a bit above what I’m looking at, as much as I’d love to have it. I’m going to have to give up my 0% financing, plus the increased price on the new truck. i Just dont want to put that much money into the base truck.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
392 (aka 6.4L) is far weaker than the supercharged 6.2L hellcat.

1672868985662.png

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My experience has been that there are very few things you can do to a standard 5.7 that you can't do with an ET. If you are wanting to expand your sound system you may want the extra space provided by the non-e. You probably already considered that you will feel the MPG hit when you bump up to either Hemi, but it bears saying, especially if you plan on a tuner and/or SC.

If I could have purchased my current Ram exactly as it is without ET I would have done that without blinking twice. It is a fine system, performs smoothly, but I don't see enough value to offset the added weight of the components. Add to that that some guys have indicated parts are scarce when the ET breaks, and I wonder if I may regret having bought this truck someday.....Or, I may never have problems and it will be the best truck I ever owned 😃

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If I could have purchased my current Ram exactly as it is without ET I would have done that without blinking twice. It is a fine system, performs smoothly, but I don't see enough value
I have the exact same feeling.
When I ordered mine eTorque was same price as regular Hemi and I figured it would be worth it.
Since I don't use start-stop or even MDS I put extra drain on my truck coasting to charge a battery that never gets used and lose mpg.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know this has likely been covered over (More than) a few threads. But, trying to get some current info, all in one place.

I want to upgrade to a Hemi, while its still available. I’ve been looking for a non-etorque, for multiple reasons (no battery behind rear seat- want that room for stereo equip, potential long-term reliability/costs, and ability to add performance mods). The latter of these is the reason for this post. I don’t know what all I might want to add, eventually, re: performance. But, it’s going to cost me a LOT to go from a 2021 4x2 V6 to a 2022 4x4 Hemi, so I want to ensure that if I do it, I won’t be unhappy later due to limitations on etorque.

So, what can you do to a non-etorque, that you can’t do to the hybrid? I believe there are multiple supercharger options for non-etorque, but only one currently for the ET. Anything else that I CANT do to ET?

Im still looking, and maybe can find the one I want without - but, so far, havent Been able to locate a 2022/non-ET, with all the other options I want, so may only have the option for 2022 with ET, or ordering a 2023 (Obviously with ET)

high-level info is ok, thanks in advance!
what would be your goal? i think to answer your question right, you need a game plan on want you really want to achieve as far as.performance and budget wise..

then you can check what is available, but other then the supercharger, the other mods will still be expensive and give you minimal gains in performance.. so again making a plan is probably your best bet to choose what truck to buy

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like a base TRX is around 86k now...
That's MSRP. You can get as much as $12,000 off from one of the discount dealers. For a base model, it's more like $8k off.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's MSRP. You can get as much as $12,000 off from one of the discount dealers. For a base model, it's more like $8k off.
When I got a quote in December of 2021 from MD I believe it was only a 7-8k discount from MSRP.
I was looking at one partly loaded (level 2 tech package I think)
The discount on the regular 1500s were better then the TRX, they said discounts didn't apply as much as it was a premium vehicle :-/

Users who are viewing this thread