5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light bar Power Wire

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If anyone is considering going up from the 20" light bar, I installed a Rough Country 30" curved bar this weekend and it fits nearly flush, almost as if it was made for the lower grille. Probably wouldn't work with the parking sensors, and you do have to fab up your own mount, but I'm very happy with the size and fit. Not sure anything larger than a 30" bar would fit because space become limited towards the edges of the grille.

View attachment 26130

View attachment 26131

View attachment 26132

View attachment 26133

Looks awesome. Thanks for the post.

alex2631

Reaction score
Thanks for a lot of info. Doing the install tomorrow.
Did anyone find out how to wire a keyed on power to the lightbar yet?

rceagle1a

Reaction score
Right on , they made that way easier on the 5th gen. Very perplexing why and how anyone would switch the whole fuse box to the opposite side???
That isn’t the same as my 2019 bighorn, my fuse box has a battery cable linked to that stud so it’s hot all the time.

rceagle1a

Reaction score
OK so this isn't my picture(person moved fuse box to passenger side) but it is a picture of the fuse box, just rotate it so the studs are pointing toward the passenger side and the fuse box is over beside the battery. So the stud I used is the one circle.
Still raining too hard for me to get a pic of mine.
That stud is always hot. Did you find a switched stud?

2019REBEL

Reaction score
That stud is always hot. Did you find a switched stud?

It is always hot on my Rebel but the way my remote switch works it doesn't turn it on the first time I hit the button. It takes 2 presses on the button to activate my light and I got a timer on it from one our old fire trucks so when I shut the engine off 5 minute timer turns the power off.

Overwatch86

Reaction score
Looks great! I plan on doing the RC 20" light as well. In addition I'd like to do 2" square lights on the far ends of the grill (outside of the sensors, pictured). Based on your experience do you think the 2" square lights would work there?

Thanks in advance,
Leif

View attachment 7683

View attachment 7684
How did you install the 2” square lights on the far ends of the grill (outside of the sensors, pictured).

John Jensen

Reaction score
I bought the Baja Designs 20" bar for my ordered 2020. They have excellent install instructions. They show a unique way to get into the cab without going through the firewall. I won't be doing that as I plan to power off my Auxillary switches. Here is their instructions - hope it helps someone.

Attachments

• Baja Designs Instructions.pdf
    696.3 KB · Views: 148

rebel without a cause

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Rebel and the lower grill is solid, honey comb design or whatever it might be called but it's got a solid backing unlike the Ram grill. Screenshot_20200129-104138_Google.jpg

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Rebel and the lower grill is solid, honey comb design or whatever it might be called but it's got a solid backing unlike the Ram grill. View attachment 51730
Seek out old threads on this. There's a two-piece part on earlier builds you might be able to source, as long as it fits the Rebel.

Aaron506

Reaction score
May I ask how did you remove this piece
file

Seems my 19 RAM's lower grill insert is one piece, not able to separate the mesh with the back piece at all. Any idea?
the part number for the mesh lower grille is 68334531AD it is a direct replacement for the solid lower grille. You can find them on the internet for $40-$50. I used this on my 2020 Bighorn, everything is the same as the OEM piece

Xtreme1

Reaction score
I bought the open grill piece from dodge. The rough country website has the part number listed. Just change it out. I think it was 80 bucks Canadian. Check it out!
This light kit will not work on the sport. I went to the dealer and the sport option has the lower grill as a solid piece. The only way you could make it work is to cut the whole center section of the grill out. Therefore it would not be hidden behind the grill and would not be flush to the front of the grill opening. I am not sure if the non sport grill would fit. It appears to be the same shape . Thought about ordering the non sport grill to see if it fits.

Reaction score
So I wired mine in last week, I put it on the accessory stud on the fuse box under the hood which is only powered on when it's in "ACC or RUN" that way if I leave it on accidentally it will turn itself off and not kill the battery. I used the SpeedTech Lights wireless remote that way I didn't have to run wires into the cab and leaves me 5 more accessory wire for future projects.

If you want a picture of where I mounted the remote under the hood let me know and I will take a few more pics.
Did you use the Speedtech to control a relay or send power to the light bar itself? I'm using it for ditch lights, totaling 72 watts which is roughly 6 amps. Technically, the Speedtech is rated to handle 10 amps per channel. I'm trying to decide whether to wire in a relay or use the control box to power the lamps.

2019REBEL

Reaction score
Did you use the Speedtech to control a relay or send power to the light bar itself? I'm using it for ditch lights, totaling 72 watts which is roughly 6 amps. Technically, the Speedtech is rated to handle 10 amps per channel. I'm trying to decide whether to wire in a relay or use the control box to power the lamps.
Just to send the power to the relay. With the first press of the button on the remote "wakes/turns on" the control box and the second press on same button turns on the light.

Carlmyman

Reaction score
OK so this isn't my picture(person moved fuse box to passenger side) but it is a picture of the fuse box, just rotate it so the studs are pointing toward the passenger side and the fuse box is over beside the battery. So the stud I used is the one circle.
Still raining too hard for me to get a pic of mine.
No one moved anything, the picture was flipped!

Users who are viewing this thread